Beane is “Trying Like Hell” To Move Up For a QB

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

12, 22, 53, 65 and 2019 2nd for 2 and a 5th. 

That should get it done. 

Add in next year's 1st and you probably get it done. That being said I wouldn't give up that much for someone who is maybe not even focused on football.

Not sure how I feel about this as it sounds like it will be very expensive...if its to go up and get Baker Mayfield or Darnold I would feel better about it than if it was Allen or Rosen.  But I do fear the costs of these moves to get up into the top 5.  But ultimately, if Beane and McD see a guy they believe is a MUST grab prospect, then I get it and will support it.  I still prefer a cheaper trade up to 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 for one of the guys who ultimately falls out of the top 5, but my 100% first choice is Baker and he seems to have had a lot of interaction with us and if we went up and got him I would be ecstatic.  

Darnold would also be very exciting...he was my top guy coming into the new year.  His play was frustrating at times this year, and he is far from a lock, but his upside is still immense and would prefer him way more than Rosen because I have real durability concerns about Rosen and his Cutler-esque demeanor.  I wont hate drafting Rosen, just feel there is a lot more risk with him than Baker or Darnold.

If its Allen...I know less about him, so I don't have as much confidence in him simply because of the accuracy concerns and I always more leery of combine heroes who dont have the game tape to match.  But, needless to say, his combine was quite impressive and would be exciting prospect still.  

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

So they would not only have to move up, but also must pick the player YOU like as opposed to the one they might like ? It makes one wonder why you would bother following the team. Just strange to me. I'd like them to move up to 2 the most because it would give them the most possible options - 3 out of the 4 top ranked QBs. That's the best scenario for the FO, rather than hoping their target falls to them. So that's what I prefer. 

it's strange to you that I live in Buffalo and my team has been a joke for my entire life and you are wondering why I have a hard time trusting them?  funny.  it's not a choice to follow them.  they are me and i am them.

too many reports of them wanting Josh Allen over much better prospects like Rosen for me to trust the situation.  I'm just stating a fact that i feel more comfortable with them getting someone like Mayfield at pick 5-7 because i don't trust the situation.  newsflash, they aren't going to listen to anything i say and this is just a message board so i'm just stating my opinion.  you have stated your opinion in that you would like them to give up everything to move to 2 and i would be fine with that, i just don't feel comfortable once there that they would choose the right person

Just now, HappyDays said:

Add in next year's 1st and you probably get it done. That being said I wouldn't give up that much for someone who is maybe not even focused on football.

You are already paying a big premium before next year’s 1. I don’t see next year’s 1 being involved unless it’s a last resort. That is the Bills single best asset. That’s not the throw in. You keep adding from this year.

8 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

etc etc etc from other thread :)

Yo...deleted the other thread I started same time...sent you reply there you probably wont see now and just said I was just having fun back in the reply to you and its all good

Just copied my original post that started that thread and posted it here and then deleted that thread since we don't need 2 of these suckers.  Although now I see others starting the same thread again ha

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, brianb386 said:

There is so much information coming out, I actually wonder if it is a smoke screen and they are not planning to trade up. Otherwise,  all this info coming out is making them look almost desperate and that will cost them.

Agree.  The difference between the second and 4th or 5th QB in this years draft is minimal.  No where near giving up picks for.  I pray it's a smoke screen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand this knock on the kid.  He's a very smart kid and realizes that the overwhelming majority of his lifetime will be spent NOT playing football.  What's wrong with looking ahead?

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

it's strange to you that I live in Buffalo and my team has been a joke for my entire life and you are wondering why I have a hard time trusting them?  funny.  it's not a choice to follow them.  they are me and i am them.

too many reports of them wanting Josh Allen over much better prospects like Rosen for me to trust the situation.  I'm just stating a fact that i feel more comfortable with them getting someone like Mayfield at pick 5-7 because i don't trust the situation.  newsflash, they aren't going to listen to anything i say and this is just a message board so i'm just stating my opinion.  you have stated your opinion in that you would like them to give up everything to move to 2 and i would be fine with that, i just don't feel comfortable once there that they would choose the right person

by reporters just guessing....like many of us are doing

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand this knock on the kid.  He's a very smart kid and realizes that the overwhelming majority of his lifetime will be spent NOT playing football.  What's wrong with looking ahead?

probably not a lunch pail carrying, blue collar Buffalo guy

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna take 50% premium on the pick. That Premium has been set. So you are gonna pay 3000 points for a 2000 point pick. 

And dont care about next years draft if I have a legit QB

Sure I would do that 

Well I wouldnt

Tre White is so perfect for this team.....talent, scheme, and attitude wise.   I would rather give up draft picks which are essentially lottery tickets.

Let me keep my known good players on rookie deals

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Well I wouldnt

Tre White is so perfect for this team.....talent, scheme, and attitude wise.   I would rather give up draft picks which are essentially lottery tickets.

Let me keep my known good players on rookie deals

QB>>>>>>>CB

so if that is what it takes to get the QB then yep I am for it. I can find another CB at 22 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

QB>>>>>>>CB

so if that is what it takes to get the QB then yep I am for it. I can find another CB at 22 

You might find another corner at 22....but your chances of finding a Tre at 22 are VERY slim.....we hit gold with that pick

And as far as QB>>>>>>CB......your right but not by much....follow the money.....

NONE of these qbs might make it....we KNOW that Tre is a very good player who is probably just gonna keep getting better

Don't know if they can count on the Colts to drop down to 12 because after they traded with the Jets, Ballard said he isn't closing the door on more trades but isn't keen on moving himself out of the top 10, so there's that.

Looking at the first ten overall spots, I can see why Beane mentions #7 (Tampa Bay) in a hypothetical scenario, because #7 seems like the sweet spot for them if they intend to do two more trades to get up to #2. Colts at 6 are possible, but as I mentioned, they're saying they wanna stay in the top ten. Broncos could be a candidate but I believe they'll be sitting pat and waiting to see how the first few picks go before they decide on if they're going to trade. I doubt they trade if they have a chance at one of the top QBs. Browns sound like they're definitely turning in the card at #1 and #4. They've been trading around and gathering all sorts of draft capital for these last few drafts but it's high time for them to quit worrying about volume and actually make the picks. So... what's left? Raiders at 10, 49ers at 9, Bears at 8.... wouldn't count out any of those teams to trade back but are any of those spots good enough for the Giants? That's the main problem they'll have to solve. How far back are the Giants willing to go? 

Whatever needs to be done to get to where they wanna be isn't gonna be easy and it isn't gonna be cheap. I said in another thread, I can't see them (Bills) not making another move or two up the board. This has been the plan since Beane arrived, I'm betting. They've unloaded a bunch of cap-killer contracts, acquired plenty of capital, are they good with unloading a bunch of picks for one player? The cap rises again next season so perhaps they plan on getting their franchise guy this year and loading up in FA next year...

They're in a pickle. It's not a bad pickle to be in but it's a pickle nonetheless. 

And they acquired Conor McDermott so their soon to be QB will have his best buddy on the team. Boom. /s

47 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Didn't try hard enough to trump the Jets offer.  Hopefully he pulls something off.

Refresh my memory - what did he offer that was not good enough?  What was Indy willing to accept?  If you were GM, what would you have done differently? 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You might find another corner at 22....but your chances of finding a Tre at 22 are VERY slim.....we hit gold with that pick

And as far as QB>>>>>>CB......your right but not by much....follow the money.....

NONE of these qbs might make it....we KNOW that Tre is a very good player who is probably just gonna keep getting better

Said same thing about Darby after his rookie year. 

I would Not offer Tre. But if that is the ONLY package that gets me the QB that i feel is going to be a 15 year plus top end QB I absolutely make the trade 

it's all good dawg

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yo...deleted the other thread I started same time...sent you reply there you probably wont see now and just said I was just having fun back in the reply to you and its all good

Just copied my original post that started that thread and posted it here and then deleted that thread since we don't need 2 of these suckers.  Although now I see others starting the same thread again ha

38 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

repost.  i almost prefer they pick outside of the top 5 because i don't trust them to pick the right QB at 2.  if they traded all the way up and took Josh Allen or Sam Darnold i would barf.  Rosen is my guy but Mayfield at 5-7 is the best value if they like him.

These are also the two that I want the least in a trade up situation 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Said same thing about Darby after his rookie year. 

I would Not offer Tre. But if that is the ONLY package that gets me the QB that i feel is going to be a 15 year plus top end QB I absolutely make the trade 

I really think this is a different situation....but I realize your only thinking about this hypothetically

Darby had a good first year...then struggled when asked to change systems

Tre had a pro bowl worthy first season.....and is in the perfect system for him (and was drafted by this regime)

I expect the cost to trade up to be high.....but would rather use lottery tickets then good established players

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Tre white and 12 for the two pick 

Haha. There's no way they're trading a solid young player and the first ever pick of the McDermott era. Their secondary is probably one of the strongest overall groups on the team. No way they're gonna meddle with that right now. It's one of very few areas of the team where they probably feel pretty good.

Honestly at this point I don't see very many players they have that they can use in a trade. People say Hughes/Lawson a lot but those guys aren't going anywhere. Hughes' contract isn't bad, Lawson is still developing and on a rookie deal, plus McDermott relies heavily on his DL and wants that to be one of the best groups on the team.

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

What if Allen ends up as the best QB from this draft ? The fact is that none of us know. Including ANY of the NFL teams drafting them. You give yourself too much credit.  I stated I would prefer a move to the 2nd pick, NOT that I would like the Bills to give up everything to do so. That's a different question / discussion altogether. The best scenario for this Bills GM/ HC/ scouting department ( not the same " them"  as the last 20 years) is to have the choice. The opportunity to go all in on the player they believe in the most, rather than hope that player is the one that slides to them at pick 5, 6 or whatever. Yes , that is also an opportunity to get it wrong. If that happens,  then jobs will likely be lost. But all GMs would take the ability to make the choice every single time. The # 2 pick may well be out of reach due to cost or the Giants unwillingness to move. If the Bills can get there, I'll take that over the alternatives. I don't think the Bills organization has had the choice between two top ranked QBs in round one since ' 83 . That one turned out OK. 

Beanes job depends on finding his QB, this year. 

We currently have no starting QB. He must move up, there is no choice. Giants and Browns know this, they hold all the leverage. 

THIS draft is make or break for McBeane and McDermott, it’s a huge draft. No room for error. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Hell No!

Trade draft picks, not players.

Player is worth more. We’d have all the picks to replace that guy. Similar to glenn deal

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Haha. There's no way they're trading a solid young player and the first ever pick of the McDermott era. Their secondary is probably one of the strongest overall groups on the team. No way they're gonna meddle with that right now. It's one of very few areas of the team where they probably feel pretty good.

Honestly at this point I don't see very many players they have that they can use in a trade. People say Hughes/Lawson a lot but those guys aren't going anywhere. Hughes' contract isn't bad, Lawson is still developing and on a rookie deal, plus McDermott relies heavily on his DL and wants that to be one of the best groups on the team.

White is probably our most valuable asset at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are already paying a big premium before next year’s 1. I don’t see next year’s 1 being involved unless it’s a last resort. That is the Bills single best asset. That’s not the throw in. You keep adding from this year.

I'll be surprised if we get to #2 without giving away next year's 1st. I'm not interested in giving that away when QBs like Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph are available for much less. If we could do it with the picks you posted I would say go for it, but we're not even in the top 10 so they're going to want a very hefty return.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There's been too much smoke surrounding his desire to go to a big market for my liking. If he goes to Cleveland or Buffalo I think he'll get bored and eventually lose focus. He is not your average football player. He can make millions doing something else and he's had a couple concussions already. Hand him a few million dollars before he ever does anything and you have a recipe for an early quitter. I think he has the skills to be the next Peyton Manning, seriously, but his other concerns scare me a lot.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'll be surprised if we get to #2 without giving away next year's 1st. I'm not interested in giving that away when QBs like Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph are available for much less. If we could do it with the picks you posted I would say go for it, but we're not even in the top 10 so they're going to want a very hefty return.

The # 2 will be a very expensive move up. Maybe the Bills don't believe there is a large separation between the QBs likely available at 2 and who they might get with a lower pick. At a much lower cost. If they pay that premium to get to #2 then we'll know they believe the separation is huge. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Mayfield might not get past 5 and then the Dolphins can get him at 11. I would be fine with trading up to 5 for Mayfield. If they are trading up to 2 their target most likely is Josh Rosen. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

What if Allen ends up as the best QB from this draft ? The fact is that none of us know. Including ANY of the NFL teams drafting them. You give yourself too much credit.  I stated I would prefer a move to the 2nd pick, NOT that I would like the Bills to give up everything to do so. That's a different question / discussion altogether. The best scenario for this Bills GM/ HC/ scouting department ( not the same " them"  as the last 20 years) is to have the choice. The opportunity to go all in on the player they believe in the most, rather than hope that player is the one that slides to them at pick 5, 6 or whatever. Yes , that is also an opportunity to get it wrong. If that happens,  then jobs will likely be lost. But all GMs would take the ability to make the choice every single time. The # 2 pick may well be out of reach due to cost or the Giants unwillingness to move. If the Bills can get there, I'll take that over the alternatives. I don't think the Bills organization has had the choice between two top ranked QBs in round one since ' 83 . That one turned out OK. 

Yea the point is I don't trust them.  I trust myself much more.  My guy is Rosen.  Perhaps you give them too much credit.  What experience do they have in evaluating QB's?  Trading to 2 and giving up everything to do so go hand in hand.  The cost to go to 2 is going to be crazy compared to maybe 5-7.  If they are going all the way up to 2 to get Allen or Darnold I would much prefer they stay back and get Mayfield.  That's my opinion and a lot of people may agree with that assessment

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really think this is a different situation....but I realize your only thinking about this hypothetically

Darby had a good first year...then struggled when asked to change systems

Tre had a pro bowl worthy first season.....and is in the perfect system for him (and was drafted by this regime)

I expect the cost to trade up to be high.....but would rather use lottery tickets then good established players

I get where you are coming from. I just dont have a cant touch player on this roster if it comes to securing a top QB. Maybe Hyde and Tre would be the closests (Hyde more so than Tre)

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We will trade the farm to move up, draft whoever, which 2/3 of the people here will hate, and the Pats will take Rudolph, Lauletta or White and they will be geniuses.

IF we get up there and take a "blue chip" QB, whomever it ends up being, we have to give the kid a chance. Period, end of story. These kids have enough talent where if they are coached properly and given a legit chance, odds are they will succeed.

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

I really fear we will overpay for a qb

Picks are overrated , look back at all the draft and see where these players are now and the same can be said for most teams. If we can get a franchise QB then it will be worth it, if not you fill the holes with solid free agents like we did this spring and last year and keep working deals till we finally get our Guy.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Didn't try hard enough to trump the Jets offer.  Hopefully he pulls something off.

Put yourself as the Colts GM. They received an ungodly haul to move down two spots. That’s TWO spots not nine.

Now they are in position to do one of two things,draft a guy they wanted at three or trade down again and grab another haul from a team like Buffalo. 

Makes total sense for the Colts and you can’t blame Beane if the Colts didnt want to trade with him at that point in time.

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

What is the cost of not having one?

See: past 18 years

Who said anything about not drafting a QB at all? 5 or 6 QBs will go in the 1st round this year. We can draft one without giving up a bunch of picks. Everyone is focused on pick 2. That is far from our only option.