Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

Just now, Elite Poster said:

Interesting how it seems we've made obtaining OL depth such a priority this year, even though it was just as much of a need last year.

I think with losing Wood and Henderson, it becomes especially important.

Do either of these signings have a real shot at contributing? I dont know them very well

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think with losing Wood and Henderson, it becomes especially important.

Do either of these signings have a real shot at contributing? I dont know them very well

I figured we would take a guy or two in the draft. Both of these have overwhelmingly negative reviews from fans of their former teams. 

I wouldn't categorize these signings as "depth" but more so as competition.

It's quite possible that they could end up being starters this year.  I think it also adds credence to the idea that we may be trading up as well.

Just now, Elite Poster said:

Interesting how it seems we've made obtaining OL depth such a priority this year, even though it was just as much of a need last year.

Last year we had two more players with pro bowls on the depth chart and still traded up to add dawkins. 

Based on the losses of glenn and wood, and comparing adding a guy like bodine to ducasse and Dawkins... I have a hard time buying either part of your argument 

The optimist in me wants to say they are clearly targeting positions that are "holes" because they don't plan on using day 2 picks on those positions.  It certainly makes some level of sense to sign vets in the "holes" positions, then use later round draft picks and udfas to compete for the positions in camp.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Last year we had two more players with pro bowls on the depth chart and still traded up to add dawkins. 

Based on the losses of glenn and wood, and comparing adding a guy like bodine to ducasse and Dawkins... I have a hard time buying either part of your argument 

Groy was sitting on his hands for a year. We've already seen how he performs when he is asked to step in. Cordy Glenn is the primary reason we took Dawkins - availability has not been there. We had a massive need at RT and all we did was get Dawk and add Succasse.  

We have already added two guys and the draft hasn't even happened yet. I would expect us to draft another OL as well. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The optimist in me wants to say they are clearly targeting positions that are "holes" because they don't plan on using day 2 picks on those positions.  It certainly makes some level of sense to sign vets in the "holes" positions, then use later round draft picks and udfas to compete for the positions in camp.

These are the types of signings that fill holes and then you immediately start looking for replacements.  At least they are experienced as hole fillers.  Heck, we might look back at this next season and say what great signings these were, or not.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It doesn't sound like it is solid OL depth.  Bad players with experience are desperation depth.

Veterans who have started in the NFL are hardly a desperation move.  Any good team needs depth on its roster in case of injuries.  

10 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

These are the types of signings that fill holes and then you immediately start looking for replacements.  At least they are experienced as hole fillers.  Heck, we might look back at this next season and say what great signings these were, or not.

Right.  They are the type of guys you sign in hopes they'll get beaten out in camp.

3 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Veterans who have started in the NFL are hardly a desperation move.  Any good team needs depth on its roster in case of injuries.  

I don't know anything about these players, but some fellas who seem to know what they are talking about have classified them as poor players.  What I meant by desperation, however, was not that it was a move of desperation by OBD, but that a team only plays subpar players when forced to; desperate in that sense.  I am fine with signing average players with experience.  

Edited by Dr. Who

11 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Filling holes they won’t be able to fill in the draft.

This.  Depth signings.  Bodine May be able to challenge at center or guard. Maybe a slightly above minimum contract?  Newhouse will hopefully just be a backup, unless he somehow improves dramatically, which then He could compete at RT.  Wouldn’t count on it.  Hopefully minimum salary for him.