What The Heck Happened With Karlos Williams?

I was going through old Bills videos on YouTube and came across this Karlos Williams highlight reel from his rookie year.  DAMN what could have been.  This video reminded me of how awesome this guy was running out of the backfield.  At times in 2015, you probably can argue that he was more effective than Shady who was trying to shake a hamstring injury.  His numbers were damn good for a #2 RB, and they are even more impressive when you consider he played in just 11 games.

I know that he gained a lot of sympathy weight while his girlfriend was pregnant during the '16 off-season and returned to camp way out of shape.  He allegedly wasn't following the diet and training program suggested by the team's S & C coaches and a result he was cut...never to play another NFL down.   And how he's suspended for substance violation and couldn't play even if he wanted to.

This is probably the biggest case of wasted potential I've seen from a Bills player - maybe ever.  To have such a big rookie year, only to fade into obscurity is truly a tragedy.  He could have been a great running back.  

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Dude was a beast in 2015. Kept getting suspended and gained a ton of weight before camp in 16. Pretty sure he got cut and signed with the steelers and then got suspended again for weed

All joking aside apparently he used to order takeout from the Big Tree everyday. He would come in blazed out of his mind and order a ton of food that a professional athlete should be avoiding (especially in season). He was basically like every college kid. He smoked weed, played video games and crushed fatty foods.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19760670/karlos-williams-suspended-additional-year

Busted for substance abuse.  No clue if he'll ever be in the league again.

How does this work?  Does his year away (2017) count?  Or does he need to be on a team's roster somehow to work off his suspension?

Sympathy weight while his GF was pregnant my a**, munchies from ganja more like.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

giphy.gif

All joking aside apparently he used to order takeout from the Big Tree everyday. He would come in blazed out of his mind and order a ton of food that a professional athlete should be avoiding (especially in season). He was basically like every college kid.

No. Couldn’t be from a good FSU boy!   :huh:

He should have stuck to snow crab, less chubby would have helped. They are so much work and so little yield and fat, you might consider it a weight loss plan? 

• Haha (+1) 1

It baffles me how someone could throw away a potentially great nfl career. He definitely turned some heads in 2015 as a 5th round pick. I doubt he was making alot as a late round pick, but had he kept playing well, he couldve earned a big contract 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It baffles me how someone could throw away a potentially great nfl career. He definitely turned some heads in 2015 as a 5th round pick. I doubt he was making alot as a late round pick, but had he kept playing well, he couldve earned a big contract 

"Stupid is as stupid does."

• Like (+1) 1

I used to follow him on twitter. I decided to un-follow him due to all the downbeat tweets he was writing. It honestly seemed like he was contemplating suicide at times from my perspective as a former mental health counselor would.  Honestly, it seems he possibly suffers depression. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I used to follow him on twitter. I decided to un-follow him due to all the downbeat tweets he was writing. It honestly seemed like he was contemplating suicide at times from my perspective as a former mental health counselor would.  Honestly, it seems he possibly suffers depression. 

First off, he was a really good football player

secondly, i agree on the Twitter thing and I unfollowed him because he just was so unhinged. He definitely showed signs of being bi-polar. If you ever heard him interviewed he would talk a million miles an hour, very hyper. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

secondly, i agree on the Twitter thing and I unfollowed him because he just was so unhinged. He definitely showed signs of being bi-polar. If you ever heard him interviewed he would talk a million miles an hour, very hyper. 

I agree, after his first year I thought we were set at RB1-RB2 with him and Shady. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, people see what looks like a dream come true and wonder how they could pssibly be suffering with all the money and fame, but mental health affects people in all categories.

Just this morning I heard the first stuff about Kevin Love and Mardy Fish struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. If you don’t have that, you might not “get it”. But it is very, very real.  It’s awful, and I hope people can learn more and judge less. That’s why these people come out and talk about it. If it can help one person, one family, they have done a great thing by speaking up. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How does this work?  Does his year away (2017) count?  Or does he need to be on a team's roster somehow to work off his suspension?

Sympathy weight while his GF was pregnant my a**, munchies from ganja more like.

Yes.  It counts.  He has to reapply for reinstatement and pass a drug test if he wants to come back as a free agent.  Doubtful any team would want to sign him unless he's in shape.

Edited by Doc Brown

Basically smoked and ate his way out of the league. He's an RB, so that automatically devalues him. A replaceable asset to most teams. Very sad tale. Guy even got a second chance and f**ed that up. I thought he'd be here for years to come after his rook season. I can't blame him if he's suicidal at this point. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Just this morning I heard the first stuff about Kevin Love and Mardy Fish struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. If you don’t have that, you might not “get it”. But it is very, very real.  It’s awful, and I hope people can learn more and judge less. That’s why these people come out and talk about it. If it can help one person, one family, they have done a great thing by speaking up. 

That's an astute post. To be honest, the correlation between anxiety and success has got to be sky high. 

I thought he scored a TD against Miami in December last year.
Of course they didn't have Bills v Miami season ending game on local tv last year. So I'm watching the the Chargers game and the Bills score update scrolls across the bottom of the screen: K. Williams 1 yard TD.  WTF I  was thinking, did they pickup f@t Karlos at the buffet in Miami before the game? B-)

The good news was the network finally switched to the Cincy game and I got to see the last play :beer:

I can remember Steve Tasker talking about him on the John Murphy show, saying sometimes when a player has such great success so quickly, he fails to appreciate the amount of work involved to be great. So he slacked off going into his sophomore year. I don't think I ever saw a player eat his way out of the league in just his second year. I'm sure trainers talk to players about that stuff and use him as an example.

10 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

It might look great from the outside, but......

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/mardy-fish-us-open/

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought they broke up.

i hate that I know this!

I haven't a clue. I just saw her jump into a Twitter conversation a few weeks back, apropos of nothing.

Still weirds me out that she liked a tweet of mine essentially saying that he'll end up knocking her around because guys like that follow a pattern.

Karlos also got a bad concussion during his rookie year. I wonder if that had any effect on his disintegration as an NFL player.  Excessive marijuana use before your mid 20s can sometimes trigger schizophrenia and other mental issues as well.   Then there is all the stress of instant success when you have no support or bad influences around you.   All in all , a recipe for disaster for a pro athlete.

From Wikipedia.  Dude is 24 and has SIX kids.  Total Insanity

Personal life[edit]

His brother, Vince Williams played college football at Florida State and is currently a linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers.[27][28]

Williams has six children: two daughters, Kylie and Kota, and four sons, Karlos Jr., Kobi, Kason, and Korri. His youngest son, Kason, was diagnosed with Hirschsprung's disease in early 2017.

Edited by Badthingsman
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I was going through old Bills videos on YouTube and came across this Karlos Williams highlight reel from his rookie year.  DAMN what could have been.  This video reminded me of how awesome this guy was running out of the backfield.  At times in 2015, you probably can argue that he was more effective than Shady who was trying to shake a hamstring injury.  His numbers were damn good for a #2 RB, and they are even more impressive when you consider he played in just 11 games.

I know that he gained a lot of sympathy weight while his girlfriend was pregnant during the '16 off-season and returned to camp way out of shape.  He allegedly wasn't following the diet and training program suggested by the team's S & C coaches and a result he was cut...never to play another NFL down.   And how he's suspended for substance violation and couldn't play even if he wanted to.

This is probably the biggest case of wasted potential I've seen from a Bills player - maybe ever.  To have such a big rookie year, only to fade into obscurity is truly a tragedy.  He could have been a great running back.  

What happened to him?  Didn't you just answer your own question?(see bolded)

Sad story. Followed him on IG until recently when I asked myself what am I doin following this guy? Dude wears blue contacts. That’s enough for me. I remember they had a go fund me for the young kids disease. Sad, he should be making money hand over fist if he wasn’t a moron.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whatever you do, don't blame pot.  It can't be pot.

I'm guessing you don't smoke...

Regardless, of course it could be pot. Just like people can become addicted to gambling, shopping, or eating, of course you can become addicted to smoking pot. 

A ton of talented individuals never make it because they aren't motivated. It's hard for me to judge, I'm sure I could have played baseball for a better college (only played JUCO D3), but I was lazy and wanted to hang out, smoke, and drink with my friends. 

Edit: I could be making light of some other issue Karlos is having besides being lazy (like myself). That wasn't my intention. Hopefully if there is something else going on with him he gets the help he needs.

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2