Baker Mayfield won’t attend NFL draft

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd go if I got the invite. 100%. And I wouldn't care if I didn't get the call until half way through day 2, but that is a personal decision and I understand someone not wanting to.  As Yolo said his mum's health may well be a significant factor here. 

I don't think Mayfield is going to fall.  Just like last year when at this time people we saying "there might only be one Quarterback that goes in the first round" and I was saying "three could go in the top 10" and was out by only two picks - there are going to be at least four Quarterbacks taken in the top 15 this year. As last year showed, if the teams sitting up there don't want to take them there are deals to be made now with the revisions teams have made to the trade value chart that makes it affordable and attractive to go up and get a guy knowing you have five cheap years under the existing CBA.  Missing on a Quarterback at the top of the draft doesn't kill you anymore like JaMarcus Russell did the Raiders. 

i think i would go too, just to see the fanfare.  this may sound strange, but i think it would depend on what position i was.  if i was a lineman or lb who really knew they were going to be taken in the first, i'd probably go and just enjoy myself.   more high profile positions...i'm not so sure.  

Edited by teef

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

So like is he gonna not show up or come in late for team practices? I'm convinced to not draft him now. He is off my board.

P.S. He was late for the Senior Bowl. 

His mother was (or is?) very sick and that was why he arrived late and left early from the Senior Bowl. Do a little extra reading.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't go if I was him either.  

1. Personally I think he is the best QB prospect in this draft, but of the top 4 QB's predicted to go first, he probably has the best chance to fall given Rosen, Darnold, and Allen are all widely expected to go ahead of him with their prototypical size.  
  2. There are likely only 2 QB needy teams in the top 10 this year by the time the draft gets here.  Cousins is likely signing with Jets or Broncos (with Browns, Bills and AZ as other possibilities).  Browns and then either the Jets/Broncos (whoever doesn't land Cousins) are locks for a QB.  No one else in the top 10 are, and for another QB to go in the top 10 its likely going to take a trade up.  
  3. Arians raves about Lamar as top QB and being special, so good chance the Cardinals feel the same as Arians formed that opinion while scouting him as a team.  So quite possible AZ drafts Lamar. 
  4. If he does drop, all the TV is going to talk about is speculation on whether its his "off field" issues, when in reality it is just because some of the QB needs would have been filled outside the draft creating less opportunities for QB's to go early.  I mean there are 6 QB's who are legit possibilities to go in the first round, yet probably only 3 or 4 do.  And if Lamar ends up as one of those 4, Baker could be the guy who falls.  

So I would skip the draft too if I was him.

Steve Wilks is the new Head Coach for Arizona. Arians retired. Not sure if it was of his own volition or not? Does Arians's evaluation of qbs remain the evaluation of the new regime's? Not sure? I am also a fan of Lamar Jackson and believe in time and in the right system with the right coaches he will be a good pro if not dynamic player. 

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I'd rather have the camera on me when I'm picked at home then over and over in the back room.

I would not allow the cameras in my home either.  They can stand outside off my property.  After the shouting is over, I would give them 5 minutes.

Personally I would rather be with family and friends on this day. Not stuck in some building wearing a suit patiently waiting for a brief moment on stage and boring interview questions from the peanut galley press

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Personally I would rather be with family and friends on this day. Not stuck in some building wearing a suit patiently waiting for a brief moment on stage and boring interview questions from the peanut galley press

You don't want Deion Sanders asking you how it feels to be drafted?

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Steve Wilks is the new Head Coach for Arizona. Arians retired. Not sure if it was of his own volition or not? Does Arians's evaluation of qbs remain the evaluation of the new regime's? Not sure? I am also a fan of Lamar Jackson and believe in time and in the right system with the right coaches he will be a good pro if not dynamic player. 

Absolutely that is the question.  And by no means am I saying AZ is locked in on Lamar, but Arians made those comments right after he retired.  And AZ was definitely scouting QB's in this draft this past season with Carson's age, injury and retirement.  So I am just saying its pretty clear that Arians opinion of Lamar was certainly formed while they were evaluating QB's as a team.  That definitely does not mean everyone in AZ felt the same, but I think its reasonable to assume its possible that Arians wasn't the only person inside AZ that felt that way.  

So far, the only big public support for Lamar as a QB in this draft I have heard direct from anyone related to a team has been Arians.  But truthfully, Lamar is a guy whose draft slotting is really going to come down to the offseason showings at the combine or workouts.  If he has big impressive showings passing, he very well can move up ahead of some of the other top 4 and go earlier than people are mocking now.  

But given none of that has happened yet, if I look up and down the first round and try to find a place he might go, I think AZ is the first real potential spot given how much Arians gushed about him shortly after he retired when he was asked in an interview about the upcoming draft class.  

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Doesnt concern me. His decision. Though makes you think about what his NFl Draft Advisory Grade was and what his agent is telling him. 

Better to handle a draft day tumble at home then in the green room 

Our local media here is convinced he’s not going in the top half of the 1st. They think he’s not a guy you take that high, not a face of the franchise type. Cited his propensity of being a Knucklehead and the track record of shorter QBs in the draft.  If you take him at some point and he’s good then you build him up from there but not someone you sell the farm for. We will see.

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Absolutely that is the question.  And by no means am I saying AZ is locked in on Lamar, but Arians made those comments right after he retired.  And AZ was definitely scouting QB's in this draft this past season with Carson's age, injury and retirement.  So I am just saying its pretty clear that Arians opinion of Lamar was certainly formed while they were evaluating QB's as a team.  That definitely does not mean everyone in AZ felt the same, but I think its reasonable to assume its possible that Arians wasn't the only person inside AZ that felt that way.  

So far, the only big public support for Lamar as a QB in this draft I have heard direct from anyone related to a team has been Arians.  But truthfully, Lamar is a guy whose draft slotting is really going to come down to the offseason showings at the combine or workouts.  If he has big impressive showings passing, he very well can move up ahead of some of the other top 4 and go earlier than people are mocking now.  

But given none of that has happened yet, if I look up and down the first round and try to find a place he might go, I think AZ is the first real potential spot given how much Arians gushed about him shortly after he retired when he was asked in an interview about the upcoming draft class.  

My sense is that the Cardinals still believe that they can be a competitive team and quickly get back on track. I see them as much as any other team going the free agent route and pursuing a qb such as Kennum, McCarron or maybe even Bradford. I think that although Lamar has some stunning and explosive talents he is from a pro standpoint a raw prospect. In my view any team that takes him is willing to groom him for at least a couple of years without getting much immediate return from him. 

If the Bills stayed pat and drafted him with one of their first round picks I would have no complaints. However, I don't see that happening because he doesn't seem to fit Beane's profile for a qb. The GM has stated that he wants a qb that makes plays from the pocket. My guess is that Rudolph fits the preferred mold than Jackson does. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My sense is that the Cardinals still believe that they can be a competitive team and quickly get back on track. I see them as much as any other team going the free agent route and pursuing a qb such as Kennum, McCarron or maybe even Bradford. I think that although Lamar has some stunning and explosive talents he is from a pro standpoint a raw prospect. In my view any team that takes him is willing to groom him for at least a couple of years without getting much immediate return from him. 

If the Bills stayed pat and drafted him with one of their first round picks I would have no complaints. However, I don't see that happening because he doesn't seem to fit Beane's profile for a qb. The GM has stated that he wants a qb that makes plays from the pocket. My guess is that Rudolph fits the preferred mold than Jackson does. 

Totally agree with everything you said.  I would think AZ would be interested in Cousins too, but I don't know they have enough Cap flexibility to compete with a team like Jets for instance (or even us for that matter as its still possible Bills explore it).  I would think Cousins would prefer a team like Denver or AZ, especially with less media garbage to deal with, but also better overall rosters than where the Jets are starting with.  However, if the reports are true about Jets going all in on Cousins, nobody is probably going to be able to match, or even want to, the type of deal Jets can/will offer.

I can definitely see AZ going after a good FA QB to be at the very least a bridge while a young guy sits like you said.  All the guys you mentioned also make sense.  And if they do get one they are pretty confident in, that might take a first round QB off the board all together for AZ and instead look to add more around the team to make a win now push.  

But since FA hasn't happened yet nor has any off season workouts or combine, AZ is the place I still lightly pencil in Lamar.  Like you, I would be great with us staying put and taking him at 21 and would prefer it over Mason personally.  I wouldn't hate drafting Mason, but I think Lamar has a higher upside.  Here is my actual preference of the QB's I want in order in this draft (keep in mind, this can and will change as we go through combines and workouts)

1. Baker
  2. Rosen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar (but I have him REAL close to Darnold who I have used to love but lost a lot of allure with him this season)
  5. Allen
  6. Mason

I think Baker is the best QB prospect in this draft personally.  I also used to love Darnold, but man it was maddening watching him every week.  I found myself always trying to make excuses to validate so many of his mistakes every week.  I am quite intrigued by Lamar and think he is a better passer than he is given credit for.  But his offseason will either move him up my list or down...right now I have him at 4 closely behind Darnold.  

All that being said, I would excited to get any of these guys, some more than others.  I wouldn't hate picking any of them in terms of them as a prospect.  If we make a big trade up, its possible I won't like what we give up if we over pay, but I will still be excited about the QB prospect none the less.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting decision... 

A lot of guys don't attend the draft now. Joe Thomas, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, there are many notable players who weren't there when their name was called. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Totally agree with everything you said.  I would think AZ would be interested in Cousins too, but I don't know they have enough Cap flexibility to compete with a team like Jets for instance (or even us for that matter as its still possible Bills explore it).  I would think Cousins would prefer a team like Denver or AZ, especially with less media garbage to deal with, but also better overall rosters than where the Jets are starting with.  However, if the reports are true about Jets going all in on Cousins, nobody is probably going to be able to match, or even want to, the type of deal Jets can/will offer.

I can definitely see AZ going after a good FA QB to be at the very least a bridge while a young guy sits like you said.  All the guys you mentioned also make sense.  And if they do get one they are pretty confident in, that might take a first round QB off the board all together for AZ and instead look to add more around the team to make a win now push.  

But since FA hasn't happened yet nor has any off season workouts or combine, AZ is the place I still lightly pencil in Lamar.  Like you, I would be great with us staying put and taking him at 21 and would prefer it over Mason personally.  I wouldn't hate drafting Mason, but I think Lamar has a higher upside.  Here is my actual preference of the QB's I want in order in this draft (keep in mind, this can and will change as we go through combines and workouts)

1. Baker
  2. Rosen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar (but I have him REAL close to Darnold who I have used to love but lost a lot of allure with him this season)
  5. Allen
  6. Mason

I think Baker is the best QB prospect in this draft personally.  I also used to love Darnold, but man it was maddening watching him every week.  I found myself always trying to make excuses to validate so many of his mistakes every week.  I am quite intrigued by Lamar and think he is a better passer than he is given credit for.  But his offseason will either move him up my list or down...right now I have him at 4 closely behind Darnold.  

All that being said, I would excited to get any of these guys, some more than others.  I wouldn't hate picking any of them in terms of them as a prospect.  If we make a big trade up, its possible I won't like what we give up if we over pay, but I will still be excited about thQB prospect none the less.

Good post. If the Bills move up I have no problem with them taking any of the top three rated qbs. From what I have seen of Darnold I think it would be a big mistake to make his an immediate starter. I wouldn't hesitate to immediately start either Baker or Rosen. 

As you noted there is a maddeningly erratic nature to Darnold's game. He struggles and then there is a flourish of great plays. That type of inconsistency is not going to work well in the pros. The one special trait that Darnold has is his stoicism . He is able to handle his struggling sequences without getting down on himself. There is a resiliency about him that makes him unique. He must be a fan of Star Trek and Commander Spock with his stoic persona. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Geno Smith having to wait until the 2nd round had to be the funniest.  A real punch to the jaw.

screen-shot-2013-04-25-at-10-34-57-pm1.p

I see what you did there :P

I honestly felt bad for him. At the time, he was considered a lock for the first round, and they kept cutting back to him. And of course, over the course of many hours, as you anxiously wait about your future, you don't feel great.

Now, I loved pounding him as a Jet, but until he got taken, I couldn't hate on him too much. It's just a sad monkey's paw wish I got when I hoped EJ would be better than him.

Hey as long as the stupid GM's stop calling these poor kids right when they're being drafted and keeping them on the telephone so they miss the best moment of their lives I'll be happy.   It's such a Roger Goodell type of thing to do, shows you're out of touch with reality and that the GM or Coach who calls the kid cares more about themselves than anyone else.

I'd turn my phone off and hang out in a local bar with my friends and family.   You'll have plenty of time to speak with your new coach afterwards.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I probably wouldn’t go either. With that being said it gets uncomfortable when they go down the list to have enough guys there and then they don’t get drafted until halfway through the next day.

I wouldn't want to go unless I was concerned universally a Top 10 guy where at least I knew I wouldn't fall out of the first round. Although in general I would rather be with family and friends rather then the draft anyway.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I see what you did there :P

I honestly felt bad for him. At the time, he was considered a lock for the first round, and they kept cutting back to him. And of course, over the course of many hours, as you anxiously wait about your future, you don't feel great.

Now, I loved pounding him as a Jet, but until he got taken, I couldn't hate on him too much. It's just a sad monkey's paw wish I got when I hoped EJ would be better than him.

I was surprised he attended as it was possible he could slip into the 2nd.

2013 has to be in the running for the worst QB draft class of all time.  EJ, Geno, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Landry Jones.

Of course that's the year we decide to draft a QB in the 1st round.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure why its "interesting" as some are labeling it...I would stay home myself to be around the friends and family who supported me all the way to that point in my life too.  

I get that. But its like being nominated for a Grammy, or Emmy, or whatever...and not attending. It's as much to do with accomplishment and recognition as it is a future job

On 2/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Baker
  2. Rosen
  3. Darnold
  5. Allen
  6. Mason

All that being said, I would excited to get any of these guys, some more than others.  I wouldn't hate picking any of them in terms of them as a prospect.  If we make a big trade up, its possible I won't like what we give up if we over pay, but I will still be excited about the QB prospect none the less.

Let me update my list from this above post I made back in February now that we have gone through combine and workouts.

1. Baker (unchanged)
  2. Darnold (up 1)
  3. Allen (biggest gain of 2 spots)
  4. Lamar (same)
  5. Rosen (biggest drop of 3 spots...Bradford body meets Cutler personality has me concerned)
  6. Mason (same)

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

^Haha Rosen personality concerns. Are you dating him or do you need a QB?

You want a QB who will be a leader, rally the troops, get the best out of the people around him.  His Cutler-esque likability is a concern.  Doesnt mean he will be just like him, but he's made of glass and doesnt seem very likable even by his coach.  Not exactly someone that screams trade the farm for me.  

I will back him and be excited about him or any QB we land, but he's down on my list of preference for those 2 reasons.  And when you are dealing with 5 closely graded prospects, those things factor in.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And he is nothing like Cutler. 

Your right, Cutler is richer and slightly more durable.  lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

Josh is far brighter than Jay. He is clever. I am totally in favour of clever people making their opinions known. The world has enough stupid people. 

Rosen is the best Quarterback in the class. The concusions - fine... that's a concern but beyond that the rest is all noise. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me update my list from this above post I made back in February now that we have gone through combine and workouts.

1. Baker (unchanged)
  2. Darnold (up 1)
  3. Allen (biggest gain of 2 spots)
  4. Lamar (same)
  5. Rosen (biggest drop of 3 spots...Bradford body meets Cutler personality has me concerned)
  6. Mason (same)

Sssoooo.... I although i dont agree, I'll pick my battles and leave the Bradford body alone... but Cutler? 

Why knock someone for a perception that perhaps you've over exaggerated? 

I changed my mind on the Bradford thing...

Another unfair perception.  We dont personally know this kid. The 2 reasons you've knocked him are just kinda sterotypical. I mean if that's the road ya wanna go - feel free. It just seems a bit dismissive. Then again, you are essentially saying his knee will become concussed and he will need to wear a head brace...

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh is far brighter than Jay. He is clever. I am totally in favour of clever people making their opinions known. The world has enough stupid people. 

Rosen is the best Quarterback in the class. The concusions - fine... that's a concern but beyond that the rest is all noise. 

I like his play, but I hate to bet the farm with the concussion history. But I want him. But he scares me everytime he goes to the ground. But he throws a great......yeah, I’m a mess here. Glad it’s not my decision and hope people smarter than me get it right. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, whatdrought said:

It makes sense... I've thought for a while now that bringing 20 of those guys there is silly. Should be more business and less entertainment. If I'm a guy like Mayfield, I don't want the camera looking at me as pick after pick passes without my name being called (not to say that will happen to him, but he is one who could surprising fall, and if he does then its all going to be about his "character issues"). 

The NFL is an entertainment enterprise. 

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Sssoooo.... I although i dont agree, I'll pick my battles and leave the Bradford body alone... but Cutler? 

Why knock someone for a perception that perhaps you've over exaggerated? 

I changed my mind on the Bradford thing...

Another unfair perception.  We dont personally know this kid. The 2 reasons you've knocked him are just kinda sterotypical. I mean if that's the road ya wanna go - feel free. It just seems a bit dismissive. Then again, you are essentially saying his knee will become concussed and he will need to wear a head brace...

I live in LA, lots of stuff here about how he rubs people the wrong way to often.  Doesnt mean its true, but when I am mortgaging the future to go up and trade to get a QB, and I have several to choose from, then nit picking concerns matter.  

I already said I wont hate landing him,  but I don't care what anyones opinion of this guy or that guy is, the facts are that Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen are all very closely graded and likely all early picks.  So you need to find ways to separate them and durability and personality question marks make me less comfortable in a very expensive trade up.  Kid could be the next great thing, and I will 100% back him if we draft him...but going into the draft, he is down now on my preferred targets.

And some of you are taking the Bradford and Cutler references waaaaay to literally.  Its not like I am saying he has the same injuries as Bradford.  I am simply pointing out, that durability and staying on the field in general is a concern.  Then the Cutler reference is simply stems from the concerns personality wise where Cutler seems to rub people wrong his whole career.  Right now, even Rosen's coach wouldn't take him #1 overall over Darnold, and I don't care what back pedaling Mora is trying to do to change that, he knows exactly what he said and that it would be damaging to Josh ahead of the draft.  Yet he said it anyway, then doubled down to explain why he said it.  

So once again, I have moved him down and the big winner was Allen who has impressed in combine and workouts.  But my top guy still hasn't changed, and thats Baker.  Darnold has moved back up a spot with his strong offseason too.

• Thank you (+1) 1