Tyrod wants to “Continue to be accurate..”

stevestojan

Apologies if this has already been posted. Start at the 5:58 mark or so for the question and answer. Mods, I don’t follow the board as much as I used to, so if this is already a huge topic here I’d appreciate a slap on the wrist. 

TL:DR, Tyrod Taylor is very accurate according to Tyrod Taylor. 

Well he is the all time leading Bills passer for completion percentage, so that says something about accuracy (and about previous Bills QBs).  Now throws not attempted is another theoretical stat altogether.  

Generally, I wish everyone would stop being so polorized regarding Taylor.  He is a slightly above average starter, and has had a good cap number the past couple years. He isn’t a top 10 QB in the league.  It’s pretty straight forward.  People treat it like the Devine mystery or something where you have crusaders and atheists both willing to die for their beliefs.

• Like (+1) 18

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Well he is the all time leading Bills passer for completion percentage, so that says something about accuracy (and about previous Bills QBs).  Now throws not attempted is another theoretical stat altogether.  

Generally, I wish everyone would stop being so polorized regarding Taylor.  He is a slightly above average starter, and has had a good cap number the past couple years. He isn’t a top 10 QB in the league.  It’s pretty straight forward.  People treat it like the Devine mystery or something where you have crusaders and atheists both willing to die for their beliefs.

The reason why he's polarizing is because games like Jacksonville.  It was an unbelievably frustrating game that was likely lost because of poor QB play.  Tyrod has never been very effective against good defenses that keep him in the pocket.  He has a pretty stellar track record of not being able to beat a good defense.  He also has a stellar track record of not being able to bring his team back from behind.

I like Tyrod, but I don't think unreasonable to think that Bills can't find a QB that can be more productive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

I dunnno, I think it is easy to understand.

Tyrod is hot and cold. Some games he plays very well, some  games he is terrible.  That leads to controversy.

Tyrod is also a statistical wonder. But his stats happen to mislead because of the way they are tabulated. Taking sacks for example doesn't hurt your passer rating. Completing passes when your team is hopelessly behind ("garbage time") doesn't hurt your passer rating.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Tyrod loves some Tyrod 

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Why not talk about where he wants to improve on his weaknesses?  

WTF do you guys want?  You don't like Tyrod - you want him gone -ideally that means someone will trade for him - so you want him to go on record publically talking up his weaknesses and sounding like he thinks he sucks?

Think of it as a little job interview for him, you know, they ask you "what are your weaknesses?" and you say something you phrase as a weakness that's really considered a strength

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Tyrod is hot and cold. Some games he plays very well, some  games he is terrible.  That leads to controversy.

Tyrod is also a statistical wonder. But his stats happen to mislead because of the way they are tabulated. Taking sacks for example doesn't hurt your passer rating. Completing passes when your team is hopelessly behind ("garbage time") doesn't hurt your passer rating.

I agree that Tyrod plays very well sometimes, and very badly other times.   This whole year was also a notch or two towards the worse.

That said, there's a better word for "garbage time":  it's called "an unsuccessful comeback".    See: 3 January 1993. 

If there were a certain number of points per remaining time a team could be behind and never be able to come back, the game should just forfeit at that juncture.  But there isn't.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Then use QBR...

18 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

What makes you believe he’s slightly above average? I have him in 18-24 best range...slightly to well below average.

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod was also telling everyone to vote him to the Pro Bowl this season.  In a season he was benched for a 5th round rookie no less.  He has a much higher opinion of himself than anyone else that watches him play.  It's part of the reason he will never get better or try throws that real QBs make.......he already believes he is a top 5 QB in the league.  The guy has no sense of reality.

• Like (+1) 6

When most of your throws are 3 yard check downs to the HB, it's easy to be accurate.

Can't wait for this guy to be gone so we don't have to read any more Tyrod threads again.

He's like Rasputin.  You can't get rid of him.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The reason why he's polarizing is because games like Jacksonville.  It was an unbelievably frustrating game that was likely lost because of poor QB play.  Tyrod has never been very effective against good defenses that keep him in the pocket.  He has a pretty stellar track record of not being able to beat a good defense.  He also has a stellar track record of not being able to bring his team back from behind.

I like Tyrod, but I don't think unreasonable to think that Bills can't find a QB that can be more productive.

He also has a good track record of beating the teams we should beat. There are very few games against a bad team where we lose with him, which I think might be why so many people like him...

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

When most of your throws are 3 yard check downs to the HB, it's easy to be accurate.

Can't wait for this guy to be gone so we don't have to read any more Tyrod threads again.

He's like Rasputin.  You can't get rid of him.

EJ begs to differ.   ^_^

• Haha (+1) 1

He is not very accurate. His completion percentage is artificially high.

I wouldn't say he is super inaccurate, but not accurate either. He seemed to throw over the heads of all intermediate or deep routes, but hit short and check downs alright.

He's just so afraid to throw the ball into coverage, even when there are clear windows.

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

He is not very accurate. His completion percentage is artificially high.

I wouldn't say he is super inaccurate, but not accurate either. He seemed to throw over the heads of all intermediate or deep routes, but hit short and check downs alright.

He's just so afraid to throw the ball into coverage, even when there are clear windows.

Taylor’s % was good for 16th in the league this year...and tbh I’ve never found him a particularly accurate passer.

3 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

That's the thing. He ISN'T a slightly above average starter. He's a slightly below average starter. Slightly above average starter would mean he's top 15 or so, and it's not difficult to make a list of 15 starters you'd rather have than Tyrod. It is indeed straightforward, but there are still a few on here who don't get that.

As for having a good cap number, questionable. Cap number is relevant to two things. Relevant to the first, league-wide QB cap numbers, his has indeed been decent. But a cap number is also relevant to how good a player the guy is. And Tyrod's cap numbers have been pretty high when you look at what we actually got, after that first year anyway.

As for what it says that he's the all time leading Bills passer, I'd say it says more about the way the game has changed over the years. Tyrod wasn't a better passer than Kelly. I think everyone can agree with that. But completion percentages have steadily risen over the years. What it says is less that Bills QBs have been bad than that the last two or three QBs, the ones who played in the era when stats were roughly the same, weren't very good, not that that's big news.

And it also says something about which stats you're looking at. Orton's one year in Buffalo he had higher completion percentage than Tyrod has ever had here.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He also has a good track record of beating the teams we should beat. There are very few games against a bad team where we lose with him, which I think might be why so many people like him...

That's not Tyrod who has the good track record of beating the teams we should beat. It's the Buffalo Bills. Wins and losses is a team statistic.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that Tyrod plays very well sometimes, and very badly other times.   This whole year was also a notch or two towards the worse.

That said, there's a better word for "garbage time":  it's called "an unsuccessful comeback".    See: 3 January 1993. 

If there were a certain number of points per remaining time a team could be behind and never be able to come back, the game should just forfeit at that juncture.  But there isn't.

Oh, come on. There's a difference there, Hapless.

I agree with what you said about Tyrod's words. Nothing wrong with them. You expect a QB to be confident. 

But there's certainly such a thing as garbage time and unsuccessful comebacks are a bit different. You know this. 

3 hours ago, Worstcaseontario said:

I like tyrod i really do but hes a Qb thatll get you 9 wins max in a season

LOL...how many TOTAL wins did Bortles have before this season?  How many wins per season has every QB since Kelly had?  

This board moves the yard stick on TT every year.  First it is not throwing over the middle, then come from behind wins, then taking sacks, only throwing the deep ball well, not throwing the deep ball well, make the playoffs, win a playoff game.

As was said he is an above average QB that rarely loses the game.  I like TT but I do think he lost the Jacksonville game.  He made some bad throws and bad decisions.  

I hope they can upgrade because I don't like watching 14-10 games.  I like watching the offenses do amazing things.  I don't think TT has ever had a healthy set of WR but that is not an excuse with the marginal talent WRs like Amendola the great QBs turn into stars.

It will be very difficult to do better than TT.  It is more likely than not his replacement will be worse.  The draft is a crap shoot wrapped in a lottery.  Would I take Josh Allen over TT?Yes.  But half this board wanted Manziel too.  

The TT apologists like myself will own up and be ridiculed if the rookie is a star.  But if they trot out 5 INT Peterman and they start 1-7, we will be happy to remind this board that most wanted TT gone.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Apologies if this has already been posted. Start at the 5:58 mark or so for the question and answer. Mods, I don’t follow the board as much as I used to, so if this is already a huge topic here I’d appreciate a slap on the wrist. 

TL:DR, Tyrod Taylor is very accurate according to Tyrod Taylor. 

Well he's more accurate than EJ...

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

WTF do you guys want?  You don't like Tyrod - you want him gone -ideally that means someone will trade for him - so you want him to go on record publically talking up his weaknesses and sounding like he thinks he sucks?

Think of it as a little job interview for him, you know, they ask you "what are your weaknesses?" and you say something you phrase as a weakness that's really considered a strength

Finally someone gets it. He knows he's likely gone without taking a pay cut, which he probably won't do, so he isn't going to go on tv and broadcast his weaknesses. 

I dont believe TT is a franchise qb, but the man has had to sit and watch guys like Osweiller get paid to be much worse. I can't blame him for trying to get a big contract from whatever team thinks they can turn him into a top 10 guy. Knowing the egos of NFL coaches, I'm sure there are at least a few that think they can do it, and in all likelihood someone will probably try.  

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

The TT apologists like myself will own up and be ridiculed if the rookie is a star.  But if they trot out 5 INT Peterman and they start 1-7, we will be happy to remind this board that most wanted TT gone.

Sweet, just what we need.    A reminder that we gave up on a guy that can get us 3 points in a wildcard game.    

No one wants to hear this nonsense.   Please just follow Tyrods new team and spare us all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Easy to be accurate when you only make one read and hold the ball for as long as TT does

... but not so easy ro have a high completion percentage when you have the worst receiving corps in the league by almost every measure, including ability to get separation.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Are we playing complete the sentence!?

Tyrod wants to continue to be accurate so he will keep waiting for stationary targets!

.....thought I heard he's been training with Ralph Wilson's statue in front of the stadium......

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

... but not so easy ro have a high completion percentage when you have the worst receiving corps in the league by almost every measure, including ability to get separation.

Please, like the Eagles wideouts are wide open all the time.  

Foles made all the throws that Tyrod won’t attempt.  

Excuse after excuse.    Year after year.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Please, like the Eagles wideouts are wide open all the time.  

Foles made all the throws that Tyrod won’t attempt.  

Excuse after excuse.    Year after year.   

Please don't troll me. Seriously - it's tiresome, and I think I speak for a lot of people on this board. I think the Bills need to do better than Taylor, and have said as much many times. But one can be objective about the situation last season too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Please don't troll me. Seriously - it's tiresome, and I think I speak for a lot of people on this board. I think the Bills need to do better than Taylor, and have said as much many times. But one can be objective about the situation last season too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

It’s no straw man that Tyrod doesn’t make those throws to a covered Alshon Jeffery that ultimately are td’s.