Tyrod wants to “Continue to be accurate..”

stevestojan

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

It’s no straw man that Tyrod doesn’t make those throws to a covered Alshon Jeffery that ultimately are td’s.  

It's absolutely a straw-man argument. The Bills wide receiving talent is nowhere near the Eagles'  wide receiving talent. Jeffery was the #1 FA WR last season. He is elite. Nelson Agholor is also a very good player. Torrey Smith would have been better than any receiver on the Bills this season. Ertz is great too - certainly better than Clay. Finally, they dumped Ryan Matthews because they knew they had better. 

Invoking the Eagles far superior receiving corps to make a point about Taylor is what makes it a straw man argument. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll always remember Tyrod as that QB that lead the offense to 3 points in his first playoff opportunity with the Bills. The same year he was benched for a rookie. That is how it reads in my history book.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Completion percentage equals passes caught. Accuracy equals ball placement. Glad TT has a decent stat in the former,  but he could be a helluva better in the latter. 

An experienced Tailor always improves ball placement.....

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's absolutely a straw-man argument. The Bills wide receiving talent is nowhere near the Eagles'  wide receiving talent. Jeffery was the #1 FA WR last season. He is elite. Nelson Agholor is also a very good player. Torrey Smith would have been better than any receiver on the Bills this season. Ertz is great too - certainly better than Clay. Finally, they dumped Ryan Matthews because they knew they had better. 

Invoking the Eagles far superior receiving corps to make a point about Taylor is what makes it a straw man argument. 

200w.gif

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

When most of your throws are 3 yard check downs to the HB, it's easy to be accurate.

Can't wait for this guy to be gone so we don't have to read any more Tyrod threads again.

He's like Rasputin.  You can't get rid of him.

This is exactly the kind of exaggeration that pulls people out to object, who then get labeled "Cult of Tyrod" or "Tyrod Lovers" perhaps because they dislike exaggeration.

There are simple metrics that look at this - Y/A and YPC.  Tyrod had his lowest Y/A and Y/C of his three seasons this year at 6.7 and 10.6, but simply put, a guy can not average 6.7 Y/A if most of his passes are 3 yd checkdowns, unless an almost equal number of passes average at least 9 ypa.

Accuracy is a different thing than what length of passes are being attempted and whether they're being completed though - accuracy is put the ball exactly where you want it, as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers do, and as Nick Foles did in the Championship game and Superbowl (and as Case Keenum, to my eyes, does not).   This was hard to tell this year with Tyrod because I wasn't always sure if his WR were running the routes he expected, as he expected.  People create whole narratives here as well like Tyrod's throw to KB  sailed way over his head when actually it hit KB's hands with one of his feet barely off the turf, and many a WR jumps higher to make completions like that.  Certainly he didn't make the accurate deep ball throws this year that he made last year, but is that on Tyrod or on the WR for not getting off the line and downfield as fast as in practice, can't tell you.

The real problem with Tyrod IMO is not the length of the passes he attempts, or whether he's accurate in his ball placement when he throws, but whether and when he attempts passes at all vs. how often his WR have separation and are open for a pass.  And that is a problem.

37 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Please, like the Eagles wideouts are wide open all the time. 

Foles made all the throws that Tyrod won’t attempt. 

Excuse after excuse.    Year after year.   

Do you really want to make the argument that the game-available WR talent on the Bills this year was in any way comparable to the Eagles WR talent?  Keep in mind they swapped us their #4 (maybe) WR, who incidentally as a rookie was slotted to be their #2 WR the year Foles "sucked".

Please don't.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, come on. There's a difference there, Hapless.

I agree with what you said about Tyrod's words. Nothing wrong with them. You expect a QB to be confident. 

But there's certainly such a thing as garbage time and unsuccessful comebacks are a bit different. You know this. 

Do I?  I tell you what, I make you a fair offer.  Can you explain to me what "garbage time" is, in any objective way other than "I know it when I see it"?

Too often, people use it to describe any throws in the 4th quarter when the team is behind by more than one score, even if they have been moving the ball and stopping the opponent well in the 2nd half, closing the gap.  It's not exactly a surprise that every QB passes more in that situation.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is exactly the kind of exaggeration that pulls people out to object, who then get labeled "Cult of Tyrod" or "Tyrod Lovers" perhaps because they dislike exaggeration.

There are simple metrics that look at this - Y/A and YPC.  Tyrod had his lowest Y/A and Y/C of his three seasons this year at 6.7 and 10.6, but simply put, a guy can not average 6.7 Y/A if most of his passes are 3 yd checkdowns, unless an almost equal number of passes average at least 9 ypa.

Accuracy is a different thing than what length of passes are being attempted and whether they're being completed though - accuracy is put the ball exactly where you want it, as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers do, and as Nick Foles did in the Championship game and Superbowl (and as Case Keenum, to my eyes, does not).   This was hard to tell this year with Tyrod because I wasn't always sure if his WR were running the routes he expected, as he expected.  People create whole narratives here as well like Tyrod's throw to KB  sailed way over his head when actually it hit KB's hands with one of his feet barely off the turf, and many a WR jumps higher to make completions like that.  Certainly he didn't make the accurate deep ball throws this year that he made last year, but is that on Tyrod or on the WR for not getting off the line and downfield as fast as in practice, can't tell you.

The real problem with Tyrod IMO is not the length of the passes he attempts, or whether he's accurate in his ball placement when he throws, but whether and when he attempts passes at all vs. how often his WR have separation and are open for a pass.  And that is a problem.

Do you really want to make the argument that the game-available WR talent on the Bills this year was in any way comparable to the Eagles WR talent?  Keep in mind they swapped us their #4 (maybe) WR, who incidentally as a rookie was slotted to be their #2 WR the year Foles "sucked".

Please don't.

There is no argument to be had.     Foles makes the tight window throws that Tyrod doesn’t attempt.  (Hooray for low ints !!!) 

When Tyrod leads a passing offense to a ranking that breaks into the teens we can hear his appeal.    

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In my opinion, he’s not accurate.  Hitting a moving WR in stride more than a few yards downfield he struggles with.  

That's certainly part of a fair definition of accuracy.  It also requires a lot of practice with specific WR so the QB builds an automatic perception of where to throw.  To my perception, Taylor did this more in 2015 and parts of 2016, and less this year.

I thought it was relevant that he mentioned he wanted to "fly guys out" to wherever he was and practice with them a lot.  Whether the guys will want to be flown, if they perceive Tyrod as a lame duck, is another question.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

10 hours ago, Worstcaseontario said:

I like tyrod i really do but hes a Qb thatll get you 9 wins max in a season

If your QB only throws very low percentage throws all the time and your RB/ D carries your team any backup QB can get you 9 wins.

4 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I type very slow. I am also very accurate. I am a good typer.

This is a perfect, haha.

Edited by xRUSHx

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I dunnno, I think it is easy to understand.

Tyrod is hot and cold. Some games he plays very well, some  games he is terrible.  That leads to controversy.

Tyrod is also a statistical wonder. But his stats happen to mislead because of the way they are tabulated. Taking sacks for example doesn't hurt your passer rating. Completing passes when your team is hopelessly behind ("garbage time") doesn't hurt your passer rating.

Exactly.  He's inconsistent and fails the eye ball test. Maybe with a top 5 defense we can win 10 games every year with him, but that's the ceiling. We're not going to or winning a SB with him.

• Like (+1) 2

His accuracy from a guy who watches every minute of every game may have gotten worse. Many of his completions are off target and don't give the receiver an opportunity to make a play afterwards. His downfield passing seems like it has become way off the mark and they seem to drift out of bounds. His completion percentage stays as high as it does because he has been completing allot of screens to WRs and RBs. As a pure passer he is sub par and he doesn't break any defenses down. They crowd the line and slow down our run then we slowly plot down the field on a good drive hoping to find little creases inside of 10 yards. Captain 3 and Out.

9 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

There is no argument to be had.     Foles makes the tight window throws that Tyrod doesn’t attempt.  (Hooray for low ints !!!)

When Tyrod leads a passing offense to a ranking that breaks into the teens we can hear his appeal.   

Let's try to break this down very simply for you, since you quoted a lot of text you didn't address.

1) Interceptions are  bad.  They lead to things like 14 point score swings.

2) Throwing into tight windows for completions is good, provided it doesn't lead to a surge in INTs

3) In order to throw into tight windows, a good QB needs to have confidence that his WR will be exactly where he expects him to be when he expects him to be there, gain at least a window of separation, and be able to handle the ball appropriately if he can't make the catch (see: Foles INT on throw to Jeffries batting it into the field instead of OOB)

4) Foles could have that confidence because he had great WR

5) Tyrod could not have that confidence because he had poor or injured (or poor and injured) WR all season, with whom he was unfamiliar.

6) therefore using Foles this year as an argument against Tyrod this year is fallacious.

In fact, in a year when the Eagles shipped his 2 favorite WR out of town on Foles (2014), his INT soared, his completion percentage fell, and fans started clamoring about how he sucked and his 2013 year was an aberration.  Strange that.

I'm guessing that considering the question was "What do you want to improve upon in the offseason?" and he responded by talking about his accuracy, he meant that he wants to continue working on his accuracy and it just didn't come out right.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let's try to break this down very simply for you, since you quoted a lot of text you didn't address.

2) Throwing into tight windows for completions is good, provided it doesn't lead to a surge in INTs

3) In order to throw into tight windows, a good QB needs to have confidence that his WR will be exactly where he expects him to be when he expects him to be there, gain at least a window of separation, and be able to handle the ball appropriately if he can't make the catch (see: Foles INT on throw to Jeffries batting it into the field instead of OOB)

5) Tyrod could not have that confidence because he had poor or injured (or poor and injured) WR all season, with whom he was unfamiliar.

6) therefore using Foles this year as an argument against Tyrod this year is fallacious.

In fact, in a year when the Eagles shipped his 2 favorite WR out of town on Foles (2014), his INT soared, his completion percentage fell, and fans started clamoring about how he sucked and his 2013 year was an aberration.  Strange that.

Ok, you win.    I’ll change his score from F to D minus.  

Congrats, I don’t get your cause but others seem to be afflicted too. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They could lead to a 14 point swing depending on field position.    An INT at the 5 in the RZ that ends in a TD by the other team is a 14 pt swing.

A TD at your own 30 really isn't 14 pts.   

Buffalo's D had 3 INT's against Cincy IIRC and netted no TDs from any of them.  

I will gladly take 30 passing TD's and 10 INT's if the end result is an extra win or 2 to lock up the 5th seed.  

over 14 TD's and 4 INTs and backing into the playoffs