Chris Collinsworth

Process

It was brutal. Ertz caught the ball at the 6 yd line. Took the 3 steps and then dove a yard deep in the end zone.  CC is saying they have to overturn it.  Then after Brady’s fumble. He says NE will score get the 2 and win in OT like it was automatic 

For anyone saying he was horrible tonight obviously hasn’t watched a Pats game that he’s covered. Collinsworst (love that) has been, as SNYfans wife so eloquently put it - sucking Brady for years. He’ll even praise Brady when it’s not a Pats game. 

Its good to see I’m not the only one that caught all of his dumbass comments.... especially that OT win bs he pulled out.

he is a disgrace to the NFL, should be tossed out and relegated to a gig on Boston AM radio.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

It was brutal. Ertz caught the ball at the 6 yd line. Took the 3 steps and then dove a yard deep in the end zone.  CC is saying they have to overturn it.  Then after Brady’s fumble. He says NE will score get the 2 and win in OT like it was automatic 

I don't know why everyone didn't make a big thing out of that fact. I kept screaming that he caught the ball at the five yard line. How could it not be a catch? Then I saw the last replay and he actually caught it like you said, at the six.

He's been around announcing for far too long... his days go back to the old AFC/NBC days.  Once you are out of football that long, and get complacent with your announcing abilities, you become insufferable.

Gruden was similar - people loved him until they grew tired of him and Gruden stopped preparing as thoroughly for each game.  It'll likely happen to Romo as well at some point.

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

He's been around announcing for far too long... his days go back to the old AFC/NBC days.  Once you are out of football that long, and get complacent with your announcing abilities, you become insufferable.

Gruden was similar - people loved him until they grew tired of him and Gruden stopped preparing as thoroughly for each game.  It'll likely happen to Romo as well at some point.

I liked Gruden til the bitter end. In large part be because he griped about the calls and stupid rules like I do.

It definitely happened with Madden.

For those criticizing Colinsworth, I found his thinking rational as the catch rule has gotten worse since they moved to that guy in New York instead of the officials for the final call.  Like the Benjamin TD being called back, it seemed the ruling on the field didn't matter anymore so it was perfectly logical to thin that same guy would overturn those two disputed TD's.  He even said "I don't know anymore" which is how I think we all feel at this point. 

Collinsworth has never bothered me.  He has pointed out things in the past that I didn't pick up which is more than most.  He's also not afraid to call out a good player who is playing a bad game.

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I liked Gruden til the bitter end. In large part be because he griped about the calls and stupid rules like I do.

It definitely happened with Madden.

He drove me crazy with falling in love with nearly every player.

The reason I dislike Collinsworth is that he drags out the same one-liners again and again rather than analyzing the play and describing exactly what went right/wrong.

Telling me that Tom Brady is a great player 20 different ways doesn't add to the game.  Tell me why play X was called against Y defense - what did they see in the game film?  Call out the coach on challenges and time management.

I feel like the color commentator's role has evolved to the point where it just hypes the league's personalities.  What do people like Collinsworth, Solomon Wilcots, Dan Fouts, and Trent Green really add to the game?  All they do is tell us "that was a great play", "Fitz went to Harvard", etc.  This is why Romo was greeted with such praise - he actually studied the tape and used his professional experience to break down the game.  He's the only one doing his job at this point.

12 minutes ago, benderbender said:

What bothered me in particular was him saying the Patriots had taken the lead when they scored a touchdown to tie. In a game when an PAT and FG have been missed, it was counting his eggs too early at best and lazy commentating at the least.

Al Michaels said that.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know if anyone else caught it, but the only comment by collinsworth that stood out to me was at the very end of the game when he blurted out, "this game is almost as good as justin timberlake!"

The one that stood out to me was "I can't wait until they overturn this touchdown!"

God it's awful. I didn't realize NBC had the game this year. I had an over/under wager going for how many times he says "Now here's a guy who....."

My other favorite of the night was Al Michaels at the end (full disclosure, I've always liked him, just can't stand the Pats homer Collinsworth) - "Yet another Super Bowl that ends on the final play!" 

Don't they all end on the final play?

Collinsworth arguing that Ertz's TD wasn't a TD was just horrific

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Do I recall him saying the eagles might have been better off punting to get the last possession than they were after they converted that 4th down?

I didn't catch that but if so.....

9 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Then on the replay of the 2pt convo where the pats defender clearly doesn't even try to look at the ball, just blatantly shoves the receiver right in front of the referee... And collinsWORST casually says "oh yeah, looks like contact before the ball... Oh well...  LET'S LOOK AT THE ERTZ CATCH SO I CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT MORE"

That was awful.  For those saying the Pats have low penalties because they're a well coached team, it's true - but when they do commit blatant, flagrant penalties right in front of the ref who kind of smiles at them, it's hard to believe there's no bias.  There was one especially flagrant Pats OL block in the back to pancake a defender who had broken free, right in front of the ref, and one of the announcers didn't even comment on it, kept talking about what a great job Nate Solder was doing I'm like WTF?  WTF?

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. I didn't used to hate him nearly as much as a lot of people did. The last few years he has been horrible. Today he was way, way worse. He actually said that Brady was trying to one-hop a ball to a WR at the goalline. :o

That was bad.  No, Collinsworth, Brady did NOT intend to put the ball there.

One thing that (I think it was Collinsworth) said that I think was reasonably fair and balanced is in the first half, he commented that the Eagles were getting pressure on Brady and how under pressure, he becomes an ordinary quarterback.  Correct.  Then in the second half, he said Brady had not been under any pressure all night.  He was under less in the 2nd half due partly to the Eagles D wearing down and partly to the Pats OL ramping up the holds without any calls, which was like "WTF?  In the first half you said..."

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Did he really say that ?? I think he needs to be fired for his performance yesterday. Absolute embarrassment 

He did. I'm sure his intent was referring to the media firestorm that would come from the ruling, but with all of his butt kissing it came off more as he wanted it to happen to help the Pats*.

I agree these two were awful.  Al Michaels just needs to retire.  His mind is definitely going.  He was getting peoples names wrong as well as downs and distance.  Then Collingsworth spent the whole game on his knees in front of a pantless Tom Brady, it was disgusting how much of a crush he has on Brady.

But when he went on and on about the Ertz TD that was so obvious that it was a TD, that I told my wife if they overturn it I was done with the NFL, and then was expecting it to be overturned and then moaned when it wasn't.  I wanted to reach through the TV and snap his neck to get him to shut up.

If this is NBC's #1 team if I am the NFL I insist that they get new ones or I think I look into how I can get out of the contract.  Made the NFL look terrible with the play calling.

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, him going on and on about that obvious Ertz catch and TD was ridiculous.  It was so annoying.

I honestly could not understand what he was talking about. It seemed so clear to me that he had established himself as a runner and broke the plane with full control of the ball. They got the call right but he could not seem to comprehend it. It was driving me crazy too.

Must say did not hear most of the game, but I always liked Collingsworth. I am with him on the first TD, to me not even close to a catch they way they called it this year. Second one I thought was a no-brainer, but after the year that was on catches I get his questioning why it would stand.

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Collinsworth kissed up to the Pats and Brady whenever he gets the chance.  It's been that way for a couple of years.  Tonight it was on full display.

I don't know.  Collinsworth was like a Philly cop applying transmission fluid to Foles's pole for most of the night....

11 hours ago, Manther said:

I like Collingsworth.  I thought he was good tonight too!  Screw Brady, the Pats* and their fans!!

Did you listen?  Collinsworth should have just put a Pats* jersey on.  

He is just horrible and his constant whining and complaining about what is a catch is making the whole league look bad.  To him the Pats* should get every call.  

If I was an official I would be complaining to the league about him.  

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, him going on and on about that obvious Ertz catch and TD was ridiculous.  It was so annoying.

In reality though, that hasn't been called a catch all year.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, it hasn't been called like it was on that play all year and that's what he took into consideration when announcing that call.  I think we all hated it because we feared it was going to be called in New England's favor.

• Like (+1) 2

Michaels and Collingsworth are the absolute worst team calling NFL football and that is including all the D leagues calling games on Fox and CBS.   CC voice is that of a whiny little brat.  He is so gushing of Brady I kept the TV muted the entire game unfortunately the radio feeds I had were ahead of the Directv video

48 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

In reality though, that hasn't been called a catch all year.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, it hasn't been called like it was on that play all year and that's what he took into consideration when announcing that call.  I think we all hated it because we feared it was going to be called in New England's favor.

I respectfully disagree.  To me, it was clear that Ertz had made the catch, secured the football, and made a football move (he took 2 or 3 steps with control).  Hell, the ball even crossed the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground and came lose.  It was abundantly clear, IMO, that he was a runner.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I didn't understand what the controversy was all about...

28 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I respectfully disagree.  To me, it was clear that Ertz had made the catch, secured the football, and made a football move (he took 2 or 3 steps with control).  Hell, the ball even crossed the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground and came lose.  It was abundantly clear, IMO, that he was a runner.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I didn't understand what the controversy was all about...

Yeah, the only reason I was questioning it was because while he was taking those steps he seemed to be on his way to the ground.