Chris Collinsworth

Process

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

In reality though, that hasn't been called a catch all year.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, it hasn't been called like it was on that play all year and that's what he took into consideration when announcing that call.  I think we all hated it because we feared it was going to be called in New England's favor.

The Steelers are certainly salty about Ertz "catch" vs. Jesse James "incomplete pass", but they really are different plays.  James caught the ball, got both feet down, and went to the ground, bobbling the ball as he did.

Ertz caught the ball on the 6 yard line.  If he hadn't become a runner by the time the ball crossed the plane, I don't know when a guy catching a pass ever becomes a runner.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, him going on and on about that obvious Ertz catch and TD was ridiculous.  It was so annoying.

Can't agree more. He refused to accept Ertz had the catch and had become a runner. I lost all respect for him because he just went on and on about it. He was wrong but couldn't admit it.

I still like Collinsworth, but his Patriots* obsession was terrible to listen too.

I hated the butt kissing of the Patriots* & Tom Brady that he was doing last night, but to be fair, which commentator out there doesn't do this?

Everybody, whether it's ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN or NFL Network, all kiss up to Brady & the Cheaters. This is not unique to Collinsworth, no matter how blatant it is. Al Michaels was kissing up too, constantly referring to Brady as "Tom".

When has any announcer ever called the Patriots* out on anything?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I respectfully disagree.  To me, it was clear that Ertz had made the catch, secured the football, and made a football move (he took 2 or 3 steps with control).  Hell, the ball even crossed the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground and came lose.  It was abundantly clear, IMO, that he was a runner.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I didn't understand what the controversy was all about...

He caught it at the six yard line. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I respectfully disagree.  To me, it was clear that Ertz had made the catch, secured the football, and made a football move (he took 2 or 3 steps with control).  Hell, the ball even crossed the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground and came lose.  It was abundantly clear, IMO, that he was a runner.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I didn't understand what the controversy was all about...

Like I said, whether you thought it was a catch or not, plays like that have been called incomplete all season.  Goodell stated that he's concerned about the catch rule and that changes could be coming.  Do you not remember the Pittsburg New England game?  Very similar play, called differently.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, the announcers had to take into consideration plays this year and Al Riveron who was in the booth making that call.  Certainly not as cut and dry as you make it sound.

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Michaels and Collingsworth are the absolute worst team calling NFL football and that is including all the D leagues calling games on Fox and CBS.   CC voice is that of a whiny little brat.  He is so gushing of Brady I kept the TV muted the entire game unfortunately the radio feeds I had were ahead of the Directv video

If their the worst why would nbc have them on

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Steelers are certainly salty about Ertz "catch" vs. Jesse James "incomplete pass", but they really are different plays.  James caught the ball, got both feet down, and went to the ground, bobbling the ball as he did.

Ertz caught the ball on the 6 yard line.  If he hadn't become a runner by the time the ball crossed the plane, I don't know when a guy catching a pass ever becomes a runner.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it seem.  Ertz only got two steps down and then when he finally got to the ground the ball popped out.  I thought it was a catch but to bash the announcer for not knowing based on the way the league has called those plays this year is low to me.  It was certainly not clear cut by any means, at least not for this season.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Like I said, whether you thought it was a catch or not, plays like that have been called incomplete all season.  Goodell stated that he's concerned about the catch rule and that changes could be coming.  Do you not remember the Pittsburg New England game?  Very similar play, called differently.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, the announcers had to take into consideration plays this year and Al Riveron who was in the booth making that call.  Certainly not as cut and dry as you make it sound.

Clements catch may have been overturned during the season, but Ertz's catch AND run was a horse of another color without any doubt.

1 minute ago, Spiderweb said:

Clements catch may have been overturned during the season, but Ertz's catch AND run was a horse of another color without any doubt.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a catch.  I'm simply stating that bashing an announcer for not knowing cut and dry what the call would be and trying to look at it several times after the year we've had with catches being called incomplete...that's a little low IMO.  What do you honestly say in that position?  Those were close calls that have similar calls that were incomplete during the regular season.  

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I respectfully disagree.  It has to do with the amount of travel between the catch and the bobble.

Not that I disagree that the catch rule is bullcrap and changes are overdue, but a catch at the 6 yd line/bobble after the ball crosses the plane and a catch at the 1-2 yd line (one foot/two feet/fall/bobble) aren't the same play and you don't need to be a replay genius to see that.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

It's not as cut and dry as you make it seem.  Ertz only got two steps down and then when he finally got to the ground the ball popped out.  I thought it was a catch but to bash the announcer for not knowing based on the way the league has called those plays this year is low to me.  It was certainly not clear cut by any means, at least not for this season.

I can't blame the announcers for being uncertain - I was uncertain, despite how much of a catch-run-plane-bobble sequence it looked like to me.  But they just kept on and on and on about it, even after the call, to the detriment of being able to follow the game.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I respectfully disagree.  It has to do with the amount of travel between the catch and the bobble.

Not that I disagree that the catch rule is bullcrap and changes are overdue, but a catch at the 6 yd line/bobble after the ball crosses the plane and a catch at the 1-2 yd line (one foot/two feet/fall/bobble) aren't the same play and you don't need to be a replay genius to see that.

Like I stated in the previous posts, whether you thought it was a catch or not, the way it's been called this year...it wasn't a cut and dry call.  I don't think you can bash the announcer for talking about the play and not knowing which way it'd be called because of previous calls

Edited by Buffalo30

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

In reality though, that hasn't been called a catch all year.  Whether you thought it was a catch or not, it hasn't been called like it was on that play all year and that's what he took into consideration when announcing that call.  I think we all hated it because we feared it was going to be called in New England's favor.

Exactly.

Yes, Collinsworth belabored this play and how it should be called, but we saw a lot of similar plays like this during the year, that were initially called touchdowns, but were wrongly overturned.

We all saw it happen to us with Kelvin Benjamin.

I ask all of you, and be honest, would you have been shocked if the instant replay official would have overturned the last 2 touchdowns by the Eagles? I wouldn't have.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I ask all of you, and be honest, would you have been shocked if the instant replay official would have overturned the last 2 touchdowns by the Eagles? I wouldn't have.

Kraft forgot to sign the check, clearly...

it's a replay, anything can literally happen after the review

easy to say it was so obvious AFTER the final call was made, especially if it confirms your view

but geez who knows what they are going to decide in any sport now?

Edited by row_33

17 hours ago, Process said:

Despite always sounding like he's suffering from the worst constipation of his life, I always liked him as an announcer. 

Not anymore, he was an embarrassment tonight. 

Lost all respect for the guy. 

I'm sure him and riveron are in the Patriots locker room double teaming Brady trying to console him.

I quit watching inside the NFL because of him

Collinsworth and his takes have always been trash, going all the way back to old school HBO Inside The NFL.

He used the expression “violent” last night about two dozen times. It was irksome.

14 minutes ago, Gary M said:

I quit watching inside the NFL because of him

Ha, I didn’t see this before my I posted, but there ya go! It wasn’t just me!

3 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I couldn't figure out why he doesn't understand that Ertz caught the ball took three steps and dove how that's not a football move. If they overturned that I would of turned the tv off. Collinsworth was acting like there was no way that was a TD.

Because of the call against Pittsburgh, which was wrong.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

James caught the ball and had enough control to extend it beyond the goal line with both hands .

I think that should be a football move.

17 hours ago, Manther said:

I like Collingsworth.  I thought he was good tonight too!  Screw Brady, the Pats* and their fans!!

Nobody is perfect, but I honestly didn't detect him being extra awful last night.  Still rather hear him and Al, than most of the other guys right now.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed - exactly correct 

18 hours ago, Process said:

Despite always sounding like he's suffering from the worst constipation of his life, I always liked him as an announcer. 

Not anymore, he was an embarrassment tonight. 

Lost all respect for the guy. 

I'm sure him and riveron are in the Patriots locker room double teaming Brady trying to console him.

I had no idea how bad he was because I don't usually watch the NBC games unless the Bills are playing. Last night you had to basically hand him a towel to wipe the Pats :censored: off of his face. Terrible announcer. It should have been him and Brady in the Dirty Dancing commercial.

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Nobody is perfect, but I honestly didn't detect him being extra awful last night.  Still rather hear him and Al, than most of the other guys right now.

I’m not as obsessed with being anti Pats as some on this board are, but Collinsworth was over the top. Heaping praise on Brady with the Pats down ten at the half was absurd. There is nothing wrong with a brief mention of last years comeback, but the Eagles play deserved at least a mention. Unfortunately, Collinsworth chose to incessantly rave about the team who was trailing going into the half. As usual, Collinsworth sounded like nothing more than a Brady fanboy. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

It is not bashing him because he did not know -it is bashing because he complained it was not a catch as if he knew.  

If he had had said boy I am not sure - it seemed like a catch - there would be no issue.  He kept on about it not being a catch. 

To me even if you did not rule him a runner - there was never a shot where the ball hit the ground - it bounced up from his hands and then he caught it on the fly again anyway.  It was a TD every way, but CC was just dead wrong.

Apparently I’m lucky that I pay little attention to the announcers. They seem to cause great angst to many. I like Romo, most I find ordinary, and it would take something worse than Collinsworth last night to get me upset. 

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is not bashing him because he did not know -it is bashing because he complained it was not a catch as if he knew.  

If he had had said boy I am not sure - it seemed like a catch - there would be no issue.  He kept on about it not being a catch. 

To me even if you did not rule him a runner - there was never a shot where the ball hit the ground - it bounced up from his hands and then he caught it on the fly again anyway.  It was a TD every way, but CC was just dead wrong.

He was saying he didn't know most of the time?  I just rewatched it again.  I don't know what you heard.  Plus, the ball definitely hit the ground and moved in his hands and then popped up in the air.  Watch it again.  I think it's a touchdown but to say that's not even close to the other calls this year...come on.  The whole year has been about "the process of taking it to the ground."  Listen to what he says again throughout the entire thing.  I have a hard time bashing that after this crazy year of catches being overturned.  I think everybody is just getting really defensive because New England is involved.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

He was saying he didn't know most of the time?  I just rewatched it again.  I don't know what you heard.  Plus, the ball definitely hit the ground and moved in his hands and then popped up in the air.  Watch it again.  I think it's a touchdown but to say that's not even close to the other calls this year...come on.  The whole year has been about "the process of taking it to the ground."  Listen to what he says again throughout the entire thing.  I have a hard time bashing that after this crazy year of catches being overturned.  I think everybody is just getting really defensive because New England is involved.  

I repeat. He caught it at the six yard line. 

17 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Because it’s all they have

inertia

50 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I repeat. He caught it at the six yard line. 

The replay decisions have been so inconsistent that there is no way you could be certain what they would do

It seems righteous after the final decision and your incredible bias against the Pats (don't blame you) though, doesn't it?

Both catches should have stood.  The 1st was close, but there wasn’t enough to overturn the call on the field.  The moment the ball moved was actually pretty simultaneous with  his 2nd foot touching the ground.

The 2nd was clearly a touchdown.  He was a runner.  If he lost it, it would have been a fumble.

It really is great karma that the Pats had those go their way all season.

Edited by Success

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Both catches should have stood.  The 1st was close, but there wasn’t enough to overturn the call on the field.  The moment the ball moved was actually pretty simultaneous with  his 2nd foot touching the ground.

The 2nd was clearly a touchdown.  He was a runner.  If he lost it, it would have been a fumble.

It really is great karma that the Pats has those go their way all season.

you are letting your bias against the Pats and your belief in some god of football ripoffs guide you

the first call was 50/50 and the second was correct

but they do whatever they want to in the replay booth and ignore what we see on the screen all the time...

don't be fooled into accepting the process works because it worked THAT TIME....

1 minute ago, Success said:

He crossed the plane of the end zone before he popped it up into the air anyway, so it wouldn't have been a fumble even if he lost it

3 minutes ago, Success said:

This is what it ultimately came down to imo. The league simply could not afford to overturn calls on the field in a way that benefited a team that many believe get preferential treatment anyway. It would've been the 8th or 9th time this year alone that they benefited from a ruling like that.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

He became a runner and the ball crossed the EZ.   

Case Closed.  

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

And I repeat, with all of the calls that occurred this year it was not a clear cut call by any means.  In the past it was but not this year.  

How many benefited the Pats? 

thats the answer