Will Mayfield be available at #21?

wppete

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Do you guys think it’s possible teams will be shy to draft Baker Mayfield early in the draft because of off field concerns and his height? Maybe a slide like an Aaron Rodgers had?

The more I watch video on him the more I feel he would be perfect for our offense and weapons. He is very accurate and a strong arm. I’m a big fan. Hope it happens would love to see him as a Bill. 

Mayfiled is likely going in the top 5, certainly in the top 10. He won't be there for us in the 1st. 

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If Cousins goes to Jax (which I don't think will happen), then that makes Bortles available.   If Miami takes a first round QB, it's likely they'll cut/trade Tannehill to save some $$.

Ok and who wants Bortles and or Tannenhill?

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Miami is already on the record with Tannehill as their QB in 2018 per Adam Gase. 

Teams NEVER change their mind

• Haha (+1) 1

I can’t help but feel that Mayfield is going to drop. Obviously I don’t know for sure but I just don’t see him as a top ten pick because of his height. Doesn’t bother me. The guy is very accurate and lives for the game. I don’t see the top ten teams grabbing him and passing on other great talent especially lineman. With Cousins to sign somewhere and several other quality Qb prospects in the draft he may fall a long ways in the first round. Don’t be too sure that we take him either in round 1. I don’t know that Mayfield is a Mcbean kind of guy. Glad I don’t have to make that decision!! 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think it's more likely that Josh Allen is there at 21. 

I don't see the giants taking a QB so I would expect Darnold at #1, Rosen at #5/6 (depending on cousins), Allen or Mayfield at #15 and then the potential that the other falls. However, this seems unlikely. 

Which four teams do you see in the top ten/trading up that are desperate enough for a QB to spend a top ten pick? 

If Josh Allen is there a #21, by all means take that shot....he is not polished....but, has the huge upside.  No guts, not glory.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They might even have to trade up a little to get Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.  I have a feeling that there will be a big QB feeding frenzy.

Agreed - it does tend to happen.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Mayfield is there then to me that signifies buyer beware. I will not claim to know more than any coach or scout in the NFL. I also have not spoke to Mayfields coaches or Mayfield. I only base my opinion on what I watched against UGA. Mayfield is an emotional player. If Mayfield makes it out of the top 12 there is a reason. Just like there was for Loseman, Manuel, Barkley, Quinn....etc 

I would be cautiously optimistic for a first round qb choice.  I also know it doesn’t mean the answer to the question at QB has necessarily been solved. 

You can't get yourself too twisted around that - Aaron Rodgers slid to #23.  Turns out the big secret on the other teams was that they were idiots.   Brees was "too short" so he slid to the top of the 2nd.

Mayfield's behavior is zero worry for me - and I'm one who was certain Manziel would fail b/c of his antics - those two are apples and oranges.  Mayfield is a competitor, he can tone down how he shows it the small amount needed to succeed.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bring it said:

I can’t help but feel that Mayfield is going to drop. Obviously I don’t know for sure but I just don’t see him as a top ten pick because of his height. Doesn’t bother me. The guy is very accurate and lives for the game. I don’t see the top ten teams grabbing him and passing on other great talent especially lineman. With Cousins to sign somewhere and several other quality Qb prospects in the draft he may fall a long ways in the first round. Don’t be too sure that we take him either in round 1. I don’t know that Mayfield is a Mcbean kind of guy. Glad I don’t have to make that decision!! 

I can see it happening too. Many QB needy NFL teams in the top 10 may flirt with the idea of drafting Mayfield, but then draw back when the decision comes around to actually picking a sub 6' QB with possible immaturity issues. Today's NFL teams won't tolerate much drama stuff any longer. They can tolerate it in later rounds but not a high first round QB pick. Adding to that, there are other draft eligible QBs who are rising like Lauletta and White and then you also have a glut of free agent QBs like Cousins, Keenan, Bradford, Bridgwater and McCarron. Heck, even Tyrod will be out there as a possibility for a mid round pick trade.

I also wonder if the Bills would pass on Mayfield as well (because he doesn't fit their overall QB profile). They probably have 3 QBs that they will be targeting...1st QB is the guy they'd have to give up the farm to get like Darnold, 2nd QB is the guy who will probably be there with one of their firsts like Rudolph or Jackson, 3rd QB is the guy in the 2nd/3rd round like Lauletta or White. They no doubt have a plan to get a QB in the draft and I'm thinking that plan does not include giving up much in draft picks.

Edited by 1billsfan

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...in the true spirit of FULL DISCLOSURE and admittedly being two filaments short of a bright light in year 55 of following da Bills/NFL, has Funk & Wagnalls finally accepted the TRUE definition of a FRANCHISE or ELITE QB?......I missed the memo...........

This is very relevant here.  It seems that some think that it is written in stone that Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are sure-fire top 10 in the league QBs. Based on history there will probably be 1 QB who turns out to be great, 2, maybe 3 who turn out to be good starters whom their team is not trying to replace and the remainder likely fall between ok lowered 1/3 of the league starters and flat out busts.  - And THAT would be a very good QB class compared to history.

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Do you guys think it’s possible teams will be shy to draft Baker Mayfield early in the draft because of off field concerns and his height? Maybe a slide like an Aaron Rodgers had?

The more I watch video on him the more I feel he would be perfect for our offense and weapons. He is very accurate and a strong arm. I’m a big fan. Hope it happens would love to see him as a Bill. 

Nope!

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Of course we got more pressing needs then moving up for a franchise QB,  I guess franchise QB falls somewhere between Long snapper and place holder on the needs list for McBeane.  But God forbid they need a Cornerback they'll move heaven and earth to get one of those guys.

Is this based on his track record as a GM?

No he wont. I’m also quite surprised at how many folks are unwilling to take a risk on trading up to draft a guy. This is the best group of prospects in quite some time and now is the time to take a risk.  If we draft a top QB now he will be hitting his stride at the exact time Brady retires and the division becomes an open competition again.  If you keep waiting for a risk free option you will wait forever and QBs who are worthy of a top 5 pick are not as risky as you think. 

Im not sure about mayfield but I expect many will see him as a massivley more accurate tebow, in terms of leadership.  Hes supremly accurate and has all the intagible things.  He wont make it far from top 10 if at all.

3 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Agreed - it does tend to happen.

You can't get yourself too twisted around that - Aaron Rodgers slid to #23.  Turns out the big secret on the other teams was that they were idiots.   Brees was "too short" so he slid to the top of the 2nd.

Mayfield's behavior is zero worry for me - and I'm one who was certain Manziel would fail b/c of his antics - those two are apples and oranges.  Mayfield is a competitor, he can tone down how he shows it the small amount needed to succeed.

Personally I think Mayfield will tone the “rah-rah college stuff” down in the pros. He is ultra competitive and seems to respect the game instead of him being bigger than the game. Ala Manziel.

10 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Personally I think Mayfield will tone the “rah-rah college stuff” down in the pros. He is ultra competitive and seems to respect the game instead of him being bigger than the game. Ala Manziel.

I think of Manziel as liking the celebrity of being a QB a lot more than liking the working reality of what it takes to justify it.

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think Allen makes the most sense to the Giants. He needs the most work and 3 years behind Eli could do wonders. He has the most raw talent. 

Just seems to make too much sense to me. 

If not the Giants, I can see him falling out of the 1st round or to the Steelers or Pats**.  I agree, he needs to sit behind a vet for a while.  Great talent, just not all "put together."  

Not sure if he will be, but I do think at this point at least in the minds of many fans, especially after the Senior Bowl hype, he is being overhyped.  I don't think he'll be a top 10 guy.  I think he'll go int he 15-30 range.

I also have a feeling Josh Rosen won't be going as high as projected right now.  I think there's enough concern with his durability and his lack of pocket presence that will scare enough teams away.  If the Bills do really like him I think they'll be a chance to move up and get him w/out having to sell the farm....I'm talking somewhere in the 5-12 range.

Sam Darnold, by far the best QB in the draft, will be the #1 pick.  He is very good.  I will be shocked if he's not the 1st pick.

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Mayfield is there then to me that signifies buyer beware. I will not claim to know more than any coach or scout in the NFL. I also have not spoke to Mayfields coaches or Mayfield. I only base my opinion on what I watched against UGA. Mayfield is an emotional player. If Mayfield makes it out of the top 12 there is a reason. Just like there was for Loseman, Manuel, Barkley, Quinn....etc 

I would be cautiously optimistic for a first round qb choice.  I also know it doesn’t mean the answer to the question at QB has necessarily been solved. 

Good points, but sometimes teams get antsy and out-think themselves.  Happened with Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson.  

I don't think he will be there at #21, but I would love it if he was. I'd run up to the podium with that pick if I were the Bills and he was still there at our pick. 

Its TD so hard to predict the draft though. Every year guys fall that I'd never expect to, and others go way higher than I thought they would. So, who knows... 

9 hours ago, wppete said:

Me too , some think he will some do not. Let's hope so, but if not I think we should trade up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

These jeans say “get comfy in the green room”

I hope so, whatever he can do to slide .

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Im not sure about mayfield but I expect many will see him as a massivley more accurate tebow, in terms of leadership.  Hes supremly accurate and has all the intagible things.  He wont make it far from top 10 if at all.

Tebow would have been the ideal QB if he had Mayfield 's accuracy.

I'd say it's possible but I wouldn't be super confident on draft night that he's actually slipping that far.

I'll say this though; 5 QBs have been taken in the top 20 exactly once in NFL history...there's a pretty decent chance that at least one of the big 5 slips to 21; I'd bet it's Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

That would be a good thing for the Bills I think Mayfields up side far out weighs the negative that the "Professionals" talk about !!

Mayfield has always been the under dog so who better to be the Bills QB of the future !!

Although if he is gone & Rudolf is still available at 21 i would take him in a heart beat so they could keep both number one picks !!