Why Do you Love the Buffalo Bills?

Buffalo716

For me it's simple . Football has been my life since I can remember 

The Bills have always been a part of that...

Football is about building bonds and becoming better people ... I have been blessed to be born in Buffalo where I can share that bond with 70,000 people on game day 

It truly is a special place on earth , and nothing quite matches it

There is no place I'd rather be than with all of you Bills fans on a Sunday

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Football is my favorite sport and the Bills are my favorite team.  It has been this way from my earliest memories and will be this way when I exhale for the last time.

It’s kind of strange when I really think about it.

What's strange?

my earliest memories in life are Bills memories when I was 4-5 years old

ill die a Hardcore Fan as well like most here

Edited by Buffalo716

Around 1973, I was living in North Jersey and was about 10 years old when my Dad gave me a Buffalo Bills helmet for Christmas. Why he chose the Bills - or where he found it (we were right in the middle of Jets/Giants territory) - I have no idea, but I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. 

My parents also happened to get me a subscription to Pro Football Weekly. Why my parents were suddenly pushing football on me (they knew nothing about the sport) I have no idea. But that issue happened to have  OJ  being led by Joe Del. by on the cover and an article on how "the Electric Company turns the Juice loose" or something. 

So mix the helmet with the magazine cover and I was sold. And I've been a Buffalo Bills fan ever since. I've been to Buffalo one time - to see the Dolphins/Bills game where Kelly ran it in with no time left to win the game! It was fantastic. Haven't been back since...but one day, I hope to go back, get some good wings, and see another game.

Until then, 

Go Bills! (from Vegas)

Riddell Buffalo Bills 1965-1973 Throwback Full-Size Sale Authentic Helmet 732220.jpg

md22454674091.jpg

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Around 1973, I was living in North Jersey and was about 10 years old when my Dad gave me a Buffalo Bills helmet for Christmas. Why he chose the Bills - or where he found it (we were right in the middle of Jets/Giants territory) - I have no idea, but I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. 

My parents also happened to get me a subscription to Pro Football Weekly. Why my parents were suddenly pushing football on me (they knew nothing about the sport) I have no idea. But that issue happened to have  OJ  being led Joe Del. by on the cover and an article on how "the Electric Company turns the Juice loose" or something. 

So mix the helmet with the magazine cover and I was sold. And I've been a Buffalo Bills fan ever since. I've been to Buffalo one time - to see the Dolphins/Bills game where Kelly ran it in with no time left to win the game! It was fantastic. Haven't been back since...but one day, I hope to go back, get some good wings, and see another game.

Until then, 

Go Bills! (from Vegas)

Riddell Buffalo Bills 1965-1973 Throwback Full-Size Sale Authentic Helmet 732220.jpg

md22454674091.jpg

Awesome story!

real helmet or replica?

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was phenomenal... electric, a real slasher 

I've said it before and it's no great revelation, but it sucks that we can't celebrate OJ's  greatness. He is arguably the greatest Bills player ever. I'd say it's either Juice or Bruce.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I've said it before and it's no great revelation, but it sucks that we can't celebrate OJ's  greatness. He is arguably the greatest Bills player ever. I'd say it's either Juice or Bruce.

I would celebrate OJs success on the field... he still is on the WoF right? He is still in the HoF

he is arguably one of the most talented RBs in NFL history... He is up there with Jim Brown and Sweetness

He is legendary 

58 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

My parents also happened to get me a subscription to Pro Football Weekly. Why my parents were suddenly pushing football on me (they knew nothing about the sport) I have no idea. But that issue happened to have  OJ  being led by Joe Del. by on the cover and an article on how "the Electric Company turns the Juice loose" or something. 

Until then, 

Go Bills! (from Vegas)

md22454674091.jpg

Great story. I love your parents for doing that. Little did they know how entertaining your next 45 years would be!!  I too started rooting for Bills in 73 just because I liked the helmet logo and colors and OJ running around in it clinched the deal.

FYI: That Kelly run in was in Miami in the Orange Bowl in 1989. http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Van-Miller-Moments-1989-Victory-over-Miami/033457c7-302e-4b49-9792-dacf51d0f62e

• Like (+1) 1

I could really write a novel here but will try to brief. From the time that I was 6 (1987) until I went away to college (1999) I went to every home game with my dad and brother. We had a routine and it’s all that I knew. We would get back Sunday Night’s (my dad probably had way more beer than we thought) and would have family dinners. My mom would usually host and aunts, uncles, cousins, would all be there (my sister too of course). We would talk about the game, analyze the game and it was just what we loved. So many of my childhood memories revolve around the Bills.

Fast forward to 2015 as my mom continued battling a brain tumor. We were all together in her room, as she was in hospice and the Bills/Bengals game was on in the background. About 3 hours after it ended with the entire family there again she passed. It was almost like she planned it that way. We were all together, just how she would have wanted it. 

• Like (+1) 6

Grew up in WNY during the Super Bowl years...my earliest childhood memories are huge neighborhood football parties every Sunday, pep rallies and hallways covered with Bills posters from the Buffalo News in Elementary school, an Uncle who had season tickets and a piece of the goalpost from then Rich Stadium when the fans tore them down.  My first game was in 96 with my Dad, my two childhood best friends and their Dads and I was blown away by the atmosphere.  I was young but those memories still resonate with me to this day.  It was one hell of a time to be alive.

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Probably because it's the first sports team I became a fan of, back in 1968 or so. I was 10.

Dude...you’re me! I’ll never forget listening to the games from War Memorial on my transistor radio...then waiting all week for Channel 7 to show “Buffalo Bills Highlights” the next Saturday afternoon. Great childhood memories.

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Probably because it's the first sports team I became a fan of, back in 1968 or so. I was 10.

9 hours ago, Success said:

Football is my favorite sport and the Bills are my favorite team.  It has been this way from my earliest memories and will be this way when I exhale for the last time..

That about sums it up. 

i really have no clue anymore.  Other than ending the drought, the team has been an endless heartache for nearly 2 decades, i've relocated to SE Pennsylvania, and the NFL patently blows chunks.  But i tune in every week, i'm on here all the time and i listed to Howard and Jeremy most mornings.

I'd like to say that i'm not gonna watch the Pat*s in the super bowl yet again, but i'll have my green iggles hoodie on and root for the "home" team.

Edited by Philly McButterpants

Earliest memories of football were of the Super Bowl teams.  Dad had at one time worked in the WNY area and introduced me to the Bills.

In 2011 I finally made the trek up and it just so happened to be the Patriots game that year.  I made it another time to the then Ralph in 2013 as well.

The whole atmosphere keeps growing more and more on me.  Plus being on this site for almost a year now. 

Family has always been big bills fans. My uncle won a trip to the Jim Kelly camp in 1990 or 91 he won camper of the year and became friends with Jim. Jim called and invited him back to his camp the next year and a couple of us would hang around during the week with my uncle. We would go back every year.  Jim would drive us around in his golf cart and we would have lunch with him. He always distracts my uncle and steals his cookie lol. Jill has posted a couple pictures of him on Instagram and fb. 

Just being around Jim and some of the players that were there and seeing how treated my uncle and family the bills will always have a special place in my heart

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Grew up in Philly, never really became an Iggles fan, kinda liked the raiders with The Snake and the motley crew of players they had then.  Graduated from RIT, on my first job a co worker said lets go to a Bills game!!  I nearly spewed my drink all over him and managed to sputter the Bills SUX!  Well in 1985 they sure did!!  After lots of cajoling and being told the tailgate will be worth it!  I went.  Even after being involved in a minor multi car accident trying to get into the lot after that first tailgate I was hooked.  Bruce and Andre were drafted that year too.  Actually ended up going to all 8 games.....then the Bills acquired Kelly, midway thru the season Marv took over and season tixs were bought, sat in the scoreboard endzone for a long time.....saw some epic games, the comeback, the mashing of the Raiders in the AFC Championship, the Monday night game against the Lambs when the scored 17 in the 4th quarter to win!  Was on the field after the Jests game when we clinched the division in NOVEMBER and was nearly knocked down by the posts coming down - I can actually see myself in the picture where the fan is standing on the goalpost in '88.  Was standing on the buffalo for the last time we would be allowed on the field (then the dogs showed up and no more of those hijinks) and watched the goal posts get passed around the lower bowl - up into the upper deck and then over the side - amazeballs no one was hurt.  Saw the posts or what was left of them being paraded around while partying in the lot after the game.

Many many many crazy Parking Lot adventures, one Miami game, it was snowing pretty good - for some reason we had a mannequin that had a Marino jersey and a phin's helemt that we drove to the game with while it was strapped to the roof, once we got set up in the lot we leaned it up against the guardrails - people would come outa NOWHERE to make flying tackles to that thing......we ended up burning the marino effigy after the game......security was NOT happy......home Raiders games were ALWAYS the best, them fans are FREAKS!  Made it to 2 super bowls, thot for sure they were gonna win that last one against the cowpokes!!  Was a miserable night in Atlanta that nite.....

Ended up moving my season tixs to the Kelly Club Section....heated seats and just under the overhang, they were sweet - right on the 20 yard line - those damn tix ended up being one of many reasons that I ended my 22 year run with the Bills, only missed 3 games in that span, just the cost of it and the putrid product that was on the field led to me watching on TV.  Was there for that STOOPID "Miracle" Forward Pass game.  Still go to games now and then and still witness the tailgate hilarity only on a single game basis now.  Starting to seriously think of getting season tix now that the coaching and front office is looking good.  Baby steps.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe but them tailgates, the SB's, the players from those teams, hanging with those same players. THATS why I am a Bills fan for life.  For awhile there it was a GIVEN we would make the playoffs....then the drought and the patsies came along......ugh!  Things are turning around tho!  GO BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Non Bill, but seeing highlights as a very young boy of Eric Dickerson in the 83 and 84 season started getting me hooked on watching the Bills and NFL. Building of the team from the mid 80's up was very special to me.

On Dickerson = Friggin animal with 4500 yards, 34 TDS in 83 and 84 combined. That is really insane.

Edited by Real McCoy

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

For me it's simple . Football has been my life since I can remember 

The Bills have always been a part of that...

Football is about building bonds and becoming better people ... I have been blessed to be born in Buffalo where I can share that bond with 70,000 people on game day 

It truly is a special place on earth , and nothing quite matches it

There is no place I'd rather be than with all of you Bills fans on a Sunday

Hometown team 

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Grew up in Philly, never really became an Iggles fan, kinda liked the raiders with The Snake and the motley crew of players they had then.  Graduated from RIT, on my first job a co worker said lets go to a Bills game!!  I nearly spewed my drink all over him and managed to sputter the Bills SUX!  Well in 1985 they sure did!!  After lots of cajoling and being told the tailgate will be worth it!  I went.  Even after being involved in a minor multi car accident trying to get into the lot after that first tailgate I was hooked.  Bruce and Andre were drafted that year too.  Actually ended up going to all 8 games.....then the Bills acquired Kelly, midway thru the season Marv took over and season tixs were bought, sat in the scoreboard endzone for a long time.....saw some epic games, the comeback, the mashing of the Raiders in the AFC Championship, the Monday night game against the Lambs when the scored 17 in the 4th quarter to win!  Was on the field after the Jests game when we clinched the division in NOVEMBER and was nearly knocked down by the posts coming down - I can actually see myself in the picture where the fan is standing on the goalpost in '88.  Was standing on the buffalo for the last time we would be allowed on the field (then the dogs showed up and no more of those hijinks) and watched the goal posts get passed around the lower bowl - up into the upper deck and then over the side - amazeballs no one was hurt.  Saw the posts or what was left of them being paraded around while partying in the lot after the game.

Many many many crazy Parking Lot adventures, one Miami game, it was snowing pretty good - for some reason we had a mannequin that had a Marino jersey and a phin's helemt that we drove to the game with while it was strapped to the roof, once we got set up in the lot we leaned it up against the guardrails - people would come outa NOWHERE to make flying tackles to that thing......we ended up burning the marino effigy after the game......security was NOT happy......home Raiders games were ALWAYS the best, them fans are FREAKS!  Made it to 2 super bowls, thot for sure they were gonna win that last one against the cowpokes!!  Was a miserable night in Atlanta that nite.....

Ended up moving my season tixs to the Kelly Club Section....heated seats and just under the overhang, they were sweet - right on the 20 yard line - those damn tix ended up being one of many reasons that I ended my 22 year run with the Bills, only missed 3 games in that span, just the cost of it and the putrid product that was on the field led to me watching on TV.  Was there for that STOOPID "Miracle" Forward Pass game.  Still go to games now and then and still witness the tailgate hilarity only on a single game basis now.  Starting to seriously think of getting season tix now that the coaching and front office is looking good.  Baby steps.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe but them tailgates, the SB's, the players from those teams, hanging with those same players. THATS why I am a Bills fan for life.  For awhile there it was a GIVEN we would make the playoffs....then the drought and the patsies came along......ugh!  Things are turning around tho!  GO BILLS!!

Don't apologize that was a beautiful post man

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Don't apologize that was a beautiful post man

Thanks man!  Your screen image is the very pix I am talking about too!!  What a day that was......I had this STOOPID foam finger that my wife screamed to me to give her as I took off down the stairs to get my ass on the field.....I was no kidding on the ground on my hand and knees and tons of people milling around at one point thinking this ain't good - all of a sudden this dude the size of a NFL Lineman just picked me up - man was I happy!  Oh and the Foam Finger?  Made it back in one piece much to the amazement of my now ex wife.

Man those were the days!!!  I will never ever stop watching and rooting!!!

GO BILLS!

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

eb471ecf1465dc418b6ac78e1ccbf1bf5b5479ff

OMFG!!!  THAT was hilarious!!!

Like many, I became an OJ Simpson fan in 1972, and the Bills naturally followed.  I remember the Chuck Knox years when we finally made the playoffs.  Kay Stephenson and "Sails Out of Our Wind".  My buddy wanted Flutie when I said Bruce Smith was the man, and we know how that turned out.  SuperBowls, Forward Pass, Drought, playoffs again.  So why do I love the Bills?  Deep seated masochism and resentment.

I truly don't know.  "It's in my Blood" I guess.

I started watching football with my Grandpa when I was 5 or 6.  I remember Jack Kemp as QB.  The first football game I remember was the AFL loss in 1966 to miss out on Superbowl I, on a small black and white TV with aluminum foil draped over the rabbit ears and lovingly tweaked to tune up reception as we waited for kickoff.  

I left Buffalo in 1977 at age 16 and have never been back for more than a few weeks, but it's always stayed with me.   I suppose it's a way of remembering my Grandpa.

Or maybe it's just in my blood now.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1