Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

34 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

no they have not.

silly thinking.

Bills really have nearly little 1st string talent at this point and even less able depth. injuries are a funny entity

tough row to hoe

Beane has his work cut out for him

I really hope Beane is a better at drafting players than he is at cutting players, because he is going to need to be.  If they miss on this draft, there will be pain for years.

40 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

problem:

the 5 wins in the win column. THAT is going to be our undoing.

There are six 4-6 teams in the AFC. If only we had one fewer fluky win, we could still get a very high pick. Still, several of those teams will pass us, this team is AT BEST winning ONE more game

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This was one of the worst efforts by a Bills team during the drought............and coming off a really bad one the week earlier.

I don't think the Pegula's signed up for more embarrassment/quitting in front of the home folks........especially with all the talent McD dumped(and dead money eaten by Pegula's) in the name of not having players on the team who would quit on him.

Not too early to start handicapping McD's replacements for the 2019 season:

1)Bill O'Brien......he may get fired this season 

2)James Franklin

Pegula's will be likely to go to the area they know........Penn State connections.

Hi Baldo.

• Haha (+1) 2

I don’t get most of this discussion - this league has been a week to week league for YEARS. I find it shocking that people year after year make these grand predictions and every year it amounts to nothing. Very few teams fall outside the week to week ups and downs of the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, SDS said:

I don’t get most of this discussion - this league has been a week to week league for YEARS. I find it shocking that people year after year make these grand predictions and every year it amounts to nothing. Very few teams fall outside the week to week ups and downs of the NFL. 

100% correct 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This was one of the worst efforts by a Bills team during the drought............and coming off a really bad one the week earlier.

I don't think the Pegula's signed up for more embarrassment/quitting in front of the home folks........especially with all the talent McD dumped(and dead money eaten by Pegula's) in the name of not having players on the team who would quit on him.

Not too early to start handicapping McD's replacements for the 2019 season:

1)Bill O'Brien......he may get fired this season 

2)James Franklin

Pegula's will be likely to go to the area they know........Penn State connections.

You are a nut case. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

One would think that posters here would have learned about the danger of making overly definitive predictions...from 2016.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

Absolutely.

As much as I'm on cloud 9 right now, I don't think this means anything moving forward. Making the playoffs means nothing next year...

...but it means I'm watching an f'in playoff game next week!

GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by MDH

He may have lost it.  But he found it again. 

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Absolutely.

As much as I'm on cloud 9 right now, I don't think this means anything moving forward. Making the playoffs meaning nothing next year...

GO BILLS!!!!

Injuries play a large part, especially to QB's.  Hence the seasons of teams like Indy, Miami, Oakland, GB, etc.

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Absolutely.

As much as I'm on cloud 9 right now, I don't think this means anything moving forward. Making the playoffs means nothing next year...

GO BILLS!!!!

Not sure about that. However much these guys are great at what they do winning builds confidence and confidence can separate one player or equal skill from another. Winning the last game and reaching the playoffs regardless of what they do next week could help next year in late games. If they win next week, which I don't predict, that could help a lot. 

5 hours ago, MDH said:

Absolutely.

GO BILLS!!!!

Gotta disagree - bringing this franchise to the playoffs in his first year as a HC will buy McD some much-needed credibility.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

To be fair, things looked very bleak after that San Diego game.   That three game stretch in the middle of the season was as bad  as I have ever seen Buffalo or any team perform in a three game stretch.    I am sure that most of us including myself had 2008 and 2011 on their mind and were thinking "here we go again"

McDermott and the team deserve a lot of credit for finishing 4-2  after that game and doing what they needed to get in.   Great show of character and any doubts that anyone had about McDermott should be erased.   Many teams in that scenario would have mailed it in and finished 5-11 or 6-10.  

Edited by dgrochester55

19 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

To be fair, things looked very bleak after that San Diego game.   That three game stretch in the middle of the season was as bad  as I have ever seen Buffalo or any team perform in a three game stretch.    I am sure that most of us including myself had 2008 and 2011 on their mind and were thinking "here we go again"

McDermott and the team deserve a lot of credit for finishing 4-2  after that game and doing what they needed to get in.   Great show of character and any doubts that anyone had about McDermott should be erased.   Many teams in that scenario would have mailed it in and finished 5-11 or 6-10.  

I know they went through a rough patch but we should not make definitive statements only 50%-60% through the season...especially since we showed good signs of promise at the beginning.

• Like (+1) 1

the moment mcdermott and pegula won the room was when mccoy went off on trump, they held a team meeting, and management/coaches listened to the players, gave them freedom to express themselves, AND had their back.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

On that note, does it buy credit for Tyrod?

This is a good question. Weasely but honest answer is—yes and no. Tyrod was his usual self—no big mistakes, some nice plays, but still a nonentity in the second half. I still don't think he made a case for the Bills not looking for an alternative (I know, a lot of negatives in that sentence!), but he may have made a case for staying as a bridge. But at what price?

The only way he truly changes the narrative on his career is if he puts together a complete game. He has another chance to do that this coming weekend.

2 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

This is a good question. Weasely but honest answer is—yes and no. Tyrod was his usual self—no big mistakes, some nice plays, but still a nonentity in the second half. I still don't think he made a case for the Bills not looking for an alternative (I know, a lot of negatives in that sentence!), but he may have made a case for staying as a bridge. But at what price?

The only way he truly changes the narrative on his career is if he puts together a complete game. He has another chance to do that this coming weekend.

I say play TT the first drive then pull him. Let Peterman play a bit and then TT again. He just doesn't stay hot. I'm not sure what the issue is but he can only stay tough to begin with. 

4 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

I’ve been very open in my dislike of Tyrod but you do have to wonder what happens if, a huge if, he puts together a good game against Jax.  Given the Bills draft position they are gaping to have a tough time finding an “automatic” at QB.  They may not even select one at all which to me is a crazy thought.

I have a sick feeling that Alex Smith is headed to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I’ve been very open in my dislike of Tyrod but you do have to wonder what happens if, a huge if, he puts together a good game against Jax.  Given the Bills draft position they are gaping to have a tough time finding an “automatic” at QB.  They may not even select one at all which to me is a crazy thought.

That is my point. If the Bills do advance in the playoffs (not an impossibility mind you), I think that Tyrod may stay. Think about what happened when Peterman was brought in. We at TBD are the diehard fans but what would this board be like after another Petersman disaster or 2?

Maybe I'm wrong, and there are parts of TT's game that are tough to defend, but I don't know if I can think of a precedent of a team dumping their playoff qb, in his prime. If they lose to Jax I suppose anything can happen.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

That is my point. If the Bills do advance in the playoffs (not an impossibility mind you), I think that Tyrod may stay. Think about what happened when Peterman was brought in. We at TBD are the diehard fans but what would this board be like after another Peterson disaster or 2?

Maybe I'm wrong, and there are parts of TT's game that are tough to defend, but I don't know if I can think of a precedent of a team dumping their playoff qb, in his prime. If they lose to Jax I suppose anything can happen.

Your last line is crucial. If the Bills win, and Tyrod performs as he did in Miami, it remains an open question... if the Bills lose, and Tyrod puts on a display as he did against, say, the Saints or the Bengals, then we have our answer. Since he may be with a limited Shady, a lot will depend on his performance.

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Some. Maybe even enough for him to see out his final year. But not a lot. I still don't think he actually "won" us any games. Denver was his best game for me.... and that was week 3. 

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure about that. However much these guys are great at what they do winning builds confidence and confidence can separate one player or equal skill from another. Winning the last game and reaching the playoffs regardless of what they do next week could help next year in late games. If they win next week, which I don't predict, that could help a lot. 

I do not think we can define what Sunday meant with enough foresight to suggest the immediate effect and then the ripple of waves.
If they do not win but play hard , they have breached the hull of a chance at a SB run.

Just seeing it happen for them this year is just amazing. The ship is righted. The Lighthouse lamp was lit in the nick of time by the Ravens

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Hats off to McD forming a true team environment. He pretty much let Kyle lead this team to what they are right now. Kyle is the leader of this team IMO. 

This vid reminds me of coach McD and Kyle turning the team around.

.....and THEN he claps....

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That is my point. If the Bills do advance in the playoffs (not an impossibility mind you), I think that Tyrod may stay. Think about what happened when Peterman was brought in. We at TBD are the diehard fans but what would this board be like after another Petersman disaster or 2?

Just draft one. regardless. they set themselves up for flexibility in the draft.
 If They see one Buffalo Coaching ( future state )  like ? Bills should make every effort to acquire one.
Bridge another season if needed.

McBeane has appeared a bit rash at times with the players they inherited.
I have little idea what to expect how QB is going to play out>
alex smith would worry my delicate constitution 

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Some, but his history will limit how much credit he gets. I still think we should draft a QB in the first round.  TT's many limitations can be schemed against by a competent opposing D.  

But really, I would rather that this board stay away from this discussion till we are still in the playoffs. We havent savored this feeling in a long time and we need to come together and root for the team. Leave the personnel discussions for later. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Where ya at, Badol?

Come take your medicine!

What medicine?

You were the one angry that they weren't tanking.:lol:

Where did I say they weren't going to qualify for the playoffs?   

To the contrary..........said many times that Tyrod could take the team to the playoffs.

They executed Jauron Ball well enough and despite getting rag-dolled at times they got the necessary bounces/breaks to get to 9-7 and SURVIVED.

Remember,  they had won only 3 of 9 games coming into yesterday.........and the Dolphins played it like a preseason game and even that was too close.

I'm thrilled that they made it.........I think it was of paramount importance to get the drought over..........which is why I chastised you for demanding a tank......but sorry to tell you that "making the playoffs" via tie-breaker doesn't buy ANY coach 5 years.  :lol: 

I do think the odds of McD getting to year 3 and Tyrod returning to the Bills next season went up yesterday.........that's the extent of tangible change as a result of yesterdays game.:thumbsup:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2