Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I don't think the team quit at all.  This is the Bills.  Very little talent on both sides of the ball.  The two reasons the season record is as good as it is are they had the softer part of the schedule in the first half of the season, and the defense was getting crazy amounts of turnovers which was unsustainable.  The result was a 5-2 start.  And hard core Bills fans being so desperate for a team that doesn't suck, fully bought into it instead of believing what their brains should have been telling them, this is year one of a significant rebuild.

this is exactly it.  we all knew that this year would be like hitting the reset button, and i realize that the very early success threw everyone off, but good lord this place is nuts.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

this is exactly it.  we all knew that this year would be like hitting the reset button, and i realize that the very early success threw everyone off, but good lord this place is nuts.  

I think we see an overhaul in the front 7 like we had in the secondary this year.

I see at least 4 new starters next year in the front 7.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we see an overhaul in the front 7 like we had in the secondary this year.

i don't think this team is going to look anything similar next year as it does this year.  i think we all knew this was going to be the case.  

Just now, teef said:

i don't think this team is going to look anything similar next year as it does this year.  i think we all knew this was going to be the case.  

I think defensive tackle and MLB are going to be priorities in the offseason along with QB.

I see two new starting DT's, a new starting MLB and DE opposite Jerry Hughes next year.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think defensive tackle and MLB are going to be priorities in the offseason along with QB.

I see two new starting DT's, a new starting MLB and DE opposite Jerry Hughes next year.

between the draft picks and some money to work in FA, this team should be going through a rebirth...hopefully.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Doug Marrone is a good Head Coach.  His teams play hard.  And always seem to have punishing, dominating defenses.  If he and Whaley could have got on with each other the drought would be over by now.  They had the team on the right path.

You know what’s sad about Marrone is people gave all the credit for his defenses here to Schwartz, as if the head coach has nothing to do with how an entire unit of his team plays. Now he goes to Jacksonville and lo and behold, one of the best defenses in the league if not THE best. I always liked Marrone and we made a mistake not doing what we could to bring him back (firing Whaley sooner would have been a good start).

44 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Well that is one way to look at it BUT...

How much time has Peterman had to work with these receivers?

I think we have to accept that most QB's will have strengths and weaknesses.

Peterman played in a gimmicky offense at Pitt but here has shown Fitz-like traits.........gets the ball out very quick.......throws to spots........much weaker arm than you want in a vertical passing league........head scratching, random inaccuracy.

He's likely a turnover machine waiting to happen.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really think we go hard after Star Lotulelei in free agency which will turn our run defense around right away. McDermott got caught with an aging Kyle Williams who simply isn’t the player he was a couple years ago. Our whole front 7 has to be revamped. Hughes is the only one that isn’t replaceable.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I really think we go hard after Star Lotulelei in free agency which will turn our run defense around right away. McDermott got caught with an aging Kyle Williams who simply isn’t the player he was a couple years ago. Our whole front 7 has to be revamped. Hughes is the only one that isn’t replaceable.

I just wonder how much it will cost to get Star.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we have to accept that most QB's will have strengths and weaknesses.

Peterman played in a gimmicky offense at Pitt but here has shown Fitz-like traits.........gets the ball out very quick.......throws to spots........much weaker arm than you want in a vertical passing league........head scratching, random inaccuracy.

He's likely a turnover machine waiting to happen.

That about sums him up.  The head scratching, random inaccuracy was there in college too.  I really did not like him coming out, I won't say I am pumped about the idea of him as our QB, but at some point now they have to see what they have this year with him.  Not because I think it affects the decision to draft one in the 1st.... they should do that regardless.... but because I do think it affects the decision with Tyrod.  If you are content Peterman could start if your rookie isn't quite ready week 1 then why keep Tyrod on a $16m salary?  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I just wonder how much it will cost to get Star.

I honestly don’t know, I haven’t found any articles that project his salary. I have a feeling it will be moderately less than Dareus’s contract and I think when they shipped Dareus out they already had Lotulelei in mind to be his replacement.

12 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just think he's trying to play with a really old team and halfway through the season they are tired.  A lot of players don't fit the schemes and that's not his fault he inherited those players from past regimes.  

How about, you know, like  . . . FITTING THE SCHEMES TO THE PLAYERS?

Oh, no, we're too smart for that. 

15 minutes ago, papazoid said:

team is not quitting.

trading away talent and lack of depth is catching up to them.

beane/mcd not going anywhere.

They aren't "quitting"........they already quit two weeks in a row.

This roster was sold as one that was at least mentally tough and they looked like the Same Ol' Rexy quitting Bills.........except worse on both sides of the ball.

If that wasn't quitting a team has never quit.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They aren't "quitting"........they already quit two weeks in a row.

This roster was sold as one that was at least mentally tough and they looked like the Same Ol' Rexy quitting Bills.........except worse on both sides of the ball.

If that wasn't quitting a team has never quit.

I felt like they quit more in New York I felt yesterday they just got their asses handed to them by a team that was better, stronger, more mentally tough and better prepared.  I'm not gonna tell you the Bills fought like their lives depended on it - they clearly quit and turtled in the 2nd half but I feel like of two quitters performances this was the lesser of two evils.  What is more concerning is they quite twice in a row.  That didn't really happen to Rex until year 2.  His team quit a few times in year one but never in consecutive weeks.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That about sums him up.  The head scratching, random inaccuracy was there in college too.  I really did not like him coming out, I won't say I am pumped about the idea of him as our QB, but at some point now they have to see what they have this year with him.  Not because I think it affects the decision to draft one in the 1st.... they should do that regardless.... but because I do think it affects the decision with Tyrod.  If you are content Peterman could start if your rookie isn't quite ready week 1 then why keep Tyrod on a $16m salary?  

This was the Dareus dilemna.

They have starters at DT........these guys were playing a lot of snaps..........they are just a train wreck with more exposure.

Before when you game planned for the Bills you kinda' knew that running up the middle might not work because Dareus was probably going to be there.

Now teams gameplan to attack the DT's because they know he's NOT.

Peterman could turn into an absolute train wreck and force your hand to expose a rookie QB to a disastrous situation..............whereas you know what you will get with Tyrod..........he had a very rare awful game yesterday but he generally puts points on the board and doesn't turn the football over.   Give him an offseason with his receivers and history strongly suggests that he will continue his improvement as a QB.

$16M is an absolute pittance to pay if it helps the team win or helps them develop their QB of the future.   Otherwise could turn into a complete organizational reset.   

I suspect they will go the route you are talking about.......that's the kind of decision that has caused this massive quit-job by the players.

And McD is probably headed the Steve Spagnolo route........back to being a so-so DC who never gets another HC gig.

Hope I am wrong but I've been pretty spot-on about his motives and the likely results since I got a feel for him this preseason.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This was the Dareus dilemna.

They have starters at DT........these guys were playing a lot of snaps..........they are just a train wreck with more exposure.

Before when you game planned for the Bills you kinda' knew that running up the middle might not work because Dareus was probably going to be there.

Now teams gameplan to attack the DT's because they know he's NOT.

Peterman could turn into an absolute train wreck and force your hand to expose a rookie QB to a disastrous situation..............whereas you know what you will get with Tyrod..........he had a very rare awful game yesterday but he generally puts points on the board and doesn't turn the football over.   Give him an offseason with his receivers and history strongly suggests that he will continue his improvement as a QB.

$16M is an absolute pittance to pay if it helps the team win or helps them develop their QB of the future.   Otherwise could turn into a complete organizational reset.   

I suspect they will go the route you are talking about.......that's the kind of decision that has caused this massive quit-job by the players.

And McD is probably headed the Steve Spagnolo route........back to being a so-so DC who never gets another HC gig.

Hope I am wrong but I've been pretty spot-on about his motives and the likely results since I got a feel for him this preseason.

Well I am not advocating them doing that I was saying it becomes only an option if you are confident Peterman isn't a train wreck and to know that they will need to see him this year - and that is why at some point he goes in.  I am not a Peterman fan. Wasn't in college, am not really now.  I just accept that at some point now they are going to play him.  Tyrod was a disaster yesterday.  They have probably seen enough to know they are not moving on with him.  So you have to decide whether you pay the money to him next year as a bridge / backup.  I agree $16m is a pittance if he is the only show in town.  If they can get a look at Peterman and decide there is no drop off (which I see as unlikely.... as bad as Tyrod did play yesterday) then there is some sense in the move.

And you have always been higher on Tyrod than I have.  I don't see much continual improvement.  I see the odd flashes here and there in games that hint at it and then there are these horrible reversion performances.  I still think he is who he is.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I felt like they quit more in New York I felt yesterday they just got their asses handed to them by a team that was better, stronger, more mentally tough and better prepared.  I'm not gonna tell you the Bills fought like their lives depended on it - they clearly quit and turtled in the 2nd half but I feel like of two quitters performances this was the lesser of two evils.  What is more concerning is they quite twice in a row.  That didn't really happen to Rex until year 2.  His team quit a few times in year one but never in consecutive weeks.  

What's disturbing is that this roster was supposed to be devoid of quitters,  if nothing else.

That's a flaw in the McD plan..........EVERYONE has a process until they get punched in the mouth.

Most embarrassing performance I have ever attended at the Ralph.......and I've been to hundreds of home games......they could scarcely have given less effort.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

What's disturbing is that this roster was supposed to be devoid of quitters,  if nothing else.

That's a flaw in the McD plan..........EVERYONE has a process until they get punched in the mouth.

Most embarrassing performance I have ever attended at the Ralph.......and I've been to hundreds of home games......they could scarcely have given less effort.

Yep.  Not going to argue with any of that.