Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McD justified benching Tyrod as follows: "We were made to be better than 5-4."

The way I read that: McBeane promised the Pegulas that the team would be competitive this season.

The rebuild narrative may or may not be correct - but I don't think it was sold to the Pegulas that way.  They were told that the team would make aggressive moves for the future AND would also be competitive this year.  Very, very dangerous of McBeane if that's what was said.

Yeah I don't know how much clearer it can be that this wasn't sold as a major rebuild.

The projection by people that McD sold this as some major rebuild would make an interesting psychological study........it's like a real-life Battered Bills Fan syndrome where the victims feel the need to pre-apologize for failure.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I don't know how much clearer it can be that this wasn't sold as a major rebuild.

The projection by people that McD sold this as some major rebuild would make an interesting psychological study........it's like a real-life Battered Bills Fan syndrome where the victims feel the need to pre-apologize for failure.

When you get rid of players for draft picks what does that indicate to you? When a team trades down to acquire a future first round pick it indicates to me that it is looking more to the future than it is to the present. McBeane has made it abundantly clear that he is going to primarily build through the draft. If that doesn't tell you that the organization isn't going to make expedient transactions that mortgage the future for the present then I don't know what will.

Do you honestly believe that McDermott/McBeane believed that Taylor was going to be their long term franchise qb? Let's get serious. They knew what he was as a qb and what he could be. He was simply a bridge qb, and nothing more. Common sense tells you that if that is the case then a replacement, most likely through the draft, would have to be acquired. Or another way to look at the qb issue is that it was going to take time to develop a qb to the point that he is capable of leading a team. 

What is exasperating about the rebuilding process is that it should have started two years ago. The owners sabotaged the franchise by the inexplicable hiring of Rex. That's two wasted years right there, and then you have to add in the time it takes to reconfigure the roster to suit the new staff's different schemes. 

Where you and I may agree is that I strongly believed that the Bills should have drafted either Watson or Mahomes instead of trading off their first pick. The staff took a different approach. You and I can go back on forth on the rebuild or not rebuild issue. It becomes a meaningless and wasteful exchange if a franchise qb is not acquired in the not too distant future. Is Peterman the answer? I'm very doubtful. However, going to Peterman makes sense to me because we already know what we have with Taylor. Finding out what he can do is an important issue that we must know before the next draft. 

It seems that our fundamental difference revolves around the roster that McDermott inherited from Whaley. I don't believe that it was as good as you make it out to be. You seem to align yourself with the belief that a little more patchwork to the roster would suffice. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. I strongly believe that dramatically reconfiguring/rebuilding the roster was called for. And the sooner it was done the better the long-term outlook. You may be satisfied with being a fringe playoff team but I am not. 

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He is obfuscating. 

:lol:

You are hopeless JohnC.

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ok... did he obfuscate to Terry?

I think K-9 is closest to right in his parallel to a midseason benching of Kelly in 1996.   That team was in a rut........and this team quit on McD the past couple weeks......it's been a debilitating, long time mid-season doldrums issue for this franchise...... and when the coach is talking about teaching better technique......at this point in the season?  He's basically saying he has no real answers.   McD wants to stop the bleeding and maybe the Peterman move will provide a spark or shake these guys up.   Telling the team they should be better isn't obfuscating.......it's rather direct, in fact.   

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are hopeless JohnC.

I think K-9 is closest to right in his parallel to a midseason benching of Kelly in 1996.   That team was in a rut........and this team quit on McD the past couple weeks......it's been a debilitating, long time mid-season doldrums issue for this franchise...... and when the coach is talking about teaching better technique......at this point in the season?  He's basically saying he has no real answers.   McD wants to stop the bleeding and maybe the Peterman move will provide a spark or shake these guys up.   Telling the team they should be better isn't obfuscating.......it's rather direct, in fact.   

My recollection of that "benching" of Kelly is that there were other non-football related factors behind it (and which also were affecting his performance). That was a big topic of discussion back in the day. Jimbo's personal history isn't a clean one, and he has freely admitted that.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are hopeless JohnC.

In the grand scheme of things this benching of this diligent and earnest player means little because he is not in the long term plans of this new outfit. You are looking at this change from the perspective of this season. My perspective is longer than this season or next season. I'm simply not bothered by it as much as you and many others seem to be. It's my opinion that this staff believes that Taylor will never be a franchise qb, at least for us. If that is the case (my opinion) then it is the right thing to do to see if Peterman can be a starting qb in this league. I don't think so but I'm willing to give him a chance. It's important that the organization recognizes what it has with this rookie qb. It's apparent (at least to me) that it has already made a conclusive determination on what Taylor has to offer.   

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, mannc said:

I think you’re a little confused about how the Bills acquired EJ.

I know the decision involved world record idiocy.I'll amend the mistake and say that they took him slightly early..instead of when they should have which is never.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:08 AM, JohnC said:

How about using some common sense. McDermott/Beane haven't explicitly stated that they are rebuilding the roster while their actions clearly demonstrate that they are rebuilding the roster. This regime has jettisoned players such as Watkins.Darby and Ragland and getting picks for them. They traded down in the first round and got next year's first round pick from KC. You are too busy creating your fictitious scenario to peddle to the frustrated crowd instead of seeing what is being done. How about making sense to what is actually being done instead of lending credence to meaningless coach/speak and GM/speak. When you start to base your arguments on the robotic responses that are part and parcel to the business then you are naïve beyond one's imagination. 

What's next? You are going to believe Putin that he didn't meddle into our elections because he repeatedly says he didn't? That would be so Trumpian of you. 

My advice to you is simple: Watch what is being done and then make your judgments. If you believe what is literally being said by this regime then you are descending into the Forrest Gump territory of simplicity! 

This is plain and simple a rebuild. Do you need a billboard to advertise the obvious? Before you start pontificating it might be helpful to open your eyes. Give me a freaking break!

o great Trump derangement syndrome on display.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:54 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

For me......I'm tired of blaming the players.

I think there is more quitting going on league wide because players are weighing the value of banging heads for lost causes...........perhaps I am projecting.......but to the eye it seems pretty obvious.

The way to prevent quitting is to keep your players encouraged about the prospects of winning, looking good and subsequently making more money while they can.

Now that pain is no longer seen as temporary in the pain/glory scenario......the days of players being all-in for being the grist for the mill for the flour of a cake to be made later may be over.

If so.......McD came off the assembly line already obsolete.

Sorry my response is late but I have been busy, and frankly I needed more time to digest the bolded above. Wow. If this is true (and I can't really think of a reason to doubt you), the NFL as we know it will never be the same. Again, if the above is true, I predict:

1) There will be more teams with 5 wins or under.

2) There will be more teams with 10+ wins.

3)  More players will be sitting out injuries.

4) Expect to see less effort put forth (more "Gilmore" attempts at tackling).

5) The chances of sliding into even a wildcard slot without a premier QB would be slim to none.

More than likely, CTE will be a primary cause of the above. Will they risk serious physical injury for a "lost cause?" Between this and of course the kneeling, I can visualize thousands of fans being turned off to the NFL. The players will be harming their own brand and there will be less money for future players. Being a Bills fan for decades is already about as easy as painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. What will happen when the players openly quit, and the economy tanks just a bit?

Am I off base here?

On 11/15/2017 at 9:40 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Go back to January and some of the biggest supporters of this regime were the ones loudly saying we had a strong roster that was anchored by the Ryans- that we were .500 despite bad coaching and dropping a good coach into the mix would be 10 wins. 

Now its a 3+ year rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Go back to January and some of the biggest supporters of this regime were the ones loudly saying we had a strong roster that was anchored by the Ryans- that we were .500 despite bad coaching and dropping a good coach into the mix would be 10 wins. 

Now its a 3+ year rebuild.

I was one of that opinion. And it was the widespread one too. The Bills were a few kicks and plays out of the playoffs with goofy Rex. Just like with Marrone they were in had they won against the Raiders. I still don't get WTH but they've fallen off a cliff. The talent pool is weak! The fact they are STILL in the playoff mix makes it even more torture. As hope doesn't die easy, and I hope they turn it around against KC!

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I was one of that opinion. And it was the widespread one too. The Bills were a few kicks and plays out of the playoffs with goofy Rex. Just like with Marrone they were in had they won against the Raiders. I still don't get WTH but they've fallen off a cliff. The talent pool is weak! The fact they are STILL in the playoff mix makes it even more torture. As hope doesn't die easy, and I hope they turn it around against KC!

What’s happened is obvious- we let a ton of talent go. Are we officially down to 3 players drafted by buffalo in rounds 1-2 before this offseason? (Shaq, wood, Glenn)