Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They are mentally tired.

This is a common thread with Bills teams during the drought.

They reach a point in the season and for whatever reason they crack.

It isn't true physical exhaustion.......they just came off a 10 day layoff.......but it's a mental weakness........pressure........perhaps looking at the schedule and thinking they gotta' win this game or else........then laying a series of eggs.

Traditionally,  they start playing better football when they are all but eliminated from contention.

Not sure they can close out the meaningless games in December well THIS time because they lack the talent of those Marrone/Rex teams but I suspect they will find that they weren't as tired as maybe they thought they were.

Mental toughness........still lacking. 

Good take.

I think the talk about Peterman in his last pre season performance was telling of how he's viewed by some of the veterans on this team. How they were impressed, how the they think he's a great leader. And those last couple drives are only fuel to that fire. The team quit today because it's a lost cause in it's current state. You can't expect the defense to hold every team to 3 points. The offense has to answer once in awhile and they can't. And it's not even like they try to answer. 3rd and 13 and you're checking down to a 260lb fullback? Down multiple scores? I don't care how good you are as a unit, when you're on the field for 45 minutes out of 60, it's going to be a bad day. That's entirely too many opportunities for the opposing side. Most teams, when facing a high powered offense like the Saints, try to play ball control offense.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

I think the talk about Peterman in his last pre season performance was telling of how he's viewed by some of the veterans on this team. How they were impressed, how the they think he's a great leader. And those last couple drives are only fuel to that fire. The team quit today because it's a lost cause in it's current state. You can't expect the defense to hold every team to 3 points. The offense has to answer once in awhile and they can't. And it's not even like they try to answer. 3rd and 13 and you're checking down to a 260lb fullback? Down multiple scores? I don't care how good you are as a unit, when you're on the field for 45 minutes out of 60, it's going to be a bad day. That's entirely too many opportunities for the opposing side. Most teams, when facing a high powered offense like the Saints, try to play ball control offense.

Tyrod was bad today but let's try to keep in mind he had 3 WR's on the field that he had not played with at all until during the actual season.

Matthews was immediately injured upon arrival and they had very little work together until the season started.

Thompson was a recent get.

Benjamin has been there for one week of practice.

We all know Tyrod is tentative when he doesn't have faith in his targets and this is basically tentative overload for a QB.

I think a prolonged implosion would fuel them to move on from Tyrod..........but in retrospect this will look like an extremely raw deal and I would think he'd pick up a gig with a more functional organization.    

This organization has been utterly chaotic since the day Marrone quit........relentless chaos.

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They are mentally tired.

This is a common thread with Bills teams during the drought.

They reach a point in the season and for whatever reason they crack.

It isn't true physical exhaustion.......they just came off a 10 day layoff.......but it's a mental weakness........pressure........perhaps looking at the schedule and thinking they gotta' win this game or else........then laying a series of eggs.

Traditionally,  they start playing better football when they are all but eliminated from contention.

Not sure they can close out the meaningless games in December well THIS time because they lack the talent of those Marrone/Rex teams but I suspect they will find that they weren't as tired as maybe they thought they were.

Mental toughness........still lacking. 

Bingo --

'You don't want to start creating bad habits or start doubting yourself, and that's what happens when games like this kind of go back to back and you start seeing a routine of things happening," linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said.

You can't help but wonder whether Alexander and other senior defenders have reached a point where they simply don't physically have what it takes to do anything more than just wear a uniform. But that's far from the only issue. The younger guys look lost and confused. And McDermott and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier appear helpless as they watch from the sideline, offering nothing in the way of schematic answers to put people where they need to be to make stops.'

From a good piece by vic carucci: http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/12/plain-and-simple-bills-defense-is-a-full-blown-disaster/

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod was bad today but let's try to keep in mind he had 3 WR's on the field that he had not played with at all until during the actual season.

Matthews was immediately injured upon arrival and they had very little work together until the season started.

Thompson was a recent get.

Benjamin has been there for one week of practice.

We all know Tyrod is tentative when he doesn't have faith in his targets and this is basically tentative overload for a QB.

I think a prolonged implosion would fuel them to move on from Tyrod..........but in retrospect this will look like an extremely raw deal and I would think he'd pick up a gig with a more functional organization.    

This organization has been utterly chaotic since the day Marrone quit........relentless chaos.

Everyone has said this about every QB we've had in the last 20 years and how many times has it happened? He's bad. The team knows he isn't their best chance to win. He won't pick up anywhere else in the league as more than a backup.

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Everyone has said this about every QB we've had in the last 20 years and how many times has it happened? He's bad. The team knows he isn't their best chance to win. He won't pick up anywhere else in the league as more than a backup.

Couldn't disagree more. Team fully believes in Tyrod, imo; the players are not shy in voicing that. It's the other way around, as BADOL pointed out -- if Tyrod were in Houston or Denver or anywhere they knew how to use him, he would be a star player.

3 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Couldn't disagree more. Team fully believes in Tyrod, imo; the players are not shy in voicing that. It's the other way around, as BADOL pointed out -- if Tyrod were in Houston or Denver or anywhere they knew how to use him, he would be a star player.

You're nuts lol name me one even moderately successful QB that has games where he throws for 50 yards. And no matter what people say in the media, the play on the field says it all. They got down 17-3 and quit. The body language of the receivers as they come off the field after being open and not getting the ball.

Hell Sammy wanted out and consistently voiced his displeasure with not getting the ball.

Edited by Luka

28 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Exactly. Right. And for me, Gaines/Darby is a wash. Both played well, both had injuries. So that's a win. But I think a healthy Sammy Watkins for one year > injured Jordan Matthews for one year. Of course the season we swap them, Sammy stays healthy and Matthews gets hurt. Of course. They made the move for locker room reasons as much as anything, and while that's a success, Watkins would have been a difference maker this year, finally with a full year with Tyrod. Plus Benjamin. Even if we just say goodbye to Watkins afterward, I mean you don't get the second round draft pick, but this year it's not like your roster is better without elite talent, even underperforming and with issues. Your locker room is better but not your roster, not for this year. 

It's about the long term success for them.  I think this year was a wash to see who fit the system and who doesn't.  Whoever doesn't will be shown the door I think.  The draft picks will be used to replace the talent with their guys.  That's why the 

the deals all make sense.

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

I actually could see the Ravens biting the bullet and kicking Joe Flacco to the curb in favor of Tyrod and seeing Tyrod in meaningful games in December/January.

$28M in dead cap for Flacco is a lot but more interceptions than TD's in this era?    That's GHASTLY.   We aren't talking about a DT here, if your QB is bad you don't hold onto them over dead money.

Tyrod is familiar and that organization is clearly more functional.  

31 minutes ago, vincec said:

It's a long shot that you can completely tear down and rebuild an NFL roster in this day and age and hang around to see the results. The best rebuilding jobs get the good young players to "buy in" instead of shipping them off so that the turnaround goes more quickly.

Well that's the direction they are going...I suggest we all get on board or we won't see a playoff appearance for another decade. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually could see the Ravens biting the bullet and kicking Joe Flacco to the curb in favor of Tyrod and seeing Tyrod in meaningful games in December/January.

$28M in dead cap for Flacco is a lot but more interceptions than TD's in this era?    That's GHASTLY.   We aren't talking about a DT here, if your QB is bad you don't hold onto them over dead money.

Tyrod isn't good. He's never been good, he'll never be good. He does not have the accuracy and he knows it, which makes him unwilling to throw the ball down field. Last I checked, the advent of the forward pass was to give an offense the opportunity to convert a 3rd and 13.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why did they extend Wood again?

Probably because he is a "yes" man and won't rock the boat by showing up late to meetings.

36 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The offense never started to quit.  The defense was on the feild the whole game.  Buffalo were lucky to hold them to 17 at half.  The problem is the offense.

Starting to agree with this more 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This was one of the worst efforts by a Bills team during the drought............

While this was a really bad game, there have been others that were at least as bad.

2011 44-7 to the cowboys

2012 50-7 to the Hawks in Toronto

I remember us getting trounced on NE on MNF or TNF one year

That year we got trounced by Jets on opening day

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

On the drive home the other day, I heard the evening guy on the Baltimore FAN station say he’d rather have TT than Flacco, and some callers agreed. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrod got blown off the LOS so many times today. 

He ALONE was the reason the Saints ran for almost 300 yards today.

Oh shut it. He threw for 56 yards in the game. And for the 9th straight game, failed to lead even a single TD drive in the 1st quarter. The defense sucked, but that doesn't excuse the offense from sucking. The only games we've won this season can be attributed to the defense gifting so many turnovers to the offense, especially all those starting in great field position.

Our offense was on the field for 18 minutes as opposed to the Saints who were on the field for 42 minutes. If you NEVER even attempt to throw the ball to the 1st down marker, always dumping it off on 3rd & long to the RBs, you NEVER will win. Taylor didn't even try to keep us in the game. Had he ever lead any drives, and converted on 3rd downs, the Saints offense wouldn't have had so, so, sooooo many drives to begin with! Tyrod & Co. would trot out, use about 1:30, then punt, putting the defense IMMEDIATELY back on the field for the Saints to roll all over.

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

While this was a really bad game, there have been others that were at least as bad.

2011 44-7 to the cowboys

2012 50-7 to the Hawks in Toronto

I remember us getting trounced on NE on MNF or TNF one year

That year we got trounced by Jets on opening day

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Don't forget at the Niners in 2012.

But those were all road games.

This was in front of the home folks.

Worst one at home in a decade........... since the flexed night game with Patriots in 2007 where they scored the 8 straight TD's.

6 rushing TD's........including that Pennington-versus-Eddie-Robinson-esque Brees TD.   

I cannot say whether these guys have quit on McCoach and the process yet.  I could see where some guys might begin to get tired of him particularly after losing a couple of games like we have these past two games.  These past two games have not been a good omen.  These losses have been about as bad as a loss can be the way they were beaten.  I still think it is probably too early to tell.  These next string of games are going to be a test for these coaches.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I know what he's saying.

Im saying it's bull ****.... did you watch the Bills in 2014?

That was a BAD game by Tyrod, but the defense was equally as bad... and they weren't bad because Tyrod was bad. 

When you as a defender just were just on the field for 5+ mins getting the ball rammed down your throat, start walking to the bench to regroup and get some water, then before you even can sit down, the offense is already returning after using 1 minute of clock and suffering yet ANOTHER 3 & out, yeah, it gets demoralizing. As a defender, you know you're gassed and have to immediately return to the field to face another extended drive....time & time & time again.

The offense probably never even broke a sweat. Taylor's whopping 56 yards and 1 completion to a WR all game really inspires confidence. The defense knew that they were on the ropes, and needed a breather, but Tyrod said "Nope! I'm resting today boys, get back out there!" as he returned to the bench following another dump pass on 3rd & long. Even if the defense managed to make some stops, what the hell would we have done with them? You could literally double Taylor's stat line (pretending he actually converted some 3rd downs) and he'd still only have 112 yards passing on 18 completions, with 2 being to WRs... The defense would still be gassed, still be screwed, and still take a pounding... 

Edited by BigDingus