Thursday Night Football Means Nothing

HardyBoy

The jets played like they had all the time they needed to go full tilt.

I didnt see any slowness at all by the Jets.

Someone suggested the team may have been pumped up by the terrorist activity in NYC with the nut who drove down the bike path...

I can see that being a motivator, not sure it really was however.

I agree the Jets didn't seem nearly as tired as us despite having equal rest time.

I also think this game will prove to be an anomaly.

There was this Are You Afraid of the Dark episode on Nick at Night back in the day where this girl, who was the worst on her team, wishes she could be the best player on her basketball team.

Instead of getting good, everyone else ended up becoming worse, so technically she became the best on her team, but we Oregon Trail millennials learned a life lesson...that is what this game reminded me of.

Doesnt matter anyway. The NFL was never going to let the Jets lose this game.

It was honoring the first responders game and a attack happening earlier in the week as well. NY was always going to win this game the NFL was going tk make sure of that. Look at the crew assigned to officiate

Both teams played slow, it does not give any insight into either of these teams. Four days is way too soon. Seriously, go outside right now, and just dive 10 times on the ground. Then do it again in 4 days. Good luck.

Still counts for a L.

Counts as an L for sure, but does not indicate anything greater. Bad set-up for Bills tonight. On road, in short week, division opponent, playing for their season, that we had already beat once, Bills coming off a big win. Stuff happens. When team is more mature it will not let a letdown like this happen. We played stupid for the first time all year. How many penalties?

Counts as an L for sure, but does not indicate anything greater. Bad set-up for Bills tonight. On road, in short week, division opponent, playing for their season, that we had already beat once, Bills coming off a big win. Stuff happens. When team is more mature it will not let a letdown like this happen. We played stupid for the first time all year. How many penalties?

11, for 99 yards.

Road TNF games are brutal. TNF in general is brutal. 1/8 games I saw this team get clearly outplayed on O and D and that 1 game was a Thursday game on the road.. If this was Sunday or Monday I'd be extremely concerned. I'm not concerned.

I don't expect to see the Bills look like tonight at any other point in season, tonight was an anomaly. They lacked their trademark- fundamentals. I attribute that to 3 days prep , on road.. Not making excuses, just my thoughts.

Curious what road teams records are on Thursday in comparison to all other games. Still no excuse for the lack of focus.

84-56 since 2006. 60% of games won by home team. That's slightly above a home team's winning percentage overall (around 58%) since 1990. We just played awful and now a lightning bolt has struck my neighbors front tree and I can't get back to sleep.

84-56 since 2006. 60% of games won by home team. That's slightly above a home team's winning percentage overall (around 58%) since 1990. We just played awful and now a lightning bolt has struck my neighbors front tree and I can't get back to sleep.

That's cool! Much more interesting than the Bills game!

Get out there and check it out.

By the way, for anyone still up, the NFL Network is now replaying the game!

You can watch it all again! Currently 7:43 left in 1st quarter, 7-0 Jets.

There was this Are You Afraid of the Dark episode on Nick at Night back in the day where this girl, who was the worst on her team, wishes she could be the best player on her basketball team.

Instead of getting good, everyone else ended up becoming worse, so technically she became the best on her team, but we Oregon Trail millennials learned a life lesson...that is what this game reminded me of.

That's a great comparison. As a tail end of the boom-er, I'll have to go find that episode and watch it for the first time.

Doc, do you know how often the underdog wins on Thursdays vs. Sundays? My impression is that it's significantly higher, but in light of this stat, maybe I'm wrong ...

It was honoring the first responders game and a attack happening earlier in the week as well. NY was always going to win this game the NFL was going tk make sure of that. Look at the crew assigned to officiate

I knew we were in for a ****ty officiated game when I saw Booger's crew

It means a win or a loss. But it doesnt mean a season.

Yes it does. If what I am reading on here is correct, then we are out of the playoff hunt all together after last night. Might as well fire Dennison while we're at it, release Jerry Hughes, and bench Tyrod Taylor.

Oh yeah, also Marcel Dareus would have single handedly won the game for us last night.

You watched the same game i did the Jets didn't have any trouble with Thursday night !!!

I think with all that was going on at one bills drive there may have been some distractions that took away from the prep for the game ...

LOL, I said to my wife last night "If the Bills lose, it just proves the NFL is fixed"...then I explained about the events of this week, the team represents NYC, etc...she just looked at me like :huh: and said "ok...enjoy the game". I'm not crazy....right?

That's a great comparison. As a tail end of the boom-er, I'll have to go find that episode and watch it for the first time.

Doc, do you know how often the underdog wins on Thursdays vs. Sundays? My impression is that it's significantly higher, but in light of this stat, maybe I'm wrong ...

I'm not sure about the underdog but the best way to see how much it matters is the home teams record against the spread. The only info I could find was a 2014 article http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/03/home-teams-have-fared-well-since-start-of-thursday-night-tv-package-in-06/ that says the home team covers 55.6% of the time (48.1% for other games) at the time the article was written so there is some credence to the theory that home teams have more than an advantage on Thursday than Sat./Sun..

I'm not sure about the underdog but the best way to see how much it matters is the home teams record against the spread. The only info I could find was a 2014 article http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/03/home-teams-have-fared-well-since-start-of-thursday-night-tv-package-in-06/ that says the home team covers 55.6% of the time (48.1% for other games) at the time the article was written so there is some credence to the theory that home teams have more than an advantage on Thursday than Sat./Sun..

Unless the spread has that already built in, which it should, so you got a bit of a causality thing happening looking at just the spread.

I like the idea of using the spread, but would look for spreads that favored the home team more than a standard prime time game.

23 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

LOL, I said to my wife last night "If the Bills lose, it just proves the NFL is fixed"...then I explained about the events of this week, the team represents NYC, etc...she just looked at me like :huh: and said "ok...enjoy the game". I'm not crazy....right?

Conspiracy theories huh? 

Katrina = Saints Super Bowl

Henry= Astros World Series

Any others? Join in!

NYC media (tv, newspapers, etc) pounded the jets and more specifically, their D Line all week. They were as motivated and fired up as ever and they showed up big time. Unfortunately it was the week that we played them on a big stage in their house

People keep saying both teams had the same time to prepare. That isn't true. The road team has one less day. Even with a short flight, you lose a day of practice. With the mandatory Tuesday off, the Bills had almost no opportunity to practice for the Jets. Mondays are meetings, no practice. Tuesdays are off. Wednesday they had a short window before traveling. Thursday they are in a hotel. Meanwhile the Jets have all of Wednesday to practice and part of Thursday. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People keep saying both teams had the same time to prepare. That isn't true. The road team has one less day. Even with a short flight, you lose a day of practice. With the mandatory Tuesday off, the Bills had almost no opportunity to practice for the Jets. Mondays are meetings, no practice. Tuesdays are off. Wednesday they had a short window before traveling. Thursday they are in a hotel. Meanwhile the Jets have all of Wednesday to practice and part of Thursday. 

I see what you are saying, but the main reason the Bills got beat was because they got dominated in the trenches. Seemed like Jets won every single one on one match up.

Even though what you are saying is correct, there is no excuse to be losing 34-7 in the 4th quarter against a supposedly inferior opponent

On 11/2/2017 at 11:28 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Curious what road teams records are on Thursday in comparison to all other games. Still no excuse for the lack of focus.

This year teams road teams are 5-4 on TNF so it dispels the myth that they favor the home team.

No matter what way some folks spin it what happened to the Bills last week matters big time and is serious cause for concern going forward.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:06 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

just dove on the ground 10 times.

Ill let you know how it goes in 4 days.

I dove 10 times 4 days ago, still a little sore, explains why the Bills lost to the Jests!  Might feel a little better on day 5, I'll keep everyone posted...

On 11/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, Nervous Guy said:

That sounds too logical to be crazy...

No excuses, they beat our butts..  It was noticeable, however, that Buffalo had zero intensity on D or O.  They tried to create fake intensity and it showed by a couple late hits...  I thought NY was intense from the start.  They really roughed up Tyrod and it was borderline dirty, but they played it right to the border.  I saw a couple times a defender would rake Tyrod over the head with an extra knee shot or elbow to the facemask....stuff that was unnecessary but the refs didn't think it was late enough to call penalties i guess.  The Jets really roughed us up badly on both sides.  I expect the Bills to be way more intense than NO on Sunday.  Hopefully they channel that energy into a W and not losses like they did in the Rex era.