What role did Marrone play in this trade?

The funny thing is Coughlin is probably the most strict personality the NFL has seen in recent years. Dareus' leash is likely shorter than it was in Buffalo. The fact they only gave up a 6th to get him means he could be kicking rocks even by year's end.

I think you would decide who really gets credit/blame for this trade in the same way most here tend to judge Bills trades (or draft picks). Any move you deem to be positive belongs to the guy in management you like the most. And every bad move you credit to the guy you dislike the most.

So, if you think this is a bad move for Jax, you probably say "That's a Marrone move!' If Dareus ends up playing great for Jax, and makes a real difference, you later change this to "Coughlin's a genius! Despite Marrone they are doing well."

Easy, see?

I think you would decide who really gets credit/blame for this trade in the same way most here tend to judge Bills trades (or draft picks). Any move you deem to be positive belongs to the guy in management you like the most. And every bad move you credit to the guy you dislike the most.

So, if you think this is a bad move for Jax, you probably say "That's a Marrone move!' If Dareus ends up playing great for Jax, and makes a real difference, you later change this to "Coughlin's a genius! Despite Marrone they are doing well."

Easy, see?

That's a fair point. I guess the question is whether Marrone brought out the best in Dareus when he was coach, or if he just happened to be around.

My question is the clauses which were put in by Jim Overdorf which allowed him not to pay back money after drug tests, are they still in? I think when you absorb contract you absorb all clauses.

Pretty sure you absorb all clauses. A bunch of us expect a reworked contract either soon or after the season.

I cannot stand Doug Marrone. If Dareus plays at a high level for him, it will make it even worse. It also will not reflect well on the process.

I see where your coming from, But even if he plays at a high level he is just meeting expectations of his contract. So yeah he plays well but yeah they are paying him like a top 5 DT.

Too much risk, let it play out and I think we will all be happy he is gone and not our problem.

The funny thing is Coughlin is probably the most strict personality the NFL has seen in recent years. Dareus' leash is likely shorter than it was in Buffalo. The fact they only gave up a 6th to get him means he could be kicking rocks even by year's end.

Isn this the part where someone responds great, and then he will go to the Patriots and become a hall of famer? Edited by Kirby Jackson

I cannot stand Doug Marrone. If Dareus plays at a high level for him, it will make it even worse. It also will not reflect well on the process.

Maybe Marrone was right to opt out.

After witnessing the she-it show Whaley was running, and the draft picks and contracts he was giving away... he saw what was coming..and it wasn’t good.

St Doug no doubt had a role in making this happen. And for all the talk of Dareus being a lockerroom cancer and lazy it's very telling that two known discipline focused guys in Coughlin and Marrone took on Dareus's contract.

Jags have the look of a dark horse SB team and don't be surprised if a Dareus is motivated on a new team closer to home and they make a deep playoff run. The defense is already good enough and with Dareus could transform into a 2000 Ravens type of squad that can win it all with average to poor QB play.

Interested to hear opinions on this. Personally, I didn't think Dareus and Marrone meshed, but he had to have played a big part.

Great question. Marrone didn't mesh with most of the players, especially on the D side. Those guys loved playing for Schwartz though. I hope the DC in Jax can get the same out of Dareus.

I have a gut feeling the bills were doing everything they could to keep Dareus healthy for a trade. Marcell might be a beast for the jags because he's gonna get alot more playing time.

I'm sure he'll have something to prove, at least early on.

And if St. Doug and his staff keep him motivated he's going to look very good on a defense already loaded with talent at just about every position.

I think they see this as a rental situation. He'll likely play motivated for the rest of this season where they have a real chance to win their division. If/when he goes back to being Darius they'll cut him.

Question for the cap experts. I know the partial cap relief this gets us but if Jacksonville cuts him in a year or two do they suffer the same cap hits we would have? If they do I think it is a pretty dumb move by them to expect he'll change his stripes for long.

"He played great for me. I can get him to return to form. I challenge McD and Brandon Beane to an IQ test. I have the best words."

Easy, see?

I like both these quite a bit.

Then again, I like both these posters/board members quite a bit, so I blame them for me liking their responses.

Definitely see them winning the AFC South, they might even get a 1st round bye.

St Doug is well on his way to turning around a 3rd straight sports franchise. Too bad he left or we would have definitely been in the playoffs by now.

Ya man. Fins-Jags super bowl this year. Those two teams are so good that the NFC is just going to forgo it's spot in the final game.