Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been critical of Dareus for what seems like a lifetime now...I always hoped for the best...But when he showed up fat at his first camp, and never even sniffed the 320 he was at the Combine again...He pretty much lost me a while ago...

It's ultra rare for anyone to waste this much potential because few have that much potential...But the kid never grew up...I think the fact that the best they could get for him was a 6th says it all about what he has become...I have watched him ever-so-closely these past two seasons, and outside of the few downs when he decides to bring it, he's pretty much been JAG...

What will always sting is...Well...AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Tyron Smith...Ugh... B-)

exactly man.. hes JAG. With a huge contract. I can see Pegula being fed up with paying this bum. Cya!

Do you trust Dareus to play next season?

He is a bowl and bag of Doritos away from a long suspension.

Thats irrelevant IMO. The cost/benefit dictated that you had to keep him through next year. You basically let him walk for Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space. Thats not worth the risk.

I feel utterly embarrassed as a fan by this trade.

Jacksonville fans have to be ecstatic.

This is a ridiculous trade...it hurts.

A 6th round pick? For Dareus?

we also got cap space. We could sign 3 guys that were playing at Marcels level. However, hopefully we spread it around to a few positions.

I feel utterly embarrassed as a fan by this trade.

Jacksonville fans have to be ecstatic.

This is a ridiculous trade...it hurts.

A 6th round pick? For Dareus?

Maybe they could have got a 5th if......

Dareus wasnt a puff away from a long term suspension?

If Dareus hadnt drag raced?

If Daerus hadnt been arrested in Alabama?

If Dareus hadnt said he was going to rehab and then was spotted out in a club later that same night?

If Dareus wasnt late for a damned road game and was sent home?

If Dareus gave two ***** while he was on and off the field?

Nah....

Its Beanes, McDermotts and the Bills fault.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

You are understanding it right. Its peanuts.

OK, but that changes the question, doesn't it? Isn't the decision to be made simply are we better off with Dareus, or with ~$5 million cap space this year, $2 million next, a 6th round pick, and no further obligation? I don't see how the dead cap number is relevant.

@JasonLaCanfora

For all the praise of Jags defense, and it's vastly improved, their Run defense stinks and allow brutal 5.67/rush on 1st down. Hence Dareus

With their front, Dareus isn't an everydown guy, but he'll be fixture on 1st Down. Jags allowed NFL worst 36 runs of 6yds or more on 1st D

You pay a DT that kind of money, he better damn well be a 3 down player.

@WGR550

Beane- Jacksonville reached out to us today, thought about it, talked it through, thought it was a good move for the Bills and for Marcell

@JaySkurski

Beane says it was "very disappointing," but "not a breaking point" when the #Bills sent Dareus home from Baltimore in the preseason.

@MatthewFairburn

Brandon Beane admits Marcell Dareus was a question mark coming in. He and Sean McDermott had him "flagged" because of salary and suspension.

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills GM Brandon Beane: I was not calling people about Dareus as the trade deadline approached. Jacksonville reached out to us.

Beane leads the league in trading players he was not shopping.

Like that makes any diffence when you screw up a trades like he does.

Edited by cba fan

I'm not sure why they HAD to trade him this year. Aren't we on the hook for his contract this year either way? I'm no salary cap expert but how does trading him now vs in the offseason help?

It gets a cancer out of the locker room.

Thats irrelevant IMO. The cost/benefit dictated that you had to keep him through next year. You basically let him walk for Tanner Vallejo and $2M in cap space. Thats not worth the risk.

And that nails it. You have to hit a home run with what you gained to even get mediocre dareus quality of play and have no chance at the elite dareus play.

Essentially youve accepted all the downside and shipped out all the upside

Edited by NoSaint

And that nails it. You have to hit a homer in with what you gained to even get mediocre dareus quality of play and have no chance at the elite dareus play.

Essentially youve accepted all the downside and shipped out all the upside

I dunno, I just can't get behind this. Culture is a real thing. It sends a message when a guy like Dareus is your highest-paid player and not doing squat. And I think if you kept him around you'd always be waiting for the next problem to pop up.

He actually looked pretty good against Tampa. He was consistently double-teamed, and if not beating it then he was at least soaking up blockers and holding the line of scrimmage.

He looked pretty good in the last five minutes. He was a tub of goo for the first 45.

OK, but that changes the question, doesn't it? Isn't the decision to be made simply are we better off with Dareus, or with ~$5 million cap space this year, $2 million next, a 6th round pick, and no further obligation? I don't see how the dead cap number is relevant.

Because you arent getting anywhere near the production that he is capable of for $2m in cap space.

Salary cap space is an asset. Welcome to the NFL where mediocre players depreciate in value faster than cars.

John Idzik says hello.

Can't believe they promoted that idea. ;)

So Billsy.

Fair question: does Beane watch the games?

Billy or Brandon? Because in Moneyball Billy doesn't watch all the games. Good opportunity for treadmill time.

This just in from ESPN:

"The Bills will receive a 2018 sixth-round pick from Jacksonville. A source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the selection can become a fifth-round pick based on Dareus' performance."

So it COULD be a 5th round pick...