Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste though thinking of who was taken after this guy in that draft. My god do we ever take the right players? Thank god we have all these picks now though.......

Well, tre White looks pretty damned good, h7h?

I see both sides.

If he doesnt fit the culture, hes barely playing, take the hit when the season is halfway done, eat the 14 mil next year (which isnt actually paid) and get out of it rather than have the cancer grow.

On the other side, this guy was a 3rd round pick. It motivated, hes a major contributor and was a bit piece of the franchise. A coach is supposed to gain buy in and it seems we are just sink or swim. He is worth more than a 6th, but it also another suspension away from 10 games.

Either way, we know what hes capable of and we arent saving much this year or next to get rid of him. But if we are about long term, then it was good to happen like this.

those that despised him and his money, he's gone, who cares what they got.

to answer your question in terms of the trade, hell no from a talent perspective. you could obviously see he wasn't buying in and they got what they could based not on his talent, but unfortunate reputation. the kid was a beast when on all cylinders.

later big stuff

But if what you say, that they got what they could get, isnt as good as Dareus, why make the trade?

They are going to eat a ton of dead cap and only save $7m over 2 years, surely just paying him and then dropping him is better than the 6th round pick.

I will throw out that I don't think the current product on the field got any worse today. The current coaching did not value him and were using him as a depth player. Cut your losses -- don't be tied to where someone was drafted -- that thinking is not a rebuild mode. Dareus was and is an underperforming asset -- you can't base decisions on him turning it around and reaching his massive potential you have to base it on what he has done.

Very well said, and an astute GM move. I was an MD fan, one of my favs on the team... but once you have determined that a player is a bad fit and not going to be the answer, it's best to cut your losses and move on. Belichick 101.

it is possible that they wanted him out of the locker room

I think that's pretty obvious, huh?

not sure what is confusing... I was saying that its one reason he was hard to trade and they got so little in return

I'm saying there's only 10 games left in the season. The suspension thing is a risk, not doubting that for a second, but if you felt that strongly about the suspension possibility than we should have done this before the year began.

Again, I think this was a lose-lose situation for Beane, but for a 6th I'd have just taken the risk and held on to Dareus as DT depth as we make a run.

I'm amazed how so many in this thread have no clue how the business of football works.

You don't just throw away assets like this FO does. The lack of return is the big problem.

Culture is very important. But it's on the coaching staff to get as much as possible out of their players. And I don't think this staff did, by a long shot.

Rookie mistakes by McD and Beane to just pull the plug for less than nothing....

But why get rid of him this year at all? Why not after the season?

Guessing that they felt his negatives in the locker room outweighed his so-so contribution on the field to this point. I've worked with malcontents before, sometimes it's such a positive to be rid of them that the cost doesn't matter.

Very surprised any team was willing to take his monster contract. Multiple off the field issues, poor play for years now, he's always had motivation issues, etc.

I thought we were stuck with him for at least one more season due to the dead cap hit, but I suppose this regime views that as a sunk cost and just wanted to move on.

Why? It will be cheap if they need to cut him...all the dead space is taken on by the Bills

i didn't get to hear it, what did he essentially say Beast?

He was saying, basically, how players are playing hard for each other...brought up Poyer, Hyde, etc....

Seems very happy to be in Buffalo.

Those are the type of players the Bills are trying to bring in. Who can argue with that?

I think that's pretty obvious, huh?

I'm saying there's only 10 games left in the season. The suspension thing is a risk, not doubting that for a second, but if you felt that strongly about the suspension possibility than we should have done this before the year began.

Again, I think this was a lose-lose situation for Beane, but for a 6th I'd have just taken the risk and held on to Dareus as DT depth as we make a run.

from all accounts i think we have tried

You don't just throw away assets like this FO does. The lack of return is the big problem.

Culture is very important. But it's on the coaching staff to get as much as possible out of their players. And I don't think this staff did, by a long shot.

Rookie mistakes by McD and Beane to just pull the plug for less than nothing....

Right. McD and Beane. The two guys who took a team who everyone thought was tanking to a possible 5-2 start after Sunday.