Week 1 Coaching Review

BillsFan130

What did you guys think of Mcdermott, Dennison and Frazier today?

For me, i thought we were a little too conservative on offence and defence. Maybe because we were playing an inferior opponent?

I really did not like the run, run, pass two possessions in a row in the 4th quarter. I really hope they only did that because they did not respect the Jets offence, because if you do that against a good offence, you are going to get burned most of the time.

Also would have liked to see more blitzes on the defensive side of the ball. Seemed pretty vanilla to me, and once again, I think a good QB picks that defence apart a lot easier. In saying that, can't argue too much with the end result.

Dennison did pretty well with his overall play calling. Would have liked to see a bit more play action on early downs especially in the 2nd half, but overall I think he did a pretty nice job.

Overall, some positive points to take away, but also hope they are a little more aggressive in the future.

I think they did what they needed to for them to win. They took what the Jets gave them. There was no reason to go deep or anything else. We moved the ball at will for the most part. McDermott said as much in the post game

But yes, if this is the overall plan, we will be in trouble against other teams.

I thought the bills tried running too much honestly. Would've liked to see a more aggressive passing game. However, could be just the plan vs the jets. Time will tell

I agree with the above that there was no need for aggressive calls, but I did think at the end when we were just running the clock out we should have kept shady off the field.

I thought the play calling could have used some work. More playaction on first or second down. They ran on first down ... and second down for that matter quite a bit. I understand we are a better running team than passing team, but the calls still need to mix it up.

I absolutely loved the TD call when we were near the goal line and Holmes sneaked down from right to left for the TD pass at the goal line. I thought that play was excellently designed and perfectly executed.

I also thought the defense played really well, but could have been a bit more aggressive at times.

Edited by Scott7975

I liked the ball control against a crap team. They did what they were supposed to do.

My favorite part was having 3 time outs with under a minute left in the first half.

And I really, really liked the postgame comments he made to the team.

I thought the bills tried running too much honestly. Would've liked to see a more aggressive passing game. However, could be just the plan vs the jets. Time will tell

We had our WRs against their DBs...two unknowns. It was easier to go with the Known..that is run the ball down the Jets throat...

I think the reason it appeared there was no pass rush was because McCown was dumping quick passes...Look at this stats!

Very promising start. A few criticisms:

1) on O, I thought our first down running plays were way too predictable and ineffective.

2) on D, I think we needed to bring more pressure, especially on third down.

Bills: 190 yards rushing

Jets: 28% 3rd down efficiency.

We won, so thats most important. But if I had a complaint its that we went conservative late in the game, playing to not lose, vs playing to win.

If there's ever a time to just not beat yourself it would be playing a team like the jets though. Most teams I'd advise against that but there are a handful that are going to rely on you beating yourself to steal their random couple of wins. Once up today a conservative plan was probably for the best.

We won, so thats most important. But if I had a complaint its that we went conservative late in the game, playing to not lose, vs playing to win.

100 percent agree. Just reminded me of the Jauron days. I have a bad feeling the bills are going to lose a few heartbreaks this year because they will be too conservative late in the game

I like the concept on defense: get pressure with the front 4 and don't give up big plays. It's much harder to dink and dunk for scores. The tackling and run defense are definite strengths. Against Carolina, making Newton stay in the pocket and throw into tight windows is the right gameplan.

There were hints of creative playcalling in the red zone, but ultimately Buffalo should be feeding McCoy as often as they can. Against the Jets, exactly the right thing to do is make McCown win that one. They got conservative in the 4th, but the Jets are so bad that a lead more than one score is a game in hand against that team. Against a better team they do need to try and score more.

I think it is nitpicking to obsess over WR targets. Clay and McCoy are the best players and saw the ball the most. I would like to see a WR win a matchup outside more often, though.

If anything, I would like to see a couple screens to get McCoy the ball in space, but the o-line must not have that ability.

100 percent agree. Just reminded me of the Jauron days. I have a bad feeling the bills are going to lose a few heartbreaks this year because they will be too conservative late in the game

It'll be interesting to see if he learned anything from the "riverboat Ron" transition and how being willing to be aggressive saved his job

Too early to know

the playing not to lose saying makes no sense, and implies being conservative is a bad idea. Up by two scores against an inept offense with less tha n6 minutes to go, conservative is the way to go. See: the results

The mindset of many Bills fans is reflected by Mike Schopp. He says all the time that if he was running a team and didn't know how good his QB was, he would throw the ball 40 times. No matter what. Regardless of opponent or strength of the running game, keep passing the ball just because. It's a ludicrous mindset but it's shared by many people. That is why Mike Schopp is on the radio and McDermott has slowly earned his way to an NFL head coaching gig.

Hard to complain about the play calling - for the most part, it worked. The Bills were in control of the game on both sides of the ball.

Game management was good. Plays got in efficiently, no dumb penalties.

With less than 4 minutes to go, I was hoping they'd take Shady out of the game. No need to risk him at that point. Other than that, I'm happy with the coaching staff's performance.

the playing not to lose saying makes no sense, and implies being conservative is a bad idea. Up by two scores against an inept offense with less tha n6 minutes to go, conservative is the way to go. See: the results

There was roughly 10 minutes to go when he went conservative. And I did mention that I hope he just did this because it was Jets. Playing too conservative generally does not end well against any respectable team, so I guess we will see if he switches the approach against a better team

It'll be interesting to see if he learned anything from the "riverboat Ron" transition and how being willing to be aggressive saved his job

Too early to know

Yes, good point. We will find out very soon

Edited by billsfan11

I'm wondering why the INT return in which the player was clearly not "down by contact" was not challenge-able?

Very difficult to criticize a staff coaching their first game together, with so much change on both sides of the ball, and coming away with a pretty easy (if somewhat ugly) win. While the Jets stink offensively their defense is formidable and the Bills were still able to generate significant offense. Only 6 penalties for 50 yards -- that's a welcome change.

I'm wondering why the INT return in which the player was clearly not "down by contact" was not challenge-able?

Very difficult to criticize a staff coaching their first game together, with so much change on both sides of the ball, and coming away with a pretty easy (if somewhat ugly) win. While the Jets stink offensively their defense is formidable and the Bills were still able to generate significant offense. Only 6 penalties for 50 yards -- that's a welcome change.

After reviewing the play, i think he was down by contact. When Wood tackled him, his knee was still on the ground.