Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

the patriots have a track record of sustained success the likes of which is rarely seen in sports. the bills have a track record of getting their tongue stuck to the same light post year after year after year.

Not the point, though. It's a team that knows they aren't re-signing a player that will command big money in free agency and getting something for that player instead of just losing them the following year. This difference is the Patriots didn't need Jones and we probably needed Sammy.

I'm sick to my stomach. This just confirms my biggest fear about handing the organization to young guys that are the "smartest guys in the room." It has that McDaniels feel to me at the moment. These are terrible trades.

We can't judge the trades yet.

We'll judge them in two years once we've seen who the picks acquire. If those picks don't work out, then we'll be looking for another new coach at the end of the 2018 season.

I'm sick to my stomach. This just confirms my biggest fear about handing the organization to young guys that are the "smartest guys in the room." It has that McDaniels feel to me at the moment. These are terrible trades.

It's like their in a backassward bizzaro world arms race with the Jets.

I would be shocked to see some serious disdain on the part of the players after McDermott doing something like this....

If the players haven't firmly bought into what McDermott is selling, isn't a move like this something that can truly put these players into the "eff this new coach" mindset?

I would be shocked to see some serious disdain on the part of the players after McDermott doing something like this....

If the players haven't firmly bought into what McDermott is selling, isn't a move like this something that can truly put these players into the "eff this new coach" mindset?

Not in preseason, takes at least 10 games to write off a coaching system.

Sooooo.... after 1 preseason game, the Bills decide to throw in the towel. If I were Kyle W, I would p*ssed and probably announce retirement tomorrow. I kind of see trading Sammy when he has SOME value, but Darby? Trading proven players for draft picks (which is a total lottery) is questionable. Maybe they are stocking draft picks to trade up to no. 1 next year. Boys and gals, it will be another 3 years minimum in the wilderness.

I look at it like this - we were probably far apart on contract talks if there was interest at all. That means a franchise tag, or nothing but a comp pick. Comp pick maxes out at the end of the 3rd and we wouldnt get it until 2019. It's maximizing an asset.

Gaines was brought in to allow us to do the darby trade - which brings us a 1year replacement in Matthews, plus a player who may be more likely to sign an extension if he succeeds here.

Hated the trade when i heard it, now I'm warming up to it. I don't think this makes us that much less competitive this year. They must have not been 100% on Sammy's health and were probably 100% he wouldn't be here next year. They are all in on next years draft now. As far as EJ Gaines goes. I'm admittly a Mizzou homer but have him seen him play a lot. He's a good CB. Tall, physical, good ball skills and is a tackling machine. He's bigger than Darby, tackles better but isn't quite as athletic. He's a better fit than Darby for the new scheme. Gaines is a good player.

at least we have the Sabres. LOL

"BREAKING NEWS: Sabres trade Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, Evander Kane, and a 2018 fourth round pick to Montreal for Max Pacioretty and a box of donuts."

At this point, would you even be surprised?

No, because the GM takes the credit/blame

Honestly love the moves. Watkins has 1 foot and is fragile as hell. He is not resigning with us anyway so why not trade him now? You are not getting a 1st for him with his injury history. Gives us more ammo next year.

Darby, whatever he isn't a difference maker.

We are not making the playoffs but it was going to be a long shot with the brutal schedule. This team still has zero depth and the staff isn't hanging on blind hope of trying to squeak into the playoffs only to get manhandled but the real teams.

Get a QB in the draft. That is all that matters, like what they are doing.

Can we try and infer what this says about how OBD feels about Tyrod? That many draft picks one could assume we are prepping for something big next draft. Or am I reading too much into this?

I essentially said this to my son after we both got over the shock of these trades. All of these picks signal to me that they are loading up to be able to grab a top QB prospect next year. If that is indeed the plan, they had better nail that choice or this franchise will be going on 25 years of no playoffs.