Gary Barnidge visited the Bills May 3rd

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably makes the Bills an option again. I will try to get some info. The Bills offer was way low and Jacksonville is where he wanted to be. If he doesn't have offers maybe the Bills look better?

Boldin or Barnidge. Something has to give.

This probably makes the Bills an option again. I will try to get some info. The Bills offer was way low and Jacksonville is where he wanted to be. If he doesn't have offers maybe the Bills look better?

I'm guessing he's got two days to sign and show up. Once camp begins McDermott might slam the door shut and play the hand he's got.

I would think he must need to come down on his expectations money-wise if he thinks the Bills offer was too low. There was a guy from Spotrac on radio that said his market value is vet minimum. I'm sure he thinks he's worth more but NFL teams aren't going to overpay especially if he's not a need, but more of a depth guy like he'd be in Buffalo. They have no incentive to offer him more than market value if he has no other offers. Edited by YoloinOhio

No I'm saying if they really wanted Boldin/Barnidge they'd pony up.

So f the injuries hit(which they eventually will because it's football) the lack of depth will hurt where these two could be great depth additions.... Same thing with MG.

McDermott is valuing the cap over depth. That's fine if he's ok with a 6, 7, 8 win season. But it would be beneficial for McDermott to get off to a good start here and end the drought right away.

Yep......first impression is critical for McDermott, IMO.

Veteran team.........lot's of highly paid players at the ends of their careers on the Bills roster and despite what the media thinks they are expecting better than last year........because they blamed Rex for much of their failure.

Mike Gillislee, Arny Garbidge and Anquan Boldin wouldn't make me think SB but I'd feel a lot better about second place in the division and a potential wildcard(for the first time this century).

Yep......first impression is critical for McDermott, IMO.

Veteran team.........lot's of highly paid players at the ends of their careers on the Bills roster and despite what the media thinks they are expecting better than last year........because they blamed Rex for much of their failure.

Mike Gillislee, Arny Garbidge and Anquan Boldin wouldn't make me think SB but I'd feel a lot better about second place in the division and a potential wildcard(for the first time this century).

Thanks hero

Thanks hero

I just want McDermott to work out here.......seen too many of these never-won-anythings think they get a free pass in year one as Bills coach...........only to find out that their message falls on deaf ears once they don't prove to be better than the last guy.

They got it right by getting rid of Ryan. The offense returns basically intact, if not better. The defense will improve because of the change back to the 4-3. Next year they have two first round picks, lots of cap space, and can roll the $13 million from this year into that. This year is a feeling out year. Next year is when they really go for it.

Exactly my point.

They are essentially saying !@#$ it, we would rather go with what we have then use the 13 million in cap space available for some pretty solid depth players.

If the rash of injuries occur and the team goes 6-10 McDermott will be under fire going into year 2 with only himself to blame.

And I agree. My impression of McDermott and the moves made or lack there of isn't a good one.

Still trying to figure out the mantra that went around here in the offseason that the Bills "finally got it right with McDermott/Beane". Based on what exactly?

Not resigning their own players and then replacing them(or not even doing that in the case of MG)with worse, cheaper options in the draft?

These new guys are brilliant.

My opinion - Beane and McD want to build their own team. They let every decent FA leave. They kept Tyrod, at a discount, because they didn't want to make it that obvious and there's enough season ticket-buying Bills fans who really think he's still the answer. It's a thinly veiled tank and, frankly, I think it's about time.

I have faith in Beane and McD for the long term. And I think they're smart enough to look at this team, their division and their schedule to realize there's not a snowball's chance in hell at making the playoffs.

So why keep/bring guys in that will help us get to 7-8 wins again? That's dumb. The same stupidity we've been mired in for almost 20 years.

So I agree ... they are brilliant.

We should be rooting for two things. A crappy Chiefs season and an even crappier Bills one.

Time to rebuild the right way, at last.

My opinion - Beane and McD want to build their own team. They let every decent FA leave. They kept Tyrod, at a discount, because they didn't want to make it that obvious and there's enough season ticket-buying Bills fans who really think he's still the answer. It's a thinly veiled tank and, frankly, I think it's about time.

I have faith in Beane and McD for the long term. And I think they're smart enough to look at this team, their division and their schedule to realize there's not a snowball's chance in hell at making the playoffs.

So why keep/bring guys in that will help us get to 7-8 wins again? That's dumb. The same stupidity we've been mired in for almost 20 years.

So I agree ... they are brilliant.

We should be rooting for two things. A crappy Chiefs season and an even crappier Bills one.

Time to rebuild the right way, at last.

They will get to 7-8 wins with what they have. If they wanted to tank Tyrod, Shady would be out the door. They are not trying to tank. They are trying to win, but do it with an eye toward the future. I don't agree with them not signing Maclin or Boldin or Barnidge. However, rolling over 13 million next season won't be a bad look if they need to pay Sammy, Tyrod or whomever.

I'm all for hoping the Chiefs belly up. How you can root for the Bills to have a bad season is beyond me. Why would you even bother to watch?

No I'm saying if they really wanted Boldin/Barnidge they'd pony up.

So f the injuries hit(which they eventually will because it's football) the lack of depth will hurt where these two could be great depth additions.... Same thing with MG.

McDermott is valuing the cap over depth. That's fine if he's ok with a 6, 7, 8 win season. But it would be beneficial for McDermott to get off to a good start here and end the drought right away.

So, basically, if they really wanted them they'd overpay and give them whatever it took, value be damned?

Overpaying older free agent players is not a very good way to build a team IMO. Making smart/savvy vet signings is a much better strategy (which appears to be what they're trying to do IMO).

Yeah, we have a little bit of cap space, but we are a middle of the road team. We should not be maxed out against the cap.

It's likely a transition year anyway. There is zero reason to be right up against the cap. Plus cap space rolls over. I'm sure Beane and McDermott want the cap space to have some freedom to build the team they want.

I don't blame them for not going all in and maxing out their cap space in their very first year with the team.

Exactly my point.

They are essentially saying !@#$ it, we would rather go with what we have then use the 13 million in cap space available for some pretty solid depth players.

If the rash of injuries occur and the team goes 6-10 McDermott will be under fire going into year 2 with only himself to blame.

And I agree. My impression of McDermott and the moves made or lack there of isn't a good one.

Still trying to figure out the mantra that went around here in the offseason that the Bills "finally got it right with McDermott/Beane". Based on what exactly?

Not resigning their own players and then replacing them(or not even doing that in the case of MG)with worse, cheaper options in the draft?

These new guys are brilliant.

It's what tends to happen when you're in serious cap trouble, and we were.

We've climbed out of the worst of it, but it meant not signing a lot of guys and not rejiggering contracts to push the problems down the road.

I don't think people are going to be much on McDermott's case if we suck this year. It's what is supposed to happen. Look at Vegas and their opinion about what people think about the Bills. Look at the pundits outside Buffalo. There's a real consensus that we're going to be bad. It's not like it will surprise people. It's the expectation and it's a common expectation for a new regime coming to a team that went 7-9 and didn't have a very impressive draft position to bring in quick impact players to help.

They could go 6-10 without a rash of injuries, 6-10 or close.

It won't be McDermott's fault, not in the first year. Especially now that players are hungry to sign for cheap and he's bringing in a few of those types, like Rambo.

They will get to 7-8 wins with what they have. If they wanted to tank Tyrod, Shady would be out the door. They are not trying to tank. They are trying to win, but do it with an eye toward the future. I don't agree with them not signing Maclin or Boldin or Barnidge. However, rolling over 13 million next season won't be a bad look if they need to pay Sammy, Tyrod or whomever.

I'm all for hoping the Chiefs belly up. How you can root for the Bills to have a bad season is beyond me. Why would you even bother to watch?

Agreed, they're not tanking but they're also not selling out to win now. I'd rather have seen them rebuild, but they kept Tyrod, Kyle Williams and a few others that make it very clear, but they didn't go overboard the way they could have to hurt their long-term chances.

Edited by Thurman#1

I just want McDermott to work out here.......seen too many of these never-won-anythings think they get a free pass in year one as Bills coach...........only to find out that their message falls on deaf ears once they don't prove to be better than the last guy.

This is perhaps the most prescient comment in this entire thread.

Based upon what I've seen and heard, McD doesn't think he has a free pass. Beane's and McD's recent comments about the drought give the impression they want to end it as quickly as they can.

Fact -- this team averaged 7.5 wins over the past four seasons with crap coaching. In my opinion the only notable loss is Gilmore. There's enough talent on the roster to win 10 games. The key to ending the drought is having a coaching staff that can game plan, adjust on Sunday, and instill a culture of working hard to earn your success. There is a lot of the right kind of experience on this Bills coaching staff.

No, there isn't a "free pass" this year, but the organization has set itself up very nicely for 2018 and beyond. I don't need to see them overpay for free agents this season to feel good about the direction of the franchise.

They will have plenty of cap room the next couple years.... Without the $13 million they are rolling over.

Serious cap trouble? They were slightly just below the cap before making a few moves to give them more space. Not serious cap trouble by any means.

A one year contract to solid veteran guys gets you in cap trouble how?

Who cares what Vegas thinks. The Bills could absolutely be a 10 win team if things break and the injuries down kill them, but adding some solid veteran guys and having more depth would only help, because the injuries are bound to happen.

And disagree. Fans will be on McDermott if the team wins 6 games.

Do you really think fans will be all over mcd if the season is flat? I'm not expecting too much with a first year coach. There's always a few who will B word the loudest if the season don't turn out the way they liked, but I think unless he totally bumbles his way through the season, mcd shouldn't have to worry. I'm willing to bet the pegulas have the same approach.

This is perhaps the most prescient comment in this entire thread.

Based upon what I've seen and heard, McD doesn't think he has a free pass. Beane's and McD's recent comments about the drought give the impression they want to end it as quickly as they can.

Fact -- this team averaged 7.5 wins over the past four seasons with crap coaching. In my opinion the only notable loss is Gilmore. There's enough talent on the roster to win 10 games. The key to ending the drought is having a coaching staff that can game plan, adjust on Sunday, and instill a culture of working hard to earn your success. There is a lot of the right kind of experience on this Bills coaching staff.

No, there isn't a "free pass" this year, but the organization has set itself up very nicely for 2018 and beyond. I don't need to see them overpay for free agents this season to feel good about the direction of the franchise.

Wait, i thought the plan was to tank this year...it's what all successful franchises do, and it's the only proven way to land a franchise QB. Amirite?

I was simply saying they are letting solid depth guys go/turning them away because they don't want to pony up.

I'd imagine the Bills have a set proximity to a number that they won't budge on. If these guys want above that, should they just say wait, you're a solid depth guy, sure here's more money? I'd rather take the approach of not overpaying for an older aging vet who can provide depth but is looking to capitalize on as much guaranteed money they can at this point in their career.

Everyone seems to think coaching was the major issue with this team last year. The thought is the subtraction of Rex and co and addition of McDermott should be good for a couple more wins.

A 6 win season and there is no question fans will be bitching about McDermott. No way will he lose his job, but he will be under pressure in year two to get it going fast out the gate. A good first year to his tenure would be extremely beneficial. Simply having the mindset of "we are building for the future" gets old very quickly when that future never comes.

I was simply saying they are letting solid depth guys go/turning them away because they don't want to pony up. It could very easily bite them in the ass when the injuries hit and a potential drought ending season goes down the drain because of the lack of depth.

I agree. There's no reason to assume that the Bills are a bad team and that anything beyond 7 wins is overachieving. The only teams on our schedule you could definitively say are better than us are the Pats, Raiders, and Falcons. That's 4 total games. The remaining 12 includes 2 free wins against the Jets and 10 very winnable games besides that. If we don't win a lot of games - unless Tyrod regresses or some major injury hits - the coaches will be to blame.

The Bills should be doing everything they can to get to the playoffs this season. If it's about building for the future, why did we trade up in the draft twice? I was fine letting Gillislee go with the understanding that cap money would be used on something more important. But now we've let Maclin and Boldin and Barnisge go with no deal. I mean really what could Boldin be asking for? How much cap space do we need to roll over? I don't understand the strategy.

Edited by HappyDays

I will be disappointed to say the least if we don't add another Safety and either Boldin or Barnidge. To me it would be a waste of a solid team this year not to give them a chance to Compete. And a couple of solid additions will really help. I personally feel Boldin would really help TT and the offense. He will be a positive role model and is right out of central casting of the type of quality people that McDermott says he's looking for. Kinda like Leon Hall too. Could be a sneaky add that can play both corner and safety.

One thing is for certain -- everyone is an armchair GM and knows precisely what it takes to get the Bills back to the playoffs. In this particular offseason, it appears those pieces are Gary freaking Barnidge, a backup RB, and 147-year-old Anquan Boldin.

One thing is for certain -- everyone is an armchair GM and knows precisely what it takes to get the Bills back to the playoffs. In this particular offseason, it appears those pieces are Gary freaking Barnidge, a backup RB, and 147-year-old Anquan Boldin.

I expect a lot of close games this year. Close games can turn on players like that. I personally don't see the defense getting too much better this year. A new scheme and defensive coaches with middling success over their careers. I think the offense will need to carry us through some games. Letting Gillislee go means the rush game likely will take a step back, and it was probably going to anyways. We haven't improved the passing offense. We lost Woods and drafted Zay which is going to be a lateral move at best. Barnidge or Boldin or Maclin - in that order - could have been important for the passing offense. What do we have to lose signing Boldin? I can understand letting Maclin go, too expensive. But Boldin? Spend the couple million you wouldn't spend on Gillislee and move on.

Exactly my point.

These new guys are brilliant. 👍🏻

Can't they roll over the $13MM into next year? Is there are use-it-or-lose-it rule with the cap?

Can't they roll over the $13MM into next year? Is there are use-it-or-lose-it rule with the cap?

Yes, rollover is allowed, which makes the decision to "just spend the money on [player x]" a more complicated one. If the Bills don't view these guys as significant difference makers in 2017 and feel the money will be better used next season, I don't have a problem with it. Like I said up thread, the keys to the playoffs this season aren't the guys being mentioned.

They will have plenty of cap room the next couple years.... Without the $13 million they are rolling over.

Serious cap trouble? They were slightly just below the cap before making a few moves to give them more space. Not serious cap trouble by any means.

A one year contract to solid veteran guys gets you in cap trouble how?

Who cares what Vegas thinks. The Bills could absolutely be a 10 win team if things break and the injuries down kill them, but adding some solid veteran guys and having more depth would only help, because the injuries are bound to happen.

And disagree. Fans will be on McDermott if the team wins 6 games.

Do they really have the cap room next year? Spotrac said $24M and OverThe Cap said roughly $30M (not sure which is right).

If they want to re-sign or tag Sammy (assuming he has a good year) that likely eats up something like $13 - $15M of that space (depending on. The tag or long term deal, etc).

If they want to re-sign Eric Wood that eats up another good chunk of that space, (maybe $5 - $7M, spotrac has his value projected at $7M) and that's only 2 players. That doesn't take into account any improvements they may want to make to the team in their 2nd year.

Do they really have the cap room next year? Spotrac said $24M and OverThe Cap said roughly $30M (not sure which is right).

If they want to re-sign or tag Sammy (assuming he has a good year) that likely eats up something like $13 - $15M of that space (depending on. The tag or long term deal, etc).

If they want to re-sign Eric Wood that eats up another good chunk of that space, (maybe $5 - $7M, spotrac has his value projected at $7M) and that's only 2 players. That doesn't take into account any improvements they may want to make to the team in their 2nd year.

I think when Wood's contract expires he's as good as gone unless we can get him at a low number since we have Groy under contract for this and next year and next year if he fails to develop we can always draft someone in 2018 to start in 2019.

Wood is gone.

I'm guessing this is KWs last year too.

They'll have well over $30 when its all said and done next year with the cap increase.. Without the $13 million.

It's very plausible -- even likely -- that Beane and McD already have a plan for how they intend to spend that money, and they're not going to blow that plan up for a couple of FAs this year who are not the missing pieces to the puzzle. Would they provide depth? Sure. The Bills are clearly only willing to pay a certain amount for depth, and I applaud the fiscal responsibility when they almost certainly have bigger plans for that money down the road.

Oh c'mon. You put out a scenario that you'd feel better about being a potential playoff team with a player that can't be on the team in MG - then play hopeful?

Let's see how things play out before giving up on the team because of a back up running back went elsewhere.

It's reasonable to think with Tyrod's play last year and a real good defense - we'd have a shot at the post season. You don't have to love Tyrod to know what has to happen.

Oh c'mon. You put out a scenario that you'd feel better about being a potential playoff team with a player that can't be on the team in MG - then play hopeful?

Let's see how things play out before giving up on the team because of a back up running back went elsewhere.

It's reasonable to think with Tyrod's play last year and a real good defense - we'd have a shot at the post season. You don't have to love Tyrod to know what has to happen.

They lost more than MG........Gilmore, Woods, Zach Brown, Kujo........these guys were all big contributors and/or investments........and they used their entire draft to crap-shoot for replacements for productive NFL players.

Not to improve.......just to spackle over areas formerly of relative strength.

Fortunately the cupboard wasn't bare.....when you open it up the stuff in the front looks pretty decent still.........but it's to the point where there appears to be no depth on this team.

And we won't need to wait until September to find out if they've made the right calls passing on good depth/1A options to save a few bucks because it will manifest itself in camp when the hammy's, ACL's and achilles start poppin'.

I expect the Bills to have NO PROBLEM cutting down this roster and the last couple preseason games are going to be tough without being able to fill spots with other teams cuts..........Boobie and FJax might get the call yet! :lol: