17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see Jim Monos and Rob Hanrahan leave.

As echoed by others, it's a damn shame that some families have to suffer for the sins of others. I hope at least some of them aren't out of work for long.

You are right. Also Fisher was a great scout and seem like a solid person. I'm sure those guys will find jobs soon. Edited by wppete

Bills have highest rated draft "A" and the next day fire entire scouting staff. Incredible and ironic.

Just remember trading away the ship for a wide receiver ( they now won't pick up option on) and drafting a QB from Florida who never learned to think in four years.

As are many of his posts. Nothing new. Classless for sure

Had Pegula not hired Rex, Whaley would still have a job. One horrendous head coach hiring by the owner and Whaleys inability to secure a franchise qb was his demise

I agree with you there. They didn't have expertise in the sport. Went with their gut. It got all wrong.

The blame should be shared between Brandon telling Pegula on how to hire a coach (don't have any preconceived notions, you'll just know when you have the right one) and the Pegula's for hiring Rex instead of letting the GM [Whaley] be the one that hired the coach. Constantly switching coaching schemes and not having the right personnel to run those schemes doomed this team.

That. And the seeds of this began with Russ Brandon. How did this power-sharing arrangement start? When Brandon wanted to keep being the key "guy" in the organization by having Whaley and the other clown Marrone report to him instead of giving that power to Whaley. From then on any coach that comes along will not report to Whaley, and the coach and GM likely have their power struggles when it comes to personnel instead of being on the same page.

Fact is nobody ever agrees on everything even the best of friends. This kind of structure creates power struggles that are counter-productive. Let the GM hire the coach, making sure that they see eye to eye on team direction and talent evaluation. And go from there.

Kirby, 17 years more misses than hits. If they worked normal jobs, they would have been fired long ago

Yeah idk why everyone is so sensative to these firings all of the sudden.

If I failed to do my job well for an extended period of time I would expect to be fired too.

Yeah idk why everyone is so sensative to these firings all of the sudden.

If I failed to do my job well for an extended period of time I would expect to be fired too.

No one ever said that the firings weren't okay. I said celebrating rank and file employees losing their jobs is disgusting. No one high fives their buddies when a factory closes in the Midwest and the jobs sent to Mexico (even if it makes sense for the company). Edited by Kirby Jackson

I have been laid off in the past, with a wife and 3 kids (one a year away from college) at home. Thanks, Kirby, for adding compassion to this thread. We all want is best for this team but it is best to remember that these folks are human beings too.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

This is a dramatic restructuring.
I felt strongly Bills had some fine scouts. especially pro scouts.

right thing to do ? probably.

But this is reset might ask us for even more patience.

stupid Rex

I have been laid off in the past, with a wife and 3 kids (one a year away from college) at home. Thanks, Kirby, for adding compassion to this thread. We all want is best for this team but it is best to remember that these folks are human beings too.

Compassion should always be in play.

did not our beloved Terry weep ?

aint easy making that call.

he knows what they just did.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Perfectly said.

Well, Pegs is finally cleaning house...........good for him.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Not really, Brandon and overdorf are still there. it's more of a "The king is dead! Long live the king!" situation. Same old Bills

buddy of mine was one of these guys. our team is toxic

Sorry for him.

I try to separate the people from the shirts around here, because of what Kirby said. When guys who I think stink get cut, I'm glad, but never because of them personally.

Not really, Brandon and overdorf are still there. it's more of a "The king is dead! Long live the king!" situation. Same old Bills

Overdorf will be gone soon when the new GM is in place.

I dont understand why the pro personnel side got released...those guys uncovered more hidden gems from waiver wire, practice squad pickups, and low budget FA's than any other team in the league...

doesn't make much sense to me...

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

Same is true of players, yet plenty here celebrate guys getting cut for other guys they think are better. It's the nature of fans. They celebrate anything they think will make the team better, even guys getting fired or cut.

Nobody got so angry when Rex was fired and his lower-paid assistant coaches also.

I dont understand why the pro personnel side got released...those guys uncovered more hidden gems from waiver wire, practice squad pickups, and low budget FA's than any other team in the league...

That's a good point, IMHO. Maybe they just wanted to sweep clean and give the new GM the chance to build his own staff. Maybe he could even rehire some of these guys, though that would be unusual, I think.

Edited by Thurman#1

Same is true of players, yet plenty here celebrate guys getting cut for other guys they think are better. It's the nature of fans. They celebrate anything they think will make the team better, even guys getting fired or cut.

Nobody got so angry when Rex was fired and his lower-paid assistant coaches also.

I don't disagree that we should be more sensitive. The big difference is the $. If Rex gets fired his mortgage is fine. The assistant coaches I'm way more sensitive to but even still they are making a few hundred thousand a year. It's not perfect and they move their families around a lot. They know what they are signing up for though. It's like the players, short earning window and you may bounce around. I feel for them too but they can keep food on the table and their kids in school.

This. I am truly sorry to hear so many losing their jobs. We also seemed to do well drafting DB's. Thrown all away with little seeming intelligence to it.

I can only hope Polian or someone who knows how to run a football organization is in the background but I doubt it. McDermott has been given way too much power for a rookie head coach. I hope he can handle it but this all seems incredibly amateurish management and I'm worried the future will be the same as the past until we get a plan and more consistent leadership from the owners.

Edited by GaryPinC

We drafted some good players over the years. The question is what do we get instead. This group seemed to be decidedly average and you hate to see people go.

Although I think with a basic draft chart I could have done better using logic - at least in the first two rounds. That Maybin pick was a crime. We all saw that bust a mile away. We drafted okay after the first couple rounds but I think in general the NFL overrates potential and athleticism and underrates character and intelligence. You end up with players like Darius who only perform at a high level infrequently.

Am I the only one on here that has been contacted to interview?

They contacted me and said I'm the only one on this forum that knows what they are talking about. I doubt any of you scrubs will get a shot ;)

Sad to see Jim Monos and Rob Hanrahan leave.

As echoed by others, it's a damn shame that some families have to suffer for the sins of others. I hope at least some of them aren't out of work for long.

Yes very sad to see rob h leave. Hisself wife and two small children lived and breathed bills football and had just bought his very first house last year :-(

They contacted me and said I'm the only one on this forum that knows what they are talking about. I doubt any of you scrubs will get a shot ;)

If that is true, there is still some housecleaning yet to be done. :nana:

There mid-season pick ups have done well. This could be a year where that is really missed.

The biggest issue here is the effect it has on the ability to attract new people. Money and term of contract becomes more important and loyalty is reduced. Common result in business in these circumstances. Of course the incestuous relationships at One Bills Drive have lead to this.

The biggest power broker of the lot IMHO is Overdorf who has gradually taken more and more decision power.

It is still sad that many long term people and their families pay the price for bad leadership.

Edited by Niagara Bill

I agree completely with this statement.

These aren't people that have been there for 17 years. These are people making like $60k a year in some cases. You don't celebrate what those families are now going through. It was a total lack of class on your part.

This as well as the "celebration" for the layoffs at ESPN.

Anyone that celebrates or takes pleasure in someone being let go for non performance related reasons, who was doing everything they were asked for in their job is classless.

Maybe 1 day some of these people will find themselves in a spot where their employer starts handing out pink slips for something other than performance based reasons. I wonder if they'll realize how classless they're being now?

Agreed. Someone losing their job is not cause for celebration