If you owned the Bills would you acknowledge O.J. Simpson?

This is always a sticky situation. OJ is one of the top players in NFL history, he was the face of the Bills and city until the Superbowl Bills, and his accomplishments have stood the test of time. He also probably (he was acquitted) killed two people and the stories before that of him as wife beater etc.. are beyond awful.

I think the Bills have approached this correctly so far. You cannot erase his impact regardless of his fouls after. If the Bills put out a press release quietly on the day each year he hit over 2000 yds saying it happened I have zero problem. It happened and is an accomplishment. It doesn't need much fan fare either for it but it does recognize the accomplishment occuring.

I read a piece on espn about RBs and their decreased value and how coaches are legitimately afraid to even say or compare a guy to OJ as the standard of what you'd want if you draft a RB #1 or pay him etc.. So it kinda hurts their ability to even compare RBs when one of the best is taboo to basically mention anyway.

Edited by corta765

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think his son did it...

The 9 year old in me still defaults to greatest ever, not double murderer, when I think OJ

Tough call.He and L.T. i believe are the only felons in the HOF. One for Robbery,kidnapping. The other for sexual assault,with a minor. Both bad deeds,but their career was worthy. OJ had the juice...LT had the gin.

Maybe they were just "Grandfathered" in, as I doubt we see Sharper get in on his serial rape scandel, tho even after his charges he was nominated.

The thing about OJ is, if you put him in todays NFL, in his prime, he would be just as good as he was back then. The guy was like smoke, youd think you had him and he would just be gone. He was so big and powerful, and just had such moves, speed, elusiveness. Truly one of the all all time greats.

Let me start by sharing my condolences over the loss of Ron and Nicole and their families and friends!

Now, should anyone like to study the facts leading up to the crime, during the trial and post verdict, please consider reading O.J. is Innocent and I can Prove it by William C. Dear.

I, like many on this board and across the country never thought for a moment O.J. was not the killer of these two innocent victims. That said, for no other reason than reading pleasure, I dug into some long since and recently published evidence and as such, have no doubt that O.J. is not only innocent, the actual killer is named with more evidence than that which found O.J. justifiably "not guilty".

I understand the sensitivity of this case, so many years later...however, read the book, you too might be shocked at what has finally been made public and why!

PS - William C. Dear is a world renowned homicide investigator. For instance, he was appointed by the court to the exhumation of Lee Harvey Oswald.

PPS - In my personal opinion, what he did on the field has nothing to do with what happened in his personal life.

Let me start by sharing my condolences over the loss of Ron and Nicole and their families and friends!

Now, should anyone like to study the facts leading up to the crime, during the trial and post verdict, please consider reading O.J. is Innocent and I can Prove it by William C. Dear.

I, like many on this board and across the country never thought for a moment O.J. was not the killer of these two innocent victims. That said, for no other reason than reading pleasure, I dug into some long since and recently published evidence and as such, have no doubt that O.J. is not only innocent, the actual killer is named with more evidence than that which found O.J. justifiably "not guilty".

I understand the sensitivity of this case, so many years later...however, read the book, you too might be shocked at what has finally been made public and why!

PS - William C. Dear is a world renowned homicide investigator. For instance, he was appointed by the court to the exhumation of Lee Harvey Oswald.

PPS - In my personal opinion, what he did on the field has nothing to do with what happened in his personal life.

Interesting. Thanks for that perspective.

I would remove his name, and any sign of him, from all of One Bills Drive/New Era, if I had it my way.

i have a really hard time justifying it, and really the outpouring of people in favor of keeping him up is the only reason i think twice. its hard for me to say just leave it up but i suppose a little easier because its passive and just not doing anything.

i couldnt bring myself to being the guy that ordered a new set of signage to go up in his name at the next stadium though. nope.

Acknowledge? I acknowledge he ran well.

I would never ever honor him. It's a disgrace that his name is up on the wall. Sickens me every time and the rest of the country mocks Buffalo every time they see it. Totally unnecessary and should be removed.

It's not Orwellian. It's deciding to not honor a wife beater double murderer.

And as far as angering half the fan base, it's got to be easier to politically align with people not defending OJ.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

Is your real name William C. Dear? Just curious! :)

Exactly. Wtf? I feel like the IQ level around here has plummeted.

When I park next to your ivory tower can I have my parking validated?

Relax, brah... it's the off-season and were smack dab in the middle of the doldrums!

Yes. A person is more than the worst thing they've ever done.

What if it's like a lot of bad things that have been ongoing for a long time but really hit a peak along the way with a double murder? Does having a charming smile and running fast really balance that all out?

The book was a human experiment to prove that if you put it in a book, a portion of society will believe literally anything.

William C. Dear thanks you for proving his experiment correct.

. Great football player, great Bill but unfortunately not a great citizen in recent times. Very unfortunate.It would be a great experience to see the the Juice back at Rich Stadium (I still call it Rich Stadium and am a long time season ticket holder) but it will never happen. One of the the most dynamic and enigmatic players of the time and maybe all time but sad to say his personal demons overcast his football legacy. I would love to see him again but unfortunately that will not happen. Still wear the the OJ shirt at a game per season and wear it with pride for all he did for us. He would be the Jim Kelly of his era. Very sad indeed

. Great football player, great Bill but unfortunately not a great citizen in recent times. Very unfortunate.It would be a great experience to see the the Juice back at Rich Stadium (I still call it Rich Stadium and am a long time season ticket holder) but it will never happen. One of the the most dynamic and enigmatic players of the time and maybe all time but sad to say his personal demons overcast his football legacy. I would love to see him again but unfortunately that will not happen. Still wear the the OJ shirt at a game per season and wear it with pride for all he did for us. He would be the Jim Kelly of his era. Very sad indeed

Even the term "recent times" is a bit generous.... abuse reports date back 30 years. He's had the public issues for essentially half his life now. If you assume that he got caught the first time that's still a pretty nasty 3 decade track record odds are he's been that guy even longer though.

Edited by NoSaint

All due respect to the 2 people who died... who may or may not have died by his hands. Do you feel his on the field accomplishments should be recognized( wall of fame etc)

Not sure I'm tracking here. His name is already on the wall. What else would you want? Aside from being on the wall, nothing else.

Acknowledge? I acknowledge he ran well.

I would never ever honor him. It's a disgrace that his name is up on the wall. Sickens me every time and the rest of the country mocks Buffalo every time they see it. Totally unnecessary and should be removed.

It's not Orwellian. It's deciding to not honor a wife beater double murderer.

And as far as angering half the fan base, it's got to be easier to politically align with people not defending OJ.

Life is a matter of degree, but there is a big difference between being imperfect and being a double murderer. I would scrub the name from the wall. But even if the pegulas don't do that, they should (and surely do) recognize the difference between acknowledging oj and acknowledging oj's athletic accomplishments. Acknowledging oj the person is not going to happen.

For what it's worth, coming from a guy who does this for a living, I don't know if I've ever seen a murder case with as much inculpatory evidence as the oj case.