Lorenzo back on a 2 year deal

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is shaping up to be one slow-ass defense.

$4.5M/year is starter money. Lo plays the SLB, Preston in middle, and Ragland at Will? Doesn't make alot of sense. Maybe we'll add a speedy WLB, but then who rides the pine? probably Preston.

I still don't know what D McD is trying to build.

I don't really understand how everyone will fit this scheme. Ragland, Brown, Alexander our 3 LBs??? But i do trust McDermott

Great price tag and if he doesn't fit we can cut him after this year. Agreed where I'd have Zach brown as the priority but it seems like he wants more than we think he's worth

This is shaping up to be one slow-ass defense.

$4.5M/year is starter money. Lo plays the SLB, Preston in middle, and Ragland at Will? Doesn't make alot of sense. Maybe we'll add a speedy WLB, but then who rides the pine? probably Preston.

I still don't know what D McD is trying to build.

Preston sucks. He needs to be replaced imo.

Great price tag and if he doesn't fit we can cut him after this year. Agreed where I'd have Zach brown as the priority but it seems like he wants more than we think he's worth

Preston sucks. He needs to be replaced imo.

Agreed on all fronts.

Zach writing the Bills off to Preston on Twitter prior to the start of the Free Agency combined with him still being unsigned leads me to believe he's asking for too much.

... and yeah, Preston Brown has been uninspiring to me since the day he came in. A little better than Kelvin Sheppard.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Nice first post. I'm wondering where the speed will come from too ...

Thanks. BBMB refugee.

Nice write up on McD's D http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

this first image, shows Lo's most likely lineup, where it says Ragland/Preston on the left. You then get Ragland and Preston in the middle.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/9kmYMtbT42OqKaYjjayVgVMgN70=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7795117/McDermott_4_3_under.jpg

But on the 4-3 over look, he doesn't look like a great fit as he's more off the line, playing zone, maybe blitzing up the middle. Really depends how much McD plans to blitz.

Key question is, who are the 2 LBs in the nickel? Hard to see Lo staying on the field, unless its to sub for Hughes. Ragland and Preston don't give me tons of confidence as our nickel LBs.

He is great on special teams and his sacks came from winning one on one battles with offensive lineman. He will apply pressure in any system.

I'm not so sure of that. He had a great first half when Rex was playing "Gilmore/Darby Island" and getting pressure from all over the place. After getting torched one too many times, the Bills started to drop more guys into coverage, and .... the sacks dried up. Not just from Lorax, but from everyone.

Mike Rodak:

Bills OLB Lorenzo Alexander says he expects to have a similar role as Panthers OLB Thomas Davis in Sean McDermott's defense, "both on the field and in the locker room." Alexander is listed at 245 pounds, while Davis is 235 pounds; Alexander might have to shed weight to fill that role. The two are friends from their rookie year with Panthers in 2005.

Mike Rodak:

Bills OLB Lorenzo Alexander says he expects to have a similar role as Panthers OLB Thomas Davis in Sean McDermott's defense, "both on the field and in the locker room." Alexander is listed at 245 pounds, while Davis is 235 pounds; Alexander might have to shed weight to fill that role. The two are friends from their rookie year with Panthers in 2005.

Davis is a former safety who can cover, Alexander is a former defensive tackle...Davis has speed, Alexander doesn't.

Really wish they kept Zach Brown, good QB's are going to absolutely destroy these LB's.

(I get he's a great guy and all, but I don't like this at all...rather put that $4.5M towards Zach Brown, someone with speed who can play sideline-to-sideline.)

Amusing how some here know more about LB play then a HC that got his job because of how good he coached defenses.

rex Ryan got his job that way too and I'm pretty sure most of this board knew better then to be dropping Mario Williams into coverage. This board has been in the playoffs as many times as the bills in this millennium so maybe that's what's funny.

Amusing how some here know more about LB play then a HC that got his job because of how good he coached defenses.

That really doesn't prove anything. Coaches have plans that blow up in their face all of the time. Rex was hired for his supposed defensive genius and his D was awful. Plenty of fans questioned him throughout the process and got responses just like yours, "do you actually think you know defense better than Rex Ryan ahahaha." Truth is its not an impossibility for a fan to see an issue ahead of time and ultimately be right about it. these coaches are humans who !@#$ up, not deities. We're here to share our takes and it would be awfully boring and unfruitful if all we ever did is bow down to the genius that is Bills management. I'm happy to read what people have to say if they can put together a compelling argument.

That said I like this signing

I get the feeling that -- with regard to Alexander's pass rushing success -- he was largely a beneficiary of the Rex Ryan system.

What the Bills WILL be getting for their money is a stud special teams player and a steady locker room and community presence.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time Alexander was in a 4-3 defense, he played OLB and not edge rusher. Will be interesting to see what he does in McDermott's D.

My gut feeling is that I feel the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

So only one guy was the beneficiary of Rex's defense?

I've got a bad feeling about paying a 1 year wonder. Good for LorAx.

Well, you could be right but I like idea of paying for production. Guy seemed to give 100% effort all the time. I'm glad the old guy finally landed a decent contract.

That really doesn't prove anything. Coaches have plans that blow up in their face all of the time. Rex was hired for his supposed defensive genius and his D was awful. Plenty of fans questioned him throughout the process and got responses just like yours, "do you actually think you know defense better than Rex Ryan ahahaha." Truth is its not an impossibility for a fan to see an issue ahead of time and ultimately be right about it. these coaches are humans who !@#$ up, not deities. We're here to share our takes and it would be awfully boring and unfruitful if all we ever did is bow down to the genius that is Bills management. I'm happy to read what people have to say if they can put together a compelling argument.

If there is a compelling argument I quite agree

You're right, coaches are humans not deities. And some of Rex's mistakes were readily apparent.

Nonetheless, I laugh when fans overflowing with hubris think they're smarter than scouts and coaches. There's a lot of professional expertise in the NFL. The higher guys have been mentored and trained for years.

Sometimes our second-guessing is like an amateur watching a neurosurgeon at work and questioning his choice of instruments.

Of course, it's more fun when we second-guess. But when we say so-and-so is a moron and an idiot, we go too far. What the hell do we actually know?

Back to Lorax, I'm happy to have him back.

Not a bad deal at all, hopefully they can resign Zach Brown and really round out the front 7 nicely.

If they brought Z Brown back or someone with that cover speed. I would be tickled honestly.

Very pleased about Alexander staying a Bill.

Good news, but I'm a little surprised that Z. Brown wasn't prioritized over Lo due to the change in scheme/age/etc.

I assume he'd be a rotational pass rusher and ST guy mainly? And not a LB?

I think you are making assumptions. Zach Brown is probably playing the field to get an idea of his value.

I am glad he is back. People say he faded but I believe he was playing thru an injury. This dude never takes a play off and didn't quit with 2/3 of the team last year. Good deal👍🏼

he may have faded a bit down the stretch but he was indeed playing through an injury. He has the mentally tough mindset we need. Edited by YoloinOhio