Can Sammy Watkins be elite? Chad Ochocinco gives his take

pbanach

If Ocho Stinko is capable of seeing the blatantly obvious then IDK what Rex didn't see. Last year was a wash without Sammys injured foot making him less explosive in cuts and speed but... when healthy we need to feed that man. Hopefully we sign someone capable of drawing some attention away from him and he is healthy, then Sammy could truly shine and be a top 5 WR in this league. Based on ability, not stats. We're a running team, Sammy will never top the stat sheets when compared to the Antonio, Julio, Evans and Beckham.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

I think we all know this. Sammy's two worst enemeis are 1. a limited QB in run heavy scheme and 2. his own health issues

We have seen Sammy when healthy put up big numbers even with a limited QB and run heavy scheme but we have also seen him get neglected with the same QB and scheme. And then of course he hasn't helped himself with his injuries.

We still haven't experienced that True full season with Sammy healthy for 16 games. There's no question he is an elite wide receiver and probably top 5 in the league. I just don't know if Tyrod has developed enough of a chemistry and trust with him yet? I hate the curl routes and they need to expand the route tree for Sammy, so he can take advantage of his yac. Dennison has to expand the passing game to include Sammy and Charles more. Even if it means reducing the run game.

We still haven't experienced that True full season with Sammy healthy for 16 games. There's no question he is an elite wide receiver and probably top 5 in the league. I just don't know if Tyrod has developed enough of a chemistry and trust with him yet? I hate the curl routes and they need to expand the route tree for Sammy, so he can take advantage of his yac. Dennison has to expand the passing game to include Sammy and Charles more. Even if it means reducing the run game.

Under Dennison, I expect to see Sammy run more screens, slants, and drags. He's obviously a great deep threat, but asking him to run 3-4 different routes every game is not proper utilization of his talents. Maybe even put him in the slot at times.

Under Dennison, I expect to see Sammy run more screens, slants, and drags. He's obviously a great deep threat, but asking him to run 3-4 different routes every game is not proper utilization of his talents. Maybe even put him in the slot at times.

Maybe we will see some bubble screens to Sammy. Only made his name in college by doing that.

Sammy was playing injured a lot last year.

This had to have effected the routes and plays called in an effort to not injure him more. Thus the sideline throws to avoid tackles.

I hate to say this, but, Sammy NEEDS TT.

Right now, the spotlight is on TAYLOR and Sammy being a victim of a "Run First Team". This kind of gives Sammy a pass on being/playing injured a lot.

The jury is still out on Sammy's ability to GET & STAY HEALTHY.

If they feed Sammy, he will eat! The problem with Sammy is health.

IF he plays a full season there is no reason he cannot put up elite #s.

100 catches 1500+ yards and 15 tds is possible even in a run first offense IF he gets the opportunities and can handle the workload.

There's no doubt he can get open.

Sammy is such a frustratrating player. All the talent in the world, but cant stay healthy and seems to make one bonehead move every game. Still is an elite talent, and the bills got to give him 10 targets every game

Force 10 targets to him every game. I don't care if they're slants, bubble screens or fly routes...if he can't sustain the beating we need to know this once and for all.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2017/03/10/is-sammy-watkins-elite-chad-ochocinco-weighs-in-on-buffalo-bi

"Sammy Watkins is elite when he's targeted like a true #1 WR and when healthy"[/size]

The whole 'when healthy" comment is the rub. Hopefully we get to see a full season at some point.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Maybe we will see some bubble screens to Sammy. Only made his name in college by doing that.

I get that, and I'd like to see it at times, but he was so lethal with bubble screens in college because it was college. I dont think they'd be quite as potent in the pros. Sammy was lethal in college with bubble screes, because his talent level was far superior to those players lining up on the other side.

I thought it was strange that the previous staff(s) didn't run a bubble screen or two to him at least every once in a while, especially since that was basically half of his college tape. Then again, Rex was gushing over Sammy in his post game presser, after he torched his Jets with slants, yet Sammy seemingly never ran slants while Rex was his HC...

I just hope those are at least included in the playbook, and used sparatically just to mix things up, and I believe they will be under Dennison.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Sammy would be targeted more if he wasn't busy tweeting digs at his QB and put in the work like Woods did in the offseason. He'd also be targeted more if he wasn't on the bench with an injury half the season and was able to get into any sort of rhythm and timing connection with his QB.

If I'm a QB I'm going to throw to the guys I'm familiar with, that I have timing with and I know where they're going to be on the field and when.

If he can stay healthy I don't see a single reason why Tyrod wouldn't treat him like a true #1 and target him more.

To place the blame for Sammy's lack of presence squarely on the QB is ignorant of how the QB / WR relationship work, especially at the NFL level. Look at the relationship Brady has with Edelman and Gronk, and what he had with Welker. Those were built on rhythm and being on the same page at all times.

Build the chemistry, the targets and catches will come.

IMO Sammy's ego (unyielding support for EJ in 2015 and open criticism of Taylor) and his oft injured state is what held him back.

Enjoy him now. When his rook contract is up he will be gone unless they tag him.

He needs a Aaron rodgers type guy to make him a superstar. And may want one.

His second contract will dwarf Tyrods deal.

So maybe you work in Corey Davis next season. DB depth is great so our remaining needs can be filled later. Unlike some here, I trust them to do the right thing. I did NOT like the idea of Rex having any influence in the draft room (or on the field for that matter). And no, I'm not blaming him instead of Whaley. Just sayin'.

Stay healthy Sammy, the rest will take care of itself!

Sammy would be targeted more if he wasn't busy tweeting digs at his QB and put in the work like Woods did in the offseason. He'd also be targeted more if he wasn't on the bench with an injury half the season and was able to get into any sort of rhythm and timing connection with his QB.

If I'm a QB I'm going to throw to the guys I'm familiar with, that I have timing with and I know where they're going to be on the field and when.

If he can stay healthy I don't see a single reason why Tyrod wouldn't treat him like a true #1 and target him more.

To place the blame for Sammy's lack of presence squarely on the QB is ignorant of how the QB / WR relationship work, especially at the NFL level. Look at the relationship Brady has with Edelman and Gronk, and what he had with Welker. Those were built on rhythm and being on the same page at all times.

IMO Sammy's ego (unyielding support for EJ in 2015 and open criticism of Taylor) and his oft injured state is what held him back.

What is this and link please.

Taylor is hot garbage as a passer but I've never heard Sammy say this.

I remembered when he held a "throw me the damn ball" presser after being ignored for 8 weeks in a row then led the league in receiving for the 2nd half of that season.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The passing game needs to go through Sammy like it does AB in Pittsburgh. If he is healthy there is no reason he can't put up 1,600 yards and 15 TD's

It did over the final 9 games in 2015 when he was finally healthy after the bye and he was one of the top 3 most productive WRs during the span in the NFL...with TT throwing him the ball.

:worthy:

can you please be more specific about Sammy's criticism of Taylor? I've noticed him showing up the QB on the field when TT messes up.