At 2-0 will you believe?

Coastie

Every season since 1973, I start with hope, I start with dreams of the Bills winning a Super Bowl but if the Bills start 2-0 this season I think for the first time in 10 years I will actually BELIEVE we can make it to the Super Bowl. Not saying we will, not even saying it is probable but I am saying for the first time in recent memory I will able to look at my team honestly and say we can win it all.

I know two games is not a lot but what will push me over the edge into belief is we played five games against teams with ten wins or more last year and won three of them. So I am like Fox Mulder I guess, I want to believe and if we can pull off the win this week, I will.

I believed before yesterday because I like the way that the team is built. I think that they are really talented and have pretty good depth. There have been other years where they may be 1-0 and not nearly this good. I don't think that history has anything to do with it. They are different players playing against different opponents.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2-0 would have us beating the SB Champs and the team they faced in the AFC Championship last year the first two weeks of the season. If we then roll Miami, the other AFC East team that the bobble heads were talking up this offseason, then it's on like a mofo!

I always found away to believe in our worst teams

I was shaky on the QB situations past and present, but I have been THOROUGHLY impressed with Taylor since the first preseason game. I knew the defense was there and had high hopes with our new coaching staff. This team has a chance to be something special THIS YEAR....... IF we can stay healthy. We all deserve a team like this to root for after what we have endured. We ALL do. :thumbsup:

This Cheatriots game is going to be a new sort of challenge relative to the Colts; NE is a much better team and we all know we will eventually have to go through them if we are going to take it to a new level.

This game coming up is HUGE.

Imagine the confidence this team will have if we can find a way to win.

I can't wait to get it on and for Brady to kiss the turf.

They were 2-0 last year, 3-0 in 2011 and 4-0 in 2008.

I'm very pleased with the win, but it's a long season that will have ups and downs. I'll believe they can reach the playoffs when they clinch a spot.

Geez-- now I am thinking we need to be 11-0 before I start believing.

I will say that I fell hook, line, and sinker in 2011.

game of the century coming up

National TV game most likely with a pedestrian 1PM slate... Brady's 1st away game that he shouldnt be playing in. Most viewers will be rooting for Buffalo... Delirious crowd. A team that is a legit threat to make a statement to compete... not only for a playoff spot but things like byes.

Probably the biggest game, legitimately, since the music city miracle

Edited by May Day 10

The team has to win games in late October-early November for me to believe in them. They always win at the beginning of the season, lose a ton of winnable games in the middle, and then win enough to ruin draft positioning.

Win in November and then I will believe.

We have had seasons where we started off great....and missed the playoffs.

I will believe not based on win loss record.....but our teams offense having the ability to overcome a bad day on defense.

I saw glimpses of that yesterday (the defense was dominant......but our offense actually helped THEM out)

Edited by John from Hemet

this is a really good team, with good coaches. I thought they would beat the Colts and a good chance of beating the Pats.

That game yesterday was different than the other fast starts IMO. Much more 'convincing' of a performance.

I couldn't agree more. So many of our other fast starts in recent history have been done using " smoke and mirrors ". Last minute comebacks, offensive shootouts, etc. The kind of things that cannot be maintained over a long season. Such as the Fitzmagic wins over the Raiders and Pats in 2011, or the quick start by Captain Checkdown that involved second half comebacks with what seemed to be a little bit of luck mixed in. Yesterday we completely handed it to the Colts, and one of the best QBs in the league. It was totally domination on both sides of the ball. We also have an elite defense, and that makes all the difference in the world. We didn't need Brian Moorman to throw a TD to Ryan Denney for this one, we just lined up and beat them. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine but why do we compare how 2003 (or whatever old year) started to this? The coaches were different, the players were different, the people selecting the players were different, the people that played against the Bills were different. It in no way is an indicator of what will happen this year. I get it, we have been burned before but you can't base your opinion of this team's chances on what happened when Derek Fine was in the lineup. It is completely meaningless.

If you say that you don't believe because you don't think that Darby can sustain that level of play or fears of the OL -fine. If you don't believe because you believed in 2003 and it didn't work out that doesn't make any logical sense.

They were 2-0 last year, 3-0 in 2011 and 4-0 in 2008.

I'm very pleased with the win, but it's a long season that will have ups and downs. I'll believe they can reach the playoffs when they clinch a spot.

This. I have high hopes. And I've been let down so many times.

I would hereby like to be totally inconsistent from thread to thread by proposing for Brady the new nickname "Rubber Tree Plant" and for Nickell Robey "the Little 'Ol Ant":

"Oooops, there goes another rubber tree plant"

Make the playoffs and I'll believe. Been burned too many times in the past 15 years... bledsoe, losman, edwards, fitz etc... they all had some great games early in the season which led to lots of national exposure about finally finding a QB, etc.

2002 off to a 5-3 start, they finish 3-5 to miss the playoffs

2003 start the season with a 31-0 drubbing of NE... Buffalo misses the playoffs, NE wins the Super Bowl.

2005 the Bills, at home, led by JP Losman beat the favored Texans by a score of 22-7. Lose the next 3, go 5-11.

2008 the Trent Edwards led Bills start the season 5-1, putting up 109 points in the first 4 games. They go 2-8 the rest of the way.

2011 Fitz leads the to a 5-1 start. They go 2-9 the rest of the season.

2015 led by new signal caller Tyrod Taylor, they beat the favored Colts at home. ??????

A couple things about yesterday which are red flags, things that playoff teams do not do...

- penalties, 11 for 113 (typical of a Rex Ryan coached team)

- questionable OL play, not much daylight for McCoy

- miscommunication on offense, taking timeouts just to get the play called right

If the Colts don't turn the ball over, then I think they win the game. eg, Brady won't throw those picks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited they won, but there are some things that stand out which they'll need to overcome in order to be considered a playoff team IMO.... namely, actually making the playoffs.

Edited by pi2000

The Bills lined up and beat the Colts. There was no smoke and mirrors. In fact i think both units will improve a lot as the season goes on.

It is a long season and anything can happen. This is a new team built with new players and coaches. None of those past teams have any real bearing on this one. I doubt there is any players still left from that 2011 team?

If the Bills can put together another win like this last one against the Pats, they will serve notice that coming into RWS stadium and looking for a win will be hard.

This year is going to be a fun fun year.

Sorry, but I believe now. I believed before yesterday.

Remember when Kieth Ellison was a starter? That's when I didn't believe. This is a different vibe.

The tide has turned and you can feel it. I may end up eating crow, but I dont care. This is the year we get back.

I've been lumping @Miami in with my litmus test. If we come out of week 3 at 2-1 or better I think the team is in pretty good shape as that is arguably the toughest 3 game opening stretch in the league.

Yes, We really need to be 2-1 and it would be great if we could be 6-2 heading into Rex's return game. That's going to start a tough stretch of 5 road games in 6 games.

I've been lumping @Miami in with my litmus test. If we come out of week 3 at 2-1 or better I think the team is in pretty good shape as that is arguably the toughest 3 game opening stretch in the league.

3-0 or bust. We have a crazy road schedule later in the season, we need to win games *now*.

Sorry, but I believe now. I believed before yesterday.

Remember when Kieth Ellison was a starter? That's when I didn't believe. This is a different vibe.

The tide has turned and you can feel it. I may end up eating crow, but I dont care. This is the year we get back.

I tend to have this approach as well. In my mind the only real questions is QB and Tyrod has answered with flying colors so far. Our defense has proven it's good, Sammy/Woods/Harvin/Shady have proven they can make plays in this league, the line is certainly a concern but so far has been fine.

Looking around the rest of the AFC and I don't see why we don't stack up well. Denver's line looks like a mess and Peyton is clearly in his end game. Baltimore looked pretty stagnant yesterday. Obviously we handled the Colts. Miami did not look overly impressive against the Redskins, needing a punt return TD to pull that game out. The Jets and the Bengals looked fine but it could also be the Browns and Raiders looking bad. Ditto Titans-Bucs. The Steelers defense is atrocious. I thought KC and San Diego were the only AFC teams to approach our level of play yesterday.

If no one on the offensive line or defensive line get injured through the season, I have high hopes. If a single one of them goes out for an extended period I will be surprised with 8-8. We have some depth on D at least but the Oline is what will make or break the year IMO.

I believed this was a playoff team (~10-6) before the season started.

I was marginally disappointed in the O-Line run blocking yesterday, but pleasantly surprised by the DBs.

I fully expect them to beat the Pats somewhat handily Sunday. The Pats are not the same team - losing Revis is not a minor thing, and their run D against Steelers backups looked like they miss Wilfork. The middle of the Pats O-Line is a shaky mess and I rationally expect Dareus to go wild on them. Pressure up the middle always beats Brady (and pretty much any other QB).

Sure - I have all that Bills-fan fear from years of disappointment, but rationally, I can see a 9-7 team from last year with a top defense that upgraded at 6 of 11 offensive positions and rationally determine this is a 10-6 or better team that will likely make the playoffs. If they win the next two, with no big injuries and Tyron still playing well I will start thinking about 12-4 and the division and beyond.

I believed before yesterday because I like the way that the team is built. I think that they are really talented and have pretty good depth. There have been other years where they may be 1-0 and not nearly this good. I don't think that history has anything to do with it. They are different players playing against different opponents.

Kirby i agree, butttttttt......... you can't forget the new coaching staff specifically Mr. Roman and especially Mr. Ryan.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine but why do we compare how 2003 (or whatever old year) started to this? The coaches were different, the players were different, the people selecting the players were different, the people that played against the Bills were different. It in no way is an indicator of what will happen this year. I get it, we have been burned before but you can't base your opinion of this team's chances on what happened when Derek Fine was in the lineup. It is completely meaningless.

If you say that you don't believe because you don't think that Darby can sustain that level of play or fears of the OL -fine. If you don't believe because you believed in 2003 and it didn't work out that doesn't make any logical sense.

:thumbsup:

The upcoming game at home against the Pats* and the away game against the Fins will be big measuring sticks. The Pats* are the defending champs and have had the throne of the division for a long ass time. The Fins away won't be an easy challenge either. The Bills needed to survive the early schedule, but if they can bully a few wins early then it sets their season up nicely.

16 years and counting Kirby.....:)

I mean....I think this team is different....but I get it when people arent ready to crown them