Dareus: Bills celebrated when Marrone opted out

FluffHead

@Jiillyy: Marcell Dareus told @MikeSilver that everyone celebrated a little harder when Doug Marrone opted out on New Years Eve loll #BillsMafia

I did not see the segment with mike silver but apparently it was on nfln tonight

I saw it.

There was that quote and also:

He was surprised it didn't come sooner (obviously because he hadn't reached the point of being able to opt out). Marrone was always so anal and micromanaging everyone.

Why does it matter if I don't wear regulation socks to practice?

What does putting on a sweater in a cold meeting room have to do with winning?

"Quarterback EJ Manuel and guard Kraig Urbik, both of whom were benched by Marrone this year, both chimed in with Happy New Year! tweets within minutes after the news broke that Marrone is leaving."

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/bills-players-caught-off-guard-by-doug-marrones-exit/

9-7 with Orton slingin the rock. Would the Bills record have been with EJ starting? I think we all know the answer to that is NO.

And EJ isn't even gonna be the starter this year!! I'm sure he will celebrate when Rex gets canned to. I doubt he will even be in the NFL tho at that point. And no one will care! Sorry EJ!

9-7 with Orton slingin the rock. Would the Bills record have been with EJ starting? I think we all know the answer to that is NO.

And EJ isn't even gonna be the starter this year!! I'm sure he will celebrate when Rex gets canned to. I doubt he will even be in the NFL tho at that point. And no one will care! Sorry EJ!

You're not mad at EJ, you're mad at your dad.

All new wanted was a fair chance. He got it. Why would he be happy when rex gets fired? Is that sarcasm or your about at being funny?

I may be totally wrong, and I have nothing to base this on, but I have a gut feeling that Moron was encouraged to leave.

The "opt out" cause was a convenient way for him to save face.

I've believed that from the moment I saw Pegula's reaction at the press conference announcing Rex. A reporter asked the panel if they were surprised Doug opted out. Before the reporter finished the sentence, Terry was on the mic with "Absolutely." To me, it sounded like the CEO getting the company line out there as quickly as possible.

Not unusual for the ex-coach to take some smack from a few ex-players. Even "players coach" Rex was given a little nasty. That said, Marrone earned a special level of hate from all sides. Fans, players, staffers, management...overall, he managed to achieve the unique distinction of becoming the most hated Bills coach of all time.

I don't know whether we'd be 9-7 with EJ. But I think you'd find a lot of people around here who think that we'd have been 11-5 if we'd have anyone else than the Marrone/Hackett duo play calling in the Denver and Oakland games.

"Quarterback EJ Manuel and guard Kraig Urbik, both of whom were benched by Marrone this year, both chimed in with Happy New Year! tweets within minutes after the news broke that Marrone is leaving."

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/bills-players-caught-off-guard-by-doug-marrones-exit/

I wonder if Manuel is still happy now that he's sitting at third string.

Well, I guess we can officially stop with marrone helped mentor Dareus?

I don't think that's true at all. Marrone definitely helped mentor Dareus when he was down. That was in Marrone's first year. And Dareus said at the time that it meant a lot to him. I always thought until yesterday, that that would have help a lot of weight for Dareus, but apparently it didn't. The second year of Marrone turned Dareus sour on him despite his help. That really surprised me (maybe Marrone was even more of a dick and not to be liked or trusted than we thought. But it doesn't negate the fact that Marrone helped mentor Dareus, he surely did in Marrone's first year and when Dareus was hurting more than he is now.

Not unusual for the ex-coach to take some smack from a few ex-players. Even "players coach" Rex was given a little nasty. That said, Marrone earned a special level of hate from all sides. Fans, players, staffers, management...overall, he managed to achieve the unique distinction of becoming the most hated Bills coach of all time.

I agree

CBF

I think the only credit Marrone should get is that he hired three good coordinators in his time with the Bills: Pettine, Crossman and Schwartz. Otherwise, he was a terrible coach who was ultra-conservative, micro-managing, and more concerned about what what said about him in the media. I'm glad he's gone and never gets another HC job in the NFL again.

IMO one of the truest tests of a man's character is how he treats those who he doesn't "have to" treat well.

Marrone was, by all accounts, an insufferable, arrogant, abusive jerk to pretty much everyone in the building (support staff, players, etc.). He let most people that he came in contact with know that they were insignificant little pukes and he was the big bad football coach. Bosses and superiors he treated with barely concealed disdain. Hell, he got into a screaming match in public with his bosses during camp and went around calling himself "Saint Doug."

The Bills were Doug Marrone's world, and everyone else was just living in it. Or so he thought.

He was the same way at SU: a total control freak and megalomaniac with mediocre results to show for it. Parcells can do that. Marrone cannot.

What's truly amazing is that football players getting paid millions of dollars are professional enough to put up with that type of condescending and juvenile treatment without talking back.

Edited by TheFunPolice

All new wanted was a fair chance. He got it. Why would he be happy when rex gets fired? Is that sarcasm or your about at being funny?

How exactly was EJ treated unfairly? He was given the opportunity to succeed under Marrone and Hack by virtue of the fact that he was named the starter of the Bills last season. He then went on to lose that starting role through his awful play (remember the Houston game?) I think EJ deserved to get benched in favor of Orton.

Now fast forward to the end of the season. Marrone and the Bills part ways and how does EJ react? He decides to troll his former coach on Twitter.

Now it's the 2015 season and it's looking like EJ won't even get the benefit of being named the starter, confirming that he's a huge first round bust. I'm guessing he's try and blame someone for his failings tho.

If he gets cut after this season, I think I might have to take to Twitter to wish him a big ole HAPPY NEW YEAR!

True story. I know Marrones old neighbor in Syracuse and he was also neighbors with Jim Boeheim. He had nothing but nice things to say about Jim. Marrone on the other hand!

He said the day it broke he was resigning he dropped his children off at my friends house. (Their kids were good friends). Marrone said "I have to go make a phone call". And left his kids there for 2 days.

True story. He also said he was just an all around dick.

I may be totally wrong, and I have nothing to base this on, but I have a gut feeling that Moron was encouraged to leave.

The "opt out" cause was a convenient way for him to save face.

Marrone left because he thought he had the Jets HC gig in the bag. We see how that worked out for him. :rolleyes::lol:

I wonder if Manuel is still happy now that he's sitting at third string.

I'm sure he is. Because if he remains at 3rd string and the other guys in front of him start playing the way Orton did after several games, Rex would likely play him.

..and drive it straight into a tree in front of the Mongolian Buffet

Dareus should take the NFL to court over his 1 game suspension.