Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the anger at him. We don't know what drove this, and he exercised his contractual right. He will make more money and have more security (in terms of years) elsewhere. Plus possibly a competent qb.

Like LaFontaine before him, I think he is not the guy he portrays himself to be and just pisses people off. There is a lot of reason to believe that.

Sounds like he just burned his bridges with the staff. Fool. Hurts his reputation and integrity.

Agreed. We gave him a shot. He performed average. Now he is believing the crap Schefter is spewing. Have at it St Doug. Edited by BringBackFergy

I'd bet he's already got another job lined up (perhaps the Raiders with Brandon?) that he thinks will give him at least two more years in the NFL (absent a Cleveland/Chud situation) vs. Buffalo where he'd clearly be gone if they don't make the playoffs next year. I also hope for his sake that he counted on the fact that after he fails out of that next job, leaving the Bills like this will be a black mark on his record and may make his next (after the one he's got lined up) employer think long and hard about hiring him at any level. Actually, the way he left, no, I don't really hope that--in fact, I hope that that is exactly what happens to him--one and done elsewhere and then unemployed. What a classless way to leave--and I was one of the folks who hoped he'd stay.

Our only hope now is that he left because there are bigger things in the wings. Odd on that are slim and none and Slim just left town....

Edited by MattM

Paul Peck@PeckOnSports 33s34 seconds ago

I don't think anyone at 1 Bills Dr is sad to see Marrone go. I hear he just wore people out with his miserable attitude.

I have heard the same thing. He was part of the reason some people left (although not the only). I can't say I'm sad to see him go. Funny though that both coaches that got us 9 wins, up and left.

Shocked to say the least. When someone decides to leave make sure to close the door fast enough that they can't change their mind. It's not about what the Bills lost, it's about what they get to do now and that is to pick a better coach. We'll just see if they do.

What a year for the Bills. This is exciting stuff! Can't wait to see how all the changes at One Bills Drive take shape!

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 17s17 seconds ago

League source: Marrone asked Pegulas for an extension and was told no. He then asked for extensions for his assistants and was told no.

TPEGS holdin it down! I lament the loss of Marrone but could be a blessing in disguise.

This decision related to Orton's retirement at all?

Edited by SmokinES3

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 17s17 seconds ago

League source: Marrone asked Pegulas for an extension and was told no. He then asked for extensions for his assistants and was told no.

If that is the case, then I am totally fine with Pegula's decision. I thought Marrone was actually doing a very good job, but no way had he earned an extension, and there is certainly no reason to extend any coach on the offensive side of the ball.

Paul Peck@PeckOnSports 33s34 seconds ago

I don't think anyone at 1 Bills Dr is sad to see Marrone go. I hear he just wore people out with his miserable attitude.

I was just making mountains out of mole hills when I said the events seemed to be adding up publicly and there were likely more behind closed doors!

I'm surprised he's gone this year, but not shocked to hear it was very close to unworkable keeping him.