Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who wanted him gone and celebrating his departure - careful what you wish for. IMHO, Marrone was not the problem with this organization. OC and OL coach both were far bigger issues and now the baby has decided to jump before the bath water was readying for being thrown out.

Schwartz should NOT be the HC.

The decision to trade our first round pick in 2015 to move up to take Watkins will potentially hurt us in the search for a new head coach.

Oh stop it. That isn't going to be a deciding factor for any serious HC candidate. This team has more talent than any other team looking for a coach - even SF, IMHO.

I am really bummed to see Marrone go - I thought that he did an exceptional job, but if forced to pick between Marrone and Whaley, I'd have chosen Whaley.

Still, this is a huge mess now. They *can* hold the assistants hostage (especially Schwartz), but any new HC is going to want his own assistants. So, expect to blow the whole thing up and star YET AGAIN. FWIW, I think Schwartz did a great job as DC and hope that he will stay in that capacity, but I'll be very concerned if he becomes the HC after the disastrous job he did in Detroit with similar or better talent.

I was just making mountains out of mole hills when I said the events seemed to be adding up publicly and there were likely more behind closed doors!

I'm surprised he's gone this year, but not shocked to hear it was very close to unworkable keeping him.

I never though things would come to a head this year...

Jeremy White@JeremyWGR 8m8 minutes ago

Word is Marrone really had a hard time dealing with media/criticism. So..the Jets is the chatter eh? Heh.

If that is the case, then I am totally fine with Pegula's decision. I thought Marrone was actually doing a very good job, but no way had he earned an extension, and there is certainly no reason to extend any coach on the offensive side of the ball.

This. He earned himself a third season, but there's no way anyone on the offense shouldn't have been on notice after that abysmal wasting of a top 5 defense.

Those who wanted him gone and celebrating his departure - careful what you wish for. IMHO, Marrone was not the problem with this organization. OC and OL coach both were far bigger issues and now the baby has decided to jump before the bath water was readying for being thrown out.

He just asked for extensions for his OC and OL and that is why he is gone.

Very surprised. Love to read the details when they finally come out.

While I wanted continuity, this is an opportunity to upgrade. The Bills job looks a WHOLE LOT BETTER now than it did when Doug signed.

I'm all in with The Chin.

I was just making mountains out of mole hills when I said the events seemed to be adding up publicly and there were likely more behind closed doors!

I'm surprised he's gone this year, but not shocked to hear it was very close to unworkable keeping him.

Nice call. I never saw it coming...mostly because we have him his chance as a HC. I suppose he believes some of the rhetoric from Schefter (highly sought after) and thinks he will be in demand. We shall see.

Is anyone seriously sad that he is leaving? Even if Schwartz goes too, this defense is a top-5 unit; 9-win club. I have to think people will be jumping to come here.

I'm sad if they bring a replacement who's worse. Say whatever you want about the talent, I was happy to have a coach who delivered the first winning season in a decade.

Now if the Chin or Tony Dungy replace Marrone, I'll be doing cartwheels.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason. Unfortunately, I think a lot of HC candidates are going to be reluctant to take over a team without a proven QB.

Will it be easy to lure a good HC with no 1st round pick and unproven QBs on the roster? A defensive minded coach would be all over the team but it will be very hard sell.

Great D, New owner. Team went 9-7 with some inept offensive coaching. OL problem is mostly a guard issue, so it shouldn't be hard to fix in the offseason. This looks like a GREAT job now, IMO.