Is it interesting that Terry & Kim Pegula have been silent?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes absolutely as their records as owners are fine examples to follow.

Good grief is it that unusual to think a new owner might have something to say when his newly purchased team gets themselves eliminated from the playoff hunt by being manhandled by a two win team?

No. Not at all. Good owners do not flap their gums about the team they own. They take care of business inside, not out.

I posted it elsewhere, but I will post it here as well, as it is relevant.

We woke up one morning just over a year ago and found out (after a nice win) that Darcy AND the head coach were fired. Then there was a press conference that morning with two Sabres icons: LaFontaine and Ted Nolan.

NOBODY (and I mean freaking NOBODY) was hinting at that. Yes, there were reports that Darcy could be out, but nobody reported anything even close to what happened. Because if they did, they would have been mocked and ridiculed because it sounded like fantasy land.

For those who are primarily Bills fans, it would be a little bit like waking up tomorrow and finding out that Marrone and Whaley were gone, Wade Phillips was hired as interim HC, and Bill Polian was in as President of Football Ops and would find and hire his GM, who would decide on Wade long-term.

It was that shocking. Nolan's departure here was BITTER and ugly. Pat was somewhere in the league offices. There was no President of Hockey Operations.

My point? The Pegulas obviously lined that all up, got everything in order, and then pulled the trigger.

Russ is not going to be ordering everyone around over there soon. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a President of Football Operations come in with Russ as President of Business Operations, both reporting to Kim, with Whaley staying on as GM and Marrone as HC but with a big $$ OC brought in. Marrone would be dumb to fight it, since it could only help him succeed.

If he did, we need only point to Lafontaine's short tenure here as evidence that the Pegulas run their teams.

Not sure what to make of the fact that they have said very little following the purchase of the franchise. I guess they are going to let the season close out and then do whatever it is they are going to do. The reality is that if they are going to make any significant changes they likely need to do so relatively quickly in order to have preparation time for the draft.

Their MO is to be quiet, so not surprised, hopefully they take a run at Harbaugh.

We woke up one morning just over a year ago and found out (after a nice win) that Darcy AND the head coach were fired. Then there was a press conference that morning with two Sabres icons: LaFontaine and Ted Nolan.

NOBODY (and I mean freaking NOBODY) was hinting at that. Yes, there were reports that Darcy could be out, but nobody reported anything even close to what happened. Because if they did, they would have been mocked and ridiculed because it sounded like fantasy land.

For those who are primarily Bills fans, it would be a little bit like waking up tomorrow and finding out that Marrone and Whaley were gone, Wade Phillips was hired as interim HC, and Bill Polian was in as President of Football Ops and would find and hire his GM, who would decide on Wade long-term.

It was that shocking. Nolan's departure here was BITTER and ugly. Pat was somewhere in the league offices. There was no President of Hockey Operations.

My point? The Pegulas obviously lined that all up, got everything in order, and then pulled the trigger.

Russ is not going to be ordering everyone around over there soon. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a President of Football Operations come in with Russ as President of Business Operations, both reporting to Kim, with Whaley staying on as GM and Marrone as HC but with a big $$ OC brought in. Marrone would be dumb to fight it, since it could only help him succeed.

If he did, we need only point to Lafontaine's short tenure here as evidence that the Pegulas run their teams.

Given how the LaFontaine hire was hatched aboard Pegula's yacht down in FLA, I wonder who he's had aboard as a guest recently. Hmm.

Anyway, GREAT point about the silence with which Pegula has done things in the past. I'll bet nobody in the local media will scoop his first major move with the Bills, either.

GO BILLS!!!

interesting. Thanks for the analogies as I don't really follow the Sabres. It is a good point about guys like Polian and Wade, who had issues at one time with Ralph but none of that matters now. Not saying I am advocating for either one, just that we really don't know what to expect.

"Silent" owners? Good. This is a competitive league. I'd rather have someone with a bit of a poker face pulling the strings. No thanks to the Dan Snyder approach.

Let's give the owners a chance to figure this out. I imagine there has to be a learning curve with a billion dollar purchase...and the Pegulas bought the team two months ago. I.e. less than 10 weeks. Let's not forget the alternatives that were out there including those who were less than Buffalo friendly. The albatross that was the threat of moving no longer exists. This is a great time to be a Bills fan and the Pegulas (and Ralph) are the primary reasons. As for the team, I'm not only hopeful for the future; I'm also very thankful that they have a future in Buffalo.

Terry specifically said in an interview that he was uncomfortable being the center of attention. He also stated that he hated taking questions from the media as the Sabres owner especially when he was constantly being asked about Ruff, Regier, Rolston, and LaFontaine and he consciously became less accessible to the media because of it. I chalk it up to those two things and those two things only.

Edited by Mark80

It think it is safe to assume that they did not want to interfere with the day to day business of operations especially since the Bills were doing OK and staying competitive for a playoff spot. I suspect that if the season went off the rails weeks ago, that we would have seen more activity from the Pegula's and gotten a glimpse at the plan. With the end of the season quickly approaching and the playoff hopes out the window, I would imagine we will start to see information trickling out and speculation to begin about potential changes and moves.

you mean rumors. I don't think we will hear anything from ownership until it's finalized. Edited by klos63

I think they knew well enough to stay out of things while a season was underway, particularly since the Bills showed improvement. Now that the season is effectively over, I would imagine we'll soon find out what changes are coming (i.e., consultant, etc.).

Exactly, in my opinion. Pegula is smart enough to realize what he doesn't know regarding professional football and will wait to hear from a consultant that he trusts before saying or doing much more than the PR stuff he has done to this point. People used to B word about how much Mr. Wilson "meddled", now those same people seem to want Mr. Pegula to do that same thing.

No. Not at all. Good owners do not flap their gums about the team they own. They take care of business inside, not out.

While we hate the team let's look to Kraft as an owner who has got it right. Kraft is not as vocal as Jones or Snyder but does make his presence known. He also has, as judged by results, staffed his organization with the right people. It is my sincere hope that Terry and Kim do find this balance and mix. There is no need to be a loudmouth owner but there are other examples of success that show they also do not need to be silent.

Keep in mind they may remain silent through this offseason also and make no changes with the Bills. I believe that there is a better than even chance this happens. If so, it is my opinion, worth only the Internet space it is conveyed in, that they are then throwing away a season with a HC who has no business being one. Honestly, of all of the coaches we have had over this 15 years of ineptness I would have to say Marrone is the worst. He had the most talent of any roster over that 15 year stretch and simply wasted it. I get it that he was not lucky enough to have the QB he might have hoped for but decisions with the O-line and his OC both within his span of control were atrocious.

His benching of Urbick was plain stupid and his decision to play pears at G was even more so.

I know Jauron is probably neck in neck by the way but I do believe that even skeletor would have eeked out more wins with this roster.

Pegula hired a big time consultant in order to buy the Bills, he will do the same on the management of the business. At the scale he operates at, nobody can be an expert in everything. Still, what might transpire is interesting to say the least, and I wonder who a good consultant might be. The Pegula's got it done on the purchase, I am guessing they will do the same on the team management side. The lack of long term success is troubling however, and the real question is whether there is something systemic in the Bills organization that has caused the 15 year playoff drought. I, for one, think the pending sale/move of the team because of an octagenarian owner was a disincentive to talent to come here. Thats gone now, and I think better days are ahead.

As far as consultants in general though, we had a saying "A consultant tells you what time it is with your own clock" So, they might not have a lot to offer...we'll see.

Edited by bigK14094

All this talk about the Pegulas hiring a football "expert" or "tzar" to come in, look over the organization, and set things right makes me laugh. I guess they'll go down to the football guru shelf at Target and get one off the shelf. Who is this magic person, and if he is such a genius why isn't he working for another team right now? It's like saying the Bills will just go out and hire a franchise QB and he will fix everything. Right. Got it.

If he hires some MBA corporate management expert, that is not going to do the job. Plus, most of those outside consultants who come into businesses in order to shake things up and make the trains run on time end up making a bad situation worse.

I see that they will want to seek advice, but the idea that some mysterious Man in Black is going to ride into town and see things that nobody else can see, and make suggestions that nobody else can make, is a joke.

ONE MORE RANT: If I see another sentence saying that the Bills gave up two number one picks in order to move up and draft Watkins, I am going to send a letter bomb to the writer. The Bills gave up their 2015 number one and number four picks to move up. Yes, they also gave up their 2014 number one, but they got Cleveland's number one in return. To say that the Bills gave up TWO number ones is either dishonest (trying to make the decision seem worse than it was) or idiotic.

Que up Jerry Sullivan's latest column. Maybe I'll send that letter bomb anyway

Article in the NY Daily News today about the Jets hiring Casserly suggests that Polian and Accorsi were unavailable as consultants (Polian because of his ESPN contract and Accorsi because he serves on the NFL Advisory Committee). I think Wolf is also on the Advisory Committee. Not sure where that leaves the Bills if they want to hire a consultant.

Article in the NY Daily News today about the Jets hiring Casserly suggests that Polian and Accorsi were unavailable as consultants (Polian because of his ESPN contract and Accorsi because he serves on the NFL Advisory Committee). I think Wolf is also on the Advisory Committee. Not sure where that leaves the Bills if they want to hire a consultant.

Searching somewhere other than in the dinosaur department?

Maybe they can buy a fathead and stick it on the wall.

All this talk about the Pegulas hiring a football "expert" or "tzar" to come in, look over the organization, and set things right makes me laugh. I guess they'll go down to the football guru shelf at Target and get one off the shelf. Who is this magic person, and if he is such a genius why isn't he working for another team right now? It's like saying the Bills will just go out and hire a franchise QB and he will fix everything. Right. Got it.

If he hires some MBA corporate management expert, that is not going to do the job. Plus, most of those outside consultants who come into businesses in order to shake things up and make the trains run on time end up making a bad situation worse.

I see that they will want to seek advice, but the idea that some mysterious Man in Black is going to ride into town and see things that nobody else can see, and make suggestions that nobody else can make, is a joke.

ONE MORE RANT: If I see another sentence saying that the Bills gave up two number one picks in order to move up and draft Watkins, I am going to send a letter bomb to the writer. The Bills gave up their 2015 number one and number four picks to move up. Yes, they also gave up their 2014 number one, but they got Cleveland's number one in return. To say that the Bills gave up TWO number ones is either dishonest (trying to make the decision seem worse than it was) or idiotic.

actually, hiring a czar will be easier than finding a franchise QB.

#1- ernie accorsi - tie in at penn st

#2- bill polian - success with bills, panthers and colts

i'm sure pegula's can come up with a fancier title other than consultant.

Edited by papazoid

actually, hiring a czar will be easier than finding a franchise QB.

#1- ernie accorsi - tie in at penn st

#2- bill polian - success with bills, panthers and colts

i'm sure pegula's can come up with a fancier title other than consultant.

I take your point, but my point is, why should we trust this person to be able to make better decisions than the people we have already? I can hear you say, "There's no way they could be worse." I get it, but the flip side of them being an outsider is that they also don't know the pieces of the puzzle as well. Whaley, it seems to me, has made very credible decisions and given whoever the coach is a lot to work with. Even his drafting of Manuel is defensible, given where they were at the time.

I don't think Polian is available. I will say here that when Ralph fired Polian back in the Super Bowl years, I thought he fired the wrong guy and should have dumped Marv. Poilian gave Marv an absurdly talented roster and Marv managed to coach them to losing to a Giants team they should have beaten, and to getting blown out by the Redskins and Cowboys.

I've been following this team since the mid-1960s and Ralph Wilson was the problem. You could count on Ralph to meddle and get rid of people like Polian and Butler. Maybe the Pegulas will do better, but I'm in "prove it" mode.

I don’t get people’s obsession with Terry Pegula not speaking to media frequently. Is he mandated to talk to the media like NFL players are? No. Is Pegula supposed to speak to the media every week, every month? Did Ralph Wilson talk to the media frequently? No.

One thing is for sure, Terry & Kim Pegula are not Dan Snyder, meaning they do not make snap decisions by firing people in a short amount of time. They’re both smart business professionals and will make changes when they see that what’s in front of them is not working. They like to give people a fair chance to make things work. IMO, a lot of Sabres fans are a bunch of cry-babies as they feel Terry Pegula owes them something… “Uncle Terry didn’t fire Ruff and Regier as soon as he bought the team;” “Uncle Terry doesn’t talk to the media;” “Uncle Terry promised me the Stanley Cup in three years.”

I take your point, but my point is, why should we trust this person to be able to make better decisions than the people we have already? I can hear you say, "There's no way they could be worse." I get it, but the flip side of them being an outsider is that they also don't know the pieces of the puzzle as well. Whaley, it seems to me, has made very credible decisions and given whoever the coach is a lot to work with. Even his drafting of Manuel is defensible, given where they were at the time.

I don't think Polian is available. I will say here that when Ralph fired Polian back in the Super Bowl years, I thought he fired the wrong guy and should have dumped Marv. Poilian gave Marv an absurdly talented roster and Marv managed to coach them to losing to a Giants team they should have beaten, and to getting blown out by the Redskins and Cowboys.

I've been following this team since the mid-1960s and Ralph Wilson was the problem. You could count on Ralph to meddle and get rid of people like Polian and Butler. Maybe the Pegulas will do better, but I'm in "prove it" mode.

for starters, the pegula's management style will be hands on the business side with kim overseeing russ, but turning over the keys to football people to manage player personnel decisions.

wether it's whaley (who deserves 1 more year)or someone higher, as usual we are left hoping for the best. the two gents i named both have proven track records. who knows if either is interested. so much easier being a talking head on tv or an executive in a cushy league office.

What should they be saying at this point? They are hopefully seeking the best possible advice on how to proceed and their actions will speak louder then words. The only ones who should be speaking are the fans, saying over and over again "Thank you."

Exactly! They have done just what I would have hoped for so far.

the first order of business for the Pegula's will be to hire a football "czar".

I vote for Ron Jaworski. The guy knows his football. He'll look at hundreds of hours of film and tell them the talent was greater than the productivity. The coaches for the Offense were not getting the best out of their players.

By the way, I probably missed others pointing it out, but I found it interesting that Chris Simms on the Raiders' game broadcast was singing praises for the job that Hackett was doing. What the...?? He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, unlike his dad.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

The football czars are on the shelf next to the franchise quarterbacks.

doesn't mean anything. Contract would probably be up after the season. Plus I'm sure there are outs.