If I could change 1 thing about E J

When Trent was here 1 very noticeable trait he had was demanding a coat on his shoulders for every time out. Before talking to the coach, or showing leadership he was focused on himself not the game. I hated this action. A real leader would not even think of the coat. JK showed toughness Trent showed he was a wimp.

EJ now wears a closed front helmet with visor. The spacing in the eye area is small with extra bars and then a visor added. His vision is restricted and most important in the huddle eye contact with his teammates is interfered with. Real winning QBs like Manning (2), Brady, Russell Wilson, Favre, Cutler, Roethlisberger want to see, be seen by teammates, and show emotion and strength in the huddle. Can you imagine JK chewing out House Ballard hiding behind a shield, Many QBs used to unstrap the helmet in the huddle to look at teammates in the eyes and then snap it at the line. EJ hides. RBs and Lineman can hide, QBs have to lead.

This is an observation but in my thoughts one that is troubling. (ps, changing the helmet does not make him a leader but using it is a symbol of isolation rather than strength of leadership.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would chose either "the ability to anticipate receivers who are about to come open" or "better accuracy". Seriously, who gives a rat's ass if he wears a visor or wants a jacket on the sidelines? Do you think anyone cares about this crap if the QB in question has proven himself to be a quality NFL QB? If Manuel improves I hope we can put all this stuff behind us.

I'm not sure I read this correctly but I think you said...

"Man, if I could have ANYTHING in the world. Just one wish? I'd really love some salt on these greasy, undercooked french fries!"

You don't want fresher fries? Less grease? A better cook?

Seriously though, I don't doubt EJ as a leader. And I certainly don't believe his helmet is making him less of a player.

Still burns me that Russell Wilson was there for us ---and we picked a loser WR from a garbage program. We wouldn't be having all of this EJ talk...

sorry.

... I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but... Graham and Wilson both went to NC State... Maybe they didn't pick Wilson because he went to a "garbage program"?

Last time I checked, Kutztown has a garbage program, too...

Still burns me that Russell Wilson was there for us ---and we picked a loser WR from a garbage program. We wouldn't be having all of this EJ talk...

sorry.

Very likely that Wilson wouldn't have developed the same in Buffalo. Coaching is a big part of most QBs development, and we've lacked decent coaching for a long while now.

sorry.

since when is NC St a garbage program? Smh

I'm sure they would like that pick back. The GM isn't in that role anymore. Time to move on.

Edited by YoloinOhio

When Trent was here 1 very noticeable trait he had was demanding a coat on his shoulders for every time out. Before talking to the coach, or showing leadership he was focused on himself not the game. I hated this action. A real leader would not even think of the coat. JK showed toughness Trent showed he was a wimp.

EJ now wears a closed front helmet with visor. The spacing in the eye area is small with extra bars and then a visor added. His vision is restricted and most important in the huddle eye contact with his teammates is interfered with. Real winning QBs like Manning (2), Brady, Russell Wilson, Favre, Cutler, Roethlisberger want to see, be seen by teammates, and show emotion and strength in the huddle. Can you imagine JK chewing out House Ballard hiding behind a shield, Many QBs used to unstrap the helmet in the huddle to look at teammates in the eyes and then snap it at the line. EJ hides. RBs and Lineman can hide, QBs have to lead.

This is an observation but in my thoughts one that is troubling. (ps, changing the helmet does not make him a leader but using it is a symbol of isolation rather than strength of leadership.)

Seriously??? This is the 1 thing you would change?? How about changing his anticipation? He's wearing the exact same facemask as he did last year but has added a clear visor. So there are no extra bars blocking his vision. Maybe he got poked in the eye at one point and wants to protect against that. Cam Newton also wore a clear visor all of last season, possibly for his whole career. Come on man!!!

I read that he would need a medical reason to wear in a real game. It's all good.

I believe you only need the medical waiver to wear a tinted visor, not a clear one. Stevie wore a clear one for parts of his time in Buffalo as well.

You mean Trent was also a coat wearing Mary? I missed that one.

As for EJ I think you are right despite all of the criticism you have received. The visor thing denotes an aura of selfishness as you point out. I noticed this even before you did. On draft night EJ wore a pink tie to honor his mother's struggles with breast cancer. At first look this was a nice gesture and a shout out to his mom. I believe he meant it to be just that and his selfishness was sublimational. But his pink tie had stripes, which are manly and an attempt to show his masculine side. It should have been a more feminine tie if he really wanted to highlight his mom. Maybe something flowery.

Anyway the tie is the 2nd thing I would change about EJ. The first thing I would change about him is his OC. I feel he would benefit from working with someone that needs to shave in the morning.

Edited by 4merper4mer

sorry.

Ha! The further you get from it, it just seems worse and worse. Didn't want to damage Ryan Pickspatrick's delicate ego by drafting a quarterback to develop/as an insurance policy. Because he was the franchise baby!! Oh Buddy. Dagumit all.

sorry.

Apology not accepted...I wanted him badly, as well.

I like EJ quite a bit and I know that we wouldn't have the same Wilson as Seattle has now. However, it would have opened up different options for our drafting from last year to this.

sorry.

Agree'd Sometimes the past Bills leaders were more like the blind leading the blind ! Hopefully Whaley will be the new era to the Bills changing things around !

I just hope if he doesn't see all that it takes from EJ to put our team where it needs to be he's not afraid to pull the trigger . But if laying back & putting all your eggs in EJ's basket this year with all of the talent that was in this draft at the QB position (compared to EJ's draft class) & not picking up a insurance policy like the Redskins did i just hope DJ see's what he needs to see in EJ ...

I do not agree that we would have had a different iteration of Russell Wilson. The kid had a winners mentality that was there for all to see, he was a 2 sport success which tells you a lot about drive/commitment/character, he has the smarts, the arm, the athleticism and the leadership capabilities.....they were all there to see at the lead-up to the draft (and were discussed by many on this board). The point is that, even though we don't have the same supporting cast as SEA, you would still see these same qualities come out provided he had the stage to perform.

We would have seen enough to feel good about the QB position today

(I totally fuk'd up where TJ went to school...I got it crossed with our other loser WR pick from UConn - was thinking UConn...SORRY about that!)

Edited by filthymcnasty08

sorry.

It still burns me that Joe Montana was there in round three for us instead of John Borchardt… And Tom Brady was there for us around six instead of Leif Larson...

Ok. So the original post is pretty absurd. But, keep in mind, much of the apparrell that players wear is required by the NFL, and their marketing department. QB's are the most visible players on the field, normally... you may not believe it, and I am not 100% certain in this case, but often, when you see a guy getting draped in a coat, or putting on a wool cap, even though he is clearly sweating his nads off, it is becasue they are required to do it. I think it was Tim Hasselback, or maybe it was Dilfer, a few years ago, talking about this...it was one of the bald, or balding QBs. He said "the last thing I want to do, when I am playing a game in Miami in September, is throw on a ball cap...but I am required to, you just get used to it"

I am sure some guys do things as a matter of personal preference (Rob Johnson and those freaking bandanas!), but a lot of it is required. The visor thing is widespread in training camps this season. I would bet, players are getting a few bucks to sport them.

Ha! The further you get from it, it just seems worse and worse. Didn't want to damage Ryan Pickspatrick's delicate ego by drafting a quarterback to develop/as an insurance policy. Because he was the franchise baby!! Oh Buddy. Dagumit all.

Well, they are doing the same thing with their current starter. zero competition. But I get it he has only

Played 10 games in the NFL and was hurt for the rest. So massage his ego and tell him he's the man. is there anywhere else where this has worked? Seriously do not know. Winning teams don't do this.

if he goes down with a serious injury this year then what? Does anyone think the backups can win even 2 in a row. the season

Will be flushed, along with a bunch of jobs on OBD. Honestly, I would have no problem with that either. The rebuild is 14+ years, what is 4-5 more going to hurt.

The TJ Graham pick and they moved up for it, may be worse than signing Merriman. No it is worse, we could have had a darn good QB. The question is could they have developed him.

You mean Trent was also a coat wearing Mary? I missed that one.

As for EJ I think you are right despite all of the criticism you have received. The visor thing denotes an aura of selfishness as you point out. I noticed this even before you did. On draft night EJ wore a pink tie to honor his mother's struggles with breast cancer. At first look this was a nice gesture and a shout out to his mom. I believe he meant it to be just that and his selfishness was sublimational. But his pink tie had stripes, which are manly and an attempt to show his masculine side. It should have been a more feminine tie if he really wanted to highlight his mom. Maybe something flowery.

Anyway the tie is the 2nd thing I would change about EJ. The first thing I would change about him is his OC. I feel he would benefit from working with someone that needs to shave in the morning.

What if the visor, if it is tinted, is to hide his eyes from the defense? What if the visor reduces glare? What if nobody give a shite about this....

This visor looks pretty clear to me..... If i can see his eyes, i think someone standing next to him in the huddle can....

080814_ej-manuel_600.jpg%20

I feel like I have seen him in a tinted visor in practice. There are still a ton of players who wear them. I am sure a "medical reason" is not hard to prove for stuff like this. Most likely about as difficult as getting some medical Mary Jane in certain states.

Well, they are doing the same thing with their current starter. zero competition. But I get it he has only

Played 10 games in the NFL and was hurt for the rest. So massage his ego and tell him he's the man. is there anywhere else where this has worked? Seriously do not know. Winning teams don't do this.

if he goes down with a serious injury this year then what? Does anyone think the backups can win even 2 in a row. the season

Will be flushed, along with a bunch of jobs on OBD. Honestly, I would have no problem with that either. The rebuild is 14+ years, what is 4-5 more going to hurt.

The TJ Graham pick and they moved up for it, may be worse than signing Merriman. No it is worse, we could have had a darn good QB. The question is could they have developed him.

Geez, people need to get off of Wilsons n***..... He was a better pick than Graham obviously, but Seattle had him starting backup to Flynn if you remember, Despite what people claim, most did not "know" he was going to be a decent qb, and the jury is still out if he is going to be a great qb. Also who does Seattle have to backup Wilson? Jackson and Pryor? Why didn't they draft someone "just in case" to develop and stuff?

Its a whole bunch of what ifs and its obnoxious. For every Russell Wilson we could've picked up "as a diamond in the rough" there are a few other QBs we could have wasted picked on too. Just because you witnessed one (russell wilson), or two (tom brady) does not mean we should start wasting draft picks hoping to find one as well.