The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

Just now, LabattBlue said:

All the WR’s on the board have some warts to their game.  To me the question becomes, which one(s) can step in and become a quality starter week 1?

To me the question becomes:  which one will make a play when you need it in the playoffs.  

32 minutes ago, 518Buffalo said:

I find myself largely agreeing with Joe Marino here, Legette at 32 would have been nice but if you told me before the draft we could move down 5 spots and get back in the 3rd round (and upgrade a day 3 pick) I would have taken it. If we wake up tomorrow with DeJean, Franklin and somebody else I'll be thrilled. I can get excited for Mitchell but I don't understand the McConkey love - maybe someone who watches more college football than I do can explain the appeal behind a guy with his mediocre production and good but not elite tools

There's probably nothing wrong with his production.  He had over 50 receptions in 2022 and probably would have done so again this year if not for missing time with injuries.  Further,  going back to 2018,  he's the only Georgia WR with 50 receptions in a single season (Bowers did it twice at TE). So that's likely a byproduct of their offensive system.  

Combine and pro day testing numbers for speed, agility and short area burst were all well into the higher end of the range and I think it shows up on the field.  He's below Thomas and Franklin,  but he can run past people on deep routes.  He's got the quickness to snap off his routes as well as anyone.  And I thought he was the best RAC guy by a fair margin of the higher tier prospects I watched,  especially in traffic (I did not bother with MHJ or Nabers).  I think there's a lot to like there and he's likely to become a very good flanker or slot in the NFL,  assuming he's healthy.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, 518Buffalo said:

I find myself largely agreeing with Joe Marino here, Legette at 32 would have been nice but if you told me before the draft we could move down 5 spots and get back in the 3rd round (and upgrade a day 3 pick) I would have taken it. If we wake up tomorrow with DeJean, Franklin and somebody else I'll be thrilled. I can get excited for Mitchell but I don't understand the McConkey love - maybe someone who watches more college football than I do can explain the appeal behind a guy with his mediocre production and good but not elite tools

I would be very OK with McConkey. Great route runner and great hands. 

physical traits and combine numbers almost identical to Garret Wilson. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As I’ve often said, people get WAY too hung up on which Round a player is taken in. 

That’s not my point.  I am arguing that if they really liked any the WR they would have taken one at 28 or 32.  The flip side would be that they liked so many equally that they felt they could trade down. 

Im just guessing, but based on Beane’s comment that they will get call for pick 33, I think he is looking to trade down again- likely because they aren’t crazy about any of the remaining receivers.

I'm absolutely fine with taking DeJean if they mortgage some picks from next year (like the 2nd we picked up) to get back in and grab 2 WRs like McConkey/Franklin/Mitchell. 

Everything is definitely still fine, but I can understand everyone's apprehension. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone know recent draft history when 33 was traded and what the return was?

the 33rd pick hasn’t been traded for quite awhile at least from a team moving back it’s been traded into a lot like the Bills did

Edited by gonzo1105

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s such a lame point anymore.  Players hardly play under the fifth year option anymore.  Usually get extended before that 

Ya but their extension kicks in after the 5th year option.

Extreme example as Josh is a QB and they get paid more, but Bills had 5 years of control with Josh before his huge extension kicked in.

Same with Ed Oliver

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Are people hating on Cooper DeJean because they don’t want a defensive player? Even if he is clearly the best available in a pretty thin safety class?

I don't think anyone is hating on him.  He is a very good player.  I think people, including myself, don't view his position as the biggest need right now, though yes it is a need. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Are people hating on Cooper DeJean because they don’t want a defensive player? Even if he is clearly the best available in a pretty thin safety class?

I’m okay with Cooper if it’s the pick but I’m more concerned with what their plan is at WR and adding more playmakers to the offense! It’s an arms race on offense and we seem to be very complacent while other contenders load up. 

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I'd be fine with it,  but I think he's a zone CB and more of a projection to safety.  I'd give him his first shot at the former and only switch him to the latter if he fails at CB. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The dream is still very much alive. Draft two of these WRs in R2, likely with a medium trade up from #60:

Coleman

Franklin

Mitchell

McConkey

Polk

BPA at #95, perhaps with a small trade up to get a true 3rd round graded player.

This is my list too. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yes.  I wanted Worthy or Leggette.  Buffalo did not.  The 2 highest rated players available are Newton or Dejean.  Most cases you are not exchanging players you picking.  I think they asked offense or defense.  Big or small.  Sorry to break it to some but they are not drafting a wr at 33.  Its Dejean at S, Newton at DT maybe Powers Johnson or Fraizer at C as a long shot.  Consensus will have Newton and Dejean as the beat availble. 

60 and 95 will be wr imo.  I think 1 of them is Burton from Alabama. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta go with DeJean here -- he's so versatile and a great pick.  They have enough to move back up in the second round and get a receiver.  But you're not going to get another crack at a no-risk pick like DeJean to fill a huge need.

• Like (+1) 1

RE: Adonai Mitchell -

Ive seen unnamed scouts talk about him being an issue, ‘uncoachable” was the term used. Some unspecified characters concerns and him struggling to manage his diabetes.

NFL.com and some other big time scouting reports mention zero issues. There have been zero articles written, no specific details alluding to situations or events.

Does anyone have any info on these character ‘red flags?’ He’s likely the highest potential WR on the board still, and I’d take him at 33 if the character checks out. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To me the question becomes:  which one will make a play when you need it in the playoffs.  

this year it may be both, unless you are putting a lot of weight on Josh early in the season

It is a challenging crossroads 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

I don't think anyone is hating on him.  He is a very good player.  I think people, including myself, don't view his position as the biggest need right now, though yes it is a need. 

I think the gap between Dejean and Newton compared other S or DT prospects at 60 is wider than Mitchell or Mcconkey and Wr available at 60. Alot of teams picked a wr in rd 1.  Probably expect them to go elsewhere rd 2.  Beane very well could get a wr at 60 many want at 33.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ive seen unnamed scouts talk about him being an issue, ‘uncoachable” was the term used. Some unspecified characters concerns and him struggling to manage his diabetes.

NFL.com and some other big time scouting reports mention zero issues. There have been zero articles written, no specific details alluding to situations or events.

Does anyone have any info on these character ‘red flags?’ He’s likely the highest potential WR on the board still, and I’d take him at 33 if the character checks out. 

We’ll never get the real truth, but I think it’s safe to say that so far, the market has spoken for itself…

• Like (+1) 1

I'm reordering my top three a bit. I had it as DeJean,  McConkey and Franklin,  but I'm swapping spots,  moving Franklin to 1 and DeJean to 3.  I'm starting to think that,  because DeJean is sort of an unusual/rare traits type of prospect,  they would have likely selected him if they really wanted him rather than risk losing him,  especially to Baltimore,  who took a CB.  

So I'm thinking this draft now goes: 

33) Franklin or McConkey (possibly trading down again and still picking one of these two)

60) Safety...Seems to be where the pure safety value is.

95) WR...the more traditional X position guy...might trade up for someone like Walker.  

Day three...heavy emphasis on defensive depth and developmental guys. Maybe a good center prospect early.  

Edited by Brandon

I see what is out there today from a trade perspective first - but honestly i probably take the dejean.  I think he becomes a day 1 starter at the weakest part of your defense.  If you see the potential for the guy to be an all-pro on your defense, i do see how that could be valuable.  We really are a team that needs more star players.  

There are still free agent safeties available (as well as WRs) - Simmons, Jackson, even a Hyde reunion.  

As for WR - you have 2 in the 2nd next year that you can potentially move with a later pick to try and still double dip at WR if there are 2 you like.  

I'm serious when I say I hope we go with FS Cooper DeJean.  Read on before the barf emoji....  lol

Looking at the board, he's clearly the BPA at a position of need.  What a slip.  He is Eric Weddle 2.0, and we lost both our star safeties without properly replacing them....  FS is a very high need.

Hoping to TRADE UP from 60 to grab one of the following WRs:

Adonai Mitchell

Ja'Lynn Polk

Failing that, there are plenty of options to fill the role we need:

Jalen McMillan

Jermaine Burton

Brenden Rice (son of Rice... I mean c'mon...)

Javon Baker

Luke McCaffrey (field stretcher)

DO 

NOT 

PANIC

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I believe what i read was dogging routes when he doesn't think he'll get the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Anyone think one of these two wrestling centers- Powers-Johnson and Frazier- might be in play?

I think it's interior OL, DeJean, or another trade back.

I’ve been surprised there’s not more talk of JPJ or Kool-Aid. Both great fits in our schemes, good/great value and spots of fairly significant need. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm the Bills, I'm calling Carolina again.  They dont have a second round pick next year.

Trade 60, our second next year for 39 this year.  

At 33 and 39, you could double on WR or take DeJean and probably end up with one of Mitchell, McConkey or Franklin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

I’ve been surprised there’s not more talk of JPJ or Kool-Aid. Both great fits in our schemes, good/great value and spots of fairly significant need. 

I wouldn't be thrilled with a corner.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

All I know is whoever we draft today is “who we wanted all along” lol 

“We actually had a first round grade on blank, our last first round grade just sticking out at pick 60.”

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SWATeam said:

I wouldn't be thrilled with a corner.

Not advocating for it necessarily, just saying that he feels like he checks a lot of the boxes. Certainly enough to at least be discussed

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think he is not our board.

I say Franklin/McConkey/Coleman or DeJean.

And than trade up a little bit in 2nd and 3rd to find some other starters.

why would Mitchell be off the board?

38 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He played one snap at safety last year, all the rest at CB. Not saying he can't play safety, but Iowa just didn't use him as one

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I’d be fine with JPJ and a WR.  Then another WR later. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Process said:

Well that was an interesting end to the night to say the least. Traded twice to teams that took WRs......

We now have 20 hours to discuss our first pick. 

If the Bills simply like someone like Mitchell more, and take him at 33, I am fine with the trades, actually they would be nice moves. 

If they traded picks that ended up being Worthy and Leggette and then take a freaking safety from Iowa, it's time to take the pitchforks out.

Who are your best remaining and who do you want them to pick?

I agree on taking Mitchell on day 2.

20 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Welcome to Buffalo Ayouk!!! Love it!

For two 2nd round pix. Beane just fleeced everyone!!! Love it. You watch.

I could be convinced to send them Pick 60 for Aiyuk.  Definitely not 33, let alone both. 

He's going to command 30M per year.  No way I'm trading away heavy pick premium for the right to pay a dude all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I could be convinced to send them Pick 60 for Aiyuk.  Definitely not 33, let alone both. 

He's going to command 30M per year.  No way I'm trading away heavy pick premium for the right to pay a dude all that. 

Yeah 2 2s is too rich for a guy they have to move. Especially with a number of other quality vet wrs reportedly on the market. Fortunately that’s types of trades, when they happen, are rarely ever close to the rumored price. 

• Like (+1) 1