The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

It’s more that you allowed your hated conference rival and defending champion to get THEIR guy. 

They were getting him regardless if we didn't trade.  At least this way we took away some of their draft capital.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Comparison of the Bills picks at beginning of the draft and now:

Original

28, 60, 128, 133, 144, 160, 163, 200, 204, 248

Now

33, 60, 95, 128, 141, 144, 160, 163, 204, 221

Analysis:

Picks retained: 60, 128, 144, 160, 163, 204

Trade down from 28 to 33 (-5)

Trade up from:

133 to 95  (+38)

200 to 141 (+59)

248 to 221  (+27)

That's good maneuvering presuming that their WR is still available.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Roundybout said:

It’s more that you allowed your hated conference rival and defending champion to get THEIR guy. 

Right but if we weren't taking Worthy, I highly doubt anyone else before the Chiefs would have either. So it simply comes down to the fact that we didn't value Worthy in the 1st round. KC gave us a 3rd to draft a player they probably would have gotten anyways.

• Like (+1) 4

Mitchell or Franklin.  Beane has played his cards right so far.  

All is not lost.  I wasn't high on Worthy or Leggette, but am a bit worried thinking about what Reid can scheme up for Worthy.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

Something big is going to happen tomorrow. Tonight was so unlike Beane.

I agree, I think they are going to package picks for a vet. Sutton, Deebo, Auiyuk, Higgins, etc.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Would people be happy if the Bills came out of tomorrow with the double dip we wanted at WR with Aiyuk and Franklin?

No 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Original

Now

Analysis:

Trade up from:

133 to 95  (+38)

200 to 141 (+59)

248 to 221  (+27)

I'm not even sure they are taking one. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down again or trade the pick for a WR on a roster already.

Or take Cooper Dejean.

Just now, Putin said:

No 

Agree, I just think we are trying to get value and highest picks based on our draft board. I don’t mind trading down more as long as whim we covet is still there where we want him. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Something big is going to happen tomorrow. Tonight was so unlike Beane.

Yes will have even more draft picks by the end of the night 

39 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We spent a lot of time with DeJean, Franklin and Walker pre-draft. I think tomorrow, we either go DeJean and Walker, or Franklin and ??

I don't even know if this is possible, but if we end up with Dejean, or one of polk/

Mitchell/walker/mconkey/Franklin, and Trey Benson. I'm doing cartwheels.

3 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Original

Now

Analysis:

Trade up from:

133 to 95  (+38)

200 to 141 (+59)

248 to 221  (+27)

Thank you for posting.  I was just figuring the difference and you saved me a lot of work.

I think Beane did good IF he is getting his WR with pick #33 that he would have taken at 28.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know Mitchell is the obvious projection, but I think we'll draft McConkey.

I'm not certain about anything.  McConkey may be a more complete receiver at this point, but the Bills may feel Mitchell has more upside due to his athleticism.  Then again, there is the nagging question of Mitchell's health long term with the alleged type 1 diabetes.   Troy Franklin is likely too much of a reach.  There are some who still think of Keon Coleman as a 2nd round value, but I just can't get past that 4.61 40.  Then the other day some pundit made the comparison between Kelvin Benjamin and Keon Coleman.  Gag!  I think the Bills feel the need for speed with KC as a perennial rival (and having just drafted Worthy), Not to mention Miami wanting to dethrone Buffalo in the AFC East with their speed.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Tonight was so unlike Beane.

It's actually just like him. What he showed us tonight is that his 1st round grade draft board dried up quickly. In 2022 he traded down multiple times in the 2nd round until finally taking Cook, because his 2nd round grades were wiped out. Beane is very consistent. He will trade up if value plus need match up. He will stay put if he has multiple players in the same tier that match the draft round. He will trade back if he has no players on his board valued in the current round.

Most evaluators see this large group of 8-10 WRs after the top three as 2nd round talents. Beane clearly agrees. So he wasn't going to reach up his board in the 1st. He got some value back and now can take those players in their proper round.

I'm pleased Beane showed some restraint. He is learning.

****Major asterisk that if he does something stupid like take Dejean at #33 I will revoke everything positive I've said about his strategy in this thread.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

It's actually just like him. What he showed us tonight is that his 1st round grade draft board dried up quickly. In 2022 he traded down multiple times in the 2nd round until finally taking Cook, because his 2nd round grades were wiped out. Beane is very consistent. He will trade up if value plus need match up. He will stay put if he has multiple players in the same tier that match the draft round. He will trade back if he has no players on his board valued in the current round.

Most evaluators see this large group of 8-10 WRs after the top three as 2nd round talents. Beane clearly agrees. So he wasn't going to reach up his board in the 1st. He got some value back and now can take those players in their proper round.

I'm pleased Beane showed some restraint. He is learning.

****Major asterisk that if he does something stupid like take Dejean at #33 I will revoke everything positive I've said about his strategy in this thread.

tell us we are trading for JJ or DK 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes will have even more draft picks by the end of the night 

Are you going to add anything worthwhile or just whine? I get it that you don’t like what happened in the first round. A lot of us have questions about it but Beane isn’t a GM that just sits there with his thumb up his ass. The man is going to strike at some point.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

We can after June 1st.  Handshake agreement?  Lol.

could be “agreed to” announced but not processed  “will become official June 2” ?

would need to be future picks though

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I actually really like Sutton. Not sure if I want to extend him though. 

Sutton we could probably make it work salary cap wise.  We can't with Aiyuk or Higgins until after June 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'm reserving judgement until I see what happens. I think something is in play outside the draft, ie, building up capital to trade for a WR on a roster already.

In a strong yr in the draft for Wrs u don't do that. 

Here's what I know:

1. We have a huge need at WR

2. This is supposed to be a deep WR class. 

3. We traded down twice, and both teams took WRS

4. Beane has to know how those 2 perform are going to be compared to the players Beane grabs

Beane must be pretty confident in his plan tomorrow. 

After the dust settles he will either look like a genius or a moron. 

Big balls right there

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Maybe you do if you have pick 28, and all the sure thing WRs are all gone.

A vet would contribute much more to winning than a rookie. Just depends on the cap hit and cost of acquisition.

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Trade for one and draft one. Nobody they pick now is walking in and being a #1 WR this year. Even if they drafted BTJ, he might not have even been a #1 WR.

The only surefire #1 WRs in the draft were the top 3.

Lots of slot WRs and guys with a lot of potential 2 and 3 WR capabilities, but we already have those.

10 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Original

Now

Analysis:

Trade up from:

133 to 95  (+38)

200 to 141 (+59)

248 to 221  (+27)

The only significant change in that heap is the addition of the 95th.  After 128th they're all 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders.  Of those six picks, we'll be lucky to see three of 'em make the roster.  

Of the 25 picks that Beane's made from 128th on, only two have become starters besides Davis, whom few thought was good.  Shakir and Benford, both from the '22 draft and both still with some TBD.  Most of those 25 picks aren't even on the team anymore if they even ever made it to begin with.  

I guess Ladd McConkey it is. I am not interested in AD Mitchell. I have to admit I was sad when Carolina picked Legette at 32, because that meant the Bills were not interested in him.

Potential trade downs from 33 with equivalent Rich Hill chart value (like the 2 previous moves)

33 + 128 to Washington for 36 + 100

33 + 204 to Carolina (lol) for 39  + 101

33 to Washington for 40 + 100

33 + 163 to Green Bay for 41 + 88

33 + 163 to Houston for 42 + 86

33 + 144 to Atlanta for 43 + 79

(didn't double check what Buffalo already traded away... tired!)

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Beane presser now. Says they never tried to move up. Ben Allbright says they did. Someone’s lying 

Not necessarily. Beane made calls. I'm certain he made calls to gauge what certain spots would cost him should someone slip and he need to make a move. Either him personally or someone on the staff. Laying groundwork. He's talked about that in the past. Doesn't mean they were trying to move.

Teams would report to insiders that they got calls from Buffalo so other teams may worry and up their price. Insiders report what they have been told.