Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Interesting. I wouldn’t be mad at either. 

I think there is a real possibility we trade back and a small chance we even end up with 4 picks in the top 100.

The cost for Higgins to Buffalo would have to be astronomical. Cincinnati, KC, and Buffalo are all in a fight for the top of the conference. Buffalo has to be a short list of no-go’s like to Diggs to KC.  

Just now, Roundybout said:

I didn’t realize how a lot of Worthy’s advanced stats were complete asscheeks. Still hate to loose sheer raw talent like that though

I wouldn’t be shocked if worthy is listed as “first round disappointments” a year later.  He screams gadget to start and then finding out if he can develop further

2 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Suddenly Wothy is a #1?? They weren't taking Worthy and they weren't taking Pearsall.  So to get a 3rd round pick (when you didn't have one) to select the same player you were going to select anyway (Ladd, Franklin, Frazier, Mitchell, etc.) is nothing but damn smart GMing

This.  We weren’t taking Legette either.  

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We better pray Worthy either becomes injury prone or just a straight line bust wr.  If he develops fast twitch moves like Hill, we're screwed.

Or we could just build the best team we possibly can without concern for  what SCARY THEY are doing.  It's good to have a GM who is not scared to make this kind of move like most of us would have.  Getting a third to select the same player they would have selected at that spot (Ladd, Frazier, or Franklin) is smart and reeks of confidence.  And that's why they pay him the big bucks

Edited by bearstobills
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

And Beane drafted Khalil Shakir in the 5th round in that same draft as Sky Moore was drafted by the Chiefs in the 2nd.

Shakir averaged 36 yards per game last year, so I wouldn't point to him as this major coup of a pick.

Buffalo's best draft pick used on a WR in 6 drafts is a 4th on Davis.  And he was so good they let him walk in UFA. 

McBeane have found most of their production from UFA or trades at the position in a league which prioritizes them in the draft.  

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What is wrong with you guys? These are EXCELLENT moves. We gained a pick and moved up a round with another and all we ‘gave up’ was moving back a few places when McBeane already KNOW the guy they wanted all along. This is exactly how you take advantage of other teams on Draft night. 

I started off doing mocks with the idea of trading up for that great WR to fill the major hole, but after enough iterations, came around to the strategy of for this team, at this time, I should be looking for trade downs to get 4 to 5 guys who can augment the roster this year. Day 1 through early day 3 is pretty much the zone for that stuff in this draft. The Bills are pushing their later picks into that zone. I understand what they're doing because they're going to the "value-meets-need" zone for their roster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I didn’t realize how a lot of Worthy’s advanced stats were complete asscheeks. Still hate to loose sheer raw talent like that though

You know whose advanced stats are effing AWESOME by comparison? Yup...Troy Franklin.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone, I just read the news that the 49ers were on the phone all evening trying to trade one of their veteran receivers.  Rumor has it that Deebo is even more available than Aiyuk, but I would not be surprised to see the Bills land one of them over night, while keeping the first pick of the 2nd round.

15 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

It’s not the trade downs that are absurd 

it’s you traded down with the chiefs and didn’t even get fair market value, if it’s the chiefs the tag should be even higher than market value 

beane got abused on that trade, it’s shockingly bad 

Okay.  We don't trade down with the Chiefs.  We pass on Worthy.   And they draft him at 32 anyway.  OH...we sure showed them!!!!

We did get fair market value using the draft charts.  Happy Days did the computation.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I would be completely pleased with grabbing two extra picks and likely getting who they wanted at 28 anyway if it was any other team besides the Chiefs. Giving a rival a chance to upgrade their weakest position is not logical.  Now to see what Buffalo does. Maybe Buffalo likes Adonai Mitchell or Keon Coleman at WR, Maybe those picks are leverage for a trade to get Aiyuk or Higgins.

It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like in three days. I will reserve judgement until then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did they? Drafted a dude 8th overall while theyre paying another guy 4/$180M to start?

It’s something 

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Shakir averaged 36 yards per game last year, so I wouldn't point to him as this major coup of a pick.

Buffalo's best draft pick used on a WR in 6 drafts is a 4th on Davis.  And he was so good they let him walk in UFA. 

McBeane have found most of their production from UFA or trades at the position in a league which prioritizes them in the draft.  

Don't look at that average and use that as your evaluation.   Plus...it's merely a comparison of the Bills e v a l of Shakir vs KC's e v a l of Skye Moore.  Still...look at what Shakir did late in the season and in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Not really? SF reached hard with that pick. 

They took a guy with way worse physical traits. Maybe to fit their scheme better but why not take the kore physically talented guy?

Here's one other point that occurred to me reading all the "why so cheap trade-up" posts.

Beane is giving action to get action. He'll abide by the consensus value charts and not totally try to **** over one of his counterparts to gain purchase in making a deal later, maybe not this year or next, but burnishing his rep as a fair dealer not looking to get the other guy fired.

• Agree 2

Everybody freaking out that Buffalo added picks in a deep draft at positions of need meanwhile.

Milano

Taron

Shakir

Brown

Dawkins

Benford

Bernard

Gabe

Cook

I’m all for adding as many pick between rounds 2 and 5 as possible.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Suddenly Wothy is a #1?? They weren't taking Worthy and they weren't taking Pearsall.  So to get a 3rd round pick (when you didn't have one) to select the same player you were going to select anyway (Ladd, Franklin, Frazier, Mitchell, etc.) is nothing but damn smart GMing

I was really excited for the trade downs! When I looked at this draft there is only about 17 guys who were true 1st rounders, the 2nd and 3rd is where it’s at, and we now have 3 picks. We should be celebrating instead of worrying about Mecole Hardman 2.0 going to the chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

I have no idea where the money comes from for something like this. That tweet honestly feels like copium to keep Bills fans from losing their minds.

I agree they have all day to work out a trade, but it's not for Higgins or Aiyuk or Samuel.

I hope it's not anyway. Higgins is good, but he's not Batman. He's Robin. You don't pay Robin. Chase is Batman.  Aiyuk is a nice player, but stud #1? I don't think so. Samuel? He's a fun player, but does he give them what they need on the outside? Plus all of these guys will be insanely expensive to keep onboard which is why they are available in the first place.

They'll take a WR or two still, have them on cheap deals for 4 years and move forward.

I'm not a huge fan of it,  either,  and to be honest,  I don't think that's what they're doing.  They probably have a handful of guys with the same grade and are willing to trade out as long as they know they can get one of them.  We've seen Beane nickel and dime his way down the board before when he took James Cook. 

• Like (+1) 1

Right now, the Bills have a couple slot guys, and some 4th or 5th tier filler. Hope Beane has some big moves in store for tomorrow, since there is no 1 or 2 on the team. He also said he didn't think there were 28 guys in this draft worthy of a 1st round grade-- so he won't be getting anything like that with the picks that are left.

Just now, Murdox said:

Everyone, I just read the news that the 49ers were on the phone all evening trying to trade one of their veteran receivers.  Rumor has it that Deebo is even more available than Aiyuk, but I would not be surprised to see the Bills land one of them over night, while keeping the first pick of the 2nd round.

I read that post with you bursting through a door all out of breath. It gave me a giggle.

Tired 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Roundybout said:

They took a guy with way worse physical traits. Maybe to fit their scheme better but why not take the kore physically talented guy?

“It says a lot about Justin Jefferson that Raegar was taken ahead of him”

See how dumb that sounds?

Sometimes scouts get high on their own supply and think they’re smarter than everyone else.

Metcalf had off the charts measurable and fell to the end of the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Everybody freaking out that Buffalo added picks in a deep draft at positions of need meanwhile.

Milano

Taron

Shakir

Brown

Dawkins

Benford

Bernard

Gabe

Cook

I’m all for adding as many pick between rounds 2 and 5 as possible.

This draft isnt 5 rounds deep in talent tho. Maybe barely 4.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, par73 said:

Right now, the Bills have a couple slot guys, and some 4th or 5th tier filler. Hope Beane has some big moves in store for tomorrow, since there is no 1 or 2 on the team. He also said he didn't think there were 28 guys in this draft worthy of a 1st round grade-- so he won't be getting anything like that with the picks that are left.

The #1 receiver on this team plays TE. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Exciting. Maybe we can get another fourth rounder! and swap 7s.

Hopefully we can pickup some extra 6ths & 7th for the 2025 draft, since everyone knows that's where the real studs come out!

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Just awful. No words to all of this but sheer insanity.

KC calls you hang up. Don’t even listen. Just gave mahomes and Reid a 4.2 guy. Hahahahahaha 

So what if we traded down with someone else and KC traded up with say Baltimore and still got Worthy? 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

KC calls you hang up. Don’t even listen. Just gave mahomes and Reid a 4.2 guy. Hahahahahaha 

I felt better when I saw Worthy was 132 among receivers in an advanced stat 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

“It says a lot about Justin Jefferson that Raegar was taken ahead of him”

See how dumb that sounds?

Sometimes scouts get high on their own supply and think they’re smarter than everyone else.

Metcalf had off the charts measurable and fell to the end of the 2nd.

Thats fair 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills and McD continue to think they are the smartest people in the room. To me if Worthy turns into a stud (mahomes 2.0) it’s the final straw. We know better than everybody else because we have made the playoffs meanwhile sf and kc are repeat Super Bowl or at least champ week. But we make these mind boggling moves. Trade up for the 2nd best te but make a move in possibly one of the best wr drafts. We are smart yet I guess..,

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I would be completely pleased with grabbing two extra picks and likely getting who they wanted at 28 anyway if it was any other team besides the Chiefs. Giving a rival a chance to upgrade their weakest position is not logical.  Now to see what Buffalo does. Maybe Buffalo likes Adonai Mitchell or Keon Coleman at WR, Maybe those picks are leverage for a trade to get Aiyuk or Higgins.

It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like in three days. I will reserve judgement until then.

Except they would have upgraded that position anyway.   

Edited by jkeerie

Thanks for the commentary guys, after catching up and reading everything (board melted down as soon as the KC trade was announced and again after the 32/33 trade) I am off the ledge.  I absolutely HATE trading with the Chefs for ANY reason, assuming we'll get fleeced again.  I'm just a fan, not an analyst or draft value junkie, so emotion is all I've got.  Just stayed up all night for a trade with our nemesis where they get the fastest man alive and no new players to get excited about.  

I do trust Beane to fill out the roster and I think Allen is at that point in his career where he can work with the receivers he's got.  But I'll tell you what... about an hour ago, I could relate to this guy:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I'll certainly give Beane the benefit of the doubt and will wait to see how the rest of the draft turns out, but...

Helping the team we can never get past in the playoffs get a 4.21 WR, trading out of the first round completely and losing the fifth year option, and collecting a pile of late picks in a shallow draft has me going to bed pretty discouraged tonight.

I felt the Bills needed to try to find a difference maker or two in this draft, and instead they seem content to just keep trading back and adding a big pile of okay-to-maybe-good players instead. It's hard to see who at pick 60 or 95 is going to help get us over the hump.

Not only that, but they handed to their arch rivals a guy who -- by virtue of his rare speed -- MAY actually be a difference maker.

I'm typically a huge optimist, and if you go back through my history of draft night posts over the years, you'll see me constantly espousing a glass-half-full outlook and talking up the BIlls' pick(s). But tonight? I don't feel good about the way things went down. 

First time in a while that I've ended night one of the draft feeling this discouraged. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

I, for one, am super glad you are not the GM of the Buffalo Bills.  To not listen to a trade offer that benefits your team because you're scared of that team....sounds like a championship mindset!!

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m ok with the trades because of the draft capital that Beane now has to move around rounds 2-4 but man I hope this is NOT the reason we did it. This is a great WR draft just get multiple WRs in the draft instead of overpaying for someone else’s WRs. If they do this they really don’t trust their WR scouts.

Draft AD Mitchell and Franklin in round 2 and I’ll go streaking through my neighborhood 

Not quite so sure your neighbors will be too impressed!!!  If it happens tho - pixs or it never happened!!!  Just put a small black dot on the offending area!  Just jamming on ya dude.....most likely I would so the same!!!!

Edited by Kwai San

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This draft isnt 5 rounds deep in talent tho. Maybe barely 4.

This is literally the exact opposite of everything I’ve heard leading up to this draft, but ok…

besides, even if you are correct, he can package all those 5ths and move back into the 4th or 3rd. It gives him a lot of flexibility to get who they want tomorrow.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1