Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

But lose an entire year of cap savings. That part is left out.

They obviously did not have a first round grade on any players left on their board.  Beane always talks value.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hadn't considered that angle,  but it makes sense.  They could be trying to buy time or more appropriately match trade value.  The big question is whether they can make a veteran acquisition work under the cap. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They drafted Sky Moore the year they lost Hill.  

Rashee Rice seems like a quality human.  

They also drafted Mahomes, tyreek hill, Kelce, humphries, smith etc.

Rice is an idiot but helped them win a superbowl who's a good player 

Edited by BillsFan130

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The two guys I had first round grades on that were possibly not the consensus - Legette and Morgan - both went in the first round. Pleased for both those guys. They will be studs.

I suppose at this point it is all aboard the AD Mitchell train. I'll be back in the morning with my debrief. Night all.

Like I said, I don't think he is on our board.

It's gonna be Franklin, Coleman or McConkey.

• Vomit 1

The overreactions in here are insane.

If AD Mitchell is your guy, he’s still there and you got added value along the way with a day to think about and negotiate trades for a veteran #1 if you want. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is nowhere near Worthy as a player. Worthy runs the route tree. I feel like I don’t need to get this far in the weeds because the comparison is lazy. Worthy is a good route runner with explosive playmaking. He is a great WR. John Ross ran a fast 40. They aren’t that close.

I’ve watched the tape on Worthy, I’m not impressed.

i think he has value as a gadget guy and if Mahomes and him gain chemistry, he can be effective

i didnt have a top 40 grade on him 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jim said:

And the Chiefs third is basically a 4th isn't it? Cuz it's the last *****in' pick of the third round? More genius from BBB.

It's higher than the 3rd/4th the Bills had going into the draft. 

Just now, Jim said:

And the Chiefs third is basically a 4th isn't it? Cuz it's the last *****in' pick of the third round? More genius from BBB.

It's only four down from the pick the Bills sent to the Packers for Douglas (91 to 95). Wouldn't say it's a massive disaster.

Just now, jwhit34 said:

But it is a move up from the end of the 6th to the top of the 5th so around 60 picks. That's essentially moving up 2 rounds.

At the time,  the details on pick numbers hadn't been released.  But yeah,  that's a great deal for one spot. 

And the fact that it WAS one spot suggests to me that Beane isn't done.  No need for Carolina to make that trade unless Beane was taking wider offers. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In theory, this is fine as a concept.  Get an established #1.  Stockpile picks to still have some semblance of a draft and trade for a WR.  But honestly, I don't see Tee Higgins as a #1 and Debo is a little older and has more miles on him than I would like.  Ayuk is interesting, but is going to cost a fortune probably in assets and definitely an extension.  Is there another guy out there that they could be looking at?  There has to be a plan.  I refuse to believe Beane got stupid all of a sudden.  There has to be something cooking.  Not giving up on Beane yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

This. I don't like the idea of taking an undersized WR. But I don't want Reid to have him. So you c*ck block Reid. Simple. 

He was gonna get him anyway, so thanks for the free upgrades Andy!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, stevestojan said:

There’s zero chance we don’t lose a game to the chiefs next year by watching the fastest man to ever run at the combine smoke our DBs. 

Those fastest-ever combine guys tend to apply that straight-line speed to the NFL field in year one, do they?

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Our first round was essentially trading a 4th for a 3rd and 6th for a 5th. We now have two seconds and third? Will be interesting if we end up taking three players in the second tomorrow by trading up into the 2nd with our stock pile of picks. That may be a success if we can end up with DeJean and two WR's in the 2nd round. 

I think there’s a chance we get 4 picks in the 2nd/3rd tomorrow with a trade down from 33. 

At quick glance lots of teams with 2 x 2nds/3rds. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills don’t fully believe any of the receivers left, plus Worthy and Legette. If they did they would have taken one in the first and had them for potentially five seasons on a rookie deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billselda said:

Passing up on Xavier Legette will hurt for years. Ladd McConkey is not that guy.

I’ll just say this,

I was more impressed with McConkey running with the ball in his hands than Worthy when I watched them

mcConkey also looks like the more natural catcher

worthy has more experience with the route tree and Is is fast in a straight line

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They drafted Sky Moore the year they lost Hill.  

Rashee Rice seems like a quality human.  

And Beane drafted Khalil Shakir in the 5th round in that same draft as Sky Moore was drafted by the Chiefs in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Cray51 said:

I’ve watched the tape on Worthy, I’m not impressed.

i think he has value as a gadget guy and if Mahomes and him gain chemistry, he can be effective

i didnt have a top 40 grade on him 

Putting that guy in Andy Reid’s offense is a nightmare. Reid will get him the ball in space. The Bills could certainly trade down. They couldn’t give the Chiefs elite skill players to deal with. Not a good day for the Bills. I’m hoping tomorrow is 2 picks and a vet WR. We will see

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

In theory, this is fine as a concept.  Get an established #1.  Stockpile picks to still have some semblance of a draft and trade for a WR.  But honestly, I don't see Tee Higgins as a #1 and Debo is a little older and has more miles on him than I would like.  Ayuk is interesting, but is going to cost a fortune probably in assets and definitely an extension.  Is there another guy out there that they could be looking at?  There has to be a plan.  I refuse to believe Beane got stupid all of a sudden.  There has to be something cooking.  Not giving up on Beane yet.

I agree, I don’t think any of these veteran WR’s are what some people think. Jefferson would be the only extremely impressive addition. 

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I also love Worthy’s elite drop rate - fits right in with KC

We better pray Worthy either becomes injury prone or just a straight line bust wr.  If he develops fast twitch moves like Hill, we're screwed.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As much as I adore Deebo, he doesn't make much sense for us. If we go the veteran route and Aiyuk is off the table, Higgins or Sutton make more sense than Deebo IMO. Probably wouldn't trade what Cinci wants for Higgins though. I think the cost for Sutton is probably a good match for what we have now and then I'd like to add a rookie WR tomorrow.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

With the Bills holding a plethora of picks and Minnesota very few... Jefferson? Though he'd take some very creative accounting when it comes to the cap. And if the Vikings trade him away they may as well aim for the number one pick in 2025.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m ok with the trades because of the draft capital that Beane now has to move around rounds 2-4 but man I hope this is NOT the reason we did it. This is a great WR draft just get multiple WRs in the draft instead of overpaying for someone else’s WRs. If they do this they really don’t trust their WR scouts.

Draft AD Mitchell and Franklin in round 2 and I’ll go streaking through my neighborhood 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, par73 said:

Bills won't stop helping Kansas City. Already got them a couple SB's with the Mahomes gift. Now, they have provided them a T. Hill replacement. One team I would never trade with-- the Chiefs. Just mind-numbing.

And they leave the 1st round with no receivers-- in a round where 7 were taken. There are a lot of receivers in the draft, but I don't think anyone left is a potential #1 (maybe Mitchell-- but he doesn't seem ready to take on that role immediately).

Really looking forward to the 5-7 round landfall the Bills have put together.

Suddenly Wothy is a #1?? They weren't taking Worthy and they weren't taking Pearsall.  So to get a 3rd round pick (when you didn't have one) to select the same player you were going to select anyway (Ladd, Franklin, Frazier, Mitchell, etc.) is nothing but damn smart GMing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Putting that guy in Andy Reid’s offense is a nightmare. Reid will get him the ball in space. The Bills could certainly trade down. They couldn’t give the Chiefs elite skill players to deal with. Not a good day for the Bills. I’m hoping tomorrow is 2 picks and a vet WR. We will see

Sky Moore was the speed guy taken two years ago who is awful

kadarius toney was picked up to be the speedy first round grade receiver to be a stud

ross was brought in to see if his speed could amount to somethjng in the tail end of his career

the chiefs have struck out on receivers just as often as they have hit.  Hill was and is an amazing player.  If they have fooled everyone and found a guy of tbat talent again?  Credit to them

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

With the Bills holding a plethora of picks and Minnesota very few... Jefferson? Though he'd take some very creative accounting when it comes to the cap. And if the Vikings trade him away they may as well aim for the number one pick in 2025.

33, 2025 1st, 2nd ? 

13 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Thanks man. I appreciate ya responding back at me. You got any dudes you want tomorrow. If we can get Mitchell I'd be happy. Im

not even mad about the trade back. Just who we traded with. If not Mitchell  kinda on board with Cooper now and then maybe get Polk. Idk lol I'm all over the place now. 

I truly struggle with the draft honestly - I stay up and always watch or follow, but I really feel like system and the player have to be perfectly match to succeed when a player is young and soo many bust out.

I take the approach let's see how this works after so many years of watching - used to have players in mind and listen to 100 breakdowns on players just to get none of them that I thought I would of preferred. It will be good to listen to locked on Bills post draft again for that reason - not knocking it or anything- just not my thing

I'm hoping it works no matter what though - lots of roles to fill

Go Bills!

Edited by BlazinBill
I can't spell that good

3 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I’ll just say this,

I was more impressed with McConkey running with the ball in his hands than Worthy when I watched them

mcConkey also looks like the more natural catcher

worthy has more experience with the route tree and Is is fast in a straight line

I didn’t realize how a lot of Worthy’s advanced stats were complete asscheeks. Still hate to loose sheer raw talent like that though

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Vikings arent trading JJ. They have a rookie QB who 1. needs weapons around him and 2. will be on a rookie contract allowing them to pay JJ.

I think Aiyuk is our best hope.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

4 picks different than if the Bills would not have traded their 3rd rounder for Rasul.  It's still a 3rd rounder.    You're grasping at straws.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I hadn't considered that angle,  but it makes sense.  They could be trying to buy time or more appropriately match trade value.  The big question is whether they can make a veteran acquisition work under the cap. 

I have no idea where the money comes from for something like this. That tweet honestly feels like copium to keep Bills fans from losing their minds.

I agree they have all day to work out a trade, but it's not for Higgins or Aiyuk or Samuel.

I hope it's not anyway. Higgins is good, but he's not Batman. He's Robin. You don't pay Robin. Chase is Batman.  Aiyuk is a nice player, but stud #1? I don't think so. Samuel? He's a fun player, but does he give them what they need on the outside? Plus all of these guys will be insanely expensive to keep onboard which is why they are available in the first place.

They'll take a WR or two still, have them on cheap deals for 4 years and move forward.