Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Doing it the way they did it, according to Sal...they just saved $2.5 million off the cap.

But lose an entire year of cap savings. That part is left out.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Would make sense they try to trade back again. They have nearly 24hrs to work out a deal. If so the trade off would have to be revisited. If they don't trade back then I would say no, it's not worth it. But then again, by making the trade you give yourself a much better chance to trade back again. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I disagree, the Panthers probably told the Bills who they wanted to take and the Bills weren’t going to take that player anyway.

This deal was all about trading draft compensation for the 5th year option. I doubt anybody did any bluffing.

If the fifth year option was that important to the Panthers I wish Beane had turned the screws more than he did in return.

• Like (+1) 1

How about we wait and see who they pick and see if they are any good before claiming the sky is falling and screaming for people to be fired. Jesus!

Edited by thebug
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Please.  People need to stop with the Worthy comparisons to Hill.  Hill has 20 pounds on Worthy.

Worthy is the same size as Devonta Smith. I don’t want that guy, and that skill set, in Andy Reid’s offense. If you aren’t concerned about that, we see things differently. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Bills won't stop helping Kansas City. Already got them a couple SB's with the Mahomes gift. Now, they have provided them a T. Hill replacement. One team I would never trade with-- the Chiefs. Just mind-numbing.

And they leave the 1st round with no receivers-- in a round where 7 were taken. There are a lot of receivers in the draft, but I don't think anyone left is a potential #1 (maybe Mitchell-- but he doesn't seem ready to take on that role immediately).

Really looking forward to the 5-7 round landfall the Bills have put together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

apparently moving out of the 1st round has saved them over 2 million on the cap this year.

Two plus Ten or so post June 1 is about 12 million, Ayuk I think due $19 million, it might happen yet think Beane has a guy he wants that still on the board and get as much draft capital he can to move up in the mid rounds or get some extra picks in 2025. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

What the heck are you talking about?  He's had more success here than anyone since Bill Polian and you think he's going to get fired.  LOL.  He's getting more pics hoping he can hit on some of them.  

Except he's not.  We didn't land a single extra pick, we simply moved up from Round 4 to 3 and up in Round 7.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

49ers did just draft a WR 👀

I mentioned it in a text to a friend - 33 and one of our seconds next year for Aiyuk and their second at the end of the round 

extend aiyuk, take your savings and draft Franklin who you love at 61

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Worthy is the same size as Devonta Smith. I don’t want that guy, and that skill set, in Andy Reid’s offense. If you aren’t concerned about that, we see things differently. 

He is nothing like Smith.  

• Like (+1) 1

Once Thomas was gone, I have to admit I expected Beane to consider moving down like he has.  We don't have much cap room this year, and moving out of the first round to save some cap money is one way to keep the door open to trading for one of the veteran wideouts while still preserving picks.  That said, if one of those WRs that Beane passed on turns out to be a superstar, it's not going to look good.

Edited by Murdox

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

165 lb monster!

Bills have a great history of trading in the 1st round with the Chiefs and Andy Reid knows absolutely nothing about offence so I definitely trust the bills on this one..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As someone who was out at a bar in Atlanta for the draft, at least we arent the Falcons.

The place exploded when that Penix pick came in.

At least Falcons did something 

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Except he's not.  We didn't land a single extra pick, we simply moved up from Round 4 to 3 and up in Round 7.

The quality of this draft isn’t its depth.  Moving up in rounds is good value for this year

I understand that he traded down because the Bills didn't have anyone left on their board with a first-round grade. But I hate the concept of "draft value." Draft picks don't play, players do. And as we stand right now, the Bills have a franchise QB and the worst WR room in the league. But my biggest source of anger is that Beane traded Diggs without a plan. That was a blunder. He should have done what the Bengals have done with Higgins, and told him "you have a contract so shut up and play."

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

This. I don't like the idea of taking an undersized WR. But I don't want Reid to have him. So you c*ck block Reid. Simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

But lose an entire year of cap savings. That part is left out.

Ding ding 

the trade doesn’t make sense, neither of them do from a value standpoint 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's not a deep draft at all. That's why they are prioritizing moving their later round picks forward. We aren't selecting additional players this year, we are just getting to pick them sooner. If it were a deep draft they'd be adding selections. Rounds 6 and 7 are basically throw aways this year. There just aren't that many guys with draftable grades this year.

I wouldnt be shocked if they move down again tomorrow. I'm disappointed that they haven't been able to add an additional 3rd and have only been able to do swaps so far. Maybe tomorrow is different but I'd guess it would be another pick swap. Maybe one of the 5s to a 4 now.

Didn't the Bills get the Chiefs 3rd as part of the trade for 28?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

COULD YOU IMAGINE THEM WITH JOHN ROSS??!!  He was worthy before worthy!  

wait, they did have him… and he didn’t even crack the roster

speed isn’t everything 

He is nowhere near Worthy as a player. Worthy runs the route tree. I feel like I don’t need to get this far in the weeds because the comparison is lazy. Worthy is a good route runner with explosive playmaking. He is a great WR. John Ross ran a fast 40. They aren’t that close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

If the fifth year option was that important to the Panthers I wish Beane had turned the screws more than he did in return.

I think it’s also possible Beane wanted to get out of the first round to buy more time to wheel and deal. If so, it was mutually beneficial.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t end up picking at 33.

4 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Exciting. Maybe we can get another fourth rounder! and swap 7s.

If we somehow pull off three 2nd round picks and still end up with Troy Franklin, DeJean and any other WR you want to throw in there I'd call that a good draft. Not sure if they can draft three players in round two but they are working closer to that. 

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

We didn’t get fair market value for moving up 4 spots in the first 

not to mention, it’s your rival so that should add even more to the price. I have no issue with a trade down, getting the return we got from the team we traded with is not nearly good enough… kc cannot believe we made that deal 

Yes we did in fact it was almost a dead even match. The value #’s differed by 1 point

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

With all due respect. We got the 2nd best QB in the league and we are worried about minimal cap space for the future?

I'm disappointed we won't have a promising wr on a cheap 5 yr rookie contract.

2.5 M.... Whoopdeedo

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, par73 said:

Bills won't stop helping Kansas City. Already got them a couple SB's with the Mahomes gift. Now, they have provided them a T. Hill replacement. One team I would never trade with-- the Chiefs. Just mind-numbing.

And they leave the 1st round with no receivers-- in a round where 7 were taken. There are a lot of receivers in the draft, but I don't think anyone left is a potential #1 (maybe Mitchell-- but he doesn't seem ready to take on that role immediately).

Really looking forward to the 5-7 round landfall the Bills have put together.

You mean landfill right? Cuz apparently most of the end of this draft is filled with garbage. But at least we gots tons of picks!!

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Bills have a great history of trading in the 1st round with the Chiefs and Andy Reid knows absolutely nothing about offence so I definitely trust the bills on this one..

They drafted Sky Moore the year they lost Hill.  

Rashee Rice seems like a quality human.  

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Letting Carolina Have Legette screams of stupidity and let’s help my old team. 5th round picks yippie 🤦‍♂️ Take a chance on a possible offense maker not 5th round space takers.

Bills save cap and clearly didn’t want Leggette over who else is available.

The move makes a ton of sense. Now you have all day tomorrow to trade for a Vet, trade back again for a big bounty, or just take the guy you want on a cheaper rookie deal then the first round.

Tons of advantages to making this move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we are abdicating our picks to the Chiefs in order to save a mere $2.5M, then we are already done.

We are not allocating our picks to the Chiefs.   We traded back because we likely didn't have first round grades left on any players.  Do we take Worthy to spite the Chiefs even though the Bills didn't want a 165 lb WR???  I don't think they made the move to save money.   It's simply a practical bonus.  We moved back because of value...and we improved our draft position in the lower rounds.  We now have three picks tomorrow night instead of one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Swapped a 6th for a 5th.

But it is a move up from the end of the 6th to the top of the 5th so around 60 picks. That's essentially moving up 2 rounds.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

but wait!!! All the cap experts on here told me these things weren’t possible. Just like Diggs.  & here we have an NFL scout talking about it….

It’s rough reading hot takes on here from some of these tards

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Didn't the Bills get the Chiefs 3rd as part of the trade for 28?

And the Chiefs third is basically a 4th isn't it? Cuz it's the last *****in' pick of the third round? More genius from BBB.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1