Who will be the head scratcher pick(s) in the first round?

Every year there are teams that take a player most had pegged as third rounders in the first round, whether it be the Raiders, New England, whoever. Who will it be this year? Which team, or teams, will reach for a player that makes everyone say “Huh?”. I love when this happens because it just means someone is falling closer to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe not as much of an overdraft, but I think at least 1 of the WRs people see as late 1st early 2nd may go ahead of Brian Thomas. 

On the flip side one of McCarthy, Penix or Nix will slide way further than most mock drafters want to believe. 

• Agree 4

It seems to have gotten less and less over the years.  I don't remember last year any first round surprise.  Gibbs, McDonald, Campbell, and Harrison were pry the biggest "reaches" but none where shocks that they went in the first round The biggest surprise was Will Levis falling into the 2nd.

You can always count on Bill Belichick to make a head scratcher.

Though, that may not be the case for 2024. He has a high pick and the QB that NE desperately needs will be there.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Maybe not as much of an overdraft, but I think at least 1 of the WRs people see as late 1st early 2nd may go ahead of Brian Thomas. 

Agree. I think #4 on most WR boards has huge variance. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

On the flip side one of McCarthy, Penix or Nix will slide way further than most mock drafters want to believe. 

Interesting, any perspective on why you think Thomas will slide and/or not be 4th off the board?  I was watching tape of him last night, salivating at the thought of Josh throwing to him.  Seemed like he would take Gabe’s role instantly but be way more dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Interesting, any perspective on why you think Thomas will slide and/or not be 4th off the board?  I was watching tape of him last night, salivating at the thought of Josh throwing to him.  Seemed like he would take Gabe’s role instantly but be way more dangerous.

Not enough evidence of a whole route tree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It's not that I think he will "slide". It's what the reality often is between the draft expert community and actual team boards is typically pretty different. 

We tend to hear "Player X is the #4 WR" and then other" experts parrot that enough until it becomes thought of as a common fact. WR this year will come down to the eye of the beholder. And even though Thomas is talented the odds that another team may see more upside in another player is there. Add in, the teams see the medicals. They talk in person to the draftees. They do background checks and look into things on a whole different level than just watching the film. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, boater said:

Though, that may not be the case for 2024. He has a high pick and the QB that NE desperately needs will be there.

Plus Belichek is no longer with the Patriots.  So there is that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, boater said:

And he can't screw up their draft because he is unemployed.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:51 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Thomas’ physical tools are tremendous and you can see he has a lot of upside, but right now he isn’t a finished product.  Bama admittedly has great corners, but they basically erased Thomas in that game.  He is an outstanding prospect, but I don’t think he would step into lead dog role right away, maybe not even this season.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, boater said:

That was his parting gift to the Patriots!

26 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Thomas’ physical tools are tremendous and you can see he has a lot of upside, but right now he isn’t a finished product.  Baja admittedly has great corners, but they basically erased Thomas in that game.  He is an outstanding prospect, but I don’t think he would step into lead dog role right away, maybe not even this season.

Would you think he’d be a step up over Gabe right away though, even before any potential polishing?  And then the team can lean on the likes of Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir and Cook to fill the rest of the role we lost in Diggs.

Watching Jayden Daniels freelance to Thomas, I could totally see him and Josh  hooking up for some huge plays.

11 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Would you think he’d be a step up over Gabe right away though, even before any potential polishing?  And then the team can lean on the likes of Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir and Cook to fill the rest of the role we lost in Diggs.

Watching Jayden Daniels freelance to Thomas, I could totally see him and Josh  hooking up for some huge plays.

I am not saying that they shouldn’t draft Thomas and let him develop and yes I think he would probably be a starter right away and a strong deep threat from the start.  I would be very happy to get Thomas as long as it doesn’t cost too much in picks to get him.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

And he can't screw up their draft because he is unemployed.

My wrong. Oh my. It's been a long off-season

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yep. My bad. With all the Bills drama going on, I forgot the NE news.

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would be very happy to get Thomas as long as it doesn’t cost too much in picks to get him.

This about sums it up. Anything more than a 4th (and flipping firsts) and I'm out the trade. 

Other head scratchers if picked in the first (of course, just my $.02):

- Troy Franklin (size and hands questions and shaky combine)

- Darius Robinson (can play both DT and DE, but first round?)

- Any safety (unless you count Cooper Dejean as a S)

-Braden Fiske (arm length)

- Xavier Worthy (size & hands)

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Chaos said:

The ghost of Belichek will still have an unnatural influence,

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

NC States Payton Wilson. Best ILB on the board but with a second round grade.

Yea I can see him being a "surprise" first rounder. A bit like when Green Bay took your guy Quay in the first a couple of years back. Wasn't a bad prospect by any meana but wasn't a first round talent and reaching, even if only a bit, on a prospect at a non-premium position in round 1 is always a head scratcher.

On 4/6/2024 at 4:06 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I could see this being Franklin or McConkey.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:40 PM, Sestak4ever said:

Every year there are teams that take a player most had pegged as third rounders in the first round, whether it be the Raiders, New England, whoever. Who will it be this year? Which team, or teams, will reach for a player that makes everyone say “Huh?”. I love when this happens because it just means someone is falling closer to the Bills.

Whomever the Raiders take for 1000 Alex 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/6/2024 at 3:40 PM, Sestak4ever said:

The Raiders will come through for us