If Rex Ryan had not been fired, and we still drafted Josh Allen...

1 hour ago, Behindenemylines said:

Didn’t he have Mario pulling back and defending the pass all the time.  Is he the coach who had Mario wear those stupid red contacts so he was sooo scary 

Yes

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Rex Ryan was in vacation mode when he coached the Bills, so I doubt it would have worked out for the better. The real question is -- how different would the last couple years have gone if the Bills replaced McDermott with Daboll after 13 seconds?

Yup. Remember when Rex was at a baseball game in Cleveland on a Thursday night instead of preparing for a game? But he “left early” so he had time to get ready

His teams were loaded with talent and had a huge coaching staff but were constantly unprepared and it showed. Rex would have stuck with Tyrod for a few more years, hanging his head on having a top rushing attack with an aging McCoy all while his defense got shredded by Brady and Co for a few more embarrassing losses

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yup. Remember when Rex was at a baseball game in Cleveland on a Thursday night instead of preparing for a game? But he “left early” so he had time to get ready

His teams were loaded with talent and had a huge coaching staff but were constantly unprepared and it showed. Rex would have stuck with Tyrod for a few more years, hanging his head on having a top rushing attack with an aging McCoy all while his defense got shredded by Brady and Co for a few more embarrassing losses

He stole money from the Pegulas thanks to Whaley.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@SoTier

You literally have that much blind hatred for his stint in buffalo that you disagree that at one point he was one of the best defensive minds in the world?

There is not one person in NFL circles who would say late 90s early 2000 rex Ryan was not a top defensive mind

He was ahead of the game and his system and the numbers they put up show it

His time in Buffalo has nothing to do about how good he was when his head was in the game in his early days 

He wasn't a good head coach in Buffalo......  But he was a tremendously good football coach at one point in his life

His Oklahoma Sooners defense was unreal before he went to Baltimore .. where he continually had tremendous defenses ahead of the curve

He definitely started getting full of himself in New York City and that is when he got passed by

He obviously was a joke in Buffalo @GunnerBill

He certainly did not suck his way up the coaching ranks

Yup, his head just wasn't in the game here. But as @GoBills808 said we probably would have made it further in the playoffs. If his head was in the game and its single elimination I'm taking him all day over McD. His ability to scheme is far more advanced. I mean the dude was raised in the game. He blew his chance here but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was considered one of the premier defensive minds in the game for most his career. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Back to back AFCCG w Mark Sanchez

Beat the dynasty mode Patriots in Foxborough along the way

but yeah he sucks😂😂

Rex's record against the Patriots was 3-13 with the Jests and Bills and 1-0 with the Jests in the 2009 playoffs. 

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@SoTier

You literally have that much blind hatred for his stint in buffalo that you disagree that at one point he was one of the best defensive minds in the world?

There is not one person in NFL circles who would say late 90s early 2000 rex Ryan was not a defensive savant

His time in Buffalo has nothing to do about how good he was when his head was in the game in his early days 

He wasn't a good head coach in Buffalo......  But he was a tremendously good football coach at one point in his life

His Oklahoma Sooners defense was unreal before he went to Baltimore 

Ryan was one of numerous great coordinators who failed as HCs, including Steve Spagnuolo of the Chiefs.  

Edited by SoTier

Rex Ryan was a lazy, awful head coach. To even think he’d have more success than McDermott is stupid at best.

McDermott took Ryan’s roster, stripped it to nothing, and had more success than Ryan ever thought of having.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Rex's record against the Patriots was 3-13 with the Jests and Bills and 1-0 with the Jests in the 2009 playoffs. 

Ryan was one of numerous great coordinators who were failed as HCs, including Steve Spagnuolo of the Chiefs.  

Well I never said he's built to be a head coach

That doesn't mean you're not a good coach tho

Some guys are meant to be coordinators.. it's easy to keep your passion when you're with the group of guys you connect with

Jim Schwartz too

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He stole money from the Pegulas thanks to Whaley.

Terry Pegula hired Rex Ryan, overriding Russ Brandon who was Whaley's boss, so you can't pin Ryan's hire on DW.   Pegula essentially gave Ryan a blank check, and  Ryan took advantage of it. 

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Terry Pegula hired Rex Ryan, overriding Russ Brandon who was Whaley's boss, so you can't pin Ryan's hire on DW.   Pegula essentially gave Ryan a blank check, and  Ryan took advantage of it. 

Whaley gave the list of HC candidates to Pegula, and the REXIT was on that list.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

@SoTier

There is not one person in NFL circles who would say late 90s early 2000 rex Ryan was not a top defensive mind

His Oklahoma Sooners defense was very good before he went to Baltimore ..  the Sooners were terrible his only year there.. and he inherited a defense that gave up 30 points a game and was one of the worst in the country... His 1 year his defense kept Oklahoma in games... And was the best part of the team

He definitely started getting full of himself in New York City and that is when he was done 

He obviously was a joke in Buffalo @GunnerBill

He certainly did not suck his way up the coaching ranks he's always maxed out talent before he stopped caring

His was an excellent (or at least very good) DC and a good, if overrated, head coach his first two years with the Jets.  However, the New York media treated him as a god and the hubris got to him.  He spend the rest of his time in NYC and Buffalo doing the funny press conferences and trying to win power struggles with the various GMs instead of actually coaching or adjusting his strategy his players or to the changing game.

Edited by Billy Claude

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

His was an excellent (or at least very good) DC and a good, if overrated, head coach his first two years with the Jets.  However, the New York media treated him as a god and the hubris got to him.  He spend the rest of his time in NYC and Buffalo doing the funny press conferences and trying to win power struggles with the various GMs instead of actually coaching or adjusting his strategy his players or to the changing game.

Again I don't think he necessarily is a great head coach

Some guys are better off as assistants.. but in that role he is a very good football coach

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again I don't think he necessarily is a great head coach

Some guys are better off as assistants.. but in that role he is a very good football coach

I agree, though I would qualify that to say he "was" a very good defensive coordinator.  I doubt that he would be very good now.

You're not serious, are you?

Rex Ryan was a fool. He would have totally screwed up Allen--no way he would ever have gotten to be the QB he is today.

Those of you who talk about his being a good defensive coach? Ryan took Jim Schwartz's first rate defense and completely screwed it up. He was a clown. 

Edited by Dr. K

14 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I agree, though I would qualify that to say he "was" a very good defensive coordinator.  I doubt that he would be very good now.

He had 2 number 1 overall defenses and like 7 straight top 10 defense 

He also turned around the Oklahoma Sooners defense in the 1 year he was there and was the only good part of the team

At the end He stopped adapting and offenses kept adapting to him 

Before he went to the Jets he certainly was extremely highly thought of as a defensive coordinator

We’d be the modern Jets or Eagles and win the off season every year. 

We’d still be a run heavy offense.

We definitely knock off Brady in New England and his AFC East crown at some point let’s remember the toughest AFC East QBs in Brady’s run where Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez. He literally had a free run for 15 years. 

Super Bowl who knows as we’d still be dealing with Patrick and Andy. 

More than likely the same. 

43 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

I've watched Rex Ryan coaching the Bills on You Tube.  IF he had a strong QB the Bills would have won a lot more games

Oh yeah?

Then explain McDermott taking a watered down Rex Ryan roster and making the playoffs with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Rex Ryan inherited the #2 defense in the NFL from 2014. He proceeded to then turn them into a middling group in 2015 and hired his idiot brother to coach with him in 2016. He wouldn't have gotten this team to the Playoffs multiple times in a row, more or less win multiple division titles in a row. One of the most overrated coaches of all time. 

Right.

In 17 McDermott got them in with arguably a worse team 

Complete culture shift

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Well stated.  Rex is my least favourite Bills coach. 

I did not like him but I’d put a few others ahead of him.  John Rauch for not planning the offense around the Heisman Trophy winning RB OJ.     Hank Bullough had a horrible record (4-17) and was in over his head.  He also frequently had halftime leads followed by the team doing nothing in the 2nd half.   Harvey Johnson had a horrible record (2-23) but he was always the interim coach after the head coach was fired.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Oh yeah?

Then explain McDermott taking a watered down Rex Ryan roster and making the playoffs with it.

58 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Right.

In 17 McDermott got them in with arguably a worse team 

Complete culture shift

I agree with both of these statements. McDermott gutted the team and game as close to starting from scratch as you could without being an expansion team. I remember that at one point in early 2017, before free agency started, there were only about 30 people officially on the Bills roster, including futures contract players. From there, two more key players in Watkins and Darby were traded before the season started. By 2018 there were very few people left from the previous regime.

The 2016 roster had talent but a weak culture. That wasn't all Rex Ryan's fault, it was an accumulation of five mediocre coaches over 16 years, but Rex was not likely to change that.

The talent was less in 2017, but the people brought in believed in the system. "Trusting the process" might be stale to some now, but it was what was needed to get out of the drought.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Would he? McD should’ve been fired and he’s still here. 

Um, yeah, no, that's utterly wrong.

McD is still here because he's terrific.

Rex is gone because he was becoming outright unprofessional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If Rex Ryan was the coach the Bills would have drafted Deshaun Watson instead of trading the pick to KC in 2017. Then there would have been the double scandal of massage therapists having Watson exposing himself & rubbing against them while Ryan fondled their feet.  

There can not possibly be a better post in this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

how do you think the Bills would be now?  

That would have been a train wreck of epic proportions and i feel Josh could have went the way of many decently talented QB's in the Bills past but because of this coaching staff in his beginning and now which many here would like to get rid of he has become our guy !! 

GO BILLS !!! 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Just Jack said:

how do you think the Bills would be now?  

They would have drafted Mahomes, IMO.

But Rex was pretty checked out.   He gave Pegula an ultimatum because he didn't want to coach.   The NY job burned him out he just took what was then a massive contract to be the Bills HC.   Anthony Lynn would have been the HC for Mahomes rookie year, most likely.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Would he? McD should’ve been fired and he’s still here. 

Rex wouldn't have the record McD has to keep him around this long.  Have people forgotten how bad the Rex coaching era was?  

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Rex wouldn't have the record McD has to keep him around this long.  Have people forgotten how bad the Rex coaching era was?  

Rex was 15-16 in his 2 seasons here (fired going into the final game of 2016)

McD was 15-17 his first 2 seasons

I think there's dozens of coaches that would've won a SB by now with Josh Allen. I'd even put Rex on that list

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Rex was 15-16 in his 2 seasons here (fired going into the final game of 2016)

McD was 15-17 his first 2 seasons

I think there's dozens of coaches that would've won a SB by now with Josh Allen. I'd even put Rex on that list

Rex was a disaster as a coach.  He took over a team he was supposed to elevate, not suck.  Not just public perception, but even by players accounts.  McD took over a team that immediately went into a tear down and full 100% rebuild...and McD made the playoffs with the roster Rex had after they traded away our #1 WR, starting corner, and best DT.  

I feel like this is when a girl leaves an abusive relationship and then forgets and gets back together again with them later.  Like they just gloss over all the bad like it didn't happen.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1