Police searching for Rashee Rice in connection to accident - Now officially charged

SCBills

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

1) In due course, pot will be legal everywhere in America, as it should be, though backward states like Texas may be the last to adapt.

2) If we are going to start caring about pot and enforcing anti-pot policies among ALL NFL PLAYERS, there will not be anyone left to play football.

Abandoning an accident scene with injured people who were receiving medical care is a serious offense.

The pot thing is not worth discussing.

I’d say it’s more akin to an open container in the car than an outrage over weed issue 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth, I've since seen the "this much pot is a felony!" part redacted, and the correction noted that it is in fact a misdemeanor.

Nevertheless, between the pot and his admitting that he was driving the Lambo, chargeable offenses are starting to pile up for Rice.

The main questions are: How lenient will the judge be, given that he's a start athlete? How effective will his lawyer be in pleading the deal down to a lesser offense and avoiding jail time?

I think that the key determining factor in Rice's NFL career going forward will be whether or not he serves time in jail. If he winds up, say, paying a fine and settling out of court with the victims and doing community service, I think he'll get a 2-6 game suspension, do the usual Mea Culpa token apology tour, and go on with his career. If he serves time in jail, all bets are off.

He’s not serving time in jail.  What are you on about?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

I'm on record here as agreeing with that take.

I believe a plea to a lesser charge, a fine, and minimal league discipline is the most likely outcome. I do not believe for a second that Rice will go to jail, because that's not how the American justice system tends to work for rich athletes.

Still, the possibility of jail time exists, and to pretend that it doesn't is silly.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

1) In due course, pot will be legal everywhere in America, as it should be, though backward states like Texas may be the last to adapt.

2) If we are going to start caring about pot and enforcing anti-pot policies among ALL NFL PLAYERS, there will not be anyone left to play football.

Abandoning an accident scene with injured people who were receiving medical care is a serious offense.

It is worth discussing if someone wants to discuss it, and if you don't think it is a factor in this case than you have your head in the sand. It doesn't matter what your own views on pot are.

19 minutes ago, Billl said:

Of course not, because he is a pro athlete. But if he was a regular guy he would get locked up.

• Agree 2

Rice will be punished much more severely by the NFL than he will be by the law. I would bet a lot of money on that. Rice's lawyer is a Texas state senator, Rice doesn't have a history of trouble, KC's owner went to the same school as Rice (SMU) and is also the richest man in Dallas with strong ties to the area that remain today. The level of transparency being brought forth by the lawyer suggests to me that they know Rice will get a slap on the wrist based on Texas law and their connections with people that matter. I think the self accountability act is more directed toward the NFL/Goodell. And it will fail. Even though this isn't comparable to the Henry Ruggs case, I think Goodell will want to come down hard on the speeding/reckless driving aspect of this incident and send a message. 

Minimum suspension: 4 games.

Most likely suspension: 6 games.

Possible suspension: 8 games.

5 minutes ago, beebe said:

Rice will be punished much more severely by the NFL than he will be by the law. I would bet a lot of money on that. Rice's lawyer is a Texas state senator, Rice doesn't have a history of trouble, KC's owner went to the same school as Rice (SMU) and is also the richest man in Dallas with strong ties to the area that remain today. The level of transparency being brought forth by the lawyer suggests to me that they know Rice will get a slap on the wrist based on Texas law and their connections with people that matter. I think the self accountability act is more directed toward the NFL/Goodell. And it will fail. Even though this isn't comparable to the Henry Ruggs case, I think Goodell will want to come down hard on the speeding/reckless driving aspect of this incident and send a message. 

Minimum suspension: 4 games.

Most likely suspension: 6 games.

Possible suspension: 8 games.

I'd just like to throw in here that given the way the league has operated in the past, I would predict that Rice's legal team will delay any legal procedings until well into or after the season, and NFL discipline, if any, will be applied to the 2025 season.

So nothing to worry about here for the Chiffs.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, Low Positive said:

With a couple of quick Google searches, it seems that those guys knew the law very well. The possession charge is a class B misdemeanor as is leaving the scene of an accident. Both of those carry small fines and up to 180 days in the county jail. In Rice's favor, I did see that Dallas County has not been prosecuting low-level weed possession cases in recent years. A DUI accident with injuries, OTOH, is a third-degree felony that comes with 2-10 years in prison. The reckless driving is also a class B misdemeanor unless the other party is injured or they can prove that there was racing involved. All told, leaving the scene was a heartless but probably wise move in this case. He's still in a lot of trouble because there where injuries and it's pretty clear that they were racing. All that said, IANAL but I am an academic librarian so I'm pretty good at looking stuff up.

In Texas, leaving the scene of an accident where others are injured isn a felony.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, Nextmanup said:

in then context of DUI, it's obviously worth discussing.

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

In Texas, leaving the scene of an accident where others are injured isn a felony.

in then context of DUI, it's obviously worth discussing.

Pot worshippers gonna pot worship.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/rashee-rice-dallas-texas-crash-charges-kansas-city-chiefs-nfl/287-55b4ae10-a0c3-4bc3-b82d-a826d4b80ddf

DALLAS — An arrest warrant has been issued for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice in connection to his involvement in a multi-vehicle crash on U.S. 75 in Dallas in late March, sources tell WFAA.

Rice, 23, now faces eight charges in the case -- six counts of collision involving bodily injury, one count of collision involving serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault, according to the arrest warrant. All of the charges are felonies

What’s the nervous level at ?

On 3/31/2024 at 12:39 PM, Billl said:

Why would anyone be in custody?  It was a traffic accident.  There’s pictures of the drivers walking away on foot.  The cars have damage, but they aren’t mangled or anything.  Sounds like they were being stupid, but nobody’s getting arrested over speeding on the Dallas expressway unless they were driving impaired.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:03 PM, Billl said:

Punishable with a maximum fine of $10,000 and loss of a license in TX.  Nobody is going into custody.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:08 PM, Billl said:

You think Rice is getting cuffed over this?

On 3/31/2024 at 2:23 PM, Billl said:

That’s his Corvette, but he wasn’t driving it.  The video shows him getting out of the Lambo.  He’s the second guy getting out of the Lambo through the passenger door which likely means he was the driver.

On 3/31/2024 at 5:02 PM, Billl said:

Not “any” injuries.  It’s $10k and a potential loss of license if the injuries are minor which they were.  Nobody is going to jail over this.  Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble, but worst case scenario is probably a 4 game suspension.

There’s literally video of the occupants of the cars getting out and walking away without so much as a limp.  

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

Arrest warrant issued

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/rashee-rice-arrest-warrant-dallas-crash/3511545/

Arrest warrants have been issued for NFL player and North Texas native Rashee Rice and another driver in connection with a hit-and-run crash on Central Expressway last month that injured four people, Dallas Police say.

Edited by Just Jack

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/rashee-rice-dallas-texas-crash-charges-kansas-city-chiefs-nfl/287-55b4ae10-a0c3-4bc3-b82d-a826d4b80ddf

DALLAS — An arrest warrant has been issued for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice in connection to his involvement in a multi-vehicle crash on U.S. 75 in Dallas in late March, sources tell WFAA.

Rice, 23, now faces eight charges in the case -- six counts of collision involving bodily injury, one count of collision involving serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault, according to the arrest warrant. All of the charges are felonies

What’s the nervous level at ?

You can be a whole different level of petty 😂😂😂. I respect it 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Of course he was going to be arrested. You can't street race, cause a multi car accident, and flee the scene without being charged with something. It was ridiculous when Chiefs fan in here was like "no one's going to be arrested". Whether the punishment will be severe or not is a different story. But he was always going to be charged.

The "serious bodily injury" is interesting as the injuries were always reported as "minor". Though I did say that could simply mean "minor" in the sense that no one died. I also wonder what the "assault" was.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

• Simon changed the title to Police searching for Rashee Rice in connection to accident - Now officially charged
27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wow!  

I legitimately Did Not See That Coming.

I wonder how many "stick" after Rice's best lawyers get on it?

I mean the injuries are going to be based on Doctor's diagnosis right, he rented one car owns the other is on camera.......🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, Nextmanup said:

You can get a DUI for smoking MJ and driving so I would think it's relevant? 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean the injuries are going to be based on Doctor's diagnosis right, he rented one car owns the other is on camera.......🤷‍♂️

One would think, but when you're wealthy and can afford the best attorneys, you get all kinds of stuff like the Kansas City prosecuting attorney accepting a plea deal from Britt Reid for 4 years (commuted by the Governor after 16 months) because they were afraid they wouldn't win in court and get the 7 years he could have faced.....

I'm just thinking that a bunch of the charges will get dropped on some technicalities unearthed by a crack legal team or due to quiet offers to settle with the injured parties who will then stop cooperating with police and ask that the charges be dropped.  Then he'll be offered a plea deal.

35 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

So…0-3 on their 2nd WR picks the last few years. lol 

KC isn't the team to give up on a rookie who had 938 yds and 79 receptions, just 'cuz of a felony charge, or two, or eight.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

KC isn't the team to give up on a rookie who had 938 yds and 79 receptions, just 'cuz of a felony charge, or two, or eight.

Well he does have very impressive yards after crashed ability.

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I witnessed a similar scenario on FDR Drive on the west side of Manhattan last summer.  Don't know if they were "rich athletes" however one of the cars missed hitting my car by inches and then took out a family in a minivan a mile or so later.  These cretins have no regard for human life and should be put in jail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

He’ll get a weekend in jail or something idiotic. I have zero faith in the justice system to actually work when it comes to the uber-wealthy and famous. 

Hard to get away with a slap on the wrist with 8 felonies.  

Given what we know, he should be sharing a cell with Reid's son, but the rich have different rules than the rest of us.

The Chiefs are just full of scumbags, don't get me wrong, it's worked for them football wise...

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:02 PM, Logic said:

I'm on record here as agreeing with that take.

I believe a plea to a lesser charge, a fine, and minimal league discipline is the most likely outcome. I do not believe for a second that Rice will go to jail, because that's not how the American justice system tends to work for rich athletes.

Still, the possibility of jail time exists, and to pretend that it doesn't is silly.

Yes and no.  Yes, they probably get a few more breaks than would others.  But when something egregious happens (like this), or when the star athlete “big times” an officer, they get treated just like everyone else.  Maybe a little more strictly, actually, because the eyes of the public then are upon them.  For example, last year around here a certain mercurial star player acted like a jerk one too many times and found out the hard way that he’s no different from everyone else.  

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Hard to get away with a slap on the wrist with 8 felonies.  

Yeah, that’s gonna take some work to get to slap on a wrist territory.  It’s not impossible, but it’s an issue.  Particularly in view of the fact that there are a lot of “eyes” now on this case. 

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

One would think, but when you're wealthy and can afford the best attorneys, you get all kinds of stuff like the Kansas City prosecuting attorney accepting a plea deal from Britt Reid for 4 years (commuted by the Governor after 16 months) because they were afraid they wouldn't win in court and get the 7 years he could have faced.....

I'm just thinking that a bunch of the charges will get dropped on some technicalities unearthed by a crack legal team or due to quiet offers to settle with the injured parties who will then stop cooperating with police and ask that the charges be dropped.  Then he'll be offered a plea deal.

Yeah I definitely never count out the rich/powerful/or adjacent to it from getting bailed out trouble the rest of us wouldn't, on a positive note he's not in trouble in the same State or district as the team he plays for.

Maybe could plea down to lesser charges, it's hard to see this not being serious though with how aggressive they went at him though.

Edited by Warcodered

greetings.

My thinking is that by fleeing the accident he did save himself the DUI charges that he allegedly could have had otherwise.  It REEKS of being circumstantial he was partying when this all went down

So he did get over on that. How much penalty he saved himself by doing that is an interesting thought.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

greetings.

My thinking is that by fleeing the accident he did save himself the DUI charges that he allegedly could have had otherwise.  It REEKS of being circumstantial he was partying when this all went down

So he did get over on that. How much penalty he saved himself by doing that is an interesting thought.

What are the penalties for DUI vs leaving the scene of an accident?

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

What are the penalties for DUI vs leaving the scene of an accident?

basically yes and in a drag racing context  in which both would have allegedly occured.

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

greetings.

Some random people on twitter reacting to the story suggested they removed a firearm which that could be wild speculation, but they are in Texas, and from when they tried to give Ed Oliver that DUI having a firearm in the vehicle while committing a crime is another misdemeanor not sure how that's worse than leaving the scene of an accident.

19 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes and no.  Yes, they probably get a few more breaks than would others.  But when something egregious happens (like this), or when the star athlete “big times” an officer, they get treated just like everyone else.  Maybe a little more strictly, actually, because the eyes of the public then are upon them.  For example, last year around here a certain mercurial star player acted like a jerk one too many times and found out the hard way that he’s no different from everyone else.  

Yeah, that’s gonna take some work to get to slap on a wrist territory.  It’s not impossible, but it’s an issue.  Particularly in view of the fact that there are a lot of “eyes” now on this case. 

Right. But in this case, Rice has admitted full guilt, turned himself in, is fully cooperating, and is going the total contrition, "throw himself on the mercy of the court" route.

In these types of cases, it's my understanding that prior legal history and a stance of remorse both play big parts, and Rice has been in absolutely no prior legal trouble, and is at least feigning (if not actually feeling) remorse.

At the end of the day, I STILL expect this to be plead down to lesser misdemeanor chargers, a hefty fine and financial restitution paid, no jail time, and no more than four games suspension. Likely just two.

That's my prediction and I'm stickin to it!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1