Bills sign Nicholas Morrow

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Our depth guys always end up playing.  Because the NFL is the injury league.  And last year our special teams sucked.  (Good to see Neal was finally cut. Did he make more then half a dozen good plays in his career w the Bills?) 

And if this guy can make some plays when called upon at LB.  And maybe be good on ST, then its a strong signing.

Beane ain't signing scrubs. 

They also have Dorian Williams who I expect will be much better in year 2 as the primary backup imo. Now they have Morrow and Spector as well and wouldn’t surprise me if they add one late in Day 3 to compete for ST reps 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

They also have Dorian Williams who I expect will be much better in year 2 as the primary backup imo. Now they have Morrow and Spector as well and wouldn’t surprise me if they add one late in Day 3 to compete for ST reps 

I like Dorian Williams also.  I see a lot of upside w his athleticism.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they signed him for league minimum, under that 1.7 million comp number, then great. Good depth. Anything more than that is ridiculous. To me these are the types of signings you make in June after the draft. 

This is where I don't understand the plan. We're prioritizing signings that have no business being prioritized. And we are apparently already almost out of cap space if Spotrac is to be believed. Do we have anything left to materially improve the offense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

This is where I don't understand the plan. We're prioritizing signings that have no business being prioritized. And we are apparently already almost out of cap space if Spotrac is to be believed. Do we have anything left to materially improve the offense?

I understand what you're saying - but we don't have context on their full vision for this offseason.  They're weighing cap space, available FA's, and their own draft boards.

And we don't know what the latter looks like.  Backup LB is a need in their eyes - to them, the decision to go there w/ what limited FA acquisition they can muster under cap might make more sense than looking at the draft, where they may already have players in mind to address our other holes (which include holes at both starting positions and depth).

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Really? Because the one position I thought the Bills might have an overabundance of depth at was LB. This one is a mystery to me 

So he's hopefully less of a liability than AJ Klein

funny you should say that...

• Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

11 draft picks. Really the only thing that needs to be improved on offense is the WR corps and OL depth. This team needs way more defensive help than Offensive help

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

funny you should say that...

Harsh… but fair …

You wonder if AJ might have been better off not taking Beane’s call last January and going on that planned holiday to Key West with the family .

• Thank you (+1) 1

oh SNAP that is an AJ Klein humongous Dis. I dunno about all that snark. I think AJ served us well when we really needed him to do so down the stretch

I don't hate him. He's maybe not REALLY fast but come on now.

For whatever its worth:

PFF says he was 12th out of 46 qualified (300+ run snaps)  LBs vs the run.... and he was slightly better than Bernard in coverage, just behind (ex Bill) Terrell Edmunds

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Was this a need?

He's probably the guy that will fill the role that Klein had in the past a veteran presence incase Bernard goes down like he did in the play offs or if he goes out with a injury during the season . Or he may be that takes Dodson or Matekavich's place if he has ST's play on his resume .

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Harsh… but fair …

You wonder if AJ might have been better off not taking Beane’s call last January and going on that planned holiday to Key West with the family .

probably paid for his families trip for 3 hours of work.  I'd take that deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

11 draft picks.

Yeah and I was hoping the likes of Rapp and Lewis and Morrow would be filled in by those cheap draft picks, not veteran contracts. Obviously the entire depth of the roster isn't going to be just rookies but can't these sorts of signings wait until we know what our draft class looks like?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My guess is they're being patient there. The WR market has been pretty slow, as teams are looking at this year's Draft crop and are hesitant to pull the trigger on big price tags when they can find someone in the Draft that represents equal or greater talent.

I don't see us paying for someone that's going to cost starting WR money. You don't pay that unless you're planning on them starting and they probably aren't going to come here unless that's guaranteed. I don't think we want to do that as the plan is for that to be our 1st Round pick.

We're probably looking at guys like Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, K.J. Osborn, Van Jefferson, or Mecole Hardman. Guys that will come at an Outside WR3 price tag that you feel comfortable starting if the Rookie takes a little while to get his feet under him.

He's probably waiting for that market to play itself out a little bit as to get a good price on someone like that.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah and I was hoping the likes of Rapp and Lewis and Morrow would be filled in by those cheap draft picks, not veteran contracts. Obviously the entire depth of the roster isn't going to be just rookies but can't these sorts of signings wait until we know what our draft class looks like?

Im venturing that Morrow won’t cost much if anything at all and I’m guessing Rapp is going to be a starter which is very low end starter money 

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He’s got to be better than AJ Klein, right?

All due respect because he was a good LB earlier in his career, but a traffic cone is better than AJ Klein at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My guess is they're being patient there. The WR market has been pretty slow, as teams are looking at this year's Draft crop and are hesitant to pull the trigger on big price tags when they can find someone in the Draft that represents equal or greater talent.

I don't see us paying for someone that's going to cost starting WR money. You don't pay that unless you're planning on them starting and they probably aren't going to come here unless that's guaranteed. I don't think we want to do that as the plan is for that to be our 1st Round pick.

We're probably looking at guys like Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, K.J. Osborn, Van Jefferson, or Mecole Hardman. Guys that will come at an Outside WR3 price tag that you feel comfortable starting if the Rookie takes a little while to get his feet under him.

He's probably waiting for that market to play itself out a little bit as to get a good price on someone like that.

I agree.  With the big WR class it will also open up a team willing to trade a vet WR (or even outright cuts).  Beane can then sign a vet

with Tre's cap.  It's a tight cap year and Bills fans have to be patient.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  With the big WR class it will also open up a team willing to trade a vet WR (or even outright cuts).  Beane can then sign a vet

with Tre's cap.  It's a tight cap year and Bills fans have to be patient.

People look at the moves we made and think that meant we were going to be active early in FA. The truth is we had to make those moves just to be able to get under the cap and make moves to fill the starting holes we had on Defense so that we could Draft a WR in Round 1 and fill some of the 20+ bodies that we were moving on from.

Things like only getting 16.5 instead of 24 out of Josh's restructure and just getting 2.5 on a Douglas restructure instead of an extension hampered us more and neutralized Von's unexpected move. Other things like an Oliver restructure or a Taron Johnson extension also haven't been done. So we're effectively nowhere right now until we do.

We were never going to be major players in the first couple days of FA. As you said, patience is key right now. We were always going to play things much like we did last year. Trying to get the best of what's left after the spending spree - on good prices.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

People look at the moves we made and think that meant we were going to be active early in FA. The truth is we had to make those moves just to be able to get under the cap and make moves to fill the starting holes we had and the 20+ bodies that we were moving on from.

Things like only getting 16.5 instead of 24 out of Josh's restructure and just getting 2.5 on a Douglas restructure instead of an extension hampered us more and neutralized Von's unexpected move. Other things like an Oliver restructure or a Taron Johnson extension also haven't been done. So we're effectively nowhere right now until we do.

We were never going to be major players in the first couple days of FA. As you said, patience is key right now. We were always going to play things much like we did last year. Trying to get the best of what's left after the spending spree - on good prices.

Yep.  Only need to look at Spotrac to see the money is almost gone.

3 hours ago, JMM said:

Yikes, looking at the replies on Twitter the Philly fans are literally laughing at this signing. All I know is that the LB and secondary were trash for them last year 

If there is one thing I trust this regime on is finding secondary and LB talent that others miss. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

100% agree. I love Beane but he’s got itchy finger sometimes lol. Needs to take some Ritalin.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not to mention how often these don’t make the roster but cost from $500k to $1m in cap hits anyway. 

This is correct and like you, I am very confused. I would rather have gotten a young starter quality S in FA at a decent contract and then fill in the 49-53 spots after the draft and we see what shakes out.

the whole FA period has been odd. Retaining an old 32 DT and a rotational DE. I thought we were gonna get younger and/or cheaper. it’s far too close to “running it back” to my liking.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Rapp signing is my only issue thus far, as I was hoping for a legit starter via FA.  Perhaps they still have a plan there.

Lewis is super cheap, provides best ROI for his familiarity with system and position versatility/ST play.

Re: Morrow, all I can think is there could be concern with: 1. Injuries occurring again AND/OR 2. Dorian might not pick things up yet in Year 2.

It's a fact that the injury bug hit us hard LY, especially at LB.  But after seeing what happened against KC, I don't think they wanted a rookie in the LB4 spot (especially a late pick) and Dorian hasn't proved anything, except his athleticism.  McDs Def philosophy revolves around strong LB play.  Having a dependable LB3 is a good investment, given recent injury luck and what we have on roster.

Why would we sign a starting LB? That would have been a terrible use of resources.

Yeah, posters are constantly looking at starters and trying to place them on the team as depth or rotational players - as if they'd agree to sign with us for that role or we'd pay what it takes for said player for said role.