DT Foley Fatukasi Meeting with Bills Today-Signed by Texans

I have a feeling he will be signed.  

There is some pass rush potential there, and he is a solid Run Defender.  29 years old. 

I am guessing it will be announced today as a signing fits the mold.  

Now that said he actually has a market so he might wait. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills haven't even been in contact with Daquan Jones. They're going in a different direction this season, cheaper and younger.

Looks like we are filling non-premium positions with players that don't hurt the comp pick formula. NT (when the Fatukasi signing becomes official), safety, backup QB, all players that don't count. Davis, Epenesa, and Jones will probably net us a comp pick as long as we sign no more than 2 qualifying UFAs .

I think Dodson could well net us a pick too.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills are FINALLY playing comp pick Bingo.

Between yesterday's cuts, the recent collecting of more draft picks, and now the embracing of the comp pick collection process...it sure looks like Beane is finally doing what a lot here wanted: Going with a youth movement, taking his salary cap medicine, and getting the Bills into much better shape financially and age-wise going forward. 

As for Fatukasi. Would be a good signing, I think. Not a world beater, but you don't need (and can't afford) 53 world beaters. He's a capable player, and any time you can get a capable player in the trenches and not have it hurt the compensatory pick formula, and can fill a roster hole before free agency's first wave really begins, its a win. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I personally think all these players will qualify for Compensatory Picks (just depends how the Bills sign over them)

Micah Hyde - If he plays probably a 6th 

DaQuan Jones - Probably initially in the 4th range 

Leonard Floyd - This is a 3rd round chance 

Tim Settle - Might get you a 6th qualification 

Tyrel Dodson - Probably a 6th 

AJ Epenesa - Watch this hit 3rd round initially, no lower than a 4th IMO

Gabe Davis - this is a 3rd round

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between yesterday's cuts, the recent collecting of more draft picks, and now the embracing of the comp pick collection process...it sure looks like Beane is finally doing what a lot here wanted: Going with a youth movement, taking his salary cap medicine, and getting the Bills into much better shape financially and age-wise going forward. 

As for Fatukasi. Would be a good signing, I think. Not a world beater, but you don't need (and can't afford) 53 world beaters. He's a capable player, and any time you can get a capable player in the trenches and not have it hurt the compensatory pick formula, and can fill a roster hole before free agency's first wave really begins, its a win. 

Agree a nice 29 year old vet on probably something like a 5M APY.  To take the pressure off your Rookie 1 Tech DT you are likely drafting at some point with your 11 picks 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

If we have a NT who can take on 2-3 blockers and leave Oliver 1-1 vs a guard, then Oliver CAN be a world beater

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I personally think all these players will qualify for Compensatory Picks (just depends how the Bills sign over them)

Micah Hyde - If he plays probably a 6th 

DaQuan Jones - Probably initially in the 4th range 

Leonard Floyd - This is a 3rd round chance 

Tim Settle - Might get you a 6th qualification 

Tyrel Dodson - Probably a 6th 

AJ Epenesa - Watch this hit 3rd round initially, no lower than a 4th IMO

Gabe Davis - this is a 3rd round

Agree a nice 29 year old vet on probably something like a 5M APY.  To take the pressure off your Rookie 1 Tech DT you are likely drafting at some point with your 11 picks 

I heard last week that the players who had void years don't count toward the comp pick formula...........which would eliminate all but Dodson, Epenesa and Davis.

I don't know if that's true but it makes sense.   If you put a void year on them you are, in effect, releasing them if that option isn't exercised.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I heard last week that the players who had void years don't count toward the comp pick formula...........which would eliminate all but Dodson, Epenesa and Davis.

I don't know if that's true but it makes sense.   If you put a void year on them you are, in effect, releasing them if that option isn't exercised.

From what I am tracking it ONLY doesnt count if the PLAYER took the action to void.  Not Automatic Void years. like if I remember Right Revis in NE

Per the CBA

"a UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the Maximum Possible Term of the player’s contract failed to expire solely as the result of a provision stating that a specified contract year or years shall void automatically upon a specified day or date or upon the achievement of a roster condition with no additional contingencies (“Automatic Voidable Year”)"

Over the Cap shows for Minny in 2023 both Tomlinson and Patrick Peterson counted initially, and both their contracts had automatic void years

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

That’s not a real name is it?  It’s more like Mike Hunt or Dick Hurts, right?

Ben Dover

Mona Lott

Aileen Eulick

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Probably.  Got to protect Gabe Davis's 3rd he is going to bring.

Hope I'm off base but I have Davis fetching a 4th MAX. Possibly even a 5th. Of course, it only takes one team to "Christian Kirk" him...but I see him getting about what Lazard got from the Jets last year which netted GB a 5th.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hope I'm off base but I have Davis fetching a 4th MAX. Possibly even a 5th. Of course, it only takes one team to "Christian Kirk" him...but I see him getting about what Lazard got from the Jets last year which netted GB a 5th.

I am going with 4th at the lowest 13M APY  Projected APY on Davis is 14M APY

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they are very similar players who have played similar roles. Jones is 3 years older and more productive so far. Fatukasi is slightly more athletic. If I knew how to post that "why not both" gif, I would. 

both and a 1T draft pick would be fantastic.  Would also open the option for a 3T/1T type like the Illinois guy whose name I can't recall if he falls that far.  

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I have a feeling he will be signed.  

There is some pass rush potential there, and he is a solid Run Defender.  29 years old. 

I am guessing it will be announced today as a signing fits the mold.  

Now that said he actually has a market so he might wait. 

so is he signing today or not?!?!!?  ;)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills haven't even been in contact with Daquan Jones. They're going in a different direction this season, cheaper and younger.

Looks like we are filling non-premium positions with players that don't hurt the comp pick formula. NT (when the Fatukasi signing becomes official), safety, backup QB, all players that don't count. Davis, Epenesa, and Jones will probably net us a comp pick as long as we sign no more than 2 qualifying UFAs .

Just curious - how do we know the bolded part? From Jones?

42 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

both and a 1T draft pick would be fantastic.  Would also open the option for a 3T/1T type like the Illinois guy whose name I can't recall if he falls that far.  

so is he signing today or not?!?!!?  ;)

I think he signs, but I put the market there because I dont think it will be a super cheap type contract.  I would put it at 80/20 signing IMO

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would guess he’s a Jones replacement but who knows.

How dare you !

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Maybe this puts some pressure on daquan Jones to make a decision, but it’s gotta be hard to convince a guy who played for over $10m per year the last 2 seasons to take a deal in the $3-4m range which I guess is what Beane wound want him for.  I’d be surprised if we don’t draft a 1 tech this year also.  

should always draft a space eater. and preferably , a smart one with good hands 

2 hours ago, babulator said:

IDK I'd like to hang onto Daquan. McDermott has always had a stable of vet DL guys to rotate, Id like to think we could find a way to keep him in the mix. I hope they do.

there is likely a consensus amongst who would agree. But it might be a money thang for DJ.

Love the Player though. Talking about him today with another fan. You knew after the play when Settle was in and DJ was out , if you didn't see the line sub

2 hours ago, babulator said:

IDK I'd like to hang onto Daquan. McDermott has always had a stable of vet DL guys to rotate, Id like to think we could find a way to keep him in the mix. I hope they do.

Honestly, I hope they acquire a guy that can play around 70%+ of the snaps and give Groot that chance too. 

Better yet, I hope they are done with this whole mass rotation along the defensive line strategy. Just my 2 ¢. 

11 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Honestly, I hope they acquire a guy that can play around 70%+ of the snaps and give Groot that chance too. 

Better yet, I hope they are done with this whole mass rotation along the defensive line strategy. Just my 2 ¢. 

You still need depth. I like Daquan think he's played well and would like to hang onto him. Idk what his asking price or market demand is though.

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Maybe this puts some pressure on daquan Jones to make a decision, but it’s gotta be hard to convince a guy who played for over $10m per year the last 2 seasons to take a deal in the $3-4m range which I guess is what Beane wound want him for.  I’d be surprised if we don’t draft a 1 tech this year also.  

There is no way he's worth more than 3-4 mil per. Jax discovered that they overpaid with that 30 mil contract they gave him. in that he could not assume the expanded role they envisioned for him. Was thought to be a three down player who could develop as a pass rusher/QB pressure guy. Just didn't materialize. As a rotational run stuffer he would be a good get. He can do that well. I think he played around 50% of Jax def snaps last year.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Everyone has to remember that the comp pick max for each team is 4. Might see the Bills trade a future pick tho now that we are in this scenario 

Yea but that probably means we can afford to sign a qualifying player or two. If we have 4 or 5 of our guys signed and still end up with 3 or 4 comps.

10 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

That’s not a real name is it?  It’s more like Mike Hunt or Dick Hurts, right?

Actually it’s Al Koholick.

In all seriousness, it’s Folorunso Ifeyinka "Foley" Fatukasi. His family is Nigerian. 

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

Mankind or Dude Love it has to be…

Bang bang…

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, babulator said:

The entire dline disappeared against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Its honestly hard for me to imagine anyone of them (including Oliver) are of critical strategic importance to the teams playoff success. 

• Agree 1

As much as I liked DaQuan, I’d be OK with not bringing him back depending what else we do there

if we sign Fatukasi, he can essentially take Jordan Phillips snaps

Drafting Sweat would be fun but obviously unlikely to happen.  

IF Beane takes a few significant swings in free agency, hoping one is higher tier DT

Chris Jones was the difference in the playoffs for the Chiefs this year more than Mahomes.  He might be a top 10 player in the entire league.

If he makes it to Monday unsigned, call his agent and throw a massive offer to him.  Get creative, whatever.  Just do it. The cap keeps going up by 15-20 mil.  His deal could be managed.  

For starters, you could rework Allen’s contract by extending him and creating even more than the 23 million his restructure will create.

Of course we could try to sign Wilkins to ensure he doesn’t grab Josh anymore haha. Fights in camp!!

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

The entire dline disappeared against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Its honestly hard for me to imagine anyone of them (including Oliver) are of critical strategic importance to the teams playoff success. 

Wasn't Oliver being double-teamed b/c whatever the rest of the line was, wasn't doing jack?  Real hard to get to the QB when the O can just focus on one guy.

34 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Wasn't Oliver being double-teamed b/c whatever the rest of the line was, wasn't doing jack?  Real hard to get to the QB when the O can just focus on one guy.

Can have a weaker defensive line if you have a very good defensive backfield to cover.  Weak dbacks and weak defensive line can be painful.