So..after free agency and the draft, do you expect the Bills talent level...

To be:

Worse

Better 

About the Same

Arguments for worse:

Losing key players can't afford to keep

Most of D line free agents

May have cap casualties 

Cap hell..cant pick up any real impact players

Drafting low each round..Best talent already off the board

Argument for Better:

Lots of key positions already locked up like O-line..can target areas of need.

Bills may get discount from some players in free agency as they are a contender

Trust Beanes scouting to pick up talent at a discount...see:Poyer/Hyde

Good depth in WRs in the draft. many gems may be available in middle rounds.

Beane may swing the surprise trade to move up in draft getting impact player

See: Kincaid

What say you?

I think we’ll all be excited about the potential of the offense on paper. They will add talent at WR. The offense is pretty set after they add a WR.

The defense is my biggest question mark. I’m not exactly sure what direction they go in for safety and edge replacements. Do they go with veterans or youth? 

Younger. They need to get younger especially on defense.  Does that make them in better in 2024. Who knows. As we all know it will depend on how well Beane does with the draft.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It won't be better than the team we had in September last year - but it will be better than the team that lost to KC in the playoffs.

Getting back to health will improve this team on its own.  Then, we'll have to see how the draft & FA goes.  We have more picks than usual in the draft, so may get at least a few quality starters.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

To be:

Worse

Better 

About the Same

Arguments for worse:

May have cap casualties 

Argument for Better:

What say you?

I need to see what they’re gonna do on the defensive line

We lost a bunch of players on the team, but we kept our core players, and there are certain positions. We are in a really good position.

We could potentially be better

23 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

To be:

Worse

Better 

About the Same

Arguments for worse:

May have cap casualties 

Argument for Better:

What say you?

I think its likely the offense will be improved upon.  You replace gabe/harty/sherfield offensive snaps with hopefully a vet and a rookie.  You have Brady creating his own offensive identity.  Cook another year in the NFL.  Shakir prepared for a bigger role.  Two TE's.  Etc.

The defense... We are losing a number of players.  But we do get milano back - which is absolutely huge.  Bernard can improve on a promising first year starting.  Secondary wise they have options at CB - and other potential reinforcements in the form of Tre.  Will be interested to see how the team ends up looking after FA and draft, but its easy to forget that by the end of the season they were so banged up that a lot of the players that could potentially be downgrades, weren't even playing.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Younger. They need to get younger especially on defense.  Does that make them in better in 2024. Who knows. As we all know it will depend on how well Beane does with the draft.

They don’t necessarily need to get younger, as in rookies. They can find very cheap veteran starter quality safeties and also find some older edge players for stop gap replacements.

They probably sign 2 veteran starting safeties for the combined cap of Jordan Poyer.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Offense will be better on paper.  We return 10/11 starters plus depth along the OL and will likely make, at least, one big addition to replace him via FA or more likely the Draft.

Defense will likely be a mixed bag.   Dependent upon guys returning from injury (Von, Tre, Milano).  We really need Von to be at least 80% next year.   I'd like to see them tear it down a bit on this side of the ball, but would be surprised to see them do anything with Tre, Douglas and/or Poyer. 

Imo, likely better, people fighting for job opportunities on Defense, and Core players still here, so a push there, on offense, new OC with a fully implemented scheme, and an actual # 1a / 2 boundary WR to help spread coverage for our passing game, what’s not to like? 😁🍸🚬

This General Manager delivers every time. I expect a high-quality product with no step back. He will get the offense a few weapons and 2 defensive lineman who contribute and a couple of add ons in the summer like he did with Poona and Floyd.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think we’ll all be excited about the potential of the offense on paper. They will add talent at WR. The offense is pretty set after they add a WR.

The defense is my biggest question mark. I’m not exactly sure what direction they go in for safety and edge replacements. Do they go with veterans or youth? 

I agree....I'm optimistic we'll add a 1st round quality wr and another later in the draft. I think we'll draft a late round RB (Gore) to supplement Cook & Johnson. 

I am concerned about the DL & S.  That's where we'll need to make better decisions in FA. I say slightly better but minimizing injuries will dictate the success  of this season.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

It's hard to say at this stage,  but I do expect the DL talent, particularly the depth,  to drop off some this year. 

That's a fair assessment as any. I think our S talent to drop a little too. 

3 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

To be:

Worse

Better 

About the Same

Arguments for worse:

May have cap casualties 

Argument for Better:

What say you?

I say there is no way to answer this question because there is no answer that will be true after the draft because you do not know yet what kind of players the rookies will be in the NFL, nor how long it will take to reach their potential or prove to not be the right guy.  Sane with FA's, no way to know who well they fit in and gel here until we see them on the field too.  

Probably about the same maybe slightly worse. I think Floyd and Gabe are gone AJE is also 50/50. If the Bills can resign AJE to a reasonable deal and sign D Jones and some (but not all) of the vets and depth players along with maybe adding a “Connor McGovern” style mid level addition I think the Bills will go into the draft being able to improve the talent level of the team. Just have to hope they can manage the cap well and make smart decisions.

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Option D, I have no damn idea until Camp starts.

I’m also uncertain about how I feel about the Christmas presents I’m going to find under the tree this year. It’s just a bit too early to say. 🤷‍♂️

Obviously we all want the team to be better, but we will have to wait and see what happens before I can even venture a guess. I do expect Beane to fill almost every void in FA so we don’t go into the draft desperate at any position. That’s how he rolls, so I’m eager to see what we look like after all that takes place. 

31 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Whatever happens I expect I will hate it

Yes, I expect you will.   😋

• Haha (+1) 2

Gabe Davis's departure means 750 yards and 7 TDs have to be replaced.  Leonard Floyd accounts for 10.5 sacks.  Between the two, they free up a little under $10 million in cap space.  That's a tough lift just to get back to even.

Beane is going to have to draft well.  Drafting well solves any and every problem in the NFL.

57 minutes ago, Billl said:

Gabe Davis's departure means 750 yards and 7 TDs have to be replaced.  Leonard Floyd accounts for 10.5 sacks.  Between the two, they free up a little under $10 million in cap space.  That's a tough lift just to get back to even.

Beane is going to have to draft well.  Drafting well solves any and every problem in the NFL.

I want a "Neutral thumb" emoji lol.  I give a kinda thumbs down for the first part of your post and a Thumbs up for the 2nd 😁

• Like (+1) 1

Since he became GM of the Bills, I think this upcoming season will be the most challenging for Beane to improve the roster. From my perspective, his main challenge will be building a roster with an improved pass rush. As of this writing the Bills pass rush has taken a step backwards. I wish Beane all the luck in the world for free agency and the draft. GO BILLS!!!!

8 hours ago, Gregg said:

10 draft picks, most likely consolidated to 7 by moving up will infuse a great deal of young, cheap talent.  Contrary to some false narratives, Beane has had more hits than misses in his drafts.

I think I'm on the pessimist side on this year ...The team has a lot of Free Agents and has to do the yearly dance with the devil just to get under the salary cap.

Offense  ... it should be easy to improve WR #2 but they have to draft one, likely in round one, by the time they get to pick #60 any receiver that can help this year will likely be gone. They also have to find someone to backup Cook at RB, as of now they have no one... but RBs are cheap.

Defense ... I expect a crash and burn season from this side of the ball this season. Most if not all of these guys will be gone ...

DE - Floyd, Epenesa

DT - Jones, Phillips, Settle, Ford

LB - Dodson

CB - White, Jackson

S - Hyde, Rapp

That's a lot of talent that will be replaced by draft choices and bargain basement signings... Prove me wrong McBeane.

I expect the roster to be somewhat worse because of our cap situation.

I'm hoping that Beane proves me wrong.  I'm also hoping that Brady schemes up a better offense and that our D remains mostly healthy this year.  Oh, and I'm hoping Von and Tre return to form.  

11 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

To be:

Worse

Better 

About the Same

Arguments for worse:

May have cap casualties 

Argument for Better:

What say you?

Think last year at this time, most posters here were expecting the worst, but after draft everyone was saying how roster was better overall.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I always expect to improve. Will they? We will see next January. 

In any given year about 28 NFL fan bases think the off season moves made the team better. A couple of fan bases will understand they are tearing down to rebuild. Sometime the Super Bowl winner will run into a cap wall and has no where to go but down (Rams a few years back)

But since the 2024 Bills won’t be playing the 2023 Bills it is not really the important question.  The important roster question is “Will the Bills roster be relatively better than the Chiefs/Bengals/Ravens/Titans rosters ?”