After yesterday who is your WR pick at 28?

23 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I am trying to not corner myself into one player this year, because it never seems to go the way I want it to. Instead, I’m trying to put some of the WRs in a bucket and hoping for one of them. 

Right now, I would take one of Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, or AD Mitchell at 28. It seems as though Franklin and Mitchell might still be somewhat realistic. Thomas may have put himself firmly in the top 20 after yesterday.

Mitchell has that big game pedigree that we need. Cosell also loves him and says he thinks he might be a top 10 wr in the league in 3 years. Good enough for me…

I watched Franklin doing the receiver drills and I believe he fell down twice against “air” (and it wasn’t just his feet slipping on the turf).  Certainly not a disqualification, but a bit concerning for a position that requires a lot of coordination.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You are downgrading Troy Franklin that’s how I know that you’re placing too much emphasis on it

Guys that were first round picks do not all of a sudden not become first round picks because of the underwear Olympics

I do wonder, depending on who is still on the board if the bills are not formulating a plan to take a defensive lineman in round one and then trade up and round two for a wide receiver

Once again, not saying, this is what I would do but

Why can’t it be the other way around though?  What if they are planning on getting a WR in 1 and then trade up in 2 to get their DT?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Why can’t it be the other way around though?  What if they are planning on getting a WR in 1 and then trade up in 2 to get their DT?

Totally possible

I just sat through a mock where we did a short, slight trade down and still picked up legette and sweat

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You don't get that kind of frame with that kind of speed with his playmaking tape as a True Outside WR every day (which is what we're looking for).

He ascended and earned some money with how he looked yesterday. Where we're picking is pretty much the sweet spot for him. Trade down and there's a good chance you miss him. Then you're looking at guys like Keon Coleman and Troy Franklin that measured out disappointingly yesterday. 

Would be perfectly happy with Legget

But I think people are making the mistake of thinking that Troy Franklin and Keon Coleman are not going to be good wide receivers

You watch there’s probably gonna be 7 to 8 guys that are going to be contributors in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get the size worries but he seems to play bigger than his size, keeps good balance, and does not shy away from contact 

That’s the biggest problem I have with him tbh

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s the biggest problem I have with him tbh

Fair enough given his size. But I see him bouncing off guys, staying on his feet, and continuing to gain yards, not being treated like he is Derrick Henry’s Josh Norman.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:19 AM, whorlnut said:

I am trying to not corner myself into one player this year, because it never seems to go the way I want it to. Instead, I’m trying to put some of the WRs in a bucket and hoping for one of them. 

Right now, I would take one of Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, or AD Mitchell at 28. It seems as though Franklin and Mitchell might still be somewhat realistic. Thomas may have put himself firmly in the top 20 after yesterday.

Mitchell has that big game pedigree that we need. Cosell also loves him and says he thinks he might be a top 10 wr in the league in 3 years. Good enough for me…

Mitchell would be my pick. He just needs to add 10-15 pounds. Reminds me of CeeDee Lamb. I would be ecstatic. Kincaid and Mitchell in back to back drafts. I think he’s someone that can make a big impact in his rookie year. Having Diggs also gives him a little time to develop as well. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Fair enough given his size. But I see him bouncing off guys, staying on his feet, and continuing to gain yards, not being treated like he is Derrick Henry’s Josh Norman.

Yeah I hear ya- it’ll help his production and the team when he can make plays like that….but it may also lead to injury. I’m not sure that physical style will translate very well to the nfl unless he can add substantial weight/strength

22 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Mitchell would be my pick. He just needs to add 10-15 pounds. Reminds me of CeeDee Lamb. I would be ecstatic. Kincaid and Mitchell in back to back drafts. I think he’s someone that can make a big impact in his rookie year. Having Diggs also gives him a little time to develop as well. 

Yeah he's got great hands and subtlety in his routes. Now add on the measurables from this weekend and I'm all in on him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

You might need someone better at describing play design and tactics to explain this properly. The Bills faced a lot more man coverage last year because they did not have a big X that could push past the initial permitted "interference" at the line of scrimmage, win with speed on outside routes, and bulldoze coverage on intermediate routes. If the Bills had that player, Diggs would face single coverage more often, and the middle of the field would open up for the slot receiver because the opposing team would have to devote more resources to the WR at the X.

Again, I am uncomfortable having to explain all this, because I love McConkey, and I would be thrilled to get him. If there were a way to get the big X and McConkey, who I personally believe is more capable as an outside receiver than many here give him credit, I would be as happy as a pig in . . . mud. I certainly do not agree with those folks who see McConkey as just another slot and a redundancy for Shakir. He is a much more talented receiver, and has wider usage than Shakir.

McConkey & Rice later (could Rice make it to round 3?) might be an option, but I think they will need to go D after getting a WR in 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Yeah he's got great hands and subtlety in his routes. Now add on the measurables from this weekend and I'm all in on him

His measurables this weekend were enough for me to bump him ahead of some of the guys that I had tied with him in terms of grade, but honestly, it kinda leaves me questioning him more if anything. With his hands, routes, and being on paper one of the best athletes of all-time, why did he struggle so much to produce in college at multiple schools? It doesn't really check out. I think some of it can unfortunately be explained away by the fact that he looked like he wasn't really trying on an alarming number of his snaps, but even when he did try, he didn't produce as much as someone with his profile should have. Very strange evaluation.

• Like (+1) 1

I would pick A Mitchell. However, what I would prefer, based on the roster as of this date, is for Byron Murphy to fall to us and pick up Ricky Pearsall in round 2. 

This is my order:

Brian Thomas Jr  - we'll need to trade up

Xavier Worthy  - we'll need to trade up

Xavier Legette - might be there at 28

Adonai Mitchell - might need to trade up 

Troy Franklin - should be available at 28 

Ladd McConkey - should be available at 28

Keon Coleman - he could go mid 1st - late 2nd. No idea. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

His measurables this weekend were enough for me to bump him ahead of some of the guys that I had tied with him in terms of grade, but honestly, it kinda leaves me questioning him more if anything. With his hands, routes, and being on paper one of the best athletes of all-time, why did he struggle so much to produce in college at multiple schools? It doesn't really check out. I think some of it can unfortunately be explained away by the fact that he looked like he wasn't really trying on an alarming number of his snaps, but even when he did try, he didn't produce as much as someone with his profile should have. Very strange evaluation.

Mitchell always played on stacked offenses where they had multiple high-end talents to “feed”.  Just at Texas, they also had RB Brooks - one of the better backs in this draft, Worthy- likely 1st round WR and TE Sanders who might be a 2nd pick, too.

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Mitchell always played on stacked offenses where they had multiple high-end talents to “feed”.  Just at Texas, they also had RB Brooks - one of the better backs in this draft, Worthy- likely 1st round WR and TE Sanders who might be a 2nd pick, too.

Sure, but he ran more pass routes this year than every other WR in the class besides the Odunze and Polk and was still below average in terms of yards. He was near the bottom of the class in terms of targets/pass play and yards/route run too. Other guys that played with talented teammates: Nabers, Thomas, Franklin, Harrison, McConkey, Rice, Tahj Washington, Odunze, Polk, McMillan, Worthy, etc. all above him in that regard, most of them significantly above. Keon Coleman is the only other guy that was in a similar situation and had similar struggles but he at least produced decently well on a per snap basis before he transferred to Florida State.

Thomas or Mitchell.  Both are WR2 out the gate that have WR1 traits down the line. 

If we go Worthy or Franklin at any point, I think we need to double up at WR early. 

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Sure, but he ran more pass routes this year than every other WR in the class besides the Odunze and Polk and was still below average in terms of yards. He was near the bottom of the class in terms of targets/pass play and yards/route run too. Other guys that played with talented teammates: Nabers, Thomas, Franklin, Harrison, McConkey, Rice, Tahj Washington, Odunze, Polk, McMillan, Worthy, etc. all above him in that regard, most of them significantly above. Keon Coleman is the only other guy that was in a similar situation and had similar struggles but he at least produced decently well on a per snap basis before he transferred to Florida State.

Not my intent to argue that Mitchell is who they should draft - or not draft.  I was only offering one possible explanation - that is too many mouths to feed.  I agree that Mitchell’s numbers were underwhelming given the measurables he flashed at the combine.  Something seems maybe a little off.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If we based it solely on stats from college, we would have drafted Josh Rosen instead of Josh Allen.  

There is context, and I trust Beane and his team to do the work to understand the nuances of each.  Personally, I think Mitchell is a true WR1 prospect, although I think Thomas still ranks ahead of him.  Before the combine, I actually like McConkey slightly more than Mitchell.  But post combine, I am much more torn on who I would take if both were on the board at 28 and leaning Mitchell now.  

But I do love McConkey as I think he has the highest floor of the bunch that will be there while still having the same high ceiling.  Im actually quite terrified that KC is going to end up with McConkey personally who I think would be a beast in that offense.  

• Agree 1

I wouldnt discount the thought of some teams going defense or o line early with how deep wr is.  Get a solid player in a position of need and get a solid wr round 2.   

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

& Ladd McConkey.  It would be like having a faster Kelce in their offense 

Ladd is a technician with speed and hands. One thing not mentioned enough about Kelce is that he almost never does what he’s supposed to do. I think Ladd would be more on script. Im Not sure I would fear Ladd. I want him on my team but im not sure I will be game planning to stop him.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If we based it solely on stats from college, we would have drafted Josh Rosen instead of Josh Allen.  

There is context, and I trust Beane and his team to do the work to understand the nuances of each.  Personally, I think Mitchell is a true WR1 prospect, although I think Thomas still ranks ahead of him.  Before the combine, I actually like McConkey slightly more than Mitchell.  But post combine, I am much more torn on who I would take if both were on the board at 28 and leaning Mitchell now.  

But I do love McConkey as I think he has the highest floor of the bunch that will be there while still having the same high ceiling.  Im actually quite terrified that KC is going to end up with McConkey personally who I think would be a beast in that offense.  

Easy solution, draft both.  HAHA.....one can dream.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ladd is a technician with speed and hands. One thing not mentioned enough about Kelce is that he almost never does what he’s supposed to do. I think Ladd would be more on script. Im Not sure I would fear Ladd. I want him on my team but im not sure I will be game planning to stop him.

I don't really want him, but could be convinced it's a good pick.   Kincaid and Shakir just seem too similar 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't really want him, but could be convinced it's a good pick.   Kincaid and Shakir just seem too similar 

He's not just a slot. He could become the new Diggs. He has that skill set, imo.

You still need to add a big X.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The difference is Kelce also a physical mismatch as too big for a DB and too elusive for a LB. Stevie Johnson was able to free lance as a WR. While he was able to put up good stats I wouldn't but him in Diggs' class. 

On 3/3/2024 at 8:10 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're probably the only one who still has Troy Franklin that high. While we all knew Xavier Worthy was fast, we didn't know he was THE fastest to EVER test at ANY position. That's a big deal.

On the flip side, we thought Troy Franklin was 6'3" - he's 6'1". We thought although small, he was 195. He's 175. We thought he had Elite speed like Worthy - he's a 4.4 guy. Then in the on the field drills, he struggled. Probably the most all over the field gauntlet I've ever seen, dropping balls, and falling down in others.

Not to say he can't be a good WR one day. Just to say that the prognosticators were closer to his reality as a mid to late Round 2 guy than the posters of this board who were hyping him up as WR5 prior to the Combine. It was about as bad of a Combine for a guy that was hyped up around these parts as I can remember.

I'm mostly with you.....I probably do have him a little too high here. Overall I'm not the biggest fan, and as I stated, his slight frame coupled with not great hands and I don't think he'll be a Bills target

Ladd is growing on me.  If Thomas is gone, i would take Ladd at 28 and back it up by taking Legette/Corley/Johnny Wilson at 60.  Torn between Ladd, Mitchell and Franklin though

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wanted Franklin at 28 before the combine, but if he’s going to show up 2 inches shorter and almost 20 pounds lighter than his listed ht/wt, that boy better run a 4.3. His time was disappointing for his frame, can he add 20 pounds and maintain 4.4 speed? Not a risk I want to take in round 1.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I wanted Franklin at 28 before the combine, but if he’s going to show up 2 inches shorter and almost 20 pounds lighter than his listed ht/wt, that boy better run a 4.3. His time was disappointing for his frame, can he add 20 pounds and maintain 4.4 speed? Not a risk I want to take in round 1.

He ran fast enough. He’s built like Jordan Addison. Trust your eyes. He plays fast.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

I want guys that separate or guys that understand coverages.  Preferably both.  

Don’t need a pure burner either.  They absolutely just don’t pan out with exception of Hill and Will Fuller (PEDs) for a few weeks.  

That burner better have a well developed route tree and can catch.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I want guys that separate or guys that understand coverages.  Preferably both.  

Don’t need a pure burner either.  They absolutely just don’t pan out with exception of Hill and Will Fuller (PEDs) for a few weeks.  

That burner better have a well developed route tree and can catch.  

Completely agree. I don't need 4.21 speed if his route running is weak. We need separation and clean routes. Players like Thomas, Mitchell, McConkey have these traits with plus speed.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Ladd is growing on me.  If Thomas is gone, i would take Ladd at 28 and back it up by taking Legette/Corley/Johnny Wilson at 60.  Torn between Ladd, Mitchell and Franklin though

I know it’s fun to think about, but I would be incredibly shocked if the Bills took WR in both the 1st and 2nd round with the defense in the shape that it is in currently.  They could not field a DL or S group today and they can’t count on Tre White returning to form at CB.

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

I’m more concerned about how clumsy he (Franklin) looked running pass routes.  If I recall correctly, he tripped twice running against air - and those weren’t cases where his feet slid out from under him.  He has long legs and they seemed awkward trying to make sharp cuts.