After yesterday who is your WR pick at 28?

The combine made this far more difficult than I was expecting. Still have Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze as the top-3 and will be long gone. Here’s my ranking as of today:

Marvin Harrison Jr. - Ohio State

Malik Nabers - LSU

Rome Odunze - Washington

Brian Thomas Jr. - LSU

Adonai Mitchell - Texas

Ladd McConkey - Georgia 

Xavier Worthy - Texas

Xavier Legette - South Carolina

Keon Coleman - FSU

Troy Franklin - Oregon

Ja’Lynn Polk - Washington

I highlighted Thomas Jr, AD, and McConkey as likely targets. Thomas Jr will not make it to 28 but I would consider a trade up if the draft falls in a way that makes sense. AD might need to hop a few spots but will possibly go in the early 20s, McConkey should be there but I want to wait until pro days before being committed.

Worthy I have a 2nd round grade on but absolutely can see someone grabbing him round 1 based on speed alone. Legette looks like a man among boys but his total body of work isn’t as impressive as others (doesn’t mean he isn’t good, but he was a late bloomer. Is that because he was 3-4 years older than some of his competition or Did he turn a corner?)

Coleman and Franklin I had as late 1st/early 2nd grades on but can see some people push them straight to round 2 based on the combine performance. Coleman had a slow 40 but moved well during drills. Franklin had a good 40 but didn’t perform as well during drills. I’ve said it before that they shouldn’t have their stock lowered that much, but I would not be surprised to see them miss round 1 unless they rebound well during pro days. **These two are still great options and I have confidence they will look better in the coming weeks**

Polk is the one guy I don’t think moved up or down for me at all. He’s a 2nd rounder, and a good one. There’s just too many other dudes who do something a little better overall than him. Again, quality player, but he’s not going round 1 barring something crazy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

The combine made this far more difficult than I was expecting. Still have Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze as the top-3 and will be long gone. Here’s my ranking as of today:

Malik Nabers - LSU

Rome Odunze - Washington

Brian Thomas Jr. - LSU

Adonai Mitchell - Texas

Ladd McConkey - Georgia 

Xavier Worthy - Texas

Keon Coleman - FSU

Troy Franklin - Oregon

I highlighted Thomas Jr, AD, and McConkey as likely targets. Thomas Jr will not make it to 28 but I would consider a trade up if the draft falls in a way that makes sense. AD might need to hop a few spots but will possibly go in the early 20s, McConkey should be there but I want to wait until pro days before being committed.

Worthy I have a 2nd round grade on but absolutely can see someone grabbing him round 1 based on speed alone. Legette looks like a man among boys but his total body of work isn’t as impressive as others (doesn’t mean he isn’t good, but he was a late bloomer. Is that because he was 3-4 years older than some of his competition or Did he turn a corner?)

Coleman and Franklin I had as late 1st/early 2nd grades on but can see some people push them straight to round 2 based on the combine performance. Coleman had a slow 40 but moved well during drills. Franklin had a good 40 but didn’t perform as well during drills. I’ve said it before that they shouldn’t have their stock lowered that much, but I would not be surprised to see them miss round 1 unless they rebound well during pro days. **These two are still great options and I have confidence they will look better in the coming weeks**

Polk is the one guy I don’t think moved up or down for me at all. He’s a 2nd rounder, and a good one. There’s just too many other dudes who do something a little better overall than him. Again, quality player, but he’s not going round 1 barring something crazy

I like Polk a lot, but I don’t think he will fit what we are looking for because they have been very vocal about wanting speed and polk was in the 4.5’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the Bills need and want a big X opposite Diggs. For that reason, I have Thomas, Mitchell, and Legette as my top three. I'm not going to cry if McConkey is the selection, but then Beane will still need to get someone for that X role. If Coleman dropped to the second, you'd have to trade up to get him, but McConkey and Coleman would be a dream draft. I personally just don't see Beane going for McConkey at #28, and I do like the three WRs mentioned above quite a bit. I'd be very happy with any of them, but I've already said if we select McConkey, I'm buying his jersey. I'm both an UGA fan and a Bills' fan, and I believe he's going to be very good. 

No, I think it is exceptional. Beane needs to take advantage.

Why do they need a "Big" WR at X?  Jamarr Chase is 6'0. Justin Jefferson 6'1. Diggs 6'0.  Ladd is 5'11" 5/8 bare foot at the combine, that isn't a huge difference from 3 guys listed in the top 5-7  in the NFL.

We need a guy who can get open, and catch balls consistently.  That is Ladd McConkey

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Why do they need a "Big" WR at X?  Jamarr Chase is 6'0. Justin Jefferson 6'1. Diggs 6'0.  Ladd is 5'11" 5/8 bare foot at the combine, that isn't a huge difference from 3 guys listed in the top 5-7  in the NFL.

We need a guy who can get open, and catch balls consistently.  That is Ladd McConkey

You might need someone better at describing play design and tactics to explain this properly. The Bills faced a lot more man coverage last year because they did not have a big X that could push past the initial permitted "interference" at the line of scrimmage, win with speed on outside routes, and bulldoze coverage on intermediate routes. If the Bills had that player, Diggs would face single coverage more often, and the middle of the field would open up for the slot receiver because the opposing team would have to devote more resources to the WR at the X.

Again, I am uncomfortable having to explain all this, because I love McConkey, and I would be thrilled to get him. If there were a way to get the big X and McConkey, who I personally believe is more capable as an outside receiver than many here give him credit, I would be as happy as a pig in . . . mud. I certainly do not agree with those folks who see McConkey as just another slot and a redundancy for Shakir. He is a much more talented receiver, and has wider usage than Shakir.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

If we're staying at #28?

1. Brian Thomas Jr. (a pipe dream at this point)

2. Adonai Mitchell (probably gone as well)

3. Xavier Leggette 

4. Ladd McConkey

Heres how I see it.

Only once in the history of the NFL draft have more than 6 WR been taken n the first round.  That was 2004, 7 were taken, including one at 29 and one at 31.

So I'm thinking at most 6 WR, maybe only 4-5, will be off the board by the time Bills pick.

I also think Worthy is now the 4 WR pick; some GM wont be able to resist that speed.

Which leaves Thomas, Mitchell, Leggette, Franklin all as realistic possibilities.  I like them all, in pretty much that order.

Given the wealth of really good WR on the board, Id be pretty disappointed if we go DE, DT, or S in first round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

What I think BBB wants to do based on his words and comments throughout the off-season:

1. Brian Thomas Jr.

2. Xavier Worthy

3. Adonai Mitchell

4. Xavier Legette

If none of these, we're going DL or DB.

• Like (+1) 2

If it’s not a trade up for one of the top 3 which seems pretty unlikely, and they are locked on taking a receiver in the first, at this point I’d probably think they are choosing between:

Not Bloody Likely -

1. Brian Thomas Jr. - Like Thomas as the best fit. Does everything well, but I don’t think we stand a chance outside of a trade up. 

2. Xavier Worthy - I don’t think he belongs up here, and should be a more realistic target for us, but people take chances early on that type of speed. See John Ross. 

Realistic Targets - in no particular order. 

1. AD Mitchell - I think this dude has a ton of potential. A little like Thomas to me where he seems to offer you a little bit of everything. 

2. Troy Franklin - Like his tape; didn’t love his on field drills yesterday, but probably had more to do with lack of familiarity with those QBs. He is also pretty slight of frame, but that doesn’t seem to matter as much these days. 

3. Tez Walker - Love this dudes skill set. Explosive. Think in the right situation he can be a stud. 

4. Ladd McConkey - Probably not a perfect fit, even though I think he can play more outside than people give him credit for, but this dude is a route running tactician. He just gets open. Everyone on here would love a more explosive cooper kupp type. Josh was even more amazing with a Cole Beasley in the lineup. Also, I’ll leave this here on a pretty amazing Ladd comp:

• Like (+1) 6

37 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think McConkey could be an absolute monster, but he’s tough to get a read on because he clearly possesses outside WR ability but has been hit with the slot narrative.  

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Malik Nabers - LSU

Rome Odunze - Washington

Brian Thomas Jr. - LSU

Adonai Mitchell - Texas

Ladd McConkey - Georgia 

Xavier Worthy - Texas

Keon Coleman - FSU

Troy Franklin - Oregon

If Mitchell makes it to 20, the Bills should trade up IMO.  Immediate #1 WR.  

Mitchell, Diggs, Shakir, Dalton - Josh F-ing Allen.  There was a stretch years ago where the Bills didn’t punt.  2024 Bills this offense would rock!   Bills punter would be cushiest gig.  You can’t stop us KC. 

if Bills made that lightning move, I bet KC and other foes trade up and their is a big WR run

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I am hoping enough guys flashed to push Thomas down. Would love to see him on the Bills.

There are some interesting bigger guys in this draft. The Bills haven’t really tried a bigger receiver with Josh, have they? Gabe is up there, but will likely be gone. I suppose there is Shorter, but I get the sense they like his special teams contributions more than anything he offers at WR. Legette might require the 28th pick, but guys like Means and Rice would not.

Edited by schoolhouserock

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think McConkey could be an absolute monster, but he’s tough to get a read on because he clearly possesses outside WR ability but has been hit with the slot narrative.  

I’m the last to make things about race, I hate when it’s brought up on these boards as a crutch to support one argument or another, but in McConkey’s place I do think it fits. White receivers who are 6’0” or shorter are almost always slot players. I can’t remember the last starting receiver who played on the outside and was white and didn’t have height in his favor: Jordy Nelson, Ed McCaffrey, Cris Collinsworth, who am I missing who was on the shorter side? If Ladd McConkey was a black receiver named Lamont McCoy and he put up the same athletic tests and collegiate statistics, there’d be a good argument to put him amongst the top 3 as a starting outside receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what I hate about this draft…

There are going to be multiple exciting WR prospects on the board when we pick and one of those is going to land with KC…and I’m worried that it’s going to be Ladd who I love in this draft and will go on to be a stud in KC.

I think Thomas would be the pick if he made it to us, but I think he goes before our pick.  

So my pick is Ladd or AD.  I’d be happy with either, but I have a stronger feeling about Ladd who I think has a lower floor than many of the other WRs with one of the highest ceilings in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You might need someone better at describing play design and tactics to explain this properly. The Bills faced a lot more man coverage last year because they did not have a big X that could push past the initial permitted "interference" at the line of scrimmage, win with speed on outside routes, and bulldoze coverage on intermediate routes. If the Bills had that player, Diggs would face single coverage more often, and the middle of the field would open up for the slot receiver because the opposing team would have to devote more resources to the WR at the X.

Again, I am uncomfortable having to explain all this, because I love McConkey, and I would be thrilled to get him. If there were a way to get the big X and McConkey, who I personally believe is more capable as an outside receiver than many here give him credit, I would be as happy as a pig in . . . mud. I certainly do not agree with those folks who see McConkey as just another slot and a redundancy for Shakir. He is a much more talented receiver, and has wider usage than Shakir.

Love the response, thank you.  I feel though mcconkey can beat man coverage, just as Diggs could at Minnesota and his first 2 years here.

But I do get,and appreciate, what you are saying.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is what I hate about this draft…

There are going to be multiple exciting WR prospects on the board when we pick and one of those is going to land with KC…and I’m worried that it’s going to be Ladd who I love in this draft and will go on to be a stud in KC.

I think Thomas would be the pick if he made it to us, but I think he goes before our pick.  

So my pick is Ladd or AD.  I’d be happy with either, but I have a stronger feeling about Ladd who I think has a lower floor than many of the other WRs with one of the highest ceilings in the draft.  

I watched the Gauntlet component again today and Ladd killed it.  Daniel Jeremiah said " don't let him go to KC". They brought up how last year Jeremiah said " Don't let kincaid" go to Buffalo and we know how that turned out.

17 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I’m the last to make things about race, I hate when it’s brought up on these boards as a crutch to support one argument or another, but in McConkey’s place I do think it fits. White receivers who are 6’0” or shorter are almost always slot players. I can’t remember the last starting receiver who played on the outside and was white and didn’t have height in his favor: Jordy Nelson, Ed McCaffrey, Cris Collinsworth, who am I missing who was on the shorter side? If Ladd McConkey was a black receiver named Lamont McCoy and he put up the same athletic tests and collegiate statistics, there’d be a good argument to put him amongst the top 3 as a starting outside receiver. 

I agree 100%. 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Love the response, thank you.  I feel though mcconkey can beat man coverage, just as Diggs could at Minnesota and his first 2 years here.

But I do get,and appreciate, what you are saying.

I watched the Gauntlet component again today and Ladd killed it.  Daniel Jeremiah said " don't let him go to KC". They brought up how last year Jeremiah said " Don't let kincaid" go to Buffalo and we know how that turned out.

I agree 100%. 

Honestly Ladd McConkey landing in KC terrifies me.  I really think this kid has a Cooper Kupp like ceiling and a very how floor.  He is who I want at 28, although I wouldn't be upset with Mitchell either.  

And if Ladd makes it past us, I would bet good money he lands in KC as he would be a perfect fit there as well and that isn't going to be good for anyone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly Ladd McConkey landing in KC terrifies me.  I really think this kid has a Cooper Kupp like ceiling and a very how floor.  He is who I want at 28, although I wouldn't be upset with Mitchell either.  

And if Ladd makes it past us, I would bet good money he lands in KC as he would be a perfect fit there as well and that isn't going to be good for anyone.  

My fear is KC might move up for him.  Someone posted we didn't meet with him at the combine, only Sr. Bowl.  Is that to throw off other teams?

He is the kid I really want, and don't mind moving up to say 20 to get him.  He would make an impact day 1.

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At this point KC's getting a very good wr no matter what. And there's nothing we can do about it.  But what we can do is make absolute sure our target wr (Thomas,  Mitchell, McConkey) fits our system and expectations.  And I'd even consider landing another wr in the 2nd if the value is there.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1