So Spencer Brown what say you?

Just now, John from Riverside said:

We were ready to run him out on a rail, but then his name stopped getting called which is a good thing for an offensive lineman

Did we find our right tackle?

It depends, if he looking for top end money I say move on. If he looking for average money I could see him around another 4-5 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

100% and with more upside to tap into, it’s an exciting situation brewing.

If I’m Bean I try to lock him into a relatively cheap deal by starting RT standards right now. The price tag goes up drastically if he continues to improve.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I like Brown.  I don't have any problem with is play. I think he was unfairly maligned by some, who maybe had unrealistic expectations for him as a starting NFL tackle. He was given baptism by fire as a rookie, and in '22, playing through an injury (bad ankle?) Young and still learning, his play was adequate in '23 and should continue to improve and be a fixture on the line for a good while. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, julian said:

100% and with more upside to tap into, it’s an exciting situation brewing.

If I’m Bean I try to lock him into a relatively cheap deal by starting RT standards right now. The price tag goes up drastically if he continues to improve.

True enough, if he were to be signed to an extension now it certainly will be cheaper than waiting. He does appear to have gotten over his injured back and improved his play noticeably. But we all know that there will be a cohort here that will start whimpering immediately upon the contract being signed…, 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is what SUCKS about the modern NFL.

Brown had some shaky seasons but he’s always been a physical beast (he was probably the best offensive Bill vs the Cowboys, he was mauling them), and we stuck with him, developed him, and now he’s probably gonna get top 6 RT money by a team like the Texans and we are gonna lose him.

So yes, we have found our RT until next seasons, where he plays elsewhere.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is what SUCKS about the modern NFL.

Brown had some shaky seasons but he’s always been a physical beast (he was probably the best offensive Bill vs the Cowboys, he was mauling them), and we stuck with him, developed him, and now he’s probably gonna get top 6 RT money by a team like the Texans and we are gonna lose him.

So yes, we have found our RT until next seasons, where he plays elsewhere.

He strikes me as a Bills lifer  

30 minutes ago, Beast said:

Seems to be but my question is why does the title of this thread make no sense?

I was thinking it was a "Fill in the Blank."  

"Spencer Brown would say you..." 

In your case, definitely NOT a Dolphin fan.

10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He strikes me as a Bills lifer  

I would like to keep him, think it’s going to be about financially impossible. Tackle market is absurd. Jawaan got 4 for $80M. We don’t have that to throw around.

I think he's an average starter and has the possibility of getting better. Stronger in the run game than pass blocking. If he's open to an average starter paycheck...sign him.

Long term my issue with him isn't his play, however I would need to see another year or so of being free from back issues to really invest in him. Backs are one of the more tricky injuries for guys of his size.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We were ready to run him out on a rail, but then his name stopped getting called which is a good thing for an offensive lineman

Did we find our right tackle?

Yes we did Aaron Kromor has done a great job with this oline and I hope Spencer gets his extension soon. Lock em up baby!

Spencer Brown and Bernard are 2 guys most of of the armchair GM crowd were completely wrong about.

I think he's long term answer at RT but still want to see another full season. The sneakier move this offseason is looking for an upgrade/replacement for Morse at center and finding our own Creed Humprey type (who also ultimately replaced Morse after he left KC and they had mixed results with other players)

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think he's an average starter and has the possibility of getting better. Stronger in the run game than pass blocking. If he's open to an average starter paycheck...sign him.

Long term my issue with him isn't his play, however I would need to see another year or so of being free from back issues to really invest in him. Backs are one of the more tricky injuries for guys of his size.

Exactly.  Back injuries to linemen are huge red flags.  Extending players who had been mediocre every year prior to finally playing well is another.  If he's willing to take a very reasonable contract, go for it.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, though.  His upside is a solid RT.  His floor is what he's been every year before this past one.

Beane's biggest strength has been his ability to find capable players in the mid to late rounds.  Tell him to do it again and save your cap space for stars.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

True enough, if he were to be signed to an extension now it certainly will be cheaper than waiting. He does appear to have gotten over his injured back and improved his play noticeably. But we all know that there will be a cohort here that will start whimpering immediately upon the contract being signed…, 

Yeah there will always be those who prefer to be on the safer side of risk vs reward but like someone had stated in the past… if you start listening to the fans, you’ll soon be sitting with the fans.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Am I wrong for being annoyed with the guys who only seem to figure it out in the final year of their rookie deal?  

He has one more year.

Either way the guy has his spot for now, but you should always look for ways to improve there and I wouldn't hat having competition or someone developing if nothing else.

Edited by Warcodered

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Am I wrong for being annoyed with the guys who only seem to figure it out in the final year of their rookie deal?  

No, you aren't wrong.   It's because of the complexity of the systems McDermott wants to run. 

Most rookies contribute very little their rookie season.  The best of them show great improvement in year two - Bernard and Cook.  For many others, it's year three - Brown.

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No, you aren't wrong.   It's because of the complexity of the systems McDermott wants to run. 

Most rookies contribute very little their rookie season.  The best of them show great improvement in year two - Bernard and Cook.  For many others, it's year three - Brown.

Changes are gonna have to be made because we’re gonna need guys to start sooner younger

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Changes are gonna have to be made because we’re gonna need guys to start sooner younger

I think that's true, but I think that's part of the plan, the process.  There have already been exceptions - Benford and Shakir are good examples.  In fact, I think in the later rounds the Bills go for guys with the brains and commitment necessary to get acclimated quickly.  The first couple of rounds are for physical talent, and those are the guys who make take longer to get up to speed. 

But in any case, I think you're right.   This coming season, more so than the past, the Bills are expecting some young players to step up.  I think they have high hopes for Williams.   I expect the Bills to go after a receiver early on, and I expect it will be someone they intend to count on as the 2024 season rolls along, a guy who makes a bigger impact as a rookie than Shakir.  I also expect Bills will be looking a D lineman to contribute early.   The Bills also need a good young corner.  

Having said that, I don't expect as much turnover as some others around here.   If the Bills did nothing but brought in someone to be a solid #2 receiver, with some speed and route running talent, I'd be OK with that.  Diggs, New Guy, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook - I'm good.  Oline is set, although I would be surprised to see the Bills bring in someone who could challenge the existing lineup.   There will be some changes in the D line, but the Bills don't need to clean house.  Linebackers are set.   The defensive backfield will have some changes, but there will be a lot of familiar faces.  

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I think that's true, but I think that's part of the plan, the process.  There have already been exceptions - Benford and Shakir are good examples.  In fact, I think in the later rounds the Bills go for guys with the brains and commitment necessary to get acclimated quickly.  The first couple of rounds are for physical talent, and those are the guys who make take longer to get up to speed. 

But in any case, I think you're right.   This coming season, more so than the past, the Bills are expecting some young players to step up.  I think they have high hopes for Williams.   I expect the Bills to go after a receiver early on, and I expect it will be someone they intend to count on as the 2024 season rolls along, a guy who makes a bigger impact as a rookie than Shakir.  I also expect Bills will be looking a D lineman to contribute early.   The Bills also need a good young corner.  

Having said that, I don't expect as much turnover as some others around here.   If the Bills did nothing but brought in someone to be a solid #2 receiver, with some speed and route running talent, I'd be OK with that.  Diggs, New Guy, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook - I'm good.  Oline is set, although I would be surprised to see the Bills bring in someone who could challenge the existing lineup.   There will be some changes in the D line, but the Bills don't need to clean house.  Linebackers are set.   The defensive backfield will have some changes, but there will be a lot of familiar faces.  

I should add that getting first and second year players to contribute is part of the process.  McDermott explained it when he joined the team.  The collective IQ that the team develops over time has to be taught to the rookies quickly, so they can get up to speed.  McDermott's plan has always been to get to where he is right now - having a high-performing team that can continue to succeed even as good veterans leave the team.  It's not like he just realized last week that he needs some young bloods - he and Beane have been planning for this for a couple of years.  

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Exactly.  Back injuries to linemen are huge red flags.  Extending players who had been mediocre every year prior to finally playing well is another.  If he's willing to take a very reasonable contract, go for it.  I wouldn't break the bank for him, though.  His upside is a solid RT.  His floor is what he's been every year before this past one.

Beane's biggest strength has been his ability to find capable players in the mid to late rounds.  Tell him to do it again and save your cap space for stars.

On the bright side, maybe the back issues help him remain somewhat affordable?  🤷‍♂️

We will have the best feel for how he really is physically. I hope he remains healthy, regardless of where he plays. Bad backs (and feet) for big guys can be rough. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.