Best and Worst QB in Each Team's History

Rubes

Fun to read article from SportsDrop on each NFL team's best and worst QBs.

Bills’ Worst: Nathan Peterman

The Bills have had so many failed quarterbacks over the years that it’s almost impossible to pick just one as the worst ever. But Peterman stands out as a colossal failure in such a short period of time. While he didn’t have high expectations as a fifth-round pick, he failed spectacularly when given a chance.

During Peterman’s rookie year, he was inserted into the starting lineup a week after Buffalo lost 47-10. He proceeded to throw five interceptions in the first half of the game, getting benched at halftime. Peterman was then forced into Buffalo’s playoff game later that season when Tyrod Taylor suffered a concussion. 

He threw the game-ending interception in a 10-3 loss. Yet, he started two more games the following year, throwing one touchdown and seven interceptions on just 81 attempts, finishing his time with the Bills with 12 picks on 130 attempts.

Just remember, this is the guy our current coach picked to start at one point.

Absolutely incredible how this guy ***** the bed when he got the big chance. There have been plenty of really bad QBs for the Bills over the years, but it's hard to argue with just how bad Peterman was when he took the field.

Others you would argue were worse?

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Absolutely incredible how this guy ***** the bed when he got the big chance. There have been plenty of really bad QBs for the Bills over the years, but it's hard to argue with just how bad Peterman was when he took the field.

Peterman was 1-1 in 2017. I think a lot of guys forget (or never experienced) how bad the team was between Ferguson and Kelly.

Vince Ferragamo was 1-8 in 1985, with 5 TD's and 17 INT's.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

Gary Marangi was the worst.  Set an NFL record for QB futility in 1976 with a 35.3 completion % that most likely will never be broken.  He replaced Joe Ferguson the 2nd half of the season after Fergy had a season ending injury and after 1976 never played another down.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaraGa00.htm

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

When you combine stats and his name, Joe Dufek is my choice for worst ever...

1-4, 49% comp %, 4 TD 8 INT

Stats alone it is Peterman by a landslide....

I forgot Dufek.  I’d have to agree when you add the name into the stats, he’s a winner amongst losers

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Tyrod was not cutting it when he got benched look no further than his horrible performance against in the playoffs vs the Jaguars. Also if  look back some felt Peterman was a 2nd Round talent that we got him in the 5th. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nathan-peterman/32005045-5407-1806-8416-0c28f3e38ba0

Toss in the the  preseason he beat Allen for his preseason he was like the best QB in the preseason. In retrospect we should be thankful Peterman was so horrible as never would have lead us to draft Allen.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Peterman was 1-1 in 2017. I think a lot of guys forget (or never experienced) how bad the team was between Ferguson and Kelly.

Vince Ferragamo was 1-8 in 1985, with 5 TD's and 17 INT's.

I was excited when we acquired Vince.  He had led the Rams to the playoffs multiple times - even as far as the Super Bowl.  He threw for 500+ yards in a game once.  I thought we had found a credible QB to replace Fergy.

Ferragamo was the first QB I saw wearing plays on his wrist.  Back in those days, it was a turn-off.  I figured he was either too lazy or dumb to learn the playbook.  Nonetheless, he threw for 377 yards in his first game as a Bill!  We were off and running! 

It was the only good game he ever had as a Bill.  That year, Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison combined for 9 TD passes versus 31 interceptions.   We scored a mere 200 points all season long - far and away, the most anemic offense in the league.  Both of these QBs richly deserve to be in this conversation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Gary Marangi was the worst.  Set an NFL record for QB futility in 1976 with a 35.3 completion % that most likely will never be broken.  He replaced Joe Ferguson the 2nd half of the season after Fergy had a season ending injury and after 1976 never played another down.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaraGa00.htm

Marangi probably edges out Peterman simply because he played more. 7 starts, 0-7 record. Peterman: 5 starts, and amazingly 1-4 because that one win was when we beat the Colts in OT with Joe Webb at QB.

But I'll admit it, it's close ...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was excited when we acquired Vince.  He had led the Rams to the playoffs multiple times - even as far as the Super Bowl.  He threw for 500+ yards in a game once.  I thought we had found a credible QB to replace Fergy.

Ferragamo was the first QB I saw wearing plays on his wrist.  Back in those days, it was a turn-off.  I figured he was either too lazy or dumb to learn the playbook.  Nonetheless, he threw for 377 yards in his first game as a Bill!  We were off and running! 

It was the only good game he ever had as a Bill.  That year, Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison combined for 9 TD passes versus 31 interceptions.   We scored a mere 200 points all season long - far and away, the most anemic offense in the league.  Both of these QBs richly deserve to be in this conversation.  

I remember when he got tackled and messed up his shoulder. He was never the same. He couldn't throw a 10 yard out without lofting it. Too sad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

I loved Kelly, but I don't think there's any question at all that Allen is a better quarterback in every respect. (I don't count hardware, never have.)

Kelly was more consistently accurate with the ball, despite the lower completion percentage. 

Not all good throws are completions.  Sometimes receivers drop balls, or are separated from balls with good hits, or step out of bounds...  And sometimes QBs throw incompletions intentionally or are hit when throwing the ball...

Sometimes, I would watch games and count how many bad throws Kelly made.  In most games, there were very, very few.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Dennis Shaw's 1971 season was THE WORST season by a Bills quarterback in our history.

1-11 record, 1,813 passing yards, 11 TDs, 26 INTs, 51.2% completions.

23423Untitled.png

My first childhood football hero. Really.

In his defense, he messed up his shoulder pretty bad that year. In 1970, he was a slightly more acceptable 3-8-1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Dennis Shaw's 1971 season was THE WORST season by a Bills quarterback in our history.

1-11 record, 1,813 passing yards, 11 TDs, 26 INTs, 51.2% completions.

23423Untitled.png

He also had 12 fumbles.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Marcus Aurelius  remembers  ...

Richie Lucas who was a first round pick in both the 1960 NFL draft and the 1960 American Football League draft. Lucas signed with the Buffalo Bills of the newly-formed AFL, making him officially the BILLS first player!

99130.jpg

Of course he is #11

• Haha (+1) 1

Peterman had a fatal flaw that kills QBs in the pros...arm not strong enough to get enough mustard on sideline passes. That leads to pick-city. As much as I criticize McDermott, Taylor couldn't even break 200 yards in a game the week before when the entire 2nd half was garbage time. McD tried something new, and it obviously blew up in his face.

That being said, I think Tyrod was a good game manager QB. He was likely hindered a bit by Whaley's clear determination to make the Manuel pick work. That all ended the game he made Anthony Lynn start him against the Jets, and Cardale Jones threw for more yards in the 4th quarter.

Brian Brohm takes the cake for me. Two starts, 0 wins, 0 TD's, 5 INT's, 51.9 completion percentage. He had a 9.6 INT percentage, higher than Nathan Peterman's. Peterman at least won a game...

Dan Darragh looks pretty bad (before my time). 11 starts, 10 losses. 42.9 completion percentage. 4 TD's, 22 INT's.

Gary Marangi. 7 starts, 7 losses. 36.7 completion percentage. 12 TD's, 21 INT's.

But yeah, Peterman is up there for sure, especially given the era he played in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My first childhood football hero. Really.

In his defense, he messed up his shoulder pretty bad that year. In 1970, he was a slightly more acceptable 3-8-1.

Offemsive Rookie of Year 1970

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Kelly was more consistently accurate with the ball, despite the lower completion percentage. 

Not all good throws are completions.  Sometimes receivers drop balls, or are separated from balls with good hits, or step out of bounds...  And sometimes QBs throw incompletions intentionally or are hit when throwing the ball...

Sometimes, I would watch games and count how many bad throws Kelly made.  In most games, there were very, very few.  

I disagree Kelly threw maddening interceptions similar to Josh. The only difference is he had two Hall of Famers in Reed and Lofton. Then Bill Brooks that was a premier WR in Indy before he got here. Oh and Thurman who was as complete a RB as you'll ever find. 

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

Brian Brohm takes the cake for me. Two starts, 0 wins, 0 TD's, 5 INT's, 51.9 completion percentage. He had a 9.6 INT percentage, higher than Nathan Peterman's. Peterman at least won a game...

wow. That is a good find. Did not realize Brohm was that bad .

he also only lasted two years in the NFl, both with the Bills.

for all of Peterman’s issues, the guy is still in the league and has played for three different teams. 

Brandon Weeden worse than Johnny Manziel or Brady Quinn? I don't think so.

Seahawks worst QB was Dan McGwire though I concur that Mirer was bad.

The writer doesn't back up assertions with stats. Looks written by AI.

Great topic, garbage article.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Except he is still in the NFL as a backup most recently in Chicago.  If he is really that bad, how is he still in the league?

I ask myself that.

Even though he was still young, when he was cut by the Bills, I thought his NFL career was over.  Reports were that he looked good in camp.  But his regular season performances were stupefyingly bad.  It was the first - and only - time I thought a young guy played himself out of the league.  I was wrong.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.