Bobby Babich Staying, Promoted to DC!

bills742

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

First off I love what this guy brings. BUT... dors he get 100% control over the defense including play calling.

He should. I hope Terry told Sean he needs to step back and just handle HC duties. 

The guy has worked his butt off amd earned this,congrats to him!

McDermott was doing a pretty good job play calling once he had competent play calling on the other side to take the pressure off of both his duties.

However it works out it's a good situation for Babich to develop as a defensive play caller.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer, Hyde, Milano and Bernard all became studs under his coaching 

Technically his dad had Milano he retired seemingly to let his son to keep taking a bigger role, he's 62 maybe he could come back as the LB coach?

• Like (+1) 3

This is sneaky huge news.

He was interviewed for Defensive Coordinator on several teams that have an OFFENSIVE specialized head coach.

It was not a given that he took the job with the Bills. One might argue he could showcase his talents better as a play caller and eventual head coach on one of those coaching staffs. He must have loved it in Buffalo or got a great offer.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The run-it-back Bills back to their usual promote from within routine which to this point has been completely disastrous.  

The end result hasn't been what we wanted, but let's not pretend the Bills haven't been one of the most successful franchises of the last 5 years. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Lol. Another completely surprising move from one bills drive.

For the 6th year in a row they intend to run it back and try again with the same personnel and will hope for a different result.

“we should get rid of all the coaches the players love and respect and play hard for because I’m mad on the internet”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The run-it-back Bills back to their usual promote from within routine which to this point has been completely disastrous.  

The Bills have consistently ranked in the top 10 and/or top 5 in DVOA and points scored since McDermott arrived.

Babich has been a key cog in the coaching wheel the whole time. First he did great work with the safeties, as Hyde and Poyer both became All-Pro caliber players. Then he moved to linebacker, where Milano has developed into an All-Pro and Bernard just had an outstanding sophomore season.

I understand ideological frustration with continuity, given that the Bills have yet to win a Super Bowl under McDermott. To complain about this specific move, though, seems like misplaced frustration. Babich is a good coach, as evidenced by his multiple interviews elsewhere, and this is a good hire.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

He was interviewed for Defensive Coordinator on several teams that have an OFFENSIVE specialized head coach.

It was not a given that he took the job with the Bills. One might argue he could showcase his talents better as a play caller and eventual head coach on one of those coaching staffs. He must have loved it in Buffalo or got a great offer.

I suspect he will probably be brought up to speed calling the defense with the understanding that, at least initially, situationally McDermott will take the wheel.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Lol. Another completely surprising move from one bills drive.

For the 6th year in a row they intend to run it back and try again with the same personnel and will hope for a different result.

1) this is coaching staff, not personnel and 2) neither Babich or Brady were our coordinators at the start of last season, so even your "the same people" comment isn't accurate.  On the staff, sure?  Leading their side of the ball?  Took a few weeks for Brady to get that... :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

While I think McD did a great job as DC this year, I do love this hire. 

McD back to focusing on HC duties, and two young promising coordinators who are already well in tune with the players strengths and weaknesses is exciting for next year.  What I especially love about Babich is how well he did with young talent to get them ready because I think he is going to find himself with a lot of young players on the defensive side of the ball this year.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transient said:

I suspect he will probably be brought up to speed calling the defense with the understanding that, at least initially, situationally McDermott will take the wheel.

I'm guessing Babs and McD will both be hand in hand while Bab get OTJ training.

That's the smartest to do it, I believe 

21 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

what was so sneaky about it? It's been talked about

8 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I haven't seen or heard anything yet.  I'm curious as to how McD envisions this

Have to imagine there will be a transition to that eventually not sure if it will be this year or not. However, I can't imagine taking a promotion and not eventually being able to run defense how you want. Otherwise he would have been better off trying to get job elsewhere.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Special teams needs a complete overhaul IMO. I’m not super down on Bass but he is on a warm seat 

Yup.  Need to bring in a kicker and punter to compete with Bass and Martin.

• Like (+1) 2

Harbaugh at Michigan gives me a bit of hope that new/louder voices and a coach willing to hear those voices and respond with change can break out of a rut.

I get the frustration with more internal promotions from a team that has continued to regress for three years, but maybe Babich gets more responsibility and more say.

This entire off season should be him, McDermott, and the rest of the coaching staff locked in a room until the figure out a way to cover Travis Kelce.  They should be looking at every game he has played over the last 3 years and charting every coverage to find out what has worked the best.  Contrary to popular opinion, he does have very quiet games and figuring out how to take him out of a game should be their primary focus.  Mahomes will be Mahomes, but in my opinion, he's not been the reason we haven't been able to beat the Chiefs.  We can't beat the Chiefs because Mahomes is throwing the ball to Kelce over and over again because he is running wide open most of the time in the secondary.  Any QB could make a lot of those throws to Kelce.  So get it figured out...... 

I know how I would do it, but I've never seen teams actually try it consistently.  I've seen it work when teams do try it, but they just don't do it enough.  GET PHYSICAL.  Some teams do try and jam him off the line and it does work when they are successful in getting their hands on him.  Sometimes they miss and get burned, but that is going to happen.  He's a good player.  If it's me, I'm taking the physicality to an entirely different level.  I am finding where he lines up, assigning 2 guys to press him and jam him immediately off the snap and not even allow him to get into a route on time.  Almost treat him like a dominant defensive tackle where the guard and center are double teaming him before one of them drops off into their next responsibility.

I am not saying you have to never let him release, but just use that 5 yards that press is allowed to it's full extent and make him work for every step.  Try and put him on the ground a couple times if you can.  Make him work every second on his attempted release.  This should throw off the timing enough to allow the pass rush to force Mahomes to look elsewhere.  I'm just sick and tired of watching him line up and get a free release against this defense 90% of the time.  I know teams can try and limit the physicality on certain guys by stacking them or using motion, but force them to try and do this all the time.  Never let them feel comfortable that he is just going to be able to line up and run a route.  And, you know what......  If he had 3 for 35 and you still get beat, fine.....I'll live with that.  But make no mistake about it, not being able to cover Kelce at all, not Mahomes, has been the main reason we have lost to them in the Playoffs.  Yes, our scheme seems to work against most other TEs when we play them, but Kelce kills this team.  Figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I think McD did a great job as DC this year, I do love this hire. 

McD back to focusing on HC duties, and two young promising coordinators who are already well in tune with the players strengths and weaknesses is exciting for next year.  What I especially love about Babich is how well he did with young talent to get them ready because I think he is going to find himself with a lot of young players on the defensive side of the ball this year.  

This is exactly what I wanted to see too.

McDermott, while a good DC, needs to go back to the job he's getting paid for, which is Head Coach. Let your coordinators coordinate, and worry about overseeing the ENTIRE team and keeping all 3 units aligned with the single vision, rowing in the same direction.

• Agree 5

Just like with Brady staying, I'm indifferent on this.

Continuity is great when you are a proven organization that has been to superbowls and won at least one of them. But still get the sense that next year around this time we'll be talking about the same wheels stuck in the mud and Babich being DC not mattering one bit against an elite team/QB in the playoffs.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.