Bills to interview Thad Lewis for OC

2 hours ago, phypon said:

It's from wikipeida, so take it for what it's worth, but it states "Rooney himself contends that Tomlin's hiring did not result from the Rule".

True, but the rule doesn't say you have to hire a minority candidate, just interview one.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/9/20/17877960/the-steelers-didnt-hire-mike-tomlin-because-of-the-rooney-rule-dan-rooney-nfl-roger-goodell-race-nfl

When the Steelers went searching for qualified candidates following Bill Cowher’s resignation, Ron Rivera, the Chargers’ linebackers coach, and Tomlin were two minority candidates that were brought to the Rooneys’ attention because of the aforementioned rule.

However, after interviewing Rivera, that pretty much satisfied the obligation for the new rule. Yet, the Steelers went ahead and interviewed Tomlin, anyway, a man who, as Mr. Rooney put it in his book, Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL, “blew our doors off.”

He was slated for an interview because of the rule, so it seems clear that the rule did what it was supposed to do, at least in that case.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Demeco Ryans. Byran Leftwich. There are other examples too. It is not as rare these days as I think you might think it is. 

Not sure I would call Leftwich a success story. He kinda flamed out as soon as Arians was off the sidelines.  Ryans is a good one. I'll give you that. 

Maybe it's just my own preference for an OC. We just came off the "New OC, never called plays" track in Dorsey. I'm not excited to start at the start of that again. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

But you really don't know if he's qualified or not.  Maybe the Bills know better

Maybe they do. Maybe it would be a Ken Dorsey 2.0 hire with an inexperienced play caller struggling to grasp game flow. If hired, time will tell.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

From memory Thad was out. I think Matt Flynn was brought in to back up and Tuel started. It was 10 and a bit years ago though so memory might be hazy. 

LOL RIGHT!

I do remember after he beat the Fish and was the next savior that Saints game was vomit inducing. 

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

True, but the rule doesn't say you have to hire a minority candidate, just interview one.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/9/20/17877960/the-steelers-didnt-hire-mike-tomlin-because-of-the-rooney-rule-dan-rooney-nfl-roger-goodell-race-nfl

He was slated for an interview because of the rule, so it seems clear that the rule did what it was supposed to do, at least in that case.

What are you talking about??  They already satisfied the rule.  You're reaching.  They interviewed him regardless of the rule and that's the point.  They interviewed because of his credentials.  What the hell is wrong with you??

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Pointing to McVay as the exception is like someone that uses Tom Brady as "the reason" 6th round draft picks are insanely valuable. 

Could Thad be special? Sure. Anything is possible. He could be some sort of wonder kid. But is that the guy you want running the offense on a team with Super Bowl goals? He ready to match up against the Spagnuolos and Anarumos of the NFL? Highly doubtful IMO.

Well, I don't agree with your takes here, but it points out how difficult these hires are. 

There are three kinds of candidates:  (1) Proven coordinators.  If they're young, like Ryans, they take HC jobs.  If they're hold, they rarely move, like Spags.   Bottom line, there aren't many of these available.   Especially offensive coordinators.   (2)  Journeymen guys, like Hackett and, I think, Kellen Moore.  They move around, you know what you're getting, but they aren't superstars.  (3)  Unproven young guys.  Some of them will make it; most won't.  

So, if you've got Super Bowl goals, who do you hire?   There are very few, if any, proven star offensive coordinators who don't already have HC jobs or are about to get one.  So, you're left with the journeymen, who sort have proven that they aren't stars, and unproven guys who might be stars.   

Given that reality, I think if I see a young unproven guy who looks like he has it, yes, I'll take a shot with him.  Is it Thad Lewis?   No idea.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Getting old and enjoying the warmth of my home and all games on tv. 

I enjoy games on TV as well, I actually prefer it but I couldn't imagine not going to a game for 10 years. I just get that itch to attend a game once every 2 years or so. I went the playoff game last weekend and that was the first one I attended since the 2021 season opener and I thought that was a long time lol

The Bills need an experienced OC, case closed. We just saw the disaster Dorsey was this season taking them right to the brink of being eliminated from the playoffs. If McD won't work with an experienced OC then McD needs replaced too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I don't agree with your takes here, but it points out how difficult these hires are. 

There are three kinds of candidates:  (1) Proven coordinators.  If they're young, like Ryans, they take HC jobs.  If they're hold, they rarely move, like Spags.   Bottom line, there aren't many of these available.   Especially offensive coordinators.   (2)  Journeymen guys, like Hackett and, I think, Kellen Moore.  They move around, you know what you're getting, but they aren't superstars.  (3)  Unproven young guys.  Some of them will make it; most won't.  

So, if you've got Super Bowl goals, who do you hire?   There are very few, if any, proven star offensive coordinators who don't already have HC jobs or are about to get one.  So, you're left with the journeymen, who sort have proven that they aren't stars, and unproven guys who might be stars.   

Given that reality, I think if I see a young unproven guy who looks like he has it, yes, I'll take a shot with him.  Is it Thad Lewis?   No idea.

I see all your points as very valid and make perfect sense. 

We have seen McDermott travel both roads in his HC career when it comes to OC. We saw the journeyman in his first 2 hires (Dennison and Daboll). I would say one worked out better than the other. We saw him give a first timer with potential a shout in Dorsey (Something about last names that start with D) and that worked....until it fell apart. 

I don't mind interviewing a Thad Lewis. And if he's the guy for the job, so be it and I hope he's amazing. The only thing I really don't want is what happened last hire. We all knew Dorsey was going to be the guy. They met the bare minimum with 2 minority candidates (Tee Martin and Edgar Bennet) and handed the job to Dorsey. Through 2 interviews this time they seem to be following the same script. 

Now if in the coming days we get a few other various interviews will coaches of different levels I think it would speak to maybe them viewing Lewis as a bit more serious a contender. If it's yet another bare minimum search ending in Brady...then I think the debate could shift to them interviewing because he was willing to interview. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, phypon said:

What are you talking about??  They already satisfied the rule.  You're reaching.  They interviewed him regardless of the rule and that's the point.  They interviewed because of his credentials.  What the hell is wrong with you??

Apparently, what the hell is wrong with me is that I didn't bold the first sentence of the quote so that you would be more likely to notice it.

When the Steelers went searching for qualified candidates following Bill Cowher’s resignation, Ron Rivera, the Chargers’ linebackers coach, and Tomlin were two minority candidates that were brought to the Rooneys’ attention because of the aforementioned rule.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure I would call Leftwich a success story. He kinda flamed out as soon as Arians was off the sidelines.  Ryans is a good one. I'll give you that. 

Maybe it's just my own preference for an OC. We just came off the "New OC, never called plays" track in Dorsey. I'm not excited to start at the start of that again. 

Yea I don't want the Bills to go rookie OC route either. I think that logic is sound for where Buffalo is right now. 

But if we were, for example, the Commanders or the Titans with a first time Head Coach and question mark at QB likely not able to attract a top experienced name then Thad Lewis would absolutely be someone on my list of potential first time OCs I'd like to speak to... with Tee Martin and Jason Vrabel.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

LOL RIGHT!

I do remember after he beat the Fish and was the next savior that Saints game was vomit inducing. 

That Saints game is the only Bills game I have missed since 2007. I was at Wembley watching the 49ers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Apparently, what the hell is wrong with me is that I didn't bold the first sentence of the quote so that you would be more likely to notice it.

It was already satisfied by Rivera.  So, again, you are reaching.  keep trying though.  

Also, "smart guy", re-read the part that was bolded.  It explains it right there.  You literally made the point again.

Edited by phypon
  • Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see all your points as very valid and make perfect sense. 

We have seen McDermott travel both roads in his HC career when it comes to OC. We saw the journeyman in his first 2 hires (Dennison and Daboll). I would say one worked out better than the other. We saw him give a first timer with potential a shout in Dorsey (Something about last names that start with D) and that worked....until it fell apart. 

I don't mind interviewing a Thad Lewis. And if he's the guy for the job, so be it and I hope he's amazing. The only thing I really don't want is what happened last hire. We all knew Dorsey was going to be the guy. They met the bare minimum with 2 minority candidates (Tee Martin and Edgar Bennet) and handed the job to Dorsey. Through 2 interviews this time they seem to be following the same script. 

Now if in the coming days we get a few other various interviews will coaches of different levels I think it would speak to maybe them viewing Lewis as a bit more serious a contender. If it's yet another bare minimum search ending in Brady...then I think the debate could shift to them interviewing because he was willing to interview. Just my opinion.

I agree with all of this.   I really don't have an opinion about why they're interviewing Lewis.   

I do have an opinion about whether Brady should be the guy without throwing a net broadly to look for candidates.   I'd have a short search and hire Brady only if from I'd seen from Brady (speaking as McDermott here) something that told me there was something more coming than what the Bills got so far.  That is, does Brady have an approach that will build on what's there but that couldn't be implemented in the middle of the season?   If all he's going to do is continue to tweak, I'm looking for someone who promises to give me more than tweaks. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't want the Bills to go rookie OC route either. I think that logic is sound for where Buffalo is right now. 

But if we were, for example, the Commanders or the Titans with a first time Head Coach and question mark at QB likely not able to attract a top experienced name then Thad Lewis would absolutely be someone on my list of potential first time OCs I'd like to speak to... with Tee Martin and Jason Vrabel.

That Saints game is the only Bills game I have missed since 2007. I was at Wembley watching the 49ers. 

Probably a good thing. Might be one of the worst halves of football I’ve seen in the last 20-30 years by Buffalo. The end was just as rough lol

Thats funny though, 2007 was the first international series; Dolphins/Giants. Was also at the 9ers/Jags game you are referring to… Been to the majority of them before permanently moving to the USA.

Best Wembley game I attended was Saints/Chargers. Was next to Jonathon Vilma’s family. His father was f—-ing hilarious. Non stop critiquing the game. I remember at one point he missed a tackle on LT and he said “how the heck this boy play football all his life to do that???”  His wife looked at him with a total sassy side eye and “mmmhmmmm” as though he better not embarrass her 😂

A couple of years ago I thought Byron Leftwich had a promising looking career (maybe he still does) but he was fired a year ago and I haven't heard a word of him interviewing anywhere. I think he has been pestering Tomlin to give him a job in Pittsburgh.

6 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

No thanks.  We’re going the interview route because it’s required. There are  a lot more qualified candidates that I’d consider here ……

My guess Brady McD are a package.  Fine, produce next year. If not, & we get a wash rinse repeat it’ll be time to move on…..

"move on" as in move on from McDimwit, right?

Why can't we be proactive and not piss away another year of Josh's prime.

He only has about 3 left with his legs/run game at full strength.

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Tomlin won’t have gotten the Steelers job if he wasn’t given a chance. 

the rule certainly has its flaws but the nepotism/ buddy system in the bro hiring is out of control. You recycle the same garbage coaches/ front office people because they are related to them or friends with them. 

but who needs another Brad Holmes when you can hire the ex Chargers GM who just got fired?

Well said and smart post. 👍

12 hours ago, phypon said:

I also think it's disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to know you're only getting an interview based on the color of your skin.

Isn't it disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to assert he's only getting an interview based on the color of his skin?

Most OCs were position coaches before they got their chance. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

No thanks.  We’re going the interview route because it’s required. There are  a lot more qualified candidates that I’d consider here ……

My guess Brady McD are a package.  Fine, produce next year. If not, & we get a wash rinse repeat it’ll be time to move on…..

I really hope this is it . The thing is I don't trust McBeane to make the proper moves to get us over the hump. I wish we can fire them now! 

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is truth. Getting a foot in the door in the NFL is completely about who you know. That is how most guys who are not ex pros get a shot. 

That's true in the business world as well. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked people put stock and give opportunities to those they know and trust

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Isn't it disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to assert he's only getting an interview based on the color of his skin?

Most OCs were position coaches before they got their chance. 

To assert?  Are you serious?  That's exactly what it is, lol. You can't be that naive.

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

He has a 0% chance of getting the job.  We are "doing him a solid" by giving him interview experience I guess.  I just hate the Rooney rule.  I think qualified candidates will find their ways to jobs by their resume, not because of the color of their skin.

It’s not like this is unique to the NFL.  I was in Mgmt for 10 years, and was pushed to interview minority candidates, but was never forced to hire diversity candidates.  If they impressed, I would hire the best person.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Unfortunately we all know why this is happening.

Maybe so. We had to endure his play on the field, lets not make him a Bill (even as a coach) again.

Maybe I missed this, but interesting that we have not been hearing about any requests to interview Brady for open OC positions.  Does this potentially mean that he is turning down requests or, less likely in my view, that he is not getting any traction?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.