Bills to interview Thad Lewis for OC

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not exactly the proven commodity though for OC? 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Lewis

Yea, experience is not why he's being interviewed by multiple teams this off season. But he does "check a few boxes". 

It's a good chance for him to get his name out there for the future, but most people I think would agree he's not very qualified.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Unfortunately we all know why this is happening.

It isn't unfortunate for Thad Lewis, who gets much needed interview experience with one of the best organizations in the league. Maybe he surprises us and we peg him for future jobs.

Things change very quickly in the NFL. I am a proponent of interviewing as many qualified candidates as possible since there is nothing to lose.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't unfortunate for Thad Lewis, who gets much needed interview experience with one of the best organizations in the league. Maybe he surprises us and we peg him for future jobs.

Things change very quickly in the NFL. I am a proponent of interviewing as many qualified candidates as possible since there is nothing to lose.

Yeah maybe it fills the Rooney rule requirement but even if they're pretty sure about Brady being their guy after how he performed with his opportunity, there's no way they're not taking advantage of the interview process to look around at up and coming offensive mind talent.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah maybe it fills the Rooney rule requirement but even if they're pretty sure about Brady being their guy after how he performed with his opportunity, there's no way they're not taking advantage of the interview process to look around at up and coming offensive mind talent.

Come to think of it, this might actually be an interview for QB coach. There will be a new OC in Tampa so there could be some shake-up in the position coaches.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Tomlin won’t have gotten the Steelers job if he wasn’t given a chance. 

the rule certainly has its flaws but the nepotism/ buddy system in the bro hiring is out of control. You recycle the same garbage coaches/ front office people because they are related to them or friends with them. 

but who needs another Brad Holmes when you can hire the ex Chargers GM who just got fired?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

No thanks.  We’re going the interview route because it’s required. There are  a lot more qualified candidates that I’d consider here ……

My guess Brady McD are a package.  Fine, produce next year. If not, & we get a wash rinse repeat it’ll be time to move on…..

Edited by PayDaBill$

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why? Explain it. Sounds like a young guy getting an opportunity to get a job. 

He has a 0% chance of getting the job.  We are "doing him a solid" by giving him interview experience I guess.  I just hate the Rooney rule.  I think qualified candidates will find their ways to jobs by their resume, not because of the color of their skin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

He has a 0% chance of getting the job.  We are "doing him a solid" by giving him interview experience I guess.  I just hate the Rooney rule.  I think qualified candidates will find their ways to jobs by their resume, not because of the color of their skin.

Yes, if we've learned anything, only the most qualified get NFL jobs!  Nepotism never comes into play!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Explain Nate Hackett? Or Pat Shurmur having two chances to be a head coach? Or Rob Ryan? Or Andy Reid’s ex heroin son being a d line coach? Or garbage Brian Schottmeir? Or a million other examples.

im not saying it’s all racism but it isn’t just the best guys getting the job. There is a guy in high school or college who is a million times better than Hackett but will never get a chance because is dad wasn’t a nfl coach or he’s not friends with the right people. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I also think it's disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to know you're only getting an interview based on the color of your skin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

the rule certainly has its flaws but the nepotism/ buddy system in the bro hiring is out of control. You recycle the same garbage coaches/ front office people because they are related to them or friends with them. 

but who needs another Brad Holmes when you can hire the ex Chargers GM who just got fired?

I agree with all of this. It does seem like the #1 qualification for becoming an NFL coach is having a father who was an NFL coach. I mean the Bills have a Shula and a Shurmur on staff. But Thad Lewis' experience in the NFL consists of two years as an assistant WR coach and one year as a QB coach. I would think that a few more years as an actual position coach would be necessary before getting an OC position. So I think that it would take one heck of an interview for him to get the job.

Just now, Low Positive said:

I agree with all of this. It does seem like the #1 qualification for becoming an NFL coach is having a father who was an NFL coach. I mean the Bills have a Shula and a Shurmur on staff. But Thad Lewis' experience in the NFL consists of two years as an assistant WR coach and one year as a QB coach. I would think that a few more years as an actual position coach would be necessary before getting an OC position. So I think that it would take one heck of an interview for him to get the job.

That’s fair but Dorsey was never an OC at any level when he got the job. Tomlin wasn’t even considered a serious candidate when he interviewed and he has never had a losing season no matter how garbage his qbs are. 

I think giving a people who might not have a chance at the job in the first place ain’t a bad thing. We need less Hacketts and more coaches who earned their way there. 

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It's from wikipeida, so take it for what it's worth, but it states "Rooney himself contends that Tomlin's hiring did not result from the Rule".

• Dislike 1

the rooney rule has goofy aspects to it, but it gives teams a really good cover to talk to people in a situation like ours.

normally, brady would have earned his stay, so going out and talking to guys would potentially create some static back home.  since you HAVE to talk to some minority candidates via the rule, you'd look like you were discriminating the other way if you didn't also look at other guys (minority or otherwise, you can't just like talk to one minority coach, it seems too much like following letter and not spirit of the rule).  in the end, you talk to a lot of people w ideas, and you can sort of grill your internal guy with the ideas you hear from other coaches.  the team has to do so, so brady can't take it personal and no one like josh or others who just want to see him hired can say it's the wrong move either.

the down side is what we are seeing, since 2022 every single team has changed oc, assistant coaches will not stay for long.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Explain Nate Hackett? Or Pat Shurmur having two chances to be a head coach? Or Rob Ryan? Or Andy Reid’s ex heroin son being a d line coach? Or garbage Brian Schottmeir? Or a million other examples.

im not saying it’s all racism but it isn’t just the best guys getting the job. There is a guy in high school or college who is a million times better than Hackett but will never get a chance because is dad wasn’t a nfl coach or he’s not friends with the right people. 

The NFL coaching system is lot more like the medieval guild system than the modern workplace. In the 15th century, a master craftsman would train his son for the profession, ensure he got into the guild, hand down the business to him at the appropriate moment, and the system would perpetuate itself through generations. The wild card in all of this is whether the son deserves it irrespective of whether he had outsized advantages in training/mentorship along the way. Kyle Shanahan is a great coach, and he is where he is because of who his father is. But perhaps he was exposed to learning that no one else gets given who his father was. But of course there's Hackett, Steve Belichick, the Reid kids, Gregg Williams's son, the Shulas, etc. etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It can be infuriating, but once when understands that it has always operated like a medieval craftsmen's guild, it becomes less mystifying. The Rooney Rule cuts against that, which is a good thing.    

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, phypon said:

I also think it's disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to know you're only getting an interview based on the color of your skin.

was the old system of them not getting interviews better? Former backup qb who was the qb coach of helping Baker revive his career is a pretty solid start to a coaching resume. 

a lot of the McVay clones get hired off being first time OCs and qb coaches. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Morris just got another chance after failing in Tampa.

Romeo Crennel got multiple jobs.

Tony Dungy got multiple jobs.

Herm Edwards got multiple jobs.

Todd Bowles got multiple jobs.

I could go on and on with African American coaches that got multiple chances too.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a rarity in that most minority head coaching candidates have a defensive orientation. I think it's wise to interview him, especially given his recent history with our team as a player. If he has anything to offer as a coach he will get head coach interviews in upcoming hiring cycles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, phypon said:

It's from wikipeida, so take it for what it's worth, but it states "Rooney himself contends that Tomlin's hiring did not result from the Rule".

But it probably helped he get a chance that he might not have since Rooney was an advocate for the rule. 

it’s not perfect but I’m so sick of the same garbage people getting recycled.

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Morris just got another chance after failing in Tampa.

Romeo Crennel got multiple jobs.

Tony Dungy got multiple jobs.

Herm Edwards got multiple jobs.

Todd Bowles got multiple jobs.

I could go on and on with African American coaches that got multiple chances too.

Go on. You named like 5 in the history of the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

was the old system of them not getting interviews better? Former backup qb who was the qb coach of helping Baker revive his career is a pretty solid start to a coaching resume. 

a lot of the McVay clones get hired off being first time OCs and qb coaches. 

I think it's 2024, not 1824.

13 minutes ago, phypon said:

This same bad, tired argument every hiring season.

It is absolutely valuable to get interviewing experience and network-building opportunities.

I've literally been through this a number of times myself. Interviewing for spots I didn't really have a shot at, but turned into a great opportunity to get on the radar of executives and surprise/impress them.

When you approach it positively and graciously, it's a great experience and one of the best ways to build your career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He's a rarity in that most minority head coaching candidates have a defensive orientation. I think it's wise to interview him, especially given his recent history with our team as a player. If he has anything to offer as a coach he will get head coach interviews in upcoming hiring cycles.

That is a good point. The guy who was Lewis’ OC who got the Panthers job had a resume that wasn’t crazy long. 

but I agree that offensive coaches definitely are more in demand for head coaching jobs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.