Who are your top 10 QBs in the league

Everyone so far has done a good job listing the top guys

I think Allen is the best QB in the NFL. He wills his team to win despite his HC and guys around him not making plays. 

However I don't think he is a top 5 passer. I think from a pure passing standpoint he has regressed in the last two years.  Perhaos some of that is the elbow and shoulder injuries he dealt with. 

You can say all you want that his INTs are as good as punts from time to time but let's face it his INTs have take points off the board.  He just has to get better taking care of the football. And lastly just like Cam Newton he can't live on his legs forever. If he truly is Elway on steroids then he needs to keep evolving as a passer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Seeing as it’s “Top 10” might as well rank it for this season…

1. Mahomes

2. Josh

3. Burrow

4. Lamar

5. Stroud

6. Tua

7. Purdy

8. Dak

9. Love

10. Goff

Bit high for Burrow seeing as he hardly played but that team is undeniably better when he’s on the field. Maybe on a revision he’s slid all the way to #10 with the others bumped up one spot.

Edited by BBFL

16 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think its tiers…

Josh Lamar Mahomes and Burrow are their own tier imo.

Then it’s Herbert (he’s close to those guys and will get there with Harbaugh)

Then its guys like Hurts, Stafford, Dak…Goff had a great year. 

Then young guys who are on their way, Lawrence, Stroud, Love

Then its mid Tua, Purdy, Baker Mayfield…

And old guys who were elite Rodgers, Wilson. 

And old guys who were meh Carr, Cousins etc.

All my opinions. 

Sorry, but Tua is better than Trevor Lawrence at this stage and Jordan Love as well

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think it's Patrick/Lamar/Joe/Allen/Herbert and Herbert could easily pass Allen next season because he has Harbaugh and Allen has some guy that believes running the ball is how you win. 

End of the day Allen is most talented but being stuck with McDermott has limited his success and will continue to do so

I thought we were talking about the best QBs, not the most successful. Success has to do with such things as having a reliable kicker on your team. On the hand, pure talent isn't everything, either, as Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and (arguably) Justin Herbert have shown. 

In settling the question of who is the best, I feel I'm all alone in arguing for a metric that accounts for differing coaching, scheme, surrounding talent, and so on, at least to the degree possible. For example, I would argue Allen outplayed Mahomes on Sunday since he was playing against a much better defense. His beautiful 65-yard pass to Diggs matched any throw Mahomes made in his career. It shouldn't matter that it was dropped, just like it SHOULD matter that Mahomes threw two incomplete passes, unpressured, in the end zone that should have been TDs. 

On Sunday, I saw a god of a quarterback playing the position as well as anyone could in history, patiently picking apart a top defense not giving him anything easy. His opposite number did not need to be great, since he was playing pitch and catch against third-string practice squad players. Yet you'll hear that Mahomes outplayed Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was trying to think of the 10 QB’s that I’d want for my team.  I’m taking into account age, injury history and performance.

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Love

4. Jackson

5. Purdy

6. Hurts

7. Dak

8. Stroud

9. Burrow

10. Herbert

I discounted Burrow and Herbert for injury concerns.  I elevated Love because he helped me win fantasy and was incredible down the stretch and in the playoffs.   No Tua, because I think he’s one hit away from being done.  Lawrence has a chance to emerge.  Goff has had a great year, but I still think he is more of a game manager than franchise QB. 

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Jackson

5. Herbert

6. Prescott

7. Hurts

8. Stafford

9. Stroud

10. Love

I am probably too low on Stroud and Love but I am a guy who generally wants to see you back it up before I go all in.

And I am not rating Rodgers in this. Haven't seen him all year and while at 30 that wouldn't worry me at 40 it does. He'd be 6th based on his play the last time I saw him. But too much guess work as to how he'd play now.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is tough because of different ages, systems, contracts, etc...  I'll just pretend I can have them one year with average weapons in an offense that demands a lot of its QB (eg., Erhardt-Perkins).

1.)  Mahomes

2.)  Allen

3.)  Burrow

4.)  Lamar

5.)  Herbert

6.)  Stroud

7.)  Prescott

8.)  Cousins

9.)  Lawrence

10.)  Stafford

I'm higher on Cousins than most and that's fine.  ARod was the hardest to leave out but he may be washed coming back from his Achilles injury despite the ayahuasca healing powers.  I never was a fun of Hurts or Tua.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I was trying to think of the 10 QB’s that I’d want for my team.  I’m taking into account age, injury history and performance.

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Love

4. Jackson

5. Purdy

6. Hurts

7. Dak

8. Stroud

9. Burrow

10. Herbert

I discounted Burrow and Herbert for injury concerns.  I elevated Love because he helped me win fantasy and was incredible down the stretch and in the playoffs.   No Tua, because I think he’s one hit away from being done.  Lawrence has a chance to emerge.  Goff has had a great year, but I still think he is more of a game manager than franchise QB. 

If you are taking age and performance into account, then I would have Stroud higher. Look at what he did as a rookie this past year. I think the Texans hit a grand slam with him. They are set at QB for the next 15 or so years. I wouldn't be surprised if Stroud develops into one of the top 2 or 3 QB's in the game going forward.

It's Allen and Mahomes. At the top.

Lamar and Burrow simply are not consistent enough in my eyes. Injuries galore with both of them. I'd probably put both of them in tier 2 by themselves. Tier 3 would be Justin Herbert by himself.

No two QB's have been more consistently great since 2020 than Mahomes and Allen. 

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

If you are taking age and performance into account, then I would have Stroud higher. Look at what he did as a rookie this past year. I think the Texans hit a grand slam with him. They are set at QB for the next 15 or so years. I wouldn't be surprised if Stroud develops into one of the top 2 or 3 QB's in the game going forward.

I'm a UGA fan and the two best individual performances I've seen by an opposing QB (Burrow and LSU excepted) against UGA were Mayfield in the Rose Bowl and Stroud in the Peach Bowl.  Those two literally carried both of their teams in those games. 

However, since Stroud is an NFL rookie, I have a hard time putting him ahead of guys in their prime who have QB'd their teams to multiple playoff appearences like Hurts and Dak.  That said, if he remains healthy, it won't be long until he's a top 5 or so NFL QB.  

So why Love so high? He's probably a little too high, but he QB'd one of my fantasy teams to a title after Herbert got hurt.  Seriously, he looked like Aaron Rodgers getting GB into the playoffs, and with the weapons he has (the Bills should be so lucky) he is on the verge of being in the MVP conversation as early as next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1) Allen/Mahomes

3) Jackson/Burrow

5) Stafford

6) Herbert

7) Stroud

8)) Prescott/Love

10) Cousins

The rankings with 2 QBs I couldn't see enough of a gap between them to separate the two. If I took injury history into account I would have Burrow all the way down at #6 but I just went based on pure abilities.

Edited by HappyDays

On 1/25/2024 at 9:44 AM, LarryMadman said:

Top 10 not in order although Josh and Pat are 1 and 2

Allen

Mahomes

Burrow

Purdy

Tua

Dak

Love

Stroud

Herbert

Rodgers

Second 10 in no order

Goff

Mayfield

Lawrence

Jackson

Watson

Stafford

Cousins

Carr

Wilson

Hurts

No offense but this is insane. Purdy #4? WTF. I’m seeing Purdy on too many of your lists. Do people watch the games or not? What has Purdy done besides throw to wide open pro bowlers and hand off to the best RB on the planet? Jesus I don’t understand what people watch sometimes. Put him in any system other than maybe the dolphins and he’s COOKED. Now he will likely throw 3 TDs to wide open guys against an crappy lions defense Sunday but so what? And Lamar is below him? Stafford too? Unreal. 

Tried to put them in tiers.. point being, there’s only a few decent QBs overall, mostly garbage 

Great

Mahomes

Allen

Lamar 

Burrow

Herbert

Stafford 

Upcoming guys 

Stroud

Love

Lawrence (still can be really good)

Decent I guess

Goff (can only play indoors.. will throw 2 INTs Sunday) 
Dak

Cousins

Baker

Fields

Geno

Hurts

System guys

Tua 

Purdy

Old/Washed

Rodgers 

Russ

Watson

Tannehill

Too early 

Anthony Richardson

Bryce Young 

Sucks

Mac

Daniel Jones 

Howell

Zack Wilson

Jimmy G

Carr 

Ridder

Pickett

My top 10 QB ranking historically has been “if every QB was a free agent tomorrow, what would their contracts rank,” because it takes into account injury risk, youth and ceiling.

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Jackson

Stroud

Herbert

Love

Dak

Lawrence

Hurts 

On the bubble was Cousins, Stafford, Goff, Rodgers for the criterion listed above. I’m starting to lose faith in Hurts but until he crashes and burns I can’t keep him out. 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:44 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

There isn’t a right or wrong answer just was curious as the top 4 seems pretty set in stone

Patrick 

Josh

Lamar 

Joey B

after that you can throw names in a hat Id go 

Matt Stafford

Dak Prescott 

Justin Herbert

Jalen Hurts

Aaron Rogers 

CJ Stroud is a top 5 QB right now.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

My top 10 QB ranking historically has been “if every QB was a free agent tomorrow, what would their contracts rank,” because it takes into account injury risk, youth and ceiling.

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Jackson

Stroud

Herbert

Love

Dak

Lawrence

Hurts 

On the bubble was Cousins, Stafford, Goff, Rodgers for the criterion listed above. I’m starting to lose faith in Hurts but until he crashes and burns I can’t keep him out. 

This is a solid ranking.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Given these criteria I think Stroud would be at worst #3 on the list behind Allen and Mahomes. Might get some votes for having him ahead of Allen even. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Given these criteria I think Stroud would be at worst #3 on the list behind Allen and Mahomes. Might get some votes for having him ahead of Allen even. 

I disagree. While Burrow has been injured twice in his career, he has shown at his peak the ability to beat Mahomes in Arrowhead and go to the Super Bowl. 

Stroud played at a very high level but for only 1 year, and lost to the weight class above him. If I made this list last year, Hurts was rounding out the top 5, now he’s almost on the edge. That matters as well. 

Edited by FireChans

Guys who can carry a team:

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Guys who can elevate a team's system:

Jackson

Dak

Stafford

Rodgers

Guys who are elevated by a system:

Tua

Goff

Purdy

Hurts

Guys who can make the playoffs but will never win:

Carr

Cousins

Murray

Mayfield

Smith

Fields

Guys I dont know what they are yet but have promise:

Love

Stroud

Lawrence

Herbert

Those are 21 guys.  Once you go past that you are in non-starter territory.

If I were to pick a top 10 QBs I'd want on my franchise right now (including age, contract, potential, stats):

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Lamar

5. Stroud

6. Dak

7. Herbert

8. Love

9. Tua

10. Stafford

I think there is a massive drop off after Mahomes & Allen, but if Lamar balls out on Sunday.. I might have to finally put him in that group.

Burrow, injuries and a loaded roster.. still

need to see more from him.  His one playoff run to the Super Bowl was the inverse of Josh Allen Playoffs… carried by his Defense and Kicker. 

• Like (+1) 1

sorry guys, jalen hurts? dude's a bum... not a good thrower of the football. does not belong anywhere near the top 10. 

Stroud/Love are the next generation. They'll be competing for a long time. 

1. Mahomes

2. Allen. 

That's all that matters. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Jackson

5. Herbert

6. Prescott

7. Hurts

8. Stafford

9. Stroud

10. Love

I am probably too low on Stroud and Love but I am a guy who generally wants to see you back it up before I go all in.

And I am not rating Rodgers in this. Haven't seen him all year and while at 30 that wouldn't worry me at 40 it does. He'd be 6th based on his play the last time I saw him. But too much guess work as to how he'd play now.

This is a really good list, but I would move Herbert down to around 10.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:26 PM, finn said:

I thought we were talking about the best QBs, not the most successful. Success has to do with such things as having a reliable kicker on your team. On the hand, pure talent isn't everything, either, as Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and (arguably) Justin Herbert have shown. 

In settling the question of who is the best, I feel I'm all alone in arguing for a metric that accounts for differing coaching, scheme, surrounding talent, and so on, at least to the degree possible. For example, I would argue Allen outplayed Mahomes on Sunday since he was playing against a much better defense. His beautiful 65-yard pass to Diggs matched any throw Mahomes made in his career. It shouldn't matter that it was dropped, just like it SHOULD matter that Mahomes threw two incomplete passes, unpressured, in the end zone that should have been TDs. 

On Sunday, I saw a god of a quarterback playing the position as well as anyone could in history, patiently picking apart a top defense not giving him anything easy. His opposite number did not need to be great, since he was playing pitch and catch against third-string practice squad players. Yet you'll hear that Mahomes outplayed Allen. 

It's crazy to me at times, but it has always been this way.

When analyzing what happened Sunday, I've heard pundits & opposing fans cite the Bills injuries on defense, the poor play of their defense, the huge drops by Diggs & Sherfield, and the plain fact that Reid (with Spags) is a much better coach than McDermott & adjusted more at halftime.

But the conclusion is always the same:  Mahomes bested Allen, again. Mahomes is better by a mile.  Look at the AFCCG's and Super Bowls.

It's just the way it's gonna be until the Bills can break through in the playoffs.  

I don't mind people ranking Mahomes #1, but it's not the blowout that so many say, imo.  I think Allen would have the same accomplishments if he had ended up on KC all those years ago.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Success said:

When analyzing what happened Sunday, I've heard pundits & opposing fans cite the Bills injuries on defense, the poor play of their defense, the huge drops by Diggs & Sherfield, and the plain fact that Reid (with Spags) is a much better coach than McDermott & adjusted more at halftime.

But the conclusion is always the same:  Mahomes bested Allen, again. Mahomes is better by a mile.  Look at the AFCCG's and Super Bowls.

It's just the way it's gonna be until the Bills can break through in the playoffs.  

I don't mind people ranking Mahomes #1, but it's not the blowout that so many say, imo.  I think Allen would have the same accomplishments if he had ended up on KC all those years ago.

He’s just inevitable man. 

We heard “Mahomes has two HoF targets, but he’s been figured out!”

They went to the Super Bowl.

Then it was “he lost Hill, let’s see how he does now!”

They won the Super Bowl.

Then we heard, “this is the weakest KC offense we have ever seen, their best weapon is their running back and Kelce has lost a step.”

They are in their 6th straight AFCCG. And they beat us. Again.

It’s not much different than when everyone was eagerly expecting the end of the Pats when they would start out 2-2 and look out of sync, only for them to end up in the AFCCG again. 

At this point, I would be SHOCKED if KC wasn’t in the next 5/10 AFCCG’s. They are going to always be a deep playoff team. It’s inevitable. 

Will Josh Allen be in the next 5 AFCCG’s? Maybe. I doubt it. Allen is incredible and a wonder to watch, but at some point it stops being a coincidence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He’s just inevitable man. 

We heard “Mahomes has two HoF targets, but he’s been figured out!”

They went to the Super Bowl.

Then it was “he lost Hill, let’s see how he does now!”

They won the Super Bowl.

Then we heard, “this is the weakest KC offense we have ever seen, their best weapon is their running back and Kelce has lost a step.”

They are in their 6th straight AFCCG. And they beat us. Again.

It’s not much different than when everyone was eagerly expecting the end of the Pats when they would start out 2-2 and look out of sync, only for them to end up in the AFCCG again. 

At this point, I would be SHOCKED if KC wasn’t in the next 5/10 AFCCG’s. They are going to always be a deep playoff team. It’s inevitable. 

Will Josh Allen be in the next 5 AFCCG’s? Maybe. I doubt it. Allen is incredible and a wonder to watch, but at some point it stops being a coincidence.

So, just a thought exercise (and it's been posed here before, I know):  if Mahomes came to the Bills in that draft, and Allen ended up in KC - with all of the rest being the same - do you think you would still be saying all of the above?

Would Reid be without a SB? Would McDermott have 2?

38 minutes ago, Success said:

If we don’t get hit with a rash of injuries the last two weeks before KC or our WR’s step tf up just the slightest bit in that game…

We win and are playing on Sunday

And…

Allen would have beaten Mahomes repeatedly head to head aside from 13 seconds 

Leading to..

The very real convo being had in sports media this week of “Is Josh Allen the best QB in the NFL?”

The difference between the narrative we see now and what could’ve been has nothing to do with Josh Allen.  It has to do with his coaches and teammates.  

It is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Success said:

So, just a thought exercise (and it's been posed here before, I know):  if Mahomes came to the Bills in that draft, and Allen ended up in KC - with all of the rest being the same - do you think you would still be saying all of the above?

Would Reid be without a SB? Would McDermott have 2?

I think it’s possible that McD has one and Reid has zero, yeah.

Edited by FireChans
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, FireChans said:

I think it’s possible that McD has one and Reid has zero, yeah.

Not a chance, imo.

Allen has been undone by coaching, and the team in general.  He carries the Bills - it's a one man show at times, and it was on Sunday.

Mahomes has rarely carried his team the same way.  Mahomes wouldn't have a ring here.  And Allen for sure would have at least one in KC.

• Agree 1

Just now, Success said:

Not a chance, imo.

Allen has been undone by coaching, and the team in general.  He carries the Bills - it's a one man show at times, and it was on Sunday.

Mahomes has rarely carried his team the same way.  Mahomes wouldn't have a ring here.  And Allen for sure would have at least one in KC.

Mahomes brought one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the AFCCG. Josh Allen has had a top 5 defense every year but one, and ironically that was the year he got to the AFCCG.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Guys who can carry a team:

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Guys who can elevate a team's system:

Jackson

Dak

Stafford

Rodgers

Guys who are elevated by a system:

Tua

Goff

Purdy

Hurts

Guys who can make the playoffs but will never win:

Carr

Cousins

Murray

Mayfield

Smith

Fields

Guys I dont know what they are yet but have promise:

Love

Stroud

Lawrence

Herbert

Those are 21 guys.  Once you go past that you are in non-starter territory.

If I were to pick a top 10 QBs I'd want on my franchise right now (including age, contract, potential, stats):

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Lamar

5. Stroud

6. Dak

7. Herbert

8. Love

9. Tua

10. Stafford

And that's the end of the thread.  100% accurate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.